HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
If people drive like manics in my neighborhood, what can I do about it?(i.e. 50+mph in 25mph zones)
Posted by: SantaPants ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:18PM

If people drive like manics in my neighborhood, what can I do about it?

My neighborhood are entirely winding, narrow 2-lane roads. I have frequently
observed the following...

Speeding: 50mph+ in 25mph zone
passing on dangerous solid double yellow lines(and speeding, obviously)

There are also a bunch of car dealers nearby. They seem to favor this
neighborhood when taking customers on test-drives...(to show off what the
cars can do, no doubt?)

The streets are so narrow, that the cops don't even have a place to setup
one of those giant signs that show the speed of passing cars. In fact, there's
no place even for pedestrians to walk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If people drive like manics in my neighborhood, what can I do about it?(i.e. 50+mph in 25mph zones)
Posted by: Idea Guy ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:30PM

Nothing is going to change until someone gets hurt. So, I think what you're going to have to do is jump out in front of one of these clowns one time and get run down. Make sure you have all of your affairs in order including leaving contacts for local media outlets with your next of kin to publicize the circumstances of your injury/death. At that point, the police and possibly politicians will get involved to affect some change. Your neighbors will forever remember you and the children in your neighborhood will think of you as they go by the spray paint marks from the accident investigators. Good luck!

Re: If people drive like manics in my neighborhood, what can I do about it?(i.e. 50+mph in 25mph zones)
Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:40PM

Why don't you volunteer your front yard as a place to put one of those signs that show the speed of passing cars?

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:43PM

Where are these roads? I've been scoping for some new places to test my roadster...

Date: July 19, 2006 12:58PM

Joplin Rd. in PW County is a good place to test out cars...

Date: July 19, 2006 12:59PM

There's also very few cops on it. I regularly saw cops on it after that one day where someone overturned their truck on the 15MPH curve, but it was back to business as usual a few weeks later and the cops stopped driving on that road.

Real Answer For A Change!
Posted by: Real Help ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:25PM

I was on the traffic calming com. for Poplar Tree and was partially responsible for the traffic calming devices we have in our neighborhood.

1. To truly understand if you have an issue, go to a Fairfax County Police Station or call and ask if they would perform a traffic study for you. They will place stealth pads in your neighborhood for about 2 to 3 days and conduct a test.

2. The test will determine if you the county thinks you have an issue. They look for cut through (volume of traffic in an hour) and speed issues.

3. If the test comes out to your advantage call Sup Fry's office and ask them to work with you.

4. Remember, the state owns the roads and they will determine if you meet the criteria to have traffic calming devices.

5. They will do a study.

6. If they determine you have an issue, you need to get 75 percent of your defined homeowners to sign a state petition

7. If that is done, you select the calming devices and then you need to get 50 percent on another signed petition.

8. If a calming device is put in front of a house, the person must sign off on it.

9. At minimum and if all goes well, it will take 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Idea Guy ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:29PM

Real Help might be right, but my idea would take about 2 seconds, not 2 years. Think about it...

Posted by: Nail 'em ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:34PM

Call your police district station and tell them what you've been observing. They should then include that information in roll call and who ever is patrolling your area (if they're smart and available) will stake out the area to catch a few of them. That is assuming, at least, that it's only a few bad eggs and not every single car. If it's every single car, then Real Help has your best avenue of action.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 19, 2006 03:37PM

SantaPants Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If people drive like manics in my neighborhood,
> what can I do about it?

you can shut the fuck up and let people drive. unless there are close calls on a regular basis, what do you care? that's right, you're one of those uptight peices of shit that got the limit set so low in the first place. shut up and stay inside.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 19, 2006 04:37PM

Now, it would be really amusing if he were one of those uptight pieces of shit who protested a road project, so as a result, it wasn't built, so as a result, there's a ton of cut-through traffic using his street.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 19, 2006 05:52PM

brianl703 Wrote:
> Now, it would be really amusing if he were one of
> those uptight pieces of shit who protested a road
> project, so as a result, it wasn't built, so as a
> result, there's a ton of cut-through traffic using
> his street.

lol. he probably did.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Gravis loves pubes de hombres ()
Date: July 19, 2006 06:08PM

For once I'm agreeing with Gravis. I feel so dirty. Like I've had my head dunked upside down in an unflushed truckstop toilet, filling my sinuses with fecal matter.

Gravis Wrote:
> SantaPants Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If people drive like manics in my neighborhood,
> > what can I do about it?
>
> you can shut the fuck up and let people drive.
> unless there are close calls on a regular basis,
> what do you care? that's right, you're one of
> those uptight peices of shit that got the limit
> set so low in the first place. shut up and stay
> inside.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 19, 2006 06:35PM

good lord that last statement turned me on

be back after I jerk off twice.

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: July 20, 2006 09:35PM

Hi Santa! There are a couple of car dealers on Lee Hwy (between rts 50 and 123) in Fairfax City.....Fairfax Dodge and a Hyundai place (I think).

Anyway, the entrances to the adjoining residential neighborhood is posted:
NO TEST DRIVING. Maybe your neighborhood could get something like that.....although it's probably an unenforceable (and unconstitional) law!

But it might keep a few of the assholes out.....

Posted by: Try this out ()
Date: July 21, 2006 08:46AM

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:08AM

Talk to iburn8484 and him test out the neighborhood - See speeding ticket thread

Posted by: The Economist22 ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:50PM

Try this out Wrote:
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/trafficwatch.h
> tm

Hahahahaha this shit is a total joke , I got reported once and all they do is send you something in the mail that says the time and date of when you were doing it and where. they don't even keep a record of it. hahah what a waste of a stamp

Posted by: Kev ()
Date: July 31, 2006 10:26PM

Cut through traffic..ummm..yeah.

I pay for all roads, and I'm about tired of cul-de-sacs where a perfectly good through street would work.

We are all cut-through traffic, trying to find a way to where we are going. The people who want to stop traffic in their neighborhood would gladly cut through mine.

You want peace and privacy in the city, while the roads are gridlocked? Screw you. I would vote for any politician who opens access to side streets, and connects cul-de-sacs anywhere within 50 miles of DC.

No left turn between 4 and 6? WHY? I pay for that street too.

Date: July 31, 2006 11:07PM

Northern Virginia has a large number of goes nowhere, does nothing roads.

I'm pretty sick of housing developments that concentrate ALL of the traffic to and from that development at one intersection, which INVARIABLY needs to have a light installed further slowing down traffic on the main road. (Maybe for the $100,000 a traffic light costs, they could give driving lessons to all the residents of that neighborhood).

I think if someone wants to build a housing development, they must:

1)Have more than one access to a major road

or

2)Have vehicular access to an adjoining neighborhood

These neighborhoods with exactly one intersection providing access to the neighborhood are a textbook example of terrible planning.

Posted by: Joe Schmoe ()
Date: August 05, 2006 09:31PM

The best way to handle this problem is to call your local district station. If you dont know where to find the number call 703-691-2131 and they will help you. When you call your station ask to speak to the street supervisor about setting up radar in your neighborhood. I havent heard them say no to anyone. If you dont want them standing ifo your house you can also request they set up the flashing speed signs that remind people of the speed and show what their "actual" speed is. Furthermore if there is a certain reckless vehicle always coming through your neighborhood see if you can get the tag #, description and glance at the driver. You can then go down to the magistrate and swear out a warrant for this person's reckless driving.

Posted by: princess33 ()
Date: August 08, 2006 03:10PM

Joe Schmoe Wrote:
> The best way to handle this problem is to call
> your local district station. If you dont know
> where to find the number call 703-691-2131 and
> they will help you. When you call your station ask
> to speak to the street supervisor about setting up
> radar in your neighborhood. I havent heard them
> say no to anyone. If you dont want them standing
> ifo your house you can also request they set up
> the flashing speed signs that remind people of the
> speed and show what their "actual" speed is.
> Furthermore if there is a certain reckless vehicle
> always coming through your neighborhood see if you
> can get the tag #, description and glance at the
> driver. You can then go down to the magistrate and
> swear out a warrant for this person's reckless
> driving.

That is exactlly what we tell people to do when they call the 911 Center

Posted by: Brussells Bombing ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:14PM

Nothing really people suck at driving

Posted by: vw fairfax browns nissan ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:26PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8547338,-77.3282205,3a,16.5y,11.12h,84.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTV-urkZunKL-996J5bgAFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Right off Fairfax Blvd, the only place I have seen that sign, "No Test Driving" I doubt that is even legally enforceable

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.