HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Into the Wild
Posted by: Colin ()
Date: May 23, 2007 09:59AM

Anybody happen to remember Christopher McCandless? My friend let me borrow this book, "Into the Wild." It's about this guy from Annandale that hikes up to Alaska to brave it out in the wilderness. True story too. He graduated from WT Woodson in '86.

The movie will be released this summer. Directed by Sean Penn and includes Vince Vaughn (??).

I just started the book but read some background info on McCandless. He seems admirable in one sense, and just plain nuts in another. Just wanted to see if anybody knew him personally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Into the Wild
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 23, 2007 11:08AM

He did the dirt nap.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: May 23, 2007 11:12AM

496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He did the dirt nap.

Subtle, very subtle.

Posted by: ..... ()
Date: May 23, 2007 12:02PM

I just read the story on wikipedia. Everyone should check it out. He is such an idiot! hahahah this will be a great movie!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 23, 2007 01:35PM

wikipedia is full of shit if it's not absolute fact.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: L2 ()
Date: May 26, 2007 02:03AM

Christopher McCandless was an idiot like Timothy Treadwell who was attacked by a grizzly.

Posted by: Troll ()
Date: July 23, 2007 05:06PM

I read the book a while back.

The guy was certainly NOT an idiot. In fact, after several setbacks and 4 months in the wilderness, he was still doing fine. If it hadn't been for some poisonous seeds he would have walked out of there. Too bad the botanists that wrote the book he was using as a guide said that the plant was edible.

When he died, he wrote "I have had a happy life and I thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all." In a photo taken just before he died, he was smiling. For all those who think he's just some dumb idiot, when you die at the end of your boring life of 9-5 jobs and TV dinners, will you be happy for doing SOMETHING extraordinary? Or will you be regretful for having just existed?

Posted by: ba dun ching.. ()
Date: July 23, 2007 05:56PM

troll, if you'd gotten to the end of the book you would've read the accounts from locals who see plenty of people traipse into the wilderness woefully unprepared like ol' alexander supertramp did.

he died a mile away from a major trail, because he didn't think about the frozen river he crossed in winter melting into a raging river in spring.

if he doesn't get up from his dirt nap soon, he'll be late for his job pushing up daises.

Posted by: dale boulevard ()
Date: July 23, 2007 06:25PM

i saw something this guy did for a local station a few years back, he seemed like a real sphincter

Date: January 31, 2021 02:37PM

Watched this movie a few weeks ago... It is well worth watching. I did not know that Christopher graduated from Woodson HS until seeing this post. Rest In Peace Christopher.

Posted by: Thru hiker ()
Date: January 31, 2021 02:43PM

closetsteelersfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watched this movie a few weeks ago... It is well
> worth watching. I did not know that Christopher
> graduated from Woodson HS until seeing this post.
> Rest In Peace Christopher.

They recently used a military helicopter to lift the bus out of there and moved it somewhere else. They got sick of having to rescue people trying to make a pilgrimage to the bus and getting trapped by the river. Bullshit if you ask me.

1308405841-Watch-Into-the-Wild-Bus-Remov

Posted by: The Guys Who Bought It ()
Date: January 31, 2021 05:32PM

Had a pit dug by a dozer to let it down in, the Guard wondered why the dudes needed major electric in it when they said they were going to do them a favor getting rid of it , ones name was Cheech the other Chong

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.