HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Arlington election officials favor acceptance of expired photo-IDs at polls
Posted by: NoVA Politics! ()
Date: July 17, 2014 07:42AM

Arlington election officials favor acceptance of expired photo-IDs at polls
http://www.insidenova.com/news/arlington/arlington-election-officials-favor-acceptance-of-expired-photo-ids-at/article_556e3c44-0ce7-11e4-bf41-0019bb2963f4.html

Arlington election officials want the State Board of Elections to permit voters to use expired photo-IDs, such as passports and driver’s licenses, if they do not have current IDs when they come to the polls in November.

“Does a photo ID past its expiration date mean it’s invalid as ID for voting? We think not,” the county elections office said on its Twitter feed (@arlingtonvotes) July 14.

Arlington election officials are among those statewide who have weighed in on the issue. Election officials from several jurisdictions say using out-of-date identification will not cause a problem.

“The photo IDs are intended to prove identity, and even an expired driver’s license or passport still serves to prove identity, even if the document cannot be used to drive or travel,” said April Cain, vice chairman of the Henrico County Electoral Board, during a public-comment period on the issue.

But not everyone was in agreement.

“Expired driver’s licenses or passports should not be acceptable forms of ID for voting or registration,” said Maureen Williams-Wolfe, one of those who provided public input to state election officials.

“Too many people move out of state and keep their previous state licenses,” Williams-Wolfe said. “Crossing back and voting in Virginia from West Virginia, North Carolina, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Tennessee or Kentucky is not unheard of while also voting in their new state.”

The General Assembly in 2013 passed legislation requiring voters to show photo identification while casting ballots, but left implementation details up to election officials. The State Board of Elections is taking public comment through Aug. 4, prior to issuing final guidelines.

(For information on what forms of identification are acceptable for voting purposes, see the Web site at http://vote.arlingtonva.us/.)

One proposal being considered by state officials is to allow voters to use IDs that have been expired for up to 30 days, but Arlington election officials don’t like that compromise.

The date of expiration date “shouldn’t matter for ID purposes,” the elections office tweeted.

Those without valid photo identification can come to the Arlington elections office during regular business hours to obtain an ID that will be accepted on Election Day.

The new photo-ID rules do not apply to the Aug. 19 special election in the 48th House District, since that election was called one day prior to the new rule’s taking effect on July 1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arlington election officials favor acceptance of expired photo-IDs at polls
Posted by: Pretty Simple ()
Date: July 17, 2014 07:51AM

Arlington County politicians want unqualified voters to vote because they think they will get most of these votes. It is reprehensible.

Posted by: Looks Like Jose ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:04AM

I'll hang on to my expired VA driver’s license. Could get $50, maybe $100 from the well-funded NoVa Democrats.

Posted by: PedrosPrintShop ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:23AM

I get it. Issued when we didn't have to have a birth certificate to obtain a license.

Posted by: B4 ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:26AM

PedrosPrintShop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get it. Issued when we didn't have to have a
> birth certificate to obtain a license.

BINGO!!! We have a winner.

Posted by: What's next? ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:30AM

“Does a photo ID past its expiration date mean it’s invalid as ID for voting? We think not,”

Really? Because the TSA seems to think so when I try to get on a plane. And my local bar seems to think so when they're checking to make sure I'm of drinking age.

Just pathetic Arlington. Just pathetic.

Posted by: expired ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:31AM

Will Arlington County take my expired credit card when I try to pay a bill there?

Posted by: Trolley Fever ()
Date: July 17, 2014 11:35AM

Looks like Arlington County Democrats think that unqualified, illegal voters will support their trolley folly. They are clearly desperate after the recent election.

Posted by: SIP ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:14PM

Pretty Simple Wrote:
> Arlington County politicians want unqualified
> voters to vote because they think they will get
> most of these votes. It is reprehensible.

Voter ID laws are a lot of heat with no fire trying to address a problem which doesn't exist. While I am not excusing any degree of voter fraud, the reality is that there is no documented proof that this exists on any significant scale.

On the other hand, this does disenfranchise many voters. For example, my 79 year old mother-in-law does not have a valid license and cannot obtain a state-issued ID for reasons too complicated to explain, but she is probably better informed than most of the people on FFXU and votes in every election from dog catcher to President.

I would rather allow a handful of inappropriate votes get through rather than preventing dozens or 100s from exercising their right.

Posted by: Bullshit detector ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:15PM

I call bullshit. There are no reasons that she cannot obtain a state-issued ID.

Posted by: ColumbiaPikeCommando ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:18PM

Bullshit detector hits the nail on the head. I can smell it through my monitor.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:24PM

B4 Wrote:
> PedrosPrintShop Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I get it. Issued when we didn't have to have a
> > birth certificate to obtain a license.
>
>
> BINGO!!! We have a winner.

My valid and current drivers license was issued based on prior licenses I had when the document requirements for obtaining a license were much less. If the concern is that the expired IDs were issued based on inadequately substantiated documentation, then ALL OF US WHO HAVE HAD DRIVER'S LICENSES SINCE JULY OF 2002 should be required to reapply for licenses and meet the new higher qualifications.

With the list of approved forms of identification, including an ID issued by the local election office to registered voters, it won't be hard for anyone registered to vote to meet the ID requirements. The people most likely to be caught with an expired ID won't be those who are not registered. It will be those who had renewal dates shortly before the election that forgot to renew it in time.

Posted by: crappy relatives ()
Date: July 17, 2014 12:43PM

SIP Wrote:
> Pretty Simple Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Arlington County politicians want unqualified
> > voters to vote because they think they will get
> > most of these votes. It is reprehensible.
>
>
> Voter ID laws are a lot of heat with no fire
> trying to address a problem which doesn't exist.
> While I am not excusing any degree of voter fraud,
> the reality is that there is no documented proof
> that this exists on any significant scale.
>
> On the other hand, this does disenfranchise many
> voters. For example, my 79 year old mother-in-law
> does not have a valid license and cannot obtain a
> state-issued ID for reasons too complicated to
> explain, but she is probably better informed than
> most of the people on FFXU and votes in every
> election from dog catcher to President.
>
> I would rather allow a handful of inappropriate
> votes get through rather than preventing dozens or
> 100s from exercising their right.

What kind of piece of shit son in law are you that you can't get your mother in law a photo id? It isn't that difficult.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: July 17, 2014 10:06PM

The point of the photo ID law isn't that you've got an unexpired ID. The point is that the photo on it allows the person who is checking you in to verify that you are who you say you are.

Whether a license is expired or not has no impact on that determination. And many of the Photo IDs that are acceptable at the polls, including the ones we are going to be issuing to voters for free who don't have IDs don't include an expiration date.

By excluding IDs that are expired, the number of folks who will need free IDs goes up significantly, which is going to cost taxpayers even more, for almost no real benefit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.