HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County School Board to Consider Late Opening for Presidential Primary in March 2016
Posted by: FCPS Public Affairs Office ()
Date: October 09, 2015 05:22PM

Fairfax County School Board to Consider Late Opening for Presidential Primary in March 2016

The Fairfax County School Board has received a request from the Fairfax County Board of Elections to consider a two-hour delayed opening for school on Tuesday, March 1, 2016, to accommodate an anticipated increase in voter turnout for the 2016 presidential primary, also known as Super Tuesday.

This action would result in a revision to the 2015-16 standard school year calendar requiring a School Board vote, which will take place at its October 22 business meeting. If the Board does vote for the delayed opening, it will reduce the number of built-in inclement weather days from 13 to 12.7 for the 2015-16 school year.

A total of 165 of the 196 schools and centers in Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) are used as polling places. FCPS policies and regulations require that parking spaces are to be reserved for voters. Based on the anticipated numbers of voters who are expected to participate in the presidential primary, and to avoid congestion at the schools during arrival times, the Board is considering the delayed opening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County School Board to Consider Late Opening for Presidential Primary in March 2016
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: October 09, 2015 05:43PM

So what? They should get the whole day off. It’s not like they will get any learning done after opening late.

Re: Fairfax County School Board to Consider Late Opening for Presidential Primary in March 2016
Posted by: I Thought ()
Date: October 10, 2015 01:31PM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what? They should get the whole day off.
> It’s not like they will get any learning done
> after opening late.

When it comes to Presidential elections, I thought the schools were closed on those days. I don't seem to recall them remaining open. When it comes to primaries and smaller elections, the schools have remained open though.

Posted by: Always a Reason ()
Date: October 10, 2015 01:40PM

Fairfax Democrats studied the voting patterns for similar elections and determined that they would have better turnout this way, so they approached the school board and asked to be accommodated. their concern is that in a small turnout the less desirable fringe candidates have a better chance.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: October 10, 2015 01:44PM

I Thought Wrote:
> causeican Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So what? They should get the whole day off.
> > It’s not like they will get any learning done
> > after opening late.
>
>
> When it comes to Presidential elections, I thought
> the schools were closed on those days. I don't
> seem to recall them remaining open. When it comes
> to primaries and smaller elections, the schools
> have remained open though.

This is right, however FCPS tends to do parent teacher conferences and the like on those days, which doesn't help given the problems with parking.

Glad to see, given the potential for competitive presidential primaries for both parties, that they're thinking ahead.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: October 11, 2015 06:53AM

Why? With all of the options available like absentee voting, early voting and the polls being open from 6am to 7pm there is an abundant opportunities to vote. It is not like there will be hours long wait to vote. It is a primary for heaven sake! I have never waited longer than 10 minutes during a primary.

Date: October 11, 2015 11:20AM

Inquisitive One Wrote:
> Why? With all of the options available like
> absentee voting, early voting and the polls being
> open from 6am to 7pm there is an abundant
> opportunities to vote. It is not like there will
> be hours long wait to vote. It is a primary for
> heaven sake! I have never waited longer than 10
> minutes during a primary.

Parking.

Posted by: Brian 4 Dog Catcher ()
Date: October 11, 2015 11:38AM

Attachments:
Brian Schoeneman dog catcher.jpg

Date: October 11, 2015 12:12PM

Okay, I give you credit. Never been called a vampire before.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.