HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Announcement\Email
Posted by: Redsa ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:28AM

A message from FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Dear Parents:
We apologize for the difficulties the weather caused this morning. Please know that significant area government entities were coordinating at a very early hour. The decision was made with the best information we had very early this morning. Needless to say, the conditions were far worse than anticipated.

Weather conditions are expected to improve around midday. At this time, we are planning to dismiss schools at their normal dismissal time, however, we are continuing to closely monitor the situation and will keep parents apprised.

We are aware that people are asking us to cancel school. Students are safest at school when parents have not had a chance to make alternate plans for their child’s return home from school. However, should you wish to pick up your child early, we will accommodate you.

Again we apologize for the difficulties experienced this morning and we thank you for your patience.

Fairfax County Public Schools

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Announcement\Email
Posted by: Total BS ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:35AM

At 7 AM there where reports of 21 accidents in northern Virginia, at that point they should have called for a two hour delay, allowing them time to make the right decision to cancel altogether. Columbia Pike was moving at one mile every 20 minutes for most of the morning, in large part because buses and kids were on the roads when they shouldn't have been.

Someone needs to lose their job over this, particularly when the lawsuits hit the already strained budget.

Posted by: regular guy ()
Date: January 06, 2015 02:07PM

They can't make the call at 7am, the system is already in motion by then. Better choice is to call for 2-hour delay if accumulating snow is falling at 5:00a and reassess at 7:00a. If VDOT isn't pretreating the county at all, then close. The scanner was busy with the poor emergency response not being able to get anywhere because the road weren't pretreated, it's just pointless to battle VDOT.

FWIW a freind in a rural county a couple of counties west was pretreated AND they closed schools.

Posted by: It was VDOT's fault really it wa ()
Date: January 06, 2015 04:08PM

Don't you love how they sign the apology "Fairfax County Public Schools"?

The buck does not stop anywhere---it just gets passed around up there. Nobody's fault. No accountability up there, but the teachers---yeah they have to cow tow to those test scores. And the SB? They want to double their salaries.

Posted by: RydelllRoad ()
Date: January 06, 2015 04:38PM

They can't make the decision at 7am. One of my kids was already at school at 7am. I give them credit. They blew it and they are admitting it. These things are always judgment calls. If they had implemented a two hour delay at 5:30am and we got only a dusting... well, you know the very same people would be bringing out the bucket of tar and cleaning a chicken. That being said a two hour delay would have been very prudent and based on past decisions I am surprised they didn't do that. I'm glad I don't work for a lot of you - make one mistake and you are fired.

Bottom-line: if you didn't/don't think it was safe to send your kids to school then keep them home.

Posted by: Irater ()
Date: January 06, 2015 04:48PM

RydelllRoad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can't make the decision at 7am. One of my
> kids was already at school at 7am.

Other counties made the decision late and turned the buses around and sent kids home, smarter to reverse course than continue to send kids out in that mess.

My kids are reporting that some of the buses never made it to school. How many kids were waiting for buses that never came? How many kids were stuck on buses that slid into a ditch? How many kids were on buses involved in accidents?

But you're right, no point in trying to minimize the damage. Idiot.

Posted by: suggestion box ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:05PM

How about this-

If there is going to be a rush hour snowfall, have a two hour delay. That means the kids don't start on the busses until 8am. If in the meantime things deteriorate like this, they can change it to schools are closed. I realize this creates a lot of confusion. However, when children are urinating and defecating in their water bottles and lunch bags on a bus that is stuck in traffic for hours, there are multiple bus accidents and injuries, teachers are having car accidents, kids get to school and subs are there who don't really teach the material, kids are hanging out in the gym because the staff can't get to work, etc., it seems like a prudent way to handle things. The two hour delay buys you some time to see how things are developing. This would have worked today. At 4am they knew there was going to be a rush hour snowfall. I heard OPM was changing their terms at that hour. Why didn't FCPS take a hint? It was very obvious at 6 or 7 am that there were major problems. The school system should/could have closed for the day at that point.

Posted by: RydelllRoad ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:09PM

Irater Wrote:
> RydelllRoad Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They can't make the decision at 7am. One of my
> > kids was already at school at 7am.
>
> Other counties made the decision late and turned
> the buses around and sent kids home, smarter to
> reverse course than continue to send kids out in
> that mess.
>
> My kids are reporting that some of the buses never
> made it to school. How many kids were waiting for
> buses that never came? How many kids were stuck on
> buses that slid into a ditch? How many kids were
> on buses involved in accidents?
>
> But you're right, no point in trying to minimize
> the damage. Idiot.

You made a rational argument until the last word. Why was that necessary? You are the epitome of what is wrong in this world.

Posted by: Fucking Idiot ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:12PM

RydelllRoad

Posted by: Fucking Idiot ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:15PM

Crybaby

Posted by: Epitome of all that is wrong ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:17PM

Cunt hair

Posted by: FCPS employee ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:24PM

It's funny yo me because employees got the same email, just a different header. It was also posted on the emergency section of the site. It actually pissed off one of the unions. Very drama filled emails today

Posted by: lolidk912io3i13ob ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:47PM

did anyone actually die?

Posted by: show your work ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:53PM

FCPS employee Wrote:
> It's funny yo me because employees got the same
> email, just a different header. It was also posted
> on the emergency section of the site. It actually
> pissed off one of the unions. Very drama filled
> emails today

Examples?

Posted by: Suggestion box ()
Date: January 06, 2015 05:57PM

suggestion box Wrote:
> How about this-
>
> If there is going to be a rush hour snowfall, have
> a two hour delay. That means the kids don't start
> on the busses until 8am. If in the meantime things
> deteriorate like this, they can change it to
> schools are closed. I realize this creates a lot
> of confusion. However, when children are urinating
> and defecating in their water bottles and lunch
> bags on a bus that is stuck in traffic for hours,
> there are multiple bus accidents and injuries,
> teachers are having car accidents, kids get to
> school and subs are there who don't really teach
> the material, kids are hanging out in the gym
> because the staff can't get to work, etc., it
> seems like a prudent way to handle things. The two
> hour delay buys you some time to see how things
> are developing. This would have worked today. At
> 4am they knew there was going to be a rush hour
> snowfall. I heard OPM was changing their terms at
> that hour. Why didn't FCPS take a hint? It was
> very obvious at 6 or 7 am that there were major
> problems. The school system should/could have
> closed for the day at that point.

Tell people publicly up front that this could be a possibility and tell them to make arrangements for either scenario so they are not surprised and know to keep checking for updates.

Posted by: Your Govt ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:27PM

And to think that liberals still believe that authoritarian government bureaucrats always know whats best for you and every detail of your personal life...

Posted by: FCPS Employee ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:31PM

show your work Wrote:
> FCPS employee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's funny yo me because employees got the same
> > email, just a different header. It was also
> posted
> > on the emergency section of the site. It
> actually
> > pissed off one of the unions. Very drama filled
> > emails today
>
>
> Examples?

Dear Dr. Garza and Mr. Platenberg,

On behalf of the members of the Association of Fairfax Professional Educators (AFPE), I would like to express both disbelief and disappointment in the decision to open schools on time on Tuesday, January 6, 2015.

I am certain that you have already heard and will continue to hear from students, parents, teachers who were forced onto treacherous roads in order to get to schools this morning, so I will not recount the many stories we have gathered from our members. Instead, I will submit the following:

1) FCPS has expended extraordinary amounts of energy and money to reduce student stress and risk. It is counterintuitive and counterproductive to force them onto the roads under such treacherous weather conditions.

2) The adjustment to this year’s academic calendar “eliminates the need to make up inclement weather days at the end of the school year if fewer than 11 days are missed” (http://www.fcps.edu/news/school-year-14-15.shtml). We support taking advantage of the additional inclement weather days that this calendar change has afforded us.

3) The apology issued to employees was for the weather itself and not for the poor decision-making that put them on the roads. Local weather forecasters would argue that the information they provided was both accurate and timely enough for FCPS to have called for a delayed opening at the very least, if not for a complete closing, as many other local jurisdictions did.

Sincerely,

Becca N. Ferrick, President

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.