HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
looking to become a cop?
Posted by: The Economist22 ()
Date: July 04, 2006 04:46PM

Fairfax County Police Applicant Testing

Are you between 18 and 21 years old? Then listen up if you’re looking for a law enforcement career. The Fairfax County Police Department is searching for qualified applicants who would like to be part of the largest local law enforcement agency in Northern Virginia. An entrance examination and interview will be offered on Saturday, June 24 at 8 a.m. at the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy. Starting July 1, 2006, Fairfax County Police starting salary will be $44,443. Applicants may receive enhanced pay based on experience, education, military service, etc. Police applicants must be 21 years of age at date of appointment and possess either a high school diploma or G.E.D.

Applicants for the Cadet Program are also being sought. Cadets must be 18 to 20 years of age at date of appointment. The starting salary for cadets is $26,584.

Immediately following the exam detectives will conduct a brief interview with all applicants. All applicants must be dressed in business attire or uniform of the day and carry photo identification. There is no charge for the test.

Test Location: Saturday, June 24 at 8 a.m.

Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy

14601 Lee Road

Chantilly, VA 20151

Near the intersection of Rt. 28 / Willard Road

For additional information you may contact:

Detective Annie Mack-Evans

Personnel Resources Division

703-246-2448 Office

703-246-7563 Recruiting

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking to become a cop?
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 04, 2006 06:52PM

They will ask you where you heard about the job posting... say you got it from the County Web site.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: July 04, 2006 07:43PM

The really sharp candidates will realize the test was a week ago.....

Date: July 04, 2006 07:57PM

actually it was posted to clarify that a college degree is not infact 'required'.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 04, 2006 08:43PM

Agreed, the last thing we need are educated police. Then they might not have deniability when they commit a civil rights violation.

"oops, I didn't know that was a rights violation, I never went to college, see."

Posted by: Paul ()
Date: July 04, 2006 09:34PM

Are there any physical requirements for the jobs, like a max weight or mile time?

Date: July 05, 2006 08:59AM

Nope... as long as you can step in front of a moving vehicle and draw your weapon that's all that's really required, at least in Alexandria. Not sure about FCPD.

Date: July 05, 2006 10:32AM

Well, the targets the FCPD uses at their shooting range, instead of having a bullseye or a dude with a gun in his hand facing you, instead has a guy with his back turned to you and hands raised, and you get points based on those hits.

Date: July 05, 2006 11:44AM

The extra points in those cases only count in cases where a sign above the target says "known to have no existing criminal record" and appears to have a bookie log in his back pocket.

edit to add: why do people stir up the natives with posts like the OP's? lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2006 11:45AM by pgens.

Posted by: same oldy ()
Date: July 05, 2006 02:41PM

i'd like to become a coward someday

Date: July 05, 2006 03:59PM

I frequent this forum often.

But you are forgetting the test on how to speed through cars without the lights on, and when you crash, how to avoid wreckless driving/manslaughter charges.

Date: July 05, 2006 04:02PM

lol @ the economist

I hope they incorporated a "parking lot sniper" obstacle course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2006 04:49PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Lawman ()
Date: July 05, 2006 04:48PM

$26,000 a year... Wow! Sign me up! Poverty level is $22,000.

Posted by: the great white shark man ()
Date: July 05, 2006 05:00PM

$26,000 a year... Wow, so that explains why the cops around here are about as intelligent tollbooth attendants.

Date: July 05, 2006 05:15PM

Starting July 1, 2006, Fairfax County Police starting salary will be $44,443

learning how to read the whole statement is fun. 26,000/y is the cadet salary, and cadets are young guys probably with no wife or kids. 26,000 is more than a livable amount if you are fending for just yourself, and you get a leg up on becoming a cop, or you get paid to find out you DON'T want to become a cop.

Date: July 06, 2006 09:03AM

Assuming the $26,000\y is tax free, Very livable, if the Cadet doesn't pay rent in FFX, doesn't have a car or car payments, no health insurance and certainly no kids or wife.

Date: July 06, 2006 09:39AM

Agreed... assuming takehome on that is around $1900/month, with one-bedroom apartments starting at $1200+ a month there would be barely enough left after food to travel to work and back either via car or mass transit.

However if one lived at home with parents or maybe had a couple of roommates until he/she was done being a cadet, the $26,000 wouldn't be a bad amount to start saving up money.

Date: July 06, 2006 11:15AM

Yes, if one demands they must have a one-bedroom apt then they will be screwed, pgens.

But most young men and women around here live with these other people called "roommates", in order to reduce their general expenses by pooling them. As for insurance and all that, completely subjective so don't bother preassigning an amount.

My main thing is that I lived quite well on 26,000 when I moved out of my folks' house, but I lived in a large rented house with a few other people and with split expanses, living was a lot cheaper per-person.

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 06, 2006 11:27AM

44,443 - is a very low salary too, in the DC area.
Cause 44K after taxes equals to about 35K

Date: July 06, 2006 12:18PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, if one demands they must have a one-bedroom
> apt then they will be screwed, pgens.
>
> But most young men and women around here live with
> these other people called "roommates", in order to
> reduce their general expenses by pooling them.

Oh... those must be the ones mentioned in sentence #2 of my post, thanks for clarifying.

Date: July 06, 2006 12:39PM

Like I read past the first paragraph anymore

I need it short and in small words, pgens, or the ADD takes over

Date: July 06, 2006 03:43PM

LOLOLOL I wouldn't expect any less :)

Date: July 06, 2006 04:57PM

True you can always live someplace with roommates or maybe share a bedroom cheap. As for travel to and from work, try this website http://www.usedmopeds.com/ If you don't have enough money at the end of the month for gas you can pedal to work.

Were not knocking those that want be Police Officers... That's great, we need the best. We are knocking the pay FFX County is giving and the low (GED) requirements.

Date: July 06, 2006 05:36PM

What I'd like to know is how many cadets end up on the force. From how competitive I have heard FCPD is to get into, incluidng experienced officers from other jurisdictions, it's kind of surprising that the entrance requirements for the academy are that low.

Is the academy part time? In other words if one already had a full time job could they just go afternoons or evenings to the academy or is it kind of like full-day school?

Posted by: Rockford ()
Date: July 06, 2006 06:36PM

They divide all potential candidates into one of three classifications:

1. Highly Qualified

2. Qualified

3. Not Qualified

You will not be grouped as highly qualified without a college degree, previous experience and/or military experience. If you are listed as "qualified" or "not qualified" you can forget it. You won't get hired, I can assure you.

So, technically, yes, a college degree is not required but the chances of getting hired without one, or previous and/or military experience are vastly remote.

The cadet program is for young adults, ages 18 - 20 who have a desire to become police officers. It often can serve as a "back door" to an appointment to the academy without a degree. The cadet program is extemely limited, however, and not all cadets go on to academy appointments. There are only about 10 or 20 cadets in the entire program.

The cadet program allows some exposure to the field but the cadets have no real authority. In fact, they are basically "go-fers" but they can and do pick up valuable experience while in the program. They are subject to bascially the same hiring standards as a police officer except for at the end of their term when they turn 21 they are given another polygraph examination to make sure they were on their best behavior during their tenure as a cadet. If they fail the polygraph the will not advance to an academy appointment.

I think there may be some confusion over the term "cadet." Someone appointed to the academy has the title "recruit" and not "cadet." It's two entirely different things.

Hope this insight has helped.

P.S. The academy is indeed "full time." As of right now it takes approximately 6 - 7 months to complete the academy. After graduation you are placed on probation for a year and assigned to a veteran police officer for the first 3 - 4 months of your career. Some don't make it past their training period with the veteran. If they do, then, and only then, will they be allowed to patrol on their own. It's a bit of a journey, they don't just give you a badge and a gun and tell you to hit the road!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 06, 2006 09:04PM

Rockford, I think most people including me belive that most cops are not qualified, as we saw in previous posts. I think that FCPD considers you qualified if you completed the 9th grade. Not qualifieds are also hired b/c they are cheapest.

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Like I read past the first paragraph anymore
>
> I need it short and in small words, pgens, or the
> ADD takes over

Thats a pretty bad comeback.

Date: July 06, 2006 09:15PM

wasn't a comeback

it was friendly patter between me and pgens, who I don't argue with anyway.

so... that was a pretty weak putdown.

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: July 07, 2006 02:25AM

I think they get the best people they can for what they (we) pay.

I honestly can't understand why many of you have so much contact with the cops! I've lived in FFX non-stop since 1960 and have talked to a county cop exactly THREE times. Two of those times the bastards gave me a ticket for a traffic offense I had just committed. The third and most recent time...some nut started banging on my front door at 3:00 am and scared the shit out of my wife and I. Called 911 and they were here in no time....3 of them....and then 2 more appeared from the back yard with shotguns drawn. Turned out it was a drunk from a few doors down that got his houses mixed up. Anyway, I was VERY impressed with the FFX Co cops that night.

That said, I do think cops are mostly assholes....and if you give them shit, or drive like an idiot, you'll have trouble with them.

Date: July 07, 2006 07:24AM

Rockford, thanks for the info.

ComeOnFolks, most of us are probably in the same boat you are... a couple of traffic violations and maybe they helped us out once or twice. I think most of the negativity is aimed at the high-profile events that start with an officer making a msitake (dumb or otherwise), followed by displays of either corruption or incompetence in the justice system that lets police officers off the hook in the end for acts that would land the rest of us in a medium security prison.

What would happen to Joe Public if he hopped in front of a moving vehicle and shot at it, claiming self defense because he placed himself in the path of a moving vehicle and it didn't stop? Or if he sat in a parking lot in front of someone's house day after day, aiming a rifle at a person as she walked out of the house, with his finger on the trigger until one day something like a dog bark startles him into pulling the trigger and he killed her? He didn't intend to kill her after all... accidental, right? It's not criminal negligence because there was no intent to kill and the result could not have been forseen, right? These things don't even result in something as absolutely minimal as moving the employee to non-public-facing capacities within the police department. People can be expected to get angry when the people who are supposed to protect them _literally_ get away with murder.

But like I have said in many prior threads, those are (fortunately) very isolated cases that unfairly tarnish the image of people who work very hard every day to catch the bad guys. I just wish that our NoVA police departments and district attorneys could agree on correcting all appearances of favoritism by passing these high-profile questionable instances of the death of a citizen by a police firearm to a grand jury and let THEM decide if a crime was committed.

I don't want to see our police departments become hated or feared by law-abiding citizens because we're worried that they have poor training or unqualified people making poor decisions that get people killed. And it isn't just the street guys... who the hell decided to send a SWAT team out to get a guy with no criminal record who was suspected of gambling? Just send a regular squad car out, knock on the door and bring him in for Christ's sake. Was that some sort of training excersize? Some bullshit show of force to "fight terrorism" or something? I want to feel confident in the abilities of the police to train their people and protect the public. The Alexandria police and Fairfax police do a great job of this every day but the giant cock-ups have to be dealt with in a manner the public can accept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2006 07:30AM by pgens.

Posted by: Come on folks ()
Date: July 07, 2006 09:33AM

I totally agree about the Culosi shooting. Use of the SWAT team was definitely excessive in that case. I'm less upset about the IHOP case...all those punks had to do is stop. Do you remember the Prince Jones case.....where a PG Co cop followed a dude into FFax Co and ended up blowing the guy away? That cop walked too.

The problem is Robert Horan....he has never prosecuted a cop in all the decades he's been Commonwealth Attorney. That's who we should be mad at....the cops don't decide if charges are filed in a police shooting....the CA does!

Date: July 07, 2006 09:44AM

Come on folks Wrote:
> The problem is Robert Horan....he has never
> prosecuted a cop in all the decades he's been
> Commonwealth Attorney. That's who we should be
> mad at....the cops don't decide if charges are
> filed in a police shooting....the CA does!

Lets go Kennedy on the CA.

pgens Wrote:
> [a lot of stuff]

You said it.

Come on folks Wrote:
> I totally agree about the Culosi shooting. Use of
> the SWAT team was definitely excessive in that
> case. I'm less upset about the IHOP case...all
> those punks had to do is stop. Do you remember
> the Prince Jones case.....where a PG Co cop
> followed a dude into FFax Co and ended up blowing
> the guy away? That cop walked too.

Did you see on some other thread the visual diagram I made? Yes the kids could have stopped, but the 'cop' kept shooting after they had past him, killing a kids. I find that inexcusisble (sp) and yes, it is possible to stop shooting a moving target that is passing you. Try skeet shooting. (its fun)

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: July 07, 2006 09:55AM

I don't know man, they say that the adrenaline takes over in situations like that....plus it's all over in seconds. I'll admit limited knowledge of that case.....was that off-duty Alex cop in uniform?

Date: July 07, 2006 10:33AM

Ya he was.

I just saw on Channel 4 news that they released the diaries of the Columbine kids. And "new information" is of course revealed that they didn't know.

I just read a book, endgame, (neighbor's kid reccomended it to me-it is a teenage book) some kid did the same thing b/c he got bullied and got beat up a lot and a whole lot of other shit that's crazy except he lived and he got life in jail.

Ya have to wonder what goes on in the kids minds, I mean its like the only way out. They can take drugs or skip or whatever but the people are still there, and of course all the adults are like talk to your counsuler but who wants to snitch, you get beat up a lot more.

They said they wouldn't reveal the columbine kids's video tapes they made b/c it might encourage copycat attacks.

Or is it b/c it explains too much?

Posted by: tricki ()
Date: July 07, 2006 10:42AM

I want to read that book. I heard it was good. Another good book about getting into teenagers psyche is called A Tribe Apart. A professional writer went to reston Town Center and became close to a bunch of kids as research for her book. She is a local. So many of today's kids have the most depressing baggage and problems. When I taught middle school and saw the emergency care forms, I was astounded at how many middle class kids were on heavy duty psych drugs at age 12 and 13. Much of what they are doing and what they are involved with is a secret. When it comes to the surface, everyone is so surprised. Those kids are involved in such a whole different culture than kids from last generation and it is very scary.

Date: July 07, 2006 11:03AM

come on folks Wrote:
> I don't know man, they say that the adrenaline
> takes over in situations like that....plus it's
> all over in seconds. I'll admit limited knowledge
> of that case.....was that off-duty Alex cop in
> uniform?

That was the report's argument and it's probably still available online somewhere. I read the whole thing and I'm glad they released it... they usually don't do that. And the DA is probably saying "damnit I released the report in a show of transparency and they STILL aren't happy" and I see his point, however by my read there were still judgement calls of the rightness or wrongness of the officer's actions made by him when they should have been made by a grand jury.

Date: July 10, 2006 05:05PM

I don't teach but I work for FCPS...Can I get a look at these forms?

Posted by: The Economist222 ()
Date: July 10, 2006 06:43PM

The CA does prosecute people who he thinks are guilty of crimes, but WHO PROVIDES THE EVIDENCE? The police, and once it's in their hands, there's not much we can do about it.

Date: July 10, 2006 09:42PM

The Economist222 Wrote:
> The CA does prosecute people who he thinks are
> guilty of crimes, but WHO PROVIDES THE EVIDENCE?
> The police, and once it's in their hands, there's
> not much we can do about it.

Exactly. But a grand jury may have been able to read the report and determine that it is possible that a crime was commited and that the officer committed it. That's all they would have needed and it would have gone to trial.

But when it's all handled within the same group of like-minded buddies...

Date: July 11, 2006 09:28AM

Regardless of what you have heard in the media about the gambling case, let's be clear that the guy was not holding a Friday night poker game once a month. Or, taking hundred dollar bets from friends on sporting events. He was dealing more in $10,000 plus, cars and house mortgages.

FFX has "informants\uncovers"(as all PD's do) and they make the call as to what type of force should be used based on their experiences in the residence and previous dealing with the individual.

FYI - If somebody has no past criminal record that doesn't mean they will never commit a crime.

Date: July 11, 2006 10:03AM

Lawman Wrote:
> FYI - If somebody has no past criminal record that
> doesn't mean they will never commit a crime.

Right... I posted about a year ago that eventually we'll see SWAT teams deployed for overdue library book fees. I understand your point but still do not see why a SWAT team needed to be deployed to collect a guy who had no history of violence.

Posted by: aggie ()
Date: July 12, 2006 12:17AM

Yeah, or the fact the "innocent man" had drug residue all over the money and shit, he had.

please.

It sucks he died

but m ummm he was about as innocent as Kennedy was in May.

Posted by: madmaxJD at work ()
Date: July 12, 2006 10:42AM

All paper money has drug residue on it.

Date: July 12, 2006 11:43AM

aggie Wrote:
> Yeah, or the fact the "innocent man" had drug
> residue all over the money and shit, he had.
>
> please.
>
> It sucks he died
>
> but m ummm he was about as innocent as Kennedy was
> in May.

Kennedy was taken in by police and was able to go through a legal process to a conclusion. And I thought in this country innocence and guilt were determined by juries, not by reflecting back on what the victim in this case may or may not have done. Again, even if he was into drugs in addition to gambling, that doesn't meen a poorly trained or inexperienced SWAT team should be deployed to round him up.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 12, 2006 12:02PM

Lawman Wrote:
> FYI - If somebody has no past criminal record that
> doesn't mean they will never commit a crime.

i guess you should start shooting everyone on sight. they could become serial killers.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Thin Blue Line ()
Date: July 18, 2006 03:33PM

FCPD requirements for employment are posted on their website.

This Saturday, July 22nd, there will be a major in-processing where applicants will take the written test, take an entrance interview, and go through a physical agility test (obstacle course). The timing is a bit late, but if you go down to the Massey Building (Police HQ - the tall building next to the court) and ask to submit an application for employment, they might be able to squeeze you in. If not this Saturday, there will probably be another opportunity soon.

If you're really interested in doing this, now is probably the best time to do it. Usually recruit academy sessions have about 40 people in them, the next one will be about 100. That's just the start, though, because FCPD is looking to employ about 200 new officers within the year.

Oh, and the $26,000 salary for cadets is for 18 year olds who are interested in becoming an officer when they turn 21. During their tenure of employment, they work support services and are considered to be police officers in training.

Starting officer salary (which you will be paid while going through the academy) is $44,443, and can vary depending on education and previous experience.

Date: July 18, 2006 03:38PM

Someone actually thinks that this forum has "police material"

:)

Date: July 18, 2006 03:47PM

Dude Wrote:
> Someone actually thinks that this forum has
> "police material"
>
> :)

You would actually be surprised... Sometimes people who look like they won't make it get hired, and sometimes people who look like a shoe-in will be rejected. It's an extensive process and the odds are stacked against you even if you seem like the perfect candidate (statistically, anyway).

The trick with FCPD is honesty. Don't lie. Ever. If on the polygraph they ask you if you've done drugs, committed crimes, etc. just be honest, because that's what they're looking for.

If you like the idea of getting paid for a job that's never the same every day, helping people out, and busting people's skulls to protect others, you may actually like it. Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is they say no thanks...

Date: July 18, 2006 03:51PM

Do I get a brand new crown vic when I graduate?

Date: July 18, 2006 04:42PM

Dude Wrote:
> Do I get a brand new crown vic when I graduate?

Not to own (duh) but each shift you'll be assigned to a cruiser and patrol zone. Also, can't guarantee "brand new", but as often as they're serviced the parts under the hood may indeed be new.

Date: July 18, 2006 05:03PM

hey aren't polygraphs for the sake of employment illegal in the state of virginia?

Date: July 18, 2006 05:44PM

The Economist22 Wrote:
> hey aren't polygraphs for the sake of employment
> illegal in the state of virginia?

Here's the Virginia Code regarding polygraphs and employment:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+40.1-51.4C4

More specifically, § 40.1-51.4:4. Prohibition of use of polygraphs in certain employment situations.

"B. Notwithstanding the provisions of § 40.1-2.1, it shall be unlawful for any law-enforcement agency as defined in § 9.1-500 or regional jail to require any employee to submit to a lie detector test, or to discharge, demote or otherwise discriminate against any employee for refusal or failure to take a lie detector test, except that the chief executive officer of a law-enforcement agency or the superintendent of a regional jail may, by written directive, require an employee to submit to a lie detector test related to a particular internal administrative investigation concerning allegations of misconduct or criminal activity. No employee required to submit to a lie detector test shall be discharged, demoted or otherwise discriminated against solely on the basis of the results of the lie detector test."

No *employee*. While you're in the employment process, you're not yet an employee.

It does also say that no employee can be "discriminated against solely on the basis of the result of the lie detector test", so my assumption (as I don't know exactly what goes on with it) is that they take your statements in the polygraph interview and compare it to facts they've uncovered during the background investigation. If they can prove without a reasonable doubt that you lied, you're gone.

So my understanding of the law above is that a polygraph for employment purposes is legal (although it's possible I'm missing another section on this subject), but is ILLEGAL to use as justification for termination, demotion or discrimination by an employer.

Oh, and nothing said in a polygraph interview can be submitted as evidence in a court of law.

"D. The analysis of any polygraph test charts produced during any polygraph examination administered to a party or witness shall not be submitted, referenced, referred to, offered or presented in any manner in any proceeding conducted pursuant to Chapter 10 (§ 2.2-1000 et seq.) of Title 2.2 or conducted by any county, city or town except as to disciplinary or other actions taken against a polygrapher."

Date: July 18, 2006 05:48PM

Actually, the worst that can happen is you get hired and a psycopath from centreville shoots you to death on the way out to your squad car....

So there.

Date: July 18, 2006 06:12PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Actually, the worst that can happen is you get
> hired and a psycopath from centreville shoots you
> to death on the way out to your squad car....
>
> So there.

It's a risk of the job, but man if you knew the autopsy report on Kennedy... Holy hell. Two words -- Swiss Cheese.

Date: July 18, 2006 06:18PM

I've only ever seen autopsy photos of kennedy:

auto3.jpg

oh, you meant ANOTHER guy named Kennedy.

Date: July 18, 2006 06:47PM

Thin Blue Line Wrote:
> Also, can't
> guarantee "brand new", but as often as they're
> serviced the parts under the hood may indeed be
> new.

yeah, every cop car ive seen has ALWAYS been sparkling clean and i know it's not the cops doing that. are they washed daily or something?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: vip555 ()
Date: July 18, 2006 08:44PM

They get the cruisers washed at embassy autowash, at least for th WS district.

Date: July 18, 2006 08:49PM

vip555 Wrote:
> They get the cruisers washed at embassy autowash,
> at least for th WS district.

it's probably for the best, lest we see circular white streaking on the cars from being washed using water and shampoo.

Posted by: dwood ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:41PM

I took the FCPD test about 6 months ago.

I passed the test, only getting a few questions wrong. Had my interview with the detectives and was told everything looks great.

A few weeks later I get a notice saying, "At this time we cannot offer you employment with FCPD, please wait a year to re-apply."

I was the only non-military person applying during that hiring period, however I am almost completed my ADJ degree at GMU and for the physical aspect I am a 3rd Degree Black Belt.

Does FCPD only hire ex-military? Do I not offer enough qualifications to make $26k a year? Seriously...

Back to substitute teaching at the local intermediate school for me...

Date: July 19, 2006 01:42PM

Why would someone with a college degree join police force anyways?
In the DC area someone who has university degree has a much better potential of making more than $30K ;-)

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: July 19, 2006 03:08PM

I think police officers get a discount on their dry cleaning too. I always see them at the place where I take my stuff. Not that discounts on dry cleaning is a big deal, but it helps. Personally I would not want to be a substitute teacher at a middle school. They stopped calling them intermediate schools about 10 years ago. I used to teach at one and they were always very bad for the subs unless the sub was a cute flight attendant or a redskinette or something.

Trickie

Date: July 19, 2006 03:10PM

Two shirts for a dollar. Woo hoo.

Fucking rent in this area is $1000+ for one tiny bedroom.
Good luck!

Date: July 19, 2006 07:22PM

I agree on the degree thing. My sister got her Bachelor's in Criminal Justice at Mason, but has been working steadily in IT for seven or more years. For a lot of places, a degree is about showing you can set a goal and reach it. If you have an interest in the job's subject matter and are knowledgeable about it, then you could probably latch on somewhere doing just about anything you want.

Plus you could apply at one of the other ten million police departments around here if you just must be a popo.

Plus, the 26k/yr is for CADETS. Real police start at 40k+.

Posted by: vip555 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 09:00PM

Yeah, FCPD starts you off at 42k as of July '05

I think I'm going to apply for the Crossing Guard position.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/employment.htm

Date: July 20, 2006 07:50AM

vip555 Wrote:
> Yeah, FCPD starts you off at 42k as of July '05
>
> I think I'm going to apply for the Crossing Guard
> position.
>
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/employment.htm

The 42K figure was for Fiscal Year 2006. Fiscal Year 2007, which started July 1st, puts starting pay at $44,443. That's the bare minimum, though. That figure can increase based on things like prior experience (law enforcement and military) or education (*level*, not *subject*)

Posted by: An old friend ;-) ()
Date: July 20, 2006 07:51AM

dwood Wrote:
> I took the FCPD test about 6 months ago.
>
> I passed the test, only getting a few questions
> wrong. Had my interview with the detectives and
> was told everything looks great.
>
> A few weeks later I get a notice saying, "At this
> time we cannot offer you employment with FCPD,
> please wait a year to re-apply."
>
> I was the only non-military person applying during
> that hiring period, however I am almost completed
> my ADJ degree at GMU and for the physical aspect I
> am a 3rd Degree Black Belt.
>
> Does FCPD only hire ex-military? Do I not offer
> enough qualifications to make $26k a year?
> Seriously...
>
> Back to substitute teaching at the local
> intermediate school for me...

Dan, if you're really interested, they're looking to hire 200+ new officers within the next calendar year. This is probably the best time to apply...

Date: July 20, 2006 09:10AM

They do offer pension plan I believe?
That might be worth it.

Date: July 20, 2006 09:14AM

Dude Wrote:
> They do offer pension plan I believe?
> That might be worth it.

Yes. Other benefits:

1) You are eligible for retirement after 25 years of service. If you join the force at the youngest allowable age for enrollment (21), it means you're eligible to retire at 46. Forty-freakin'-six. I say retire then and rub it in the face of everyone who's still working for the next 20 years to make up for the hole social security is going to burn in everyone's wallets.

2) H.R. 218 allows sworn **and retired** law enforcement personnel to carry a concealed firearm anywhere in the United States, exempt from any and all state laws governing concealed firearms. Certain restrictions may still apply (courthouses, etc.), but you won't have to worry about pulling over onto the shoulder at the American Legion Bridge to unload and lock your firearm away in your trunk so that Maryland police won't arrest you.

If you're even possibly interested, apply. It's better to get an offer and turn it down on a change of heart than to continue to wonder what could have been.

Date: July 20, 2006 09:42AM

If they gave me $65K+, I would apply tommorow :-)

Posted by: holla... ()
Date: July 20, 2006 10:11AM

Dude, a buddy of mine has been with ffx county for almost 2 years. He told me that in his first FULL year he grossed over 59k. Keep in mind he also said he works about 10 hrs of overtimne a week. He also told me about another dude that made about 95k that had only a couple more years on than him, so I guess if you want to work about 60 hrs a week (like most office jobs) you can make some decent cash. Plus I guess during OT, you do nothing at all.

Date: July 20, 2006 10:49AM

holla... Wrote:
> Dude, a buddy of mine has been with ffx county
> for almost 2 years. He told me that in his first
> FULL year he grossed over 59k. Keep in mind he
> also said he works about 10 hrs of overtimne a
> week. He also told me about another dude that made
> about 95k that had only a couple more years on
> than him, so I guess if you want to work about 60
> hrs a week (like most office jobs) you can make
> some decent cash. Plus I guess during OT, you do
> nothing at all.

It wouldn't surprise me... Sometimes when they need over-time for specific events they'll pay you at the end of the event with a check on the spot. Sometimes the per-hour pay for those gigs can run as high as $50. Tell me that isn't a good deal!

Date: July 20, 2006 10:56AM

My friend, I work 32 hour weeks.
I am sure some people in this area work 60+ hrs, but thats not my way.

Date: July 20, 2006 10:57AM

Did I mentioned that office jobs require zero risk? ;-)

Date: July 20, 2006 11:25AM

Dude Wrote:
> Did I mentioned that office jobs require zero
> risk? ;-)

Tell that to the families of people who worked in the WTC. Tell that to people who have survived office shootings. But that's not really my point...

Of course there's risk. While there's less risk in an office setting, as a police officer you'll not only have several options to defend yourself (baton, OC spray, pistol, shotgun), but you'll also have several hundred others with the same gear (maybe even more) available with a single call to dispatch. Whereas I once wore an empty pistol holster into my office at a well known government contracting company on a casual Friday (accidentally left it on after some range time Thursday evening) and almost got fired. I don't know what made them think a piece of leather could alchemically morph into a projectile weapon, but far be it for me to question the infinate wisdom of HR and corporate policy.

I know it sounds weird, but maybe you'll understand what I mean when you think about it. I would feel safer as a police officer than as just some John. Q. Public office jockey. I would like the thought that my work was making a legitimate difference in people's lives, as opposed to making a small group of people at the top of the totem pole slightly richer.

Date: July 20, 2006 11:40AM

No argument here.
To each their own, but those of us who want less risk and more pay, police force is not the way.

Date: July 20, 2006 11:44AM

Dude Wrote:
> No argument here.
> To each their own, but those of us who want less
> risk and more pay, police force is not the way.

You're absolutely right about that. Ask any law enforcement officer anywhere in the country why they do the job, and I guarantee not a one will say it's for the money...

Date: July 20, 2006 11:57AM

Except for those who make $95K :-)

Date: July 20, 2006 06:58PM

Thin Blue Line Wrote:
> You're absolutely right about that. Ask any law
> enforcement officer anywhere in the country why
> they do the job, and I guarantee not a one will
> say it's for the money...

actually, that's not true. at my provious job, a cop was talking to my supervisor and he said it was "just a job".

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: July 20, 2006 07:43PM

Get a tech job. Lots of risk when you tell somebody their harddrive is dead and they have lost all their data. Plus, you earn double the money and don't have to carry a gun.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 20, 2006 08:01PM

>Ask any law enforcement officer anywhere in the country why they do the job,
>and I guarantee not a one will say it's for the money...

That's not true. Go to some small towns in rural areas and cops make decent money relative to the local economy, at least enough to own a nice single family home. Plus, alot of times they will get personal usage of the police cruiser, which means they don't need to own two vehicles, and their health care benefits are usually alot better than average. The job isn't as dangerous (pretty much everything they deal with is alcohol+asshole nonsense), so the decent pay, job stability, & benefits are the attraction.

Posted by: piece of shitttt ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:23PM

I hope you got shot by a nigger

Posted by: X4WGu ()
Date: March 22, 2016 07:50PM

Read the fine print on the application carefully.

In Fairfax County Virginia only homosexuals and pedophiles need apply. Ten extra points added to applicants who are both.

Also, no Irish.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.