HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS eliminating 0s
Posted by: Dumbisdumbdoes ()
Date: June 19, 2016 06:48AM

I don't know if any of you have seen the new policy but students can not get lower than 50 on an assignment. Now Jose and Juan can randomly show up, occasionally do work on easy assignments and squeak by with a D. Gracias!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS eliminating 0s
Posted by: Not Entirely True ()
Date: June 19, 2016 10:24AM

According to new guidelines published last week, a zero can be given at the end of the quarter if the work is not completed in a reasonable manner.

Posted by: Ban the O ()
Date: June 19, 2016 10:39AM

We have 5 vowels, not counting the sometimes Ys and Ws. That's more than enough.

And to we really need all 26 letters?

Dump the O. It's a good start.

Signed, Ryan Mc.

Posted by: Dumbisdumbdoes ()
Date: June 19, 2016 05:30PM

Bug if any work is done you have to give a 50. No more bombing tests. As long as you put your name you get 50. I am sure Paco can't screw that up.

Posted by: dLntw ()
Date: June 19, 2016 06:11PM

Dumbisdumbdoes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bug if any work is done you have to give a 50. No
> more bombing tests. As long as you put your name
> you get 50. I am sure Paco can't screw that up.

^ this is false information

ignore thread

Posted by: FpyXe ()
Date: June 20, 2016 01:27PM

Posted by: dumbisdumbdoes ()
Date: June 20, 2016 04:59PM

Look at the link above.

Limiting or Eliminating Zeros in a 100 Point Scale
• If a student has been given multiple opportunities to complete work and has not done so, a 0 may be entered in the gradebook
at the end of the quarter.
• If a student has made a reasonable attempt to complete work, teams are encouraged to assign a grade no lower than 50.
• Schools that have established “no zero” polices in previous years may continue those policies.

I am sure most schools (Stuart, Lee, Vernon) will highly discourage teachers from giving zeros. Good lesson. I mean in the real world you get 50% of you paycheck for just showing up right.

My guess is we will see more kids passing classes even though they failed the SOL.

Posted by: dumbisdumbdoes ()
Date: June 20, 2016 05:02PM

My roommate works for a FCPS high school and they are also strongly discouraging teachers to use a grade point scale to calculate final grades.So lets say Paco gets a C first quarter and a D+ second quarter than decides going to the restoom and talking to his friends is more important for 3rd and 4th quarter and he bombs those quarters with 0%, guess what he gets a D still. Soon kids will find out they only have to work the first quarter and they get a passing grade. If you get an A the first quarter and don't even go to school the next three quarters you will get a D grade.

Posted by: Coddle the children ()
Date: June 20, 2016 05:34PM

multiple opportunities to complete work

Fucking love this. So not only is homework no longer counted for a grade, just whether its complete or not, but students get more than one attempt to hand it in. Certainly does not teach responsibility. Just wait till they get into the working world and have these strange things called deadlines that they are expected to hit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.