HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How long does it usually take for transplants who relocate to NOVA to go from thinking this area is the promised land to hating this area and wanting to move the hell out of here?
Posted by: How long does it take? ()
Date: April 29, 2015 08:33PM

How long does it usually take?
3 months?
6 months?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long does it usually take for transplants who relocate to NOVA to go from thinking this area is the promised land to hating this area and wanting to move the hell out of here?
Posted by: 2BINCOLORADO ()
Date: April 29, 2015 08:52PM

Months??? My wife "made/wanted" us move back here to be "close to family". I hated this shithole before I even got back here.

Re: How long does it usually take for transplants who relocate to NOVA to go from thinking this area is the promised land to hating this area and wanting to move the hell out of here?
Posted by: 8. ()
Date: April 29, 2015 08:58PM

I knew a girl who moved here in April for a govt job and by November she already wanted to get the fuck out of the area.

Posted by: Narrator ()
Date: April 29, 2015 09:01PM

How long does it take? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long does it usually take?
> 3 months?
> 6 months?

About as long as it took to read your question.

Posted by: Stonedick Jackson ()
Date: April 29, 2015 09:59PM

Whats really sad are the people who think NoVa is a cool place to live.

Posted by: Military ()
Date: April 29, 2015 10:20PM

My cousin was transferred here in October and by January she wanted out of here.

Date: April 29, 2015 10:43PM

Stonedick Jackson Wrote:
> Whats really sad are the people who think NoVa is
> a cool place to live.

Correction:

Whats really sad are the people who think NoVa is
a bad place to live.

NoVA is the best place in the country. Stupid FFXU clones who think everything's terrible!

Posted by: eeyuck! ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:17PM

Well, right now I have an opportunity to move there. What's good/bad about it?

Posted by: townie ()
Date: April 29, 2015 11:38PM

eeyuck! Wrote:
> Well, right now I have an opportunity to move
> there. What's good/bad about it?

cons: way too many illegals, too much sprawl, the frustration of traffic will give you migraines, rent's too high, median SFH cost in Fairfax is $550k+ mm and rising, hearing English in public is rare

pros: make a lot of money, and umm, lots of cool day/weekend-trips out in PA, WV, DE, and rural VA?

Posted by: boring here ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:07AM

townie Wrote:
> eeyuck! Wrote:
> pros: make a lot of money, and umm, lots of cool
> day/weekend-trips out in PA, WV, DE, and rural VA?

nobody does that. usual weekend activity is to waddle around wegmans hotbar saturday sunday, monday morning get on road and realize there are too many people in nova.

Posted by: 5 months of shit weather ()
Date: April 30, 2015 12:23AM

November - March is shit.

If you like weeks and weeks and weeks of cold, cloudy, windy, rainy days with 5PM sunsets then NOVA is for you.

Posted by: Glass Half Full ()
Date: April 30, 2015 01:14AM

eeyuck! Wrote:

The good is that there are plenty of jobs and you have the opportunity to make lots and lots of money. If you make lots and lots of money, then you can avoid a lot of the bad. However, there is no getting around the horrific traffic (two hour round trip commutes are not at all unusual). There is a large immigrant population (mostly Hispanics and Asians). That can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. Winter weather is depressing as hell, but there is much worse weather up North. Your perspective on this area really depends on where you came from and where you want to go.

Posted by: fister ()
Date: April 30, 2015 09:09AM

eeyuck! Wrote:

If you're stupid enough to ask for advice on ffxu then you're stupid enough to live in nova. Enjoy your stay.

Posted by: whinecheese ()
Date: April 30, 2015 04:22PM

I grew worrisome in the uhaul then a month later i realized i fucked up. Im trying to get out and i advise you unhappy people to do the same.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: May 01, 2015 09:44AM

Don't forget the schools. Even among the traditionally looked down on schools like mount vernon, stuart, falls church, etc., a student that wants to succeed can do so ...

I'm in this area 'cause of family -- my choices would be Pittsburgh, Raleigh, or any other city with a good solid general enrollment public school or schools that are affordable to actual mortals (unlike NW DC, where you need a 800k to get even a TH with good public schools.)

I moved to Murland last year because I'm a dirty liberal, but I can see how NOVA (and the suburban DC parts of Murland) are good for families.

Posted by: loveitorleaveit ()
Date: May 01, 2015 12:50PM

I don't understand bothering to trash NOVA. If you hate it - LEAVE. It's really that simple. If I hated living here I wouldn't stay. I guess something is wrong with me because I like living here. Over 25 years. Never had a round trip commute longer than 50 minutes. Have had 6 employers in that time - never took a job with a long commute. Not that I think this is the promised land though.

Posted by: chang ()
Date: May 01, 2015 02:46PM

loveitorleaveit Wrote:
> I don't understand bothering to trash NOVA. If
> you hate it - LEAVE. It's really that simple. If
> I hated living here I wouldn't stay. I guess
> something is wrong with me because I like living
> here. Over 25 years. Never had a round trip
> commute longer than 50 minutes. Have had 6
> employers in that time - never took a job with a
> long commute. Not that I think this is the
> promised land though.

Many of us DID leave already. That doesnt preclude us from reminiscing over what a piss poor shithole it is.

Posted by: nova30+years ()
Date: May 01, 2015 02:58PM

Lived in Northern VA for 32 years. Worked in dozens of other cities such as Cleveland, Tampa, Columbus, Seattle, NYC, Charlotte, Albany, Raleigh, etc. I prefer NOVA over 95% of the other cities I had long term consulting assignments in. Charlotte wasn't too bad. Tampa, Cleveland, Columbus, Albany all crap.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: May 01, 2015 04:07PM

Stonedick Jackson Wrote:
> Whats really sad are the people who think NoVa is
> a cool place to live.

Asians.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: May 01, 2015 04:16PM

There's a lot to do and you can always get a job, but there's just too many people. Everywhere you turn is someone else and everyone's in a hurry.

Bad traffic coupled with bad drivers and then even bad, immigrant drivers. The Indians merge onto the highway and immediately go over to the left-passing lane, even if they're not passing anyone, the Mexicans, if they can see over the steering wheel, do the same and you're lucky if they even look first, and the white guys are either super-liberal douchebags in their hybrids that hog the passing lane going the speed limit, or they are aggro-middle aged in their giant SUVs or 4-door Jeep Wranglers trying to road rage with everyone.

Keep in mind there's also the big law enforcement agencies and all these fags get undercover vehicles they can commute in. They then play road rage with you and when they lose, they flash their badges like little pussies.

Posted by: loveitorleaveit ()
Date: May 01, 2015 04:41PM

Charlotte OK area but the CMS school system sucks. Think FCPS is bad, try CMS... I know - have relatives that taught and have kids in CMS.

Posted by: Stop being so uppity Fairfax ()
Date: May 01, 2015 05:02PM

n4cy6o.jpg2ujh6p2.jpg11j6txu.jpg1zlg2va.jpg

Billionaires AKA real rich people choose to live in places other than Fairfax County.

Posted by: Loch Ness Monster Denier ()
Date: May 01, 2015 05:14PM

The Pope, Bruce Springsteen, and the Loch Ness Monster don't live in Fairfax, either.

But, I'd share a beer with the Pope when he comes. I don't care for Bruce Springsteen, and I think I am a Loch Ness Monster Denier.

Posted by: mark j ()
Date: May 01, 2015 07:45PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> There's a lot to do and you can always get a job,
> but there's just too many people. Everywhere you
> turn is someone else and everyone's in a hurry.
>
> Bad traffic coupled with bad drivers and then even
> bad, immigrant drivers. The Indians merge onto
> the highway and immediately go over to the
> left-passing lane, even if they're not passing
> anyone, the Mexicans, if they can see over the
> steering wheel, do the same and you're lucky if
> they even look first, and the white guys are
> either super-liberal douchebags in their hybrids
> that hog the passing lane going the speed limit,
> or they are aggro-middle aged in their giant SUVs
> or 4-door Jeep Wranglers trying to road rage with
> everyone.
>
> Keep in mind there's also the big law enforcement
> agencies and all these fags get undercover
> vehicles they can commute in. They then play road
> rage with you and when they lose, they flash their
> badges like little pussies.

you forgot...Hispanics put their left turn signal on..then go right...
OR turn on right turn signal ..then go left...
they are truly confused people

Posted by: Mars and tech ()
Date: May 01, 2015 08:07PM

Stop being so uppity Fairfax Wrote:
> n4cy6o.jpg
> 2ujh6p2.jpg
> 11j6txu.jpg
> 1zlg2va.jpg
>
> Billionaires AKA real rich people choose to live
> in places other than Fairfax County.

Fairfax does have some billionaires

Posted by: Not in the top 20 ()
Date: May 01, 2015 10:59PM

Mars and tech Wrote:
> Stop being so uppity Fairfax Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > n4cy6o.jpg
> > 2ujh6p2.jpg
> > 11j6txu.jpg
> > 1zlg2va.jpg
> >
> > Billionaires AKA real rich people choose to
> live
> > in places other than Fairfax County.
>
>
> Fairfax does have some billionaires

Not in the top 20.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: May 02, 2015 12:55AM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> There's a lot to do and you can always get a job,
> but there's just too many people. Everywhere you
> turn is someone else and everyone's in a hurry.
>
> Bad traffic coupled with bad drivers and then even
> bad, immigrant drivers. The Indians merge onto
> the highway and immediately go over to the
> left-passing lane, even if they're not passing
> anyone, the Mexicans, if they can see over the
> steering wheel, do the same and you're lucky if
> they even look first, and the white guys are
> either super-liberal douchebags in their hybrids
> that hog the passing lane going the speed limit,
> or they are aggro-middle aged in their giant SUVs
> or 4-door Jeep Wranglers trying to road rage with
> everyone.
>
> Keep in mind there's also the big law enforcement
> agencies and all these fags get undercover
> vehicles they can commute in. They then play road
> rage with you and when they lose, they flash their
> badges like little pussies.

Congrats! Your longest post ever. Much as I dislike you, you did sum up our biggest problem: TRAFFIC (and drivers). Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse. And it dominates every decision people make around here.

Posted by: Frank zappa ()
Date: May 02, 2015 11:25PM

This is a good place to live for families and people who only care about money who are in STEM fields. For anyone else, this place sucks. Rent, groceries etc. are too expensive. Most people are impatient, self-entitled, stressed out assholes. There is no good art or music scene here. I'm a musician for a living. The only reason I live here is because my wife works for the D.O.E. so she's the breadwinner. If i was single, I'd be in Richmond or some place that doesn't so closely resemble hell. On the other hand, Fairfax is pretty good if you're an outdoors person, no shortage of nice parks and trails. It's the safest place I've lived in terms of crime also. Everyone on here bitching about mexicans and asians...well, it's true, there are a lot of them...but they don't hurt anyone. They mow your lawn and make you kimchi, so quit bitching.

Posted by: Jim Handy ()
Date: May 03, 2015 12:25AM

You can tell Fairfax sucks based purely on the fact that the topic alone is so often mentioned and debated. A lot of unhappy people live in Fairfax. Its obvious. Its nothing more than a transition town that most people get stuck in temporarily until they find a way to get out.

Posted by: Petey Greene ()
Date: May 03, 2015 07:51AM

The best day of my life was the day I was assured that the check for selling my overpriced shitbox of a Fairfax Station home (2006 - still the highest selling price in my hood) was deposited in my bank account, and I hit I-95 South headed towards my new retirement destination.

Posted by: NoVa VaNo ()
Date: May 03, 2015 10:11AM

Petey Greene Wrote:
> The best day of my life was the day I was assured
> that the check for selling my overpriced shitbox
> of a Fairfax Station home (2006 - still the
> highest selling price in my hood) was deposited in
> my bank account, and I hit I-95 South headed
> towards my new retirement destination.

And yet here you are, on a website about Fairfax, writing from the backwoods hellhole you ended up in - obviously regretting the "best day" of your pathetic life. We're all glad you're gone. Please stay gone!

Posted by: Petey Greene ()
Date: May 03, 2015 10:29AM

NoVa VaNo Wrote:
> Petey Greene Wrote:
> -----
> > The best day of my life was the day I was
> assured
> > that the check for selling my overpriced
> shitbox
> > of a Fairfax Station home (2006 - still the
> > highest selling price in my hood) was deposited
> in
> > my bank account, and I hit I-95 South headed
> > towards my new retirement destination.
>
>
> And yet here you are, on a website about Fairfax,
> writing from the backwoods hellhole you ended up
> in - obviously regretting the "best day" of your
> pathetic life. We're all glad you're gone.
> Please stay gone!

Fuck off.

Visiting here from time to time is exhilarating! It reminds me of how lucky I was to be able to escape the Asylum.

Posted by: justanidea ()
Date: May 03, 2015 12:08PM

Would everybody who hates it here leave?

That would go a long ways to make it better for everybody, especially those that stay. Less traffic and less grumpy people.

I like it and have been here about a dozen years. I left southern California (another so-called paradise) for many reasons. It is expensive to live there too, I don't make nearly as much as I do here, and you don't get much for all the taxes they take from you.

The worst is paying for private school because the public schools are dumbed down by immigrants who neither speak english nor contribute by paying taxes. Top that off with some of them being here illegally.

Posted by: Just a Dumb Fuck ()
Date: May 03, 2015 12:25PM

justanidea Wrote:
> Would everybody who hates it here leave?
>
> That would go a long ways to make it better for
> everybody, especially those that stay. Less
> traffic and less grumpy people.
>
> I like it and have been here about a dozen years.
> I left southern California (another so-called
> paradise) for many reasons. It is expensive to
> live there too, I don't make nearly as much as I
> do here, and you don't get much for all the taxes
> they take from you.
>
> The worst is paying for private school because the
> public schools are dumbed down by immigrants who
> neither speak english nor contribute by paying
> taxes. Top that off with some of them being here
> illegally.

My guess is that the majority of people who live in this area want to leave, but can't. The salaries are too good and outweigh the negatives we all have to accept to live in this area.
I've lived here since the 1960s and I can't wait for the day that I can retire and leave this shithole -- about another year. I'm counting the days.

Posted by: King Obama ()
Date: May 03, 2015 01:10PM

Petey Greene Wrote:
> NoVa VaNo Wrote:
> -----
> > Petey Greene Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The best day of my life was the day I was
> > assured
> > > that the check for selling my overpriced
> > shitbox
> > > of a Fairfax Station home (2006 - still the
> > > highest selling price in my hood) was
> deposited
> > in
> > > my bank account, and I hit I-95 South headed
> > > towards my new retirement destination.
> >
> >
> > And yet here you are, on a website about
> Fairfax,
> > writing from the backwoods hellhole you ended
> up
> > in - obviously regretting the "best day" of
> your
> > pathetic life. We're all glad you're gone.
> > Please stay gone!
>
> Fuck off.
>
> Visiting here from time to time is exhilarating!
> It reminds me of how lucky I was to be able to
> escape the Asylum.

Haha! Keep telling yourself that, LOSER! You are nothing now - just a dried-up, nasty little turd waiting to die.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.