HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Save those plastic bags!
Posted by: DELTY ()
Date: December 07, 2021 04:14AM

Fairfax County's five cent per plastic bag tax goes into effect January 1, 2022. Save those plastic bags you get at county grocery stores today and this month to use at self checkouts in 2022. And especially if you do not believe in charitably giving to environmental cleanup, in other words litter bugs, and reusable bags for low income. I have been saving these bags for two months now. So tan Harris Teeter bags to use in Giant, white Giant bags to use in Harris Teeter, and so on, so not have the appearance of shoplifting plastic bags, And have a steady supply fron nearly South Riding and likewise if you live near Prince William County not having bag taxes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Save those plastic bags!
Posted by: Always have ()
Date: December 07, 2021 05:02AM

I have always kept the bags and even taken entire packets off racks before. I'm sure others have or will try to start doing it as well.

I'm interested in seeing how they're going to lock down or whatever the bags to prevent such a thing. I suppose now it'll be larceny though.

Posted by: local libtard ()
Date: December 07, 2021 08:03AM

You people are fools for paying for groceries today. I need a heavy duty canvas bag to haul all my free goods out of the store. The store is not allowed to call the cops anyway. Finally we are getting the reparations.

https://wjla.com/news/local/safeway-customer-vents-on-nextdoor-about-shoplifters-departing-olney-store-without-penalty

Posted by: You're stupid ()
Date: December 07, 2021 10:11AM

Or you could just lie about your income like most people and get EBT and steal from the government and then sell your food stamps for cash like real criminals do

Posted by: Throw it out the car window ()
Date: December 07, 2021 01:16PM

I guess that 5 cents per bag will go to picking up all the bags I’m going to litter now. I want something for my money. I guess that I’ll be creating some new jobs. You are welcome.

Posted by: observer of the shit ()
Date: December 07, 2021 01:20PM

About 25 years ago DC did the same thing. The Anacostia river is completely beautiful now because of this program. There is no more litter anywhere to be found in the ghettos of DC as those nickels are used to clean up after the niggers that don't drop the bags on the ground any more. LMAO!!!!!

Posted by: bag dispensers ()
Date: December 07, 2021 02:08PM

How are they going to dispense bags at the self checkouts? This will require an entirely new infrastructure of bag dispensers and billing. It will definitely slow down the checkouts to buy a bag. then fill it up, or alternately pack all your groceries into bags you brought to the store. Aldi/Trader Joes are the winners in this. They use paper bags or just take a box.

Posted by: KECC4 ()
Date: December 07, 2021 02:25PM

Dee cee was the 1st. Montcommierry Cty. was 2nd. All the libtardaciously libtarded libtardian Nova counties & cities are behind dee Cee & Monkey Cty. Arlington's getting 1, too and maybe even Alex.

They don't sell the bags separately. The cashier adds it on your bill. If you do self checkout, it asks you how many bags then adds the nickel on your bill. In dee Cee & Monkey, they've found most people actually key in the right number of bags. They might have somebody stand over self checkout the 1st couple of months, but after that, you only see an occasional spot check. They seem to select mostly negroes & Mexis to check, maybe the occasional younger white guy.

In dee Cee & Monkey, about a week before the bag tax took effect , Giant & HT were giving away bags if you gave your tel. or showed your loyalty card. You had a limit of 1 a day & a total limit of 3.

Posted by: TheBagTruth ()
Date: December 07, 2021 02:49PM

The whole cotton and/or re-usable bags are a scam. Depending on what the reusable bags are made of, you would have to use the bag THOUSANDS of times to offset the carbon cost of just using the cheap plastic bags.

Look at this article:

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/04/30/plastic-paper-cotton-bags/

Paper bags are made from a renewable resource and are biodegradable. In the U.S., over 10 billion paper bags are consumed each year, requiring the felling of 14 million trees.

Once the trees are cut down, the logs are moved to a mill where they can wait up to three years until they dry out. Once ready, bark is stripped off and the wood is chipped into one-inch cubes that are subjected to high heat and pressure. They are then mixed with limestone and sulfurous acid until the combination becomes pulp. The pulp is washed with fresh water and bleach then pressed into paper, which is cut, printed, packaged and shipped. As a result of the heavy use of toxic chemicals in the process, paper is responsible for 70 times more air pollution and 50 times more water pollution than plastic bag production according to a Washington Post analysis, resulting in more toxicity to humans and the environment than HDPE bags.

Reusable bags:
The Danish and U.K. studies and several others found that cotton totes have the worst environmental impacts of all bags. Cotton requires land, huge quantities of water, and chemical fertilizers and pesticides to grow. The use and production of fertilizer contribute significantly to eutrophication. Harvesting, processing, and transporting cotton to market all require large amounts of energy; and since cotton totes are heavy and bulky, they cost more to ship. In addition, they are difficult to recycle since textile recycling in the U.S. is limited—only 15.2 percent of all textiles were recycled in 2017. As a result, a cotton bag needs to be used 7,100 times to equal the environmental profile of a plastic bag.

Posted by: jksdgdfgrewjhw ()
Date: December 07, 2021 02:56PM

TheBagTruth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The whole cotton and/or re-usable bags are a scam.
> Depending on what the reusable bags are made of,
> you would have to use the bag THOUSANDS of times
> to offset the carbon cost of just using the cheap
> plastic bags.

Grocery stores and the county just want more money. By the way, those cheap plastic bags are separated in the disposal process and recycled just like all other plastics. This whole bag tax is just one more nickle-and-dime tax rip-off designed by Liberals to take even more of your money.

Posted by: Troofer ()
Date: December 07, 2021 03:46PM

TheBagTruth Wrote:
> plastic bags.
>
> Look at this article:
>
> https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/04/30/plast
> ic-paper-cotton-bags/
>
>
> Paper bags are made from a renewable resource and
> are biodegradable. In the U.S., over 10 billion
> paper bags are consumed each year, requiring the
> felling of 14 million trees.
>
> Once the trees are cut down, the logs are moved to
> a mill where they can wait up to three years until
> they dry out. Once ready, bark is stripped off and
> the wood is chipped into one-inch cubes that are
> subjected to high heat and pressure. They are then
> mixed with limestone and sulfurous acid until the
> combination becomes pulp. The pulp is washed with
> fresh water and bleach then pressed into paper,
> which is cut, printed, packaged and shipped. As a
> result of the heavy use of toxic chemicals in the
> process, paper is responsible for 70 times more
> air pollution and 50 times more water pollution
> than plastic bag production according to a
> Washington Post analysis, resulting in more
> toxicity to humans and the environment than HDPE
> bags.
>
> Reusable bags:
> The Danish and U.K. studies and several others
> found that cotton totes have the worst
> environmental impacts of all bags. Cotton requires
> land, huge quantities of water, and chemical
> fertilizers and pesticides to grow. The use and
> production of fertilizer contribute significantly
> to eutrophication. Harvesting, processing, and
> transporting cotton to market all require large
> amounts of energy; and since cotton totes are
> heavy and bulky, they cost more to ship. In
> addition, they are difficult to recycle since
> textile recycling in the U.S. is limited—only
> 15.2 percent of all textiles were recycled in
> 2017. As a result, a cotton bag needs to be used
> 7,100 times to equal the environmental profile of
> a plastic bag.

Don't bother posting facts. The government depends on the fact that most people are too stupid and lazy to look shit up before making their choices. The average person is a complete retard and probably didn't read what you posted.

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” – Mark Twain - but actual quote from him is "How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again" - in any event, very true

Posted by: Malcolm Xtra Black ()
Date: December 07, 2021 03:49PM

None of this has anything to do with the environment. I could literally tell all my employees that I need them to give me a handjob, but if I start the memo with "In order to keep you safe..." then those handies take on another meaning altogether. Just like electric vehicles aren't doing shit to clean up the environment once you add everything up. It's just another tax on you poor people.

Posted by: XUGVT ()
Date: December 07, 2021 04:32PM

jksdgdfgrewjhw Wrote:
> TheBagTruth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > . This whole bag tax
> is just one more nickle-and-dime tax rip-off
> designed by Liberals to take even more of your
> money.

Why do you think Dee cee was 1st & Monkey Co. 2nd?

Posted by: 66XJY ()
Date: December 24, 2021 05:21AM

Just a reminder, this takes effect in eight days.

Save those plastic bags!
Posted by: Priority. ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:19AM

Reminder this crazy plastic bag tax takes effect in less than 48 hours in Fairfax County, as the ball drops in Time Square in NYC.

Posted by: Some local stores set up ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:36AM

bag dispensers Wrote:
> How are they going to dispense bags at the self
> checkouts? This will require an entirely new
> infrastructure of bag dispensers and billing. It
> will definitely slow down the checkouts to buy a
> bag. then fill it up, or alternately pack all your
> groceries into bags you brought to the store.
> Aldi/Trader Joes are the winners in this. They
> use paper bags or just take a box.

Seen at the Giant Food and Target self checkouts in western Fairfax this month, before you started scanning, the screens asked did you bring your own bags or how many plastic bags do you want to buy? Of course, I selected I brought my own bags, used the store's on the mini rack, knowing full well the local bag tax does not take effect until January 1. But visitors to the county can be tricked.

Posted by: systemsucksdick ()
Date: December 30, 2021 10:05AM

TheBagTruth Wrote:
> plastic bags.
>
> Look at this article:
>
> https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/04/30/plast
> ic-paper-cotton-bags/
>
>
> Paper bags are made from a renewable resource and
> are biodegradable. In the U.S., over 10 billion
> paper bags are consumed each year, requiring the
> felling of 14 million trees.
>
> Once the trees are cut down, the logs are moved to
> a mill where they can wait up to three years until
> they dry out. Once ready, bark is stripped off and
> the wood is chipped into one-inch cubes that are
> subjected to high heat and pressure. They are then
> mixed with limestone and sulfurous acid until the
> combination becomes pulp. The pulp is washed with
> fresh water and bleach then pressed into paper,
> which is cut, printed, packaged and shipped. As a
> result of the heavy use of toxic chemicals in the
> process, paper is responsible for 70 times more
> air pollution and 50 times more water pollution
> than plastic bag production according to a
> Washington Post analysis, resulting in more
> toxicity to humans and the environment than HDPE
> bags.
>
> Reusable bags:
> The Danish and U.K. studies and several others
> found that cotton totes have the worst
> environmental impacts of all bags. Cotton requires
> land, huge quantities of water, and chemical
> fertilizers and pesticides to grow. The use and
> production of fertilizer contribute significantly
> to eutrophication. Harvesting, processing, and
> transporting cotton to market all require large
> amounts of energy; and since cotton totes are
> heavy and bulky, they cost more to ship. In
> addition, they are difficult to recycle since
> textile recycling in the U.S. is limited—only
> 15.2 percent of all textiles were recycled in
> 2017. As a result, a cotton bag needs to be used
> 7,100 times to equal the environmental profile of
> a plastic bag.

Bag tax is just another libtard lie designed to take more of your money and slowly enslave you to the system.

Posted by: Jan 2 update ()
Date: January 02, 2022 03:50PM

Greenbriar Giant Fairfax - using tan Harris Teeter South Riding Loudoun plastic bafs at self checkout works (Giants are white). Good way to avoid paying the tax for causes not believe in. Also had a pickup order curbside minimize time in store with COVID, so expecting those paper bags at a future full service checkout visit. Lots of fun in that store today. Self checkout clerk being bag police. Picked up literally last one refrigerated orange juice. Perfect storm on shelves - ongoing supply chain COVID shortages, not as many truck deliveries to store New Years Day, and inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow. Thankfully got 85% of what was on list.

The self checkout clerk assis

Posted by: Jan 2 update ()
Date: January 02, 2022 04:02PM

(repost, smartphone posting errors above)
Greenbriar Giant Fairfax - using tan Harris Teeter South Riding Loudoun plastic bags at self checkout works (Giants are white). Good way to avoid paying the tax for causes not believe in. Also had a pickup order curbside to minimize time in store with COVID, so expecting those paper bags can use at a future full service checkout visit. Lots of fun in that store today. Self checkout clerk being bag police. Picked up literally last one refrigerated orange juice. Perfect storm on shelves - ongoing supply chain COVID shortages, not as many truck deliveries to store New Years Day, and inches of snow foretasted for tomorrow. Thankfully got 85% of what was on my list.

Posted by: baggie ()
Date: January 02, 2022 04:14PM

Just making another slush fund to give out their buddies. Nothing to do with the environment.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.