HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
anyone here ever live or work inside the I-270 spur?
Posted by: I need to know ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:27PM

what is it like there? is it considered like an isolated little town? I noticed they have a high school and elementary school. are there people who say they are "from the spur" or "spur-ites"? Does anyone call it "Spur-Town"? any other theories about this place? I notice there are many defense contractors located inside the I-270 spur. Could the spur actually be a secret government compound? Are there any secret tunnels leading from the metro to the spur?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone here ever live or work inside the I-270 spur?
Posted by: I need to know ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:30PM

-
Attachments:
SPUR.png

Posted by: 6hjev ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:31PM

holy shit, the grosvenor metro is right next to it. definitely a tunnel complex connecting it to Lockheed, possibly the "high school" also.

Posted by: kbdMb ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:34PM

this looks like a replica of MI6 headquarters.
Attachments:
MI6.png
UK---Landmarks---SIS-Buil-001.jpg

Posted by: Tn496 ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:36PM

wow wtf lol

Posted by: tEWVh ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:38PM

There are waaaaay too many hotels in the spur... that is suspicious. I bet the highways surrounding this area would serve as a barrier in case the place needed to be fortified. Lots of housing.

Posted by: nuVcX ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:41PM

There is also an electrical substation just outside the northwest perimeter. How convenient.

Posted by: utGnu ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:45PM

Oh my God. The professional association for photogrammetry (satellite imagery analysis) is located inside the spur, southeast corner. Holy shit.
Attachments:
photo.png

Posted by: 79bNp ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:46PM

and the US Composting Council, whatever the fuck that is. sounds like a cover.

Posted by: Original Spuridian ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:46PM

I was born inside the Spur. As a youngster, no one talked about life outside of it. Instead of dollars, companies paid 'spurs', which could be spent in company stores (also called 'spurs'). We were only able to watch San Antio Spurs games and Tottenham matches.

We were finally set free in 2008 by Obama.

Posted by: dLJjJ ()
Date: October 02, 2015 10:55PM

Original Spuridian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was born inside the Spur. As a youngster, no
> one talked about life outside of it. Instead of
> dollars, companies paid 'spurs', which could be
> spent in company stores (also called 'spurs'). We
> were only able to watch San Antio Spurs games and
> Tottenham matches.
>
> We were finally set free in 2008 by Obama.

sounds rough.

Posted by: Vkjnp ()
Date: October 02, 2015 11:08PM

southwest corner appears to have communications equipment. interestingly you can see the wall along I-495 at the bottom of this picture. very useful feature for repelling a ground attack / seige.
Attachments:
radio.png

Posted by: PDjLF ()
Date: October 02, 2015 11:11PM

Hmm, the sign says WMAL radio. I don't know how that fits into this.
Attachments:
wmal.png

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: October 02, 2015 11:27PM

IBM Federal Systems is still there or used to be there. I think there was an employee shooting or disturbance there long ago. Marriott is supposed to have a very nice cafereria.

Posted by: Idiots here ()
Date: October 05, 2015 02:19PM

Those are the fucking WMAL towers that have been there forever! Freaking losers!

Posted by: bhWnk ()
Date: October 05, 2015 05:04PM

Idiots here Wrote:
> Those are the fucking WMAL towers that have been
> there forever! Freaking losers!

THATS WHAT THEY WANT YOU THINK

Posted by: yes ()
Date: October 05, 2015 05:06PM

yes

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 05, 2015 05:52PM

Pooks Hill 4 Life bitches.Jack-Nicholson-lol.gif

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 06:30AM by WingNut.

Posted by: ol ball coach ()
Date: October 06, 2015 09:49AM

Original Spuridian Wrote:
> I was born inside the Spur. As a youngster, no
> one talked about life outside of it. Instead of
> dollars, companies paid 'spurs', which could be
> spent in company stores (also called 'spurs'). We
> were only able to watch San Antio Spurs games and
> Tottenham matches.
>
> We were finally set free in 2008 by Obama.

Did Steve Spurrier come in to coach youth football there?

Posted by: in the know6 ()
Date: October 06, 2015 10:15AM

The spur is home to a unit of patriot missile systems and has a underground silo carrying something 2x as strong as tsar bomba.

Posted by: Fairfax Felix ()
Date: October 06, 2015 04:24PM

I worked in the 270 spur area or a telcom firm. Parking was an issue. Maryland in an effort to encourage car pooling and use of public transportation limited the number of parking spaces allowed for large office buildings. This presented a a horrendous, expensive problem for folks that needed to drive to work. I had to park at Montgomery Mall and walk over the bridge to the work site. Also, you had to travel outside the spur for lunch, etc unless you used the cafeterias. QWL kinda bad.
Regardless, I would never want to work in Maryland again.

Posted by: xtJ3d ()
Date: October 06, 2015 06:49PM

Paranoid post but there is probably more interesting government shit inside "the spur" than in all of Indiana.

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: October 06, 2015 07:46PM

Don't know much about it other than it's seemingly a black hole for common sense when it comes to driving. Hours of back up for absolutely no reason at all.

Posted by: some more info. ()
Date: October 07, 2015 04:16AM

White people from maryland are...different. not sure what specifically it is, but its true.

Posted by: spur town news ()
Date: July 08, 2016 09:38AM

Major developments in spurtown. The WMAL radio towers are being replaced with a housing development.

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/Web-2016/Developer-of-WMAL-Radio-Towers-Site-Says-Traffic-Will-Remain-Within-Countys-Congestion-Standards/

WMAL Radio Towers Site Developer Says Traffic Would Not Exceed County’s Congestion Standards

A traffic study commissioned by the developer planning to build a 328-home neighborhood in Bethesda says vehicle trips generated by the project wouldn’t exceed the county’s traffic congestion standards for nearby intersections.

The finding, detailed in a 116-page report from traffic consultant Wells + Associates for developer Toll Brothers, was based on a projected 209 morning rush-hour vehicle trips out of and 271 afternoon rush-hour vehicle trips into the new neighborhood. Using those trip generation numbers, which are based on a county Planning Department methodology, congestion would be below the county’s thresholds for vehicle capacity at the eight intersections.

“Therefore, no off site road improvements are required,” reads the report, which was submitted to the county Planning Department as part of Toll Brothers’ preliminary plan application. Toll Brothers wants to build 170 single-family detached homes and 158 townhomes on the 75-acre site now home to four WMAL radio towers.

Developers that exceed the intersection capacity standards could be required to pay for extra lanes or other improvements to get project approval.

The size of the Toll Brothers project is rare in Bethesda, where the vast majority of land is already developed and infill development of existing structures is more common.

The site, just north of the Capital Beltway and southeast of I-270, sits in the middle of single-family neighborhoods along Greentree, Greyswood and Fernwood roads. The new neighborhood would have three access points, via two points along Greentree Road and the extension of Greyswood Road.

At a public meeting in April, Toll Brothers and representatives from Wells + Associates heard skeptical residents who said they were concerned with how much traffic the neighborhood would generate. Many were also worried the traffic would add to already congested intersections along Fernwood Road.

For many in the existing neighborhoods, the two-lane Fernwood Road, which widens to four lanes at certain points, is the main way in and out via its connection with Democracy Boulevard, a major road with six lanes that connects to I-270.

The traffic study, which wasn’t ready when Toll Brothers held the April public meeting, took into account projected additional traffic from the planned neighborhood and 11 other “pipeline” projects including expansions at NIH, Westfield Montgomery mall and Suburban Hospital.

It also included residential projects under construction, such as the 34-home Bethesda Mews project and 143-townhome Grosvenor Heights project, and mixed-use development proposals that have long been stalled in the approval process such as Rock Spring Center and Ourisman Ford.

In the study, the intersection projected to be the most congested is at Fernwood Road and Democracy Boulevard with an evening peak-hour “critical lane volume” measurement of 1,446, lower than the county’s standard of 1,550. Critical lane volume is a measure of intersection capacity.

If the proposed development is approved, Toll Brothers would be required to make a standard traffic mitigation payment to the county before the company starts construction, expected to begin in summer 2017 and continue in phases until 2022.

Prices for townhomes would start at just less than $1 million and the single-family homes would start at $1 million, project officials have said. The total amount of homes could end up at just 306 if Montgomery County purchases a five-acre portion at the southwest corner of the site.

Toll Brothers plans to hold that portion for the county for three years after the project is approved. If the county doesn’t purchase the five acres—which could be used for a park, school or other public facility—Toll Brothers would then incorporate it into the neighborhood.

At the April meeting, Toll Brothers Vice President John Harris told residents the Pennsylvania-based developer would hold another public meeting focused specifically on the traffic study. The developer’s website for the project says the project team will announce a date for the meeting “in the coming weeks.”
Attachments:
1111.jpg
2222.jpg

Posted by: Wtfhere ()
Date: July 08, 2016 07:54PM

Why is it that every new housing development here looks like pure fucking hell? Why do we live nuts to ass to our neighbors and why do people keep moving here? When will the sucking end?

Posted by: Spurious Commentor ()
Date: July 08, 2016 08:21PM

I've had the misfortune to try and drive through the spur. It sucks balls any time of day. More development will only make it worse. Looking at the proposed development map you can see there is no capillary traffic flow through the new housing. I would spurn any employment offer there.

Posted by: D49c7 ()
Date: July 08, 2016 10:46PM

how am I going to listen to rush limbaugh if they tear down the wmal towers?

Posted by: Wired Incorrectly ()
Date: July 09, 2016 12:17AM

D49c7 Wrote:
> how am I going to listen to rush limbaugh if they
> tear down the wmal towers?

His show will be carried on Cox, Verizon and Xfinity as a modulated audio feed, but you will need to get an authorized decryption converter box from your cable provider. Only $9.95 per month for the new box so it is a real value.

Posted by: Gotta ask ()
Date: July 09, 2016 09:30PM

Spurious Commentor Wrote:
> I've had the misfortune to try and drive through
> the spur. It sucks balls any time of day.

Have you ever had your balls sucked? It's pretty awesome. Might want to use a different metaphor :)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.