HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Seeking affordable family law attorney (Alexandria City Court) re: custody
Posted by: xyz123texas ()
Date: May 19, 2016 09:59AM

Anyone have an effective but affordable attorney (or is that an oxymoron) :) that practices family law. I am a father stuck in midst of a custody battle and would like to file a motion to stop ex from moving out of state to Maryland. Not sure if I should waste my money but might be worth a consultation. Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Not really look for one of the "big dogs" but maybe an upcoming hungry attorney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking affordable family law attorney (Alexandria City Court) re: custody
Posted by: xyz123texas1 ()
Date: May 19, 2016 10:34AM

Don't be an asshole... Just let her move.

Date: May 19, 2016 10:36AM

She can move all she wants just leave our son behind.

Posted by: Divorce Victim ()
Date: May 19, 2016 11:02AM

Sir, You are in for a "Class A" Butt fucking. Shelter, hide or bury any money you can.

Say your prayers, because you don't have one.

Posted by: Legal Warning ()
Date: May 19, 2016 11:07AM

A decent family law attorney in this area is going to run you between $250 and $400 per hour. If you are paying less than this range, chances are your attorney isn't experienced, isn't very good or both. It would probably be easier to find an attorney within this range who would offer you a payment plan than it would be to find an attorney who charged a lower rate. It isn't just the rate. It is also the number of hours the case would take. If the matter would ordinarily take 10 hours, there are some that might be able to do it in 7 or 8, while others are going to take 20.

Where is she moving in Maryland? Moving from Fairfax to Montgomery or Price Georges isn't likely to be considered major whereas moving from Fairfax to Williamsburg or Roanoke probably would be. If the move is within the metropolitan area you will probably need to show specific reasons why this particular move is a bad idea for the children. Less convenient for you probably won't cut it.

Date: May 19, 2016 11:12AM

Thanks for the feedback @ Legal Warning. Moving from Alexandria City to Anne Arrundel County so still withing the metro area. Yeah I am thinking that I may not have much leverage esp with her having primary physical custody.

It is that I just moved to Alexandria last year following her and now another move just a year later. Was hoping that something is in place that prevents this beltway chase.

Thanks again for advice and it might be worth spending a full day in court to get the same response...$15k later

Date: May 19, 2016 11:13AM

* sorry I meant "might NOT be worth spending a full day in court *

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.