HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
fx co retailers selling dangerous cheap chinese toaster ovens in town
Posted by: read this: it might save a life ()
Date: August 15, 2015 04:42PM

chinese + california importer ports & trains + greedy local retailer have been selling FIRE BOMBS for your home

a newish toaster oven failed THREE FUCKING WAYS all at once, leaving a TRUE FIRE HAZARD in my home. the oven was not on it's high setting, just toasing of all things: toast

1) the oven did not RING when done with 5 min toast.. infact the ringer is dead it no longer works at all even manually.

2) oven continued to have heating elements RED hot though 5 min was several minutes past due. dial had moved past done and was in "always on" region.

3) oven has an TOTALLY UNSAVE "always on" feature right on the other side of "done". after passing "done" the the dumb ass thing went into the "always on"
and kept going - but there's no "off" there in any way possible.

anyone that cooks at a home knows toaster ovens are a (#1 or #2) fire hazard in a kitchen having one

(fire dept. says never use use a toaster oven unless you stay attentive in the area - never walk away or rely on the timer. however you'd hope the timer wasn't cheap and fails in 3 ways while the thing is still spanking NEW)

there is NO WAY IN HELL there should ever be a toaster over with an "always on" feature - especially rigth where it is one notch further on the same dial as the safety off feature. UL listed? UL should be sued if they ever looked at the thing and put a stamp on it

The #(* thing is now a fire bomb in my home - three serious safety features all failed at one. assholes. also, i lost all my money invested and have to buy a new one. i'd say "had a bought quality it'd last a lifetime - my own fault". but local retailers only sell chinese #*(&(# - CA and NYC have everything to do with that evolution since the early 90's they conspired to insure it happened.
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fx co retailers selling dangerous cheap chinese toaster ovens in town
Posted by: So What Was It? ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:11PM

All that and you don't tell us the brand?

Posted by: it might save a life ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:18PM

you can't follow up on the name it's from china. CA/NYC (translators) keeps changing the labels to reduce liability

Posted by: ffx steve ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:25PM

A toaster is basically just a live wire attached to a piece of metal that gets red hot. That is why I always unplug it when not in use.

Posted by: Mj6tH ()
Date: August 15, 2015 06:25PM

ffx steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A toaster is basically just a live wire attached
> to a piece of metal that gets red hot. That is why
> I always unplug it when not in use.

Good advice. Also, consumer should report to Better Business Bureau. After shd calms down.

Posted by: SJG ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:32AM

Bought a new toaster a few years ago from a reputable store, made in China of course, and I could not believe the cord was coming out the FRONT of the toaster. And it was only 5 inches long. And it caught on fire the first time we tried to use it. The design for simple toasters was perfected decades ago, and yet they couldn't even be bothered to copy it right. I hate buying appliances now, the companies that import them just don't care about quality or even safety. And they all import, so now I buy old used US made appliances when I can find them. Or go without.

Posted by: chinaman ()
Date: August 16, 2015 08:49AM

We in China build what the customer orders. If a customer wants a toaster built for 99 cents, we find a way to do it. Sometimes we have to cut a few corners, but we never tell the American companies that we can't build to their price.

If you are unhappy with the product, it is your greedy corporations' fault, not ours.

We can build very high quality products if the customer wants to pay what it takes to do it. For example, our Iphones are generally considered to be quality products.

Posted by: To Serve Man ()
Date: August 16, 2015 10:35AM

Defective toaster ovens is only the beginning of the end.

Posted by: svnennestle logged out ()
Date: August 16, 2015 10:42AM

its a government conspiracy to have all us free inhabitants killed

sent by bulova and oboama

Posted by: VUw4w ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:38PM

To Serve Man Wrote:
> Defective toaster ovens is only the beginning of
> the end.

they were always dangerous still are

they've always been junk really - but used to be cheaper and better BEFORE they were "saving cost by using foreign labor' - even given away for opening a checkign account, made in usa yet not expensive

they were always dangerous, still are

and the oven? overkill. what can u do.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: August 16, 2015 08:29PM

At the risk of extending a pretty dull thread, if you want quality, buy Breville. They seem to be well-built.

Posted by: I Wish ()
Date: August 16, 2015 09:28PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> At the risk of extending a pretty dull thread, if
> you want quality, buy Breville. They seem to be
> well-built.

Well...that's what I thought. After extensive research - based almost solely on the criteria 'What isn't going to burn down my house?' - I chose Breville. Which I basically use as a $150 toaster. But one day I put on some bread to toast into croutons, went to the nearby bathroom for one minute - and came out to flames shooting out of the Breville up to the cabinets. Fortunately, I keep a couple of fire extinguishers in the kitchen and was able to put out the flames. Lesson learned - never leave any toaster oven unsupervised.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: August 17, 2015 08:00PM

I Wish Wrote:
> Well...that's what I thought. After extensive
> research - based almost solely on the criteria
> 'What isn't going to burn down my house?' - I
> chose Breville. Which I basically use as a $150
> toaster. But one day I put on some bread to toast
> into croutons, went to the nearby bathroom for one
> minute - and came out to flames shooting out of
> the Breville up to the cabinets. Fortunately, I
> keep a couple of fire extinguishers in the kitchen
> and was able to put out the flames. Lesson learned
> - never leave any toaster oven unsupervised.

So, *not* trying to pick a fight, nor to be a Breville fanboi (though we have their "Smart Grill" and really like it), but this doesn't seem to me like an indictment of the toaster oven. Not sure how you meant it; perhaps I'm misreading.

Posted by: Go Fuck Yourself, OP ()
Date: August 18, 2015 01:56PM

Call me crazy... but:

"Crazy" idea #1: OP (mistakenly?) adjusted his/her toaster oven to the "Always On" setting and didn't realize it.

"Crazy" idea #2: Random/freak power surge and/or short circuit.

"Crazy" idea #3: OP stole this photo from a 5-year old post on "The Mama Bird Diaries" where a woman's 5-year old son put a plastic-wrapped package of microwave popcorn in the toaster oven and left it there. Google Image Search is a bitch, huh? (http://www.mamabirddiaries.com/the-mamabird-diaries/children-should-not-use-toaster-ovens/)

P.S.: Hey OP, I knew you were full of shit when you said "you can't follow up on the name it's from china."

Date: August 25, 2015 10:57AM

> what kind of toaster over

Oster Toaster Over. But there are many - as i said they are all from china and NY,NY traitors just stick an Oster sticker on it. They don't even translate product books anymore, NY. All NY does is cut off liability for China and dress up sales to appear to be older Made in USA brands. I Hate New York.

Both bell and switch are integrated in a cheap box: Hang Zhou WestLake Timer Switch Factory.
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Date: August 25, 2015 10:58AM

as i said the toaster is only about 1-2 yr old

the inside (ie, where switch is) is spaceous and perfectly spanking clean: no grease or rust

Posted by: Liar ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:00AM

You're a liar. You've been called out above.

Date: August 25, 2015 11:08AM

Both bell and switch are integrated in a cheap box: Hang Zhou WestLake Timer Switch Factory.

I remember clearly when oven was new there is no bell if not plugged in: and never any "clunk" when ticker reaches "Off".

It passes current through when timer is not working. It's just another designed failure, breaks just outside warrantee period peice of crap from China that is part of why we DO NOT owe china and california / new york any thanks. Just more huge waste for landfill that ends up material that goverment workers steal from landfills.

Date: August 25, 2015 11:11AM

usa landfills, garages, are fully of broken chinese crap (worse in 90's, still bad, in 80's there were not made in china products in usa to speak of)

usa is fed up with their designed failure crap. it's clearly a breach of contract.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:12AM

Liar Wrote:
> You're a liar. You've been called out above.

yeah thats not going to stop a troll...

Posted by: Chairman Mao ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:56PM

Silry Amelican. You wanted cheap toasta oven. Riducurous.

Posted by: 64cdF ()
Date: August 28, 2015 08:58PM

> Both bell and switch are integrated in a cheap box: Hang Zhou WestLake Timer Switch Factory

NJ has deals with foreigners to sell recycled good for more imports.

they make deals for shit to break just outside of warrantee in part because it is goods in the landfill they'll profit from

Posted by: xxePc ()
Date: August 28, 2015 08:59PM

"hey this is good for everybody. make sure the switch doesn't work"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.