HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Federal immigration officials raid Loudoun resort; 59 arrested
Posted by: DK ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:15AM

http://www.examiner.com/a-1328881~Federal_immigration_officials_raid_Loudoun_resort__59_arrested.html?cid=rss-Washington_DC

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - Federal immigration authorities arrested 59 workers at a luxury Loudoun County resort Tuesday on suspicion of being in the country illegally.

The early-morning raid at Lansdowne Resort by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents was the result of an inspection into the workers’ employment documents that began in the summer, said ICE spokesman Michael Keegan.

He said the agency found the suspected illegal immigrants had falsified or stolen I-9 forms, which certify the legal ability to work in the United States.

Of the 59 workers, two females were immediately released for “humanitarian concerns,” and six were arrested outside of Lansdowne. About 100 employees were interviewed, according to ICE.

The remaining 57 were taken to an undisclosed federal facility in the area where ICE conducted “a more in-depth processing and investigation,” Keegan said. They all will be interviewed by Department of Health and Human Services staff.

Those arrested are nationals of Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, the agency said.

A spokeswoman for Lansdowne could not be immediately reached Tuesday.

The hotel resort sits near Leesburg on Woodridge Parkway about 15 minutes from Washington Dulles International Airport, and features 305 “sumptuously appointed guest rooms and suites,” two 18-hole golf courses, a short nine-hole course and other amenities.

A warrant was not necessary because the hotel had cooperated throughout the investigation, Keegan said.

Just two weeks ago, on March 24, ICE agents arrested 34 illegal immigrants at two CMC Concrete Construction work sites in Manassas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Federal immigration officials raid Loudoun resort; 59 arrested
Posted by: Jester ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:34AM

Good. Now tell ICE to clean up the FFX County 7-Elevens.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:37AM

ICE ICE baby

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:45AM

Who goes there anyway? I can't imagine it..."You've won a 2-week resort getaway to sunny and exotic...northern Virginia." ?? The only use I can imagine for a resort in Loudoun county is if it's used by people on business trips to the DC area.

Posted by: >> ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:47AM

its used for corporate gatherings, and golf.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:49AM

Corporate retreats. My firm does its annual "partners" meeting there.

Posted by: Landsdowne Republican Fat-Cat ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:57AM

Where's my caddy? Where's my fucking caddy!!!!???

Posted by: shutemdown ()
Date: April 09, 2008 10:13AM

Contact the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors (bos@loudoun.gov)

Feel free to copy and send the following:

HIRING ILLEGALS IS UNAMERICAN AND CONTRIBUTING TO THE DETERIATING QUALITY OF LIFE IN LOUDOUN COUNTY!!! I'm calling for a complete boycott of all events at Lansdowne. Lansdowne management is a bunch of traitors that will forsake the security and fair wages to real AMERICAN workers for cheap, illegal labor and exploited for profit. I'm going to support the cancellation of your county business license with the Loudoun Board of Supervisors and hopefully shut your UNAMERICAN business DOWN!!!

Either the Loudoun BOS takes IMMEDIATE ACTION TO SANCTION LANSDOWNE or the BOS will be viewed as complicent to the UNAMERCIAN practice of condoning, aiding and abetting the hiring of people who are illegal in the county.

Siding with illegals and their supporters will always be a losing strategy to the LEGAL citizens of Loudoun County.

Posted by: COASTIE ()
Date: April 09, 2008 10:15AM

My wife's agency just planned ther annual off site meetings there. Its only a short jaunt from their DC offices. What a waste!

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: April 09, 2008 10:29AM

shutemdown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
> (bos@loudoun.gov)
>
> Feel free to copy and send the following:
>
> HIRING ILLEGALS IS UNAMERICAN AND CONTRIBUTING TO
> THE DETERIATING QUALITY OF LIFE IN LOUDOUN
> COUNTY!!! I'm calling for a complete boycott of
> all events at Lansdowne. Lansdowne management is a
> bunch of traitors that will forsake the security
> and fair wages to real AMERICAN workers for cheap,
> illegal labor and exploited for profit. I'm going
> to support the cancellation of your county
> business license with the Loudoun Board of
> Supervisors and hopefully shut your UNAMERICAN
> business DOWN!!!
>
> Either the Loudoun BOS takes IMMEDIATE ACTION TO
> SANCTION LANSDOWNE or the BOS will be viewed as
> complicent to the UNAMERCIAN practice of
> condoning, aiding and abetting the hiring of
> people who are illegal in the county.
>
> Siding with illegals and their supporters will
> always be a losing strategy to the LEGAL citizens
> of Loudoun County.

Sanction Landsdowne for what? They didn't break the law. The illegals provided the required paperwork (though forged). What is Landsdowne supposed to do? There is nothing in the immigration system/SS system Landsdowne can legally do to verify immigration status outside of those folks handing in the paperwork.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: April 09, 2008 10:30AM

What about all the people in DC without jobs? What about legal HS drop-outs? Do a work coop program with schools where kids get paid AS A FORM OF VOTECH. Landsdowne, A Corporate Partner with Fairfax County Public Schools. Don't even need to fund buildings with school bonds.

Date: April 09, 2008 11:32AM

taxpayer Wrote:
> What about all the people in DC without jobs?

How or why are poor people in DC going to travel 30 miles (each way) to a minimum wage job? The transportation costs would eat up most of the earnings.

> What about legal HS drop-outs?

Have you spent any time with a HS drop-out? They are idiots. Would you hire an idiot??

Do a work coop
> program with schools where kids get paid AS A FORM
> OF VOTECH.

That accounts for 10 hours a week, if you can get a student. The percentage of kids in vo tech programs nowadays is pretty small.

Landsdowne, A Corporate Partner with
> Fairfax County Public Schools. Don't even need
> to fund buildings with school bonds.

Oh, Fairfax (or Loudoun) taxpayers would end up paying.

Posted by: TwoCanes ()
Date: April 09, 2008 11:53AM

wow.... 59 down.... how many more to go? 30 million? :(

I salute the men and women who work for ICE. It's a tough
job, but somebody's gotta do it... :)

Posted by: justlooktheotherway ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:19PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> shutdown Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Contact the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
> > (bos@loudoun.gov)
> >
> > Feel free to copy and send the following:
> >
> > HIRING ILLEGALS IS UNAMERICAN AND CONTRIBUTING
> TO
> > THE DETERIATING QUALITY OF LIFE IN LOUDOUN
> > COUNTY!!! I'm calling for a complete boycott of
> > all events at Lansdowne. Lansdowne management is
> a
> > bunch of traitors that will forsake the
> security
> > and fair wages to real AMERICAN workers for
> cheap,
> > illegal labor and exploited for profit. I'm
> going
> > to support the cancellation of your county
> > business license with the Loudoun Board of
> > Supervisors and hopefully shut your UNAMERICAN
> > business DOWN!!!
> >
> > Either the Loudoun BOS takes IMMEDIATE ACTION
> TO
> > SANCTION LANSDOWNE or the BOS will be viewed as
> > complicent to the UNAMERCIAN practice of
> > condoning, aiding and abetting the hiring of
> > people who are illegal in the county.
> >
> > Siding with illegals and their supporters will
> > always be a losing strategy to the LEGAL
> citizens
> > of Loudoun County.
>
> Sanction Lansdowne for what? They didn't break
> the law. The illegals provided the required
> paperwork (though forged). What is Lansdowne
> supposed to do? There is nothing in the
> immigration system/SS system Landsdowne can
> legally do to verify immigration status outside of
> those folks handing in the paperwork.

Yea!, right... Lansdowne was just an innocent victim in this case. They had "no-clue" that their employees might be illegal. Ever hear of the SSA eVerify program? The one that matches employee SS # with the SSA database?

Date: April 09, 2008 01:29PM

justlooktheotherway Wrote:

> Yea!, right... Lansdowne was just an innocent
> victim in this case. They had "no-clue" that
> their employees might be illegal. Ever hear of
> the SSA eVerify program? The one that matches
> employee SS # with the SSA database?

From the eVerify site...

Q : Can I verify the immigration status of a new hire that is not a U.S. citizen?

No. E-Verify verifies a new hire's employment eligibility, not his or her immigration status.

From the Social Security Administration Database...

* Any employer that uses the failure of the information to match SSA records to take inappropriate adverse action against a worker may violate State or Federal law.

* The information you receive from SSNVS does not make any statement regarding a worker's immigration status.

As I said, there is now way for Landsdowne to legally verify if these folks are here illegally or if they are on a work visa or whatever. The way the laws are written, the onus is on the immigrants, not the employer.

Posted by: HOOOOOOOOOORAY ()
Date: April 09, 2008 04:36PM

HIP HIP HOOOORAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP IT UP BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: April 10, 2008 07:10AM

I wonder how many Amerikans have lined up this morning to replace them?

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: April 10, 2008 07:28AM

In an unrelated story, Mobil Travel Guide this morning has reduced Lansdowne's overall rating from four diamonds to three diamonds citing a "complete turnaround for the worse in service."

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 10, 2008 08:06AM

On a related note, WTOP ran a brief article this morning on the impending labor shortage in the DC area. A new economic study was released predicting a shortage of about 800,000 "custodial workers" in the area. The economy's already on the downslide because of poor planning and fiscal irresponsibilty, now we can add a reduction in labor supply into the mix.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1383749

I wonder who they'll blame next for the "deteriorating standard of living".

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: April 10, 2008 08:52AM

Exactly...the illegal immigrant issue is the most emotional issue there is and the proposed solution to deport these people the most rediculous solution. These people are here to work...workers we need...and we are chasing them away!

Date: April 10, 2008 09:49AM

TheMeeper Wrote:

>
> http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1383749
>
> I wonder who they'll blame next for the
> "deteriorating standard of living".

All the right wingers bitch that these folks aren't paying their fair share. If we had immigration reform, these folks could all have proper documentation and pay their fair share of taxes.

To me, the problem isn't illegal immigrants, per se. The problem is the underground economy they create because they are illegal. If we had a comprehensive way of dealing with this, we could address problems like over-crowded housing, use of services, etc. Sticking our heads in the sand and screaming "deport them all" isn't going to address the issue.

The fact is the American population won't grow without immigration. The American population is getting older and is having fewer children (per capita). Immigration is the only way our country will be able to meet its workforce needs in the coming decades.

The illegal immigrants are taking jobs Americans won't do. Our society is placing more value on education. It is considered shameful nowadays for a white person or a black person born in this country to work as a janitor or cutting lawns. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, but there is now a stigma to it. Our education system isn't expected to educate ditch-diggers. It is expected to educate accountants, project managers, lawyers, etc. We aren't the blue collar nation we were 30 or 40 years ago. We are a white color society. We don't have enough Americans who are willing to work for $7.50 an hour.

Date: April 10, 2008 09:55AM

Bullshit on the jobs issues. Immigrants take SOME jobs that Americans won't do. I know a lot of Americans who will weld, paint, do construction, drywall, stock shelves, and clean. The fact of the matter is that because of the illegals seeping into these jobs, employers are UNWILLING to pay wages that are commensurate with the work. Why would a person do welding for $12.50 an hour when they used to be paid $18.00 an hour.

And, I found a curious thing. I was out in Los Angeles last month on a business trip. Saw several constuction sites with buildings being erected - looked like garden style apartments and condos. Over on the construction site, 90% of the workers that I saw there were non-hispanic looking workers. And these were the guys hammering nails and pouring concrete - not the "bosses". Doubtful that they were all illegals from Bulgaria or Latvia.

Posted by: thinkbeforeyoutype ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:01AM

the main issue i have with illegal immigrants are the lawsuits and all the privledges that are being demanded by them.

they are here illegally and i have personally seen many cases in my job where they want some type of government benefit or are planning on suing the government or an agency because they feel they were not treated fairly or their rights were impeaded.

i have a strong feeling that while no one should be abused or phsyically hurt, that the US Constitution and associated laws should only apply to US Citizens and others that are in the country legally.

perfect example.....

if a woman who is an illegal immigrant reports a domestic violence situation where her husband/boyfriend/child hit her, she can have given what is called a "U" Visa which will automatically give her and her children legal precense, more or less permantly.

i am not saying it is okay to hit your wife...what i am trying to say is just because you are the victim of a crime, you are still here illegally and should NEVER be rewarded for it.

Posted by: ba ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:04AM

FUNdamental Wrote:
> In an unrelated story, Mobil Travel Guide this
> morning has reduced Lansdowne's overall rating
> from four diamonds to three diamonds citing a
> "complete turnaround for the worse in service."

No, it's most likely related. Most illegals can't speak English. If I were a businessman paying top dollar for an event there I wouldn't want to have to bring a translator with me. Communication is key...

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:16AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I wonder how many Amerikans have lined up this
> morning to replace them?

You're stupid.

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:17AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> Exactly...the illegal immigrant issue is the most
> emotional issue there is and the proposed solution
> to deport these people the most rediculous
> solution. These people are here to work...workers
> we need...and we are chasing them away!

You're stupid.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:23AM

ITRADE Wrote:
jobs issue

I don't think construction is always the best example to use in the immigrant-jobs debate. Alot of construction work requires skill and experience, tradecrafts that pay more. Yes, cheap immigrant labor does skew that type of market and I'm sure there are alot of legal citizens that kinda get priced out by it.

I'm thinking more in terms of things like:

How many chicks do you know that want to clean hotel bathrooms for a living? How many guys do you know that want to make a career out of picking fruit, or hauling mulch around? Real grunt work. Things that most of expect in our lives nowadays, things we expect to be cheap.

I'm not a proponent of people being here illegally. I just think we need to be more pragmatic in finding a solution. If we quickly remove these types of employees from our economy, there will be a huge strain on people like you and me that create demand for those kinds of cheap services.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: April 10, 2008 10:23AM

ToneLocian - the reason that these low skilled jobs pay $7.50 an hour is because there are people to fill them. If illegal immigration is controlled, these jobs will not pay $7.50 and hour but something more and businesses, rather than enjoying corporate welfare and the subsidy of cheap illegal labor, will have to pay more for their employees and then must pass the costs on to their customers or consumers. The increased costs are not a problem - if the costs for, let's say, a resort or a restaurant are too high, they will choose other forms of entertainment, and adjust. That's the way it should be.

The whole argument of illegals do the jobs others won't do is silly - because it ignores that the fact that the illegal subsidies frustrate the operation of the labor market. Really, now, suppose lawn services get too expensive because of a shortage of labor. Great! Rich or upper middle class people will adjust. They will either let more expanse simply grow (good for the environment and water usage), or opt for a much lower maintenance form of property (also good for the environment, by the way). Ditto for farm work. In Australia, there is considerable capital investment in the wine industry to automate the picking of grapes - they enforce immigration laws there. But is that happening here? No. It is much easier to try and continue to rely on illegal labor and operate inefficiently. And so on. All of this happens because the left has a misguided policy of not appropriately protecting our sovereignty through immigration control and the right is all too happy to accept an insidious form of corporate welfare. Pox on both houses. And worse yet, we provide no incentive for the Mexico's and Central American countries to fix their problems. They export their potential dissidents against their inefficient and corrupt regimes. And the enormous costs - whether in the form of health care, lost tax revenue (the lack of allocative efficiency alone in the labor market costs income tax revenue even if one believes that the majority of illegals pay income taxes - an iffy proposition), burdens on schools, and significantly - costs in the criminal justice system are borne by us.

Date: April 10, 2008 10:31AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> ITRADE Wrote:
> jobs issue
>
> I don't think construction is always the best
> example to use in the immigrant-jobs debate. Alot
> of construction work requires skill and
> experience, tradecrafts that pay more. Yes, cheap
> immigrant labor does skew that type of market and
> I'm sure there are alot of legal citizens that
> kinda get priced out by it.
>
> I'm thinking more in terms of things like:
>
> How many chicks do you know that want to clean
> hotel bathrooms for a living? How many guys do
> you know that want to make a career out of picking
> fruit, or hauling mulch around? Real grunt work.
> Things that most of expect in our lives nowadays,
> things we expect to be cheap.
>
> I'm not a proponent of people being here
> illegally. I just think we need to be more
> pragmatic in finding a solution. If we quickly
> remove these types of employees from our economy,
> there will be a huge strain on people like you and
> me that create demand for those kinds of cheap
> services.

Thats why I mentioned SOME jobs. Thats why the Admninistration proposed a guest worker program to fill those positions which have always historically been done with migrant labor - agricutural work, SOME cleaning work, etc.

That being said, there are a significant number of Americans who are priced out of the market owing to the presence of illegals. As I noted - construction is one of them. All of those brawny guys who stand around Elden Street and on Cedar lane are accustomed to doing drywall work, painting, etc. A lot of Americans USED to do that work, but don't anymore becuase people know that the immigrants will take the $11.00 an hour to do it.

I know the knee jerk reaction will be that the cheap labor helps the economy. To an extent, yes. But to an extent no. The money earned by the immigrants is by and large not retained in the United States. They live in meager conditions in the US and send the remainder of the money home to El Salvador, Guatemala, Bolivia, or Ecuador. If the wage was paid to a permanent citizen, the wage would be $17 or $18 an hour, but all of it would be spent domestically - improving the economy directly as oppsed to being wired offshore.

Date: April 10, 2008 10:34AM

ba Wrote:
> FUNdamental Wrote:
> -----
> > In an unrelated story, Mobil Travel Guide this
> > morning has reduced Lansdowne's overall rating
> > from four diamonds to three diamonds citing a
> > "complete turnaround for the worse in service."
>
>
> No, it's most likely related. Most illegals can't
> speak English. If I were a businessman paying top
> dollar for an event there I wouldn't want to have
> to bring a translator with me. Communication is
> key...

Dumbass. How many times do you speak to a resort maid or gardener or kitchen helper?? These folks aren't interfacing with the clients. Apparently you have never actually stayed at a resort.

Date: April 10, 2008 10:41AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Bullshit on the jobs issues. Immigrants take SOME
> jobs that Americans won't do. I know a lot of
> Americans who will weld, paint, do construction,
> drywall, stock shelves, and clean.

They are low or no skill jobs. They are lucky to get $12.50 an hour for them. There are SOME Americans willing to do these jobs, but not nearly enough to meet the total demand.

The fact of
> the matter is that because of the illegals seeping
> into these jobs, employers are UNWILLING to pay
> wages that are commensurate with the work. Why
> would a person do welding for $12.50 an hour when
> they used to be paid $18.00 an hour.
>

Love it. Republicans have systematically dismantled Unions over the past 30 years - for positions like welders - and now they are bitching that welding doesn't pay enough to attract Americans. The issue isn't illegal immigration. The issue is corporations dictating terms to the workforce due to lack of representation. It happens in every industry. Wal-Mart basically drove Rubbermaid into the ground over price and it had nothing to do with illegal immigration.

> And, I found a curious thing. I was out in Los
> Angeles last month on a business trip. Saw
> several constuction sites with buildings being
> erected - looked like garden style apartments and
> condos. Over on the construction site, 90% of the
> workers that I saw there were non-hispanic looking
> workers. And these were the guys hammering nails
> and pouring concrete - not the "bosses". Doubtful
> that they were all illegals from Bulgaria or
> Latvia.

So either you are saying that all Hispanics have left LA or that if white people do want a job illegal immigrants haven't kept them from getting them. Correct?

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: April 10, 2008 11:10AM

quantum Wrote:
> ToneLocian - the reason that these low skilled
> jobs pay $7.50 an hour is because there are people
> to fill them. If illegal immigration is
> controlled, these jobs will not pay $7.50 and hour
> but something more and businesses, rather than
> enjoying corporate welfare and the subsidy of
> cheap illegal labor, will have to pay more for
> their employees and then must pass the costs on to
> their customers or consumers. The increased costs
> are not a problem - if the costs for, let's say, a
> resort or a restaurant are too high, they will
> choose other forms of entertainment, and adjust.
> That's the way it should be.
>
> The whole argument of illegals do the jobs others
> won't do is silly - because it ignores that the
> fact that the illegal subsidies frustrate the
> operation of the labor market. Really, now,
> suppose lawn services get too expensive because of
> a shortage of labor. Great! Rich or upper middle
> class people will adjust. They will either let
> more expanse simply grow (good for the environment
> and water usage), or opt for a much lower
> maintenance form of property (also good for the
> environment, by the way). Ditto for farm work. In
> Australia, there is considerable capital
> investment in the wine industry to automate the
> picking of grapes - they enforce immigration laws
> there. But is that happening here? No. It is
> much easier to try and continue to rely on illegal
> labor and operate inefficiently. And so on. All
> of this happens because the left has a misguided
> policy of not appropriately protecting our
> sovereignty through immigration control and the
> right is all too happy to accept an insidious form
> of corporate welfare. Pox on both houses. And
> worse yet, we provide no incentive for the
> Mexico's and Central American countries to fix
> their problems. They export their potential
> dissidents against their inefficient and corrupt
> regimes. And the enormous costs - whether in the
> form of health care, lost tax revenue (the lack of
> allocative efficiency alone in the labor market
> costs income tax revenue even if one believes that
> the majority of illegals pay income taxes - an
> iffy proposition), burdens on schools, and
> significantly - costs in the criminal justice
> system are borne by us.

I see landscapers send out crews of 4-6 when 2 would do. Last week a paving comany doing a single car width driveway on beulah had 8 guys. One landscaper once sent 5 people out to my house for 3 days - same amount of work as done by 3 college kids in 1 day.

Date: April 10, 2008 11:21AM

taxpayer Wrote:

>
> I see landscapers send out crews of 4-6 when 2
> would do. Last week a paving comany doing a single
> car width driveway on beulah had 8 guys. One
> landscaper once sent 5 people out to my house for
> 3 days - same amount of work as done by 3 college
> kids in 1 day.

Three college kids in this area won't do the work (unless they go to NoVA). It's virtually impossible to get a white kid to mow your lawn these days. And when they do, they don't show up half the time.

Posted by: ba ()
Date: April 10, 2008 11:51AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> ba Wrote:
> -----
> > FUNdamental Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > In an unrelated story, Mobil Travel Guide
> this
> > > morning has reduced Lansdowne's overall
> rating
> > > from four diamonds to three diamonds citing a
> > > "complete turnaround for the worse in
> service."
> >
> >
> > No, it's most likely related. Most illegals
> can't
> > speak English. If I were a businessman paying
> top
> > dollar for an event there I wouldn't want to
> have
> > to bring a translator with me. Communication
> is
> > key...
>
> Dumbass. How many times do you speak to a resort
> maid or gardener or kitchen helper?? These folks
> aren't interfacing with the clients. Apparently
> you have never actually stayed at a resort.

As a Marriott Platinum member (75+ nights a year), actually many times...dumbass.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:44PM

Service at resorts can be defined as the promptness of the food delivery in the restaurant, the quick turn around on bussing and resetting of tables so there is little wait time for the dinner guest, the refilling of water at the dining table, the quality of house cleaning and room cleaning, among other services that don't require much at all interaction with the guest.

Hotels and resorts don't employ "maids" or have "maid service." Hotels and resorts employ "House Keepers"; Why didn't you pick that one up, Mr. 75+ nights a year?

Date: April 10, 2008 02:34PM

ba Wrote:
> WashingToneLocian Wrote:

>
> As a Marriott Platinum member (75+ nights a year),
> actually many times...dumbass.

What's funny about that statement is that the head of Marriott has come out in defense of hiring illegal immigrants. If you put your money where your mouth is, you would avoid staying in Marriott hotels. Of course, I stay in Marriotts too because they have superior quality and service (I guess all those illegals aren't so bad after all).

Posted by: lol ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:42PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> ba Wrote:
> -----
> > WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> >
>
>
> >
> > As a Marriott Platinum member (75+ nights a
> year),
> > actually many times...dumbass.
>
>
> What's funny about that statement is that the head
> of Marriott has come out in defense of hiring
> illegal immigrants. If you put your money where
> your mouth is, you would avoid staying in Marriott
> hotels. Of course, I stay in Marriotts too because
> they have superior quality and service (I guess
> all those illegals aren't so bad after all).

ooo get em well i think i dont know i dont want to say anything about this situation because they are working for us cheaper and maybe better quality

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:12PM

WHAT A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!! It would be really nice if we went after Osama Bin Laden, you know the guy that actually DID KILL 3,000 Americans, with the same gusto that ICE goes after hardworking immigrants. Their crime was working hard for their families and providing a semi-decent future for their kids. Are we as a country that f**** up? Just incredible. And Bin Laden is planning the next attack in Pakistan. The Bush Administration never fails to amaze me.

Posted by: F-U-C-K-E-D ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:23PM

You should just say FUCKED UP.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:27PM

Thanks, FUCKED UP!

Posted by: fuckfuckfuckfuck ()
Date: April 10, 2008 04:35PM

It feels good to swear.:)

Posted by: EUROPEAN ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:48PM

Bring the Europeans back!!

Relax immigration laws so Europeans can come.

Ever notice how much better the work ethic and service is when a European is performing the job?

Posted by: Issues with immigration ()
Date: June 13, 2013 08:04PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Bullshit on the jobs issues. Immigrants take SOME
> jobs that Americans won't do. I know a lot of
> Americans who will weld, paint, do construction,
> drywall, stock shelves, and clean. The fact of
> the matter is that because of the illegals seeping
> into these jobs, employers are UNWILLING to pay
> wages that are commensurate with the work. Why
> would a person do welding for $12.50 an hour when
> they used to be paid $18.00 an hour.
>
> And, I found a curious thing. I was out in Los
> Angeles last month on a business trip. Saw
> several constuction sites with buildings being
> erected - looked like garden style apartments and
> condos. Over on the construction site, 90% of the
> workers that I saw there were non-hispanic looking
> workers. And these were the guys hammering nails
> and pouring concrete - not the "bosses". Doubtful
> that they were all illegals from Bulgaria or
> Latvia.

Posted by: StupidLibs ()
Date: June 13, 2013 08:25PM

JC Wrote:
> Their crime was working
> hard for their families and providing a
> semi-decent future for their kids. Are we as a
> country that f**** up?

No. There crime was entering the United States illegally. There crime was using false documentation. We are a Nation of laws.

How many hard working citizens will have to deal with the IRS because one of these criminals used their name and social security number to gain employment?

How many hard working citizens will have to deal with the credit bureaus because of one of these criminals used their social to obtain housing or credit cards?

I have no issue at all with anyone coming to the US to improve their life as long as tbey do it legally. If that is to much to ask, then go F-CK YOURSELF!

Posted by: StupidLibs ()
Date: June 13, 2013 08:27PM

Yeah I know. Should be "Their"...stupid auto-fill on tablet

Date: June 13, 2013 08:56PM

Finally a Government Agency that's actually doing something productive!
Know for those savages send all back!

Posted by: Cave style Philly ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:24PM

The ones that steal identity of a legal citizen should be sent to swim with the sharks.

> Finally a Government Agency that's actually doing
> something productive!
> Know for those savages send all back!

Posted by: Helper ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:39PM

You guys do realize this shit went down 5 years ago, right?

Posted by: pyhw9 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 10:21PM

Helper Wrote:
> You guys do realize this shit went down 5 years
> ago, right?

Shhhh... They're on a roll.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:13AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> justlooktheotherway Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Yea!, right... Lansdowne was just an innocent
> > victim in this case. They had "no-clue" that
> > their employees might be illegal. Ever hear of
> > the SSA eVerify program? The one that matches
> > employee SS # with the SSA database?
>
> From the eVerify site...
>
> Q : Can I verify the immigration status of a new
> hire that is not a U.S. citizen?
>
> No. E-Verify verifies a new hire's employment
> eligibility, not his or her immigration status.
>
> From the Social Security Administration
> Database...
>
>
> * Any employer that uses the failure of the
> information to match SSA records to take
> inappropriate adverse action against a worker may
> violate State or Federal law.
>
> * The information you receive from SSNVS does
> not make any statement regarding a worker's
> immigration status.
>
>
> As I said, there is now way for Landsdowne to
> legally verify if these folks are here illegally
> or if they are on a work visa or whatever. The way
> the laws are written, the onus is on the
> immigrants, not the employer.

If you are not a legal resident, you should not be permitted to work in this country. E-verify should know this.

Posted by: Oh Please ()
Date: June 16, 2013 08:32PM

Golf sucks, most golfers are snobbish, entitled pricks.

This kid:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.usa/browse_thread/thread/539af36bb2aaf85c

Thought being handicapped and playing golf would get him into Dartmouth. It didn't. Cry me a river, please.

The baseball bailout part of the article is interesting too. Another dumb sport.

Posted by: 434yg43 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 04:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.