HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Class of 2019 Acceptances/Rejections/Deferrals
Posted by: FCPS Parent ()
Date: January 02, 2015 10:59AM

Wondering how county highs school students are faring in the college admissions process for the class of 2015. Our B+ student just got accepted to a good out-of-state school after two rejections and one deferral from three other good, but not too selective schools. Thought those were all safety schools for our students. Glad we have a pragmatic outlook about this process! We are hearing about A LOT of deferrals and rejections this year for some of our top students from our highly regarded FCPS High School. Anyone else hearing the same? (Please no comments about the entitled parents and children of Fairfax County.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Class of 2019 Acceptances/Rejections/Deferrals
Date: January 02, 2015 11:00AM

Make that *high - not *highs school

Posted by: Dean o rama ()
Date: January 02, 2015 11:52AM

Ok Daddy-O, a "B+" average is not going to cut it in today's ultra competitive college world. NVCC would be a good safety school for any FFX county HS student who is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. NVCC has 2 year guaranteed admittance transfer program to some of Virginia's top university's including UVA. The cost of tuition is much cheaper, than going to an out of state school, plus your kid can *gasp* get a menial 20 hour a week part time job to further offset expenses.

Posted by: Admissions Director ()
Date: January 02, 2015 11:57AM

Sorry that OP's learning disabled child wasn't accepted to William & Mary nor to UVA. I'm sure they'll do fine at Alabama.

Posted by: DDUFj ()
Date: January 02, 2015 12:09PM

Many in state schools are deferring kids if they apply early action or even for standard applications. My daughter was deferred from JMU and we did not hear until May 15th she was accepted. Too little, too late, but is did not matter in our case anyway.

She applied to 4 schools early action, decide she would only apply to her other 4 schools if she was not successful with her first 4 choices

She applied to her #1 choice early action and was accepted first by this school so it was a moot point anyway.

She was accepted to all 4 schools she applied to, just JMU deferred her until mid May.

I heard JMU deferred almost all the kids from her school anyway.

The problem is almost all schools are now seeing top numbers of applications and many are seeing their largest incoming Freshman classes.

My daughters school had over 30k applications for incoming Freshman and they accepted 1800 just to give you an idea of how out of control things are.

Also keep in mind, might not be a bad idea to try for a good fit rather than a name brand. Not sure name brand is always worth it at the end of the day. Not sure UVA has such a good name brand these days. Do you want your kid going to school in an environment when serial killers roam and out of control kids party too hard anyway?

We are also getting a lot of letters in the mail now from schools she was accepted to, but did not choose, about transferring in. We are NOT interested as things are going very well where she chose to go. No need to consider other options at this point.

Posted by: dgkj ()
Date: January 02, 2015 12:22PM

I guess Radford is not a name brand school but a really good fit for your daughter.

Posted by: ecHUv ()
Date: January 02, 2015 12:35PM

dgkj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess Radford is not a name brand school but a
> really good fit for your daughter.

Wrong, she would be miserable at Radford and it would not be much of a challenge for her.

Most in state schools were of no interest to her anyway. I think she tossed JMU into the mix just because.

Her first choice was a very good one and a very good fit and she was accepted and is doing very well there.

The key is/was ALL of these schools where HER choices, not ours. She has to own her decisions and it has been this way for a while.

Posted by: Fifudi ()
Date: January 02, 2015 12:57PM

dgkj Wrote:
> I guess Radford is not a name brand school but a
> really good fit for your daughter.

Is she hot? If so, it really doesn't matter. We will hire the hot Radford grad over the so-so looking Princeton grad. True story.

Posted by: sad but true ()
Date: January 02, 2015 01:08PM

^
This

Posted by: Just a thought ()
Date: January 02, 2015 04:41PM

Hey OP, why would you select this troll site for sound educational advice/feedback?!? If you want to talk smack about teen suicides creating morning rail delays, with FCPS administrators using school funds to helicopter to school to avoid said delays, sure. Need to complain about local contractors burying illegals in the courtyard at Clifton Elementary and then having a meal at Villagio, this is your spot. You might even find some useful info about the police using tax money to search for the Sports Junkies with a helicopter in the Chantilly area.

Posted by: UVAer ()
Date: January 02, 2015 06:33PM

If you want sound advice, go to College Confidential. If you want input from people who aren't tiger moms or asians, then this site isn't TOO bad.

I applied to UVA yesterday. I have a 2180 SAT and 4.2 but shitty ECs. I really hope they come through... I wanna bang some drunk UVA hoes.

I also applied early to GMU and got in (shocker) with 3,000/year scholarship which is cool I guess. I'll be waiting on a shit ton of schools for a long time

Date: January 03, 2015 12:38PM

^Thanks but I'm not seeking advice as much I'm really just curious to see how FCPS students are faring overall this year. College Confidential doesn't break out forums by school district. My student didn't want to go in state. Congrats on getting some money from GMU! And thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: Scattergram ()
Date: January 03, 2015 12:46PM

Do not forget about the Scattergram for some ideas as to what is going on with acceptance. Not sure when it is updated for the current year?

Posted by: check ()
Date: January 03, 2015 11:53PM

Dean o rama Wrote:
> Ok Daddy-O, a "B+" average is not going to cut it
> in today's ultra competitive college world. NVCC
> would be a good safety school for any FFX county
> HS student who is clearly not the sharpest tool in
> the shed. NVCC has 2 year guaranteed admittance
> transfer program to some of Virginia's top
> university's including UVA. The cost of tuition is
> much cheaper, than going to an out of state
> school, plus your kid can *gasp* get a menial 20
> hour a week part time job to further offset
> expenses.

there are conditions to guaranteed admissions, a 2.0 from NVCC will not make it to UVA, NVCC does not automatically transfer to engineering or business colleges at a university. NVCC is good for arts and sciences transfers if you are a biology, history or English major.

Posted by: Go NVCC ()
Date: January 04, 2015 01:20AM

check Wrote:
> Dean o rama Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ok Daddy-O, a "B+" average is not going to cut
> it
> > in today's ultra competitive college world.
> NVCC
> > would be a good safety school for any FFX county
>
> > HS student who is clearly not the sharpest tool
> in
> > the shed. NVCC has 2 year guaranteed admittance
> > transfer program to some of Virginia's top
> > university's including UVA. The cost of tuition
> is
> > much cheaper, than going to an out of state
> > school, plus your kid can *gasp* get a menial
> 20
> > hour a week part time job to further offset
> > expenses.
>
> there are conditions to guaranteed admissions, a
> 2.0 from NVCC will not make it to UVA, NVCC does
> not automatically transfer to engineering or
> business colleges at a university. NVCC is good
> for arts and sciences transfers if you are a
> biology, history or English major.

NVCC would be a good start, I've known 3 people who have transferred there from NVCC and got into the program they wanted. It's a good bet that if you get accepted into the school you will get accepted into their specific program.

My cousin also transferred into VT's engineering program and now has his own business creating guns for DoD.

People try and make NVCC seem like it is just for high school drop outs but it really isn't.

Posted by: N64MV ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:46AM

NVCC is like any other establishment, you get out of it what you put into it.

NVCC actually has some very good teachers/professors, sometimes they are equal to or better than some of the name brand institutions. Most of the NVCC teachers/professors bring a lot more "real world" experience to the class rooms as well as some of the students that are in the workforce.

Not just always a bunch of young kids right out of high school.

I have taken classes at NVCC and for the most part been very happy with teachers/professors and the total experience.

I know plenty of kids that went "off to college" and for many reasons did not cut it and were home before the 2nd semester began. Many of these kids had never been away from home, did not know how to manage their time, did not have someone around to tell them "no", or just thought college was one big party and forgot they were actually supposed to attend class and do classwork. Sad for the kids and parents. Sometimes this is actually just as much the parents fault as the students. Also not helpful to the college or university they attended as it impacts enrollment and even roommate situations.

So often a place like NVCC may be a good launching point for kids that are not "ready/mature" to go off on their own.

Parents and students have to look very hard at this next step to determine if the student is ready for college, ready to go away from home and is ready and willing to take ownership and be as responsible as a 17/18 year old can be.

Posted by: Major Donor ()
Date: January 04, 2015 09:22AM

My kid has a 3.6 GPA and shitty scores. Sucks at math and science. Never cut it in sports. Joined a couple stupid high school clubs. Too spoiled for a job. No real community service or volunteer work other than fake hours from a friend with a bogus non-profit education thing - a shell for the Tea Party.

Kid has no passion in life. Drinks like a fish. I suspect smokes a fair bit of weed too in between video games in the basement and the 2 suspensions from school - for fighting.

He got accepted to UVA, W&M, and VaTech.

How? Just called one of my GOP handler buddies, asked for letters of recommendation from some prominent people, and they put the phone calls in to various leaders at the school.

It's actually kind of funny that college educated full grown adults with college age kids still don't understand how the world really works. You people and your Obama hopey changey thing are quite amusing.

All you have to do is spread $50K to $100K around the right political circles every year, attend the right fund raisers, and lots of doors open up to you and your kids.

I'm doing it right with my 2nd wife and our two daughters. Ivy League all the way.

Posted by: Trolling Down the River ()
Date: January 04, 2015 09:58AM

Major Donor Wrote:
> My kid has a 3.6 GPA and shitty scores. Sucks at
> math and science. Never cut it in sports. Joined
> a couple stupid high school clubs. Too spoiled for
> a job. No real community service or volunteer work
> other than fake hours from a friend with a bogus
> non-profit education thing - a shell for the Tea
> Party.
>
> Kid has no passion in life. Drinks like a fish. I
> suspect smokes a fair bit of weed too in between
> video games in the basement and the 2 suspensions
> from school - for fighting.
>
> He got accepted to UVA, W&M, and VaTech.
>
> How? Just called one of my GOP handler buddies,
> asked for letters of recommendation from some
> prominent people, and they put the phone calls in
> to various leaders at the school.
>
> It's actually kind of funny that college educated
> full grown adults with college age kids still
> don't understand how the world really works. You
> people and your Obama hopey changey thing are
> quite amusing.
>
> All you have to do is spread $50K to $100K around
> the right political circles every year, attend the
> right fund raisers, and lots of doors open up to
> you and your kids.
>
> I'm doing it right with my 2nd wife and our two
> daughters. Ivy League all the way.

You're a loser liberal troll. Get a life, faggot.

Posted by: Excellent response, bro ()
Date: January 04, 2015 10:28AM

^+1

Posted by: ypwCt ()
Date: January 04, 2015 11:26AM

Major Donor Wrote:
> My kid has a 3.6 GPA and shitty scores. Sucks at
> math and science. Never cut it in sports. Joined
> a couple stupid high school clubs. Too spoiled for
> a job. No real community service or volunteer work
> other than fake hours from a friend with a bogus
> non-profit education thing - a shell for the Tea
> Party.
>
> Kid has no passion in life. Drinks like a fish. I
> suspect smokes a fair bit of weed too in between
> video games in the basement and the 2 suspensions
> from school - for fighting.
>
> He got accepted to UVA, W&M, and VaTech.
>
> How? Just called one of my GOP handler buddies,
> asked for letters of recommendation from some
> prominent people, and they put the phone calls in
> to various leaders at the school.
>
> It's actually kind of funny that college educated
> full grown adults with college age kids still
> don't understand how the world really works. You
> people and your Obama hopey changey thing are
> quite amusing.
>
> All you have to do is spread $50K to $100K around
> the right political circles every year, attend the
> right fund raisers, and lots of doors open up to
> you and your kids.
>
> I'm doing it right with my 2nd wife and our two
> daughters. Ivy League all the way.

Sounds like a problem with the parents. If the kid has no passion in life, not sure I would invest in sending the kid off to school, not sure college will teach him the things the parents didn't.

Ivy League is not the end all either, just a bunch of the same plain vanillas and the "Not invented here" establishment.

I would rather my kids go somewhere that they need to think, take changes, have failures and successes and if they come up with an idea the administration encourages them to run with it and make it stick to the wall.

Posted by: TJ Grad ()
Date: January 04, 2015 11:35AM

In my day, UVa was a safety school. They gave us all Echols Scholar too.

Posted by: Kingman Brewster IV ()
Date: January 05, 2015 04:18PM

I call BS on this statement. << My daughters school had over 30k applications for incoming Freshman and they accepted 1800 just to give you an idea of how out of control things are. >>

That implies a 6% acceptance rate. Only HYPS -- Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford have acceptance rates that low.

Posted by: lolololol ()
Date: January 05, 2015 04:20PM

Competing for which liberal indoctrination camp will corrupt your child even more while creating more debt slaves!

Posted by: Slacker U ()
Date: January 05, 2015 04:27PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Hey you. I will take a mocha latte. Thanks. Ignorance is no excuse for your station in life.

Posted by: khDUh ()
Date: January 05, 2015 05:53PM

Kingman Brewster IV Wrote:
> I call BS on this statement. << My daughters
> school had over 30k applications for incoming
> Freshman and they accepted 1800 just to give you
> an idea of how out of control things are. >>
>
> That implies a 6% acceptance rate. Only HYPS --
> Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford have acceptance
> rates that low.

I would wager that there are probably 2-3 times the students accepted and only X many accept. So the acceptance rate is actually higher than you have calculated it.

Seems to be the norm when you hear most kids are applying to about a dozen schools and I heard the record number of colleges applied to last year by one student at a FCPS High School was 32!

Posted by: AlexPara ()
Date: January 05, 2015 06:14PM

I got accepted to MIT, im so happy. I never knew this would happen!

Posted by: Kingman Brewster IV ()
Date: January 05, 2015 08:43PM

No, indeed the acceptance rates for HYPS are 6-7%. The "yield" from the accepted pool runs about 70% for these elite schools since there are overlapping acceptances. So, approximately 4-5% of the total applicants actually matriculate.

Kingman Brewster IV
Yale, Class of 1980

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.