HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
[Ticket for blocked VIN number?] !!!
Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: March 06, 2007 12:06AM

can you get a parking ticket if your VIN number is blocked from view on your car?

edit by Cary: Fixed ugly subject

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2007 04:05PM by Cary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: !!!
Posted by: hmm ()
Date: March 06, 2007 07:48AM

never heard of that one

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 06, 2007 07:56AM

j

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 04:32AM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Former HOA President ()
Date: March 06, 2007 12:26PM

While I am sure that is probably illegal, I can tell you that cops do not go around looking for hidden VIN numbers. While looking at a possible stolen carm the cops would logically see if the plates match the vehicle they are supposed to first and then look for a VIN number.

Remember, your registration has the VIN Number on it and cops ask for the registration when you get pulled over. If you are driving a Toyota Camry and the registration and plates are for a Volve Station Wagon, the cops may take a second look.

Needless to say, it is illegal to alter or remove the VIN number from the windshield and if the cops have reason to believe you are hiding something they can get qet a warrant, open the vehicle and remove the piece of paper on your dashboard covering the VIN.

Also, the VIN is located in other places in your car, one of which is inside the door. You do not want the cops to tow the vehicle to an impound lot and then take it apart looking for VINs.

While I cant imagine hiding the VIN on its own will give you a ticket, if you do get a ticket for it it would be in addition to other charges. If you got nothing to hide, don't hide the VIN.

Posted by: vin hider ()
Date: March 06, 2007 02:51PM

when i used to drive a highly modified integra which was a serious target to theives, i hid the vin#. I had just spray painted a piece of plexiglass black and slid it between the windshield and dash where the vin# was. I did have a cop at 7-11 harassing me about other things on my car (it was too low, no front plate, illegal exhaust, etc.) and he noticed my vin was obstructed and told me he could give me a ticket for that. so yes, i believe they can ticket you for it.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 06, 2007 02:55PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what good does hiding the VIN number of a car you own do?

Posted by: slinkeyts ()
Date: March 06, 2007 04:03PM

anyone can take your VIN number.
than go to a car dealer...and get a key made for your car.
the person pays the dealer gets the key.
gos to your car.
then jacks it

Re: [Ticket for blocked VIN number?] !!!
Posted by: snafu ()
Date: March 06, 2007 05:37PM

I have heard they read the vin number then go make a copy of it. They place that vin on a car just like yours that they have stolen.

Cops stop that car and the vin matches up to same type car and isn't listed as stolen since you still have your car. If it is expensive enough it is shipped overseas mostly to the middle east. Only thing stopping them is customs and since the vin appears good it goes right through.

My advice is cover it up. If you get a ticket tell them why you covered it in the first place.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 06, 2007 07:24PM

Interesting, I don't see anything in the Virginia code about covering a VIN number. The code does say that you cannot alter or mispresent a VIN number on any document or vehicle. Maybe what Cop was referring to is an attempt alter a VIN number.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 06, 2007 08:32PM

Lurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting, I don't see anything in the Virginia
> code about covering a VIN number. The code does
> say that you cannot alter or mispresent a VIN
> number on any document or vehicle. Maybe what Cop
> was referring to is an attempt alter a VIN number.

Goodto see the VA quoted vs. a guess or a hunch - Folks should refer to the VA Code whenever there is any doubt - Is it even taught in our schools anymore?

Date: March 06, 2007 08:54PM

Well, find the code and quote it then.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 06, 2007 09:26PM

snafu Wrote:
> I have heard they read the vin number then go make
> a copy of it. They place that vin on a car just
> like yours that they have stolen.
>
> Cops stop that car and the vin matches up to same
> type car and isn't listed as stolen since you
> still have your car. If it is expensive enough it
> is shipped overseas mostly to the middle east.
> Only thing stopping them is customs and since the
> vin appears good it goes right through.
>
> My advice is cover it up. If you get a ticket tell
> them why you covered it in the first place.

First of all, showing up at a dealer with a VIN number and asking for a key - I hope dealers are a little skeptical. Second, vehicles being shipped overseas are supposed to have VIN numbers checked in multiple locations on the vehicle. And lastly altering a VIN number is fairly obvious to even the people who don't look at them for a living.

Paranoia, that's all this is.

It is much more difficult than you have heard.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 06, 2007 09:37PM

Date: March 06, 2007 09:53PM

Thanks for the link...

"The number shall be stamped, cut, embossed, or attached in such a manner that it cannot be changed, altered, or removed without plainly showing evidence which would be readily detectable or which would destroy the attached plate"

The above seems to say it is fine because you can readily remove the material covering the number.

However this one seems to say it is a major no-no.

"Any person who, individually or in association with one or more others, knowingly removes, changes, alters, or conceals any motor number, serial, or other identification number, decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or motor vehicle part as required by federal law without the consent of the Department, shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony."

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: March 06, 2007 09:54PM

Any person who, individually or in association with one or more others, knowingly removes, changes, alters, or conceals any motor number, serial, or other identification number, decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or motor vehicle part as required by federal law without the consent of the Department, shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Cool, I like that!!!!!!

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: March 06, 2007 10:15PM

22-6-1. Felony classes and penalties--Restitution--Habitual criminal sentences. Except as otherwise provided by law, felonies are divided into the following nine classes which are distinguished from each other by the following maximum penalties which are authorized upon conviction:

(1) Class A felony: death or life imprisonment in the state penitentiary. A lesser sentence than death or life imprisonment may not be given for a Class A felony. In addition, a fine of fifty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(2) Class B felony: life imprisonment in the state penitentiary. A lesser sentence may not be given for a Class B felony. In addition, a fine of fifty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(3) Class C felony: life imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of fifty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(4) Class 1 felony: fifty years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of fifty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(5) Class 2 felony: twenty-five years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of fifty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(6) Class 3 felony: fifteen years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of thirty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(7) Class 4 felony: ten years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of twenty thousand dollars may be imposed;

(8) Class 5 felony: five years imprisonment in the state penitentiary. In addition, a fine of ten thousand dollars may be imposed; and

(9) Class 6 felony: two years imprisonment in the state penitentiary or a fine of four thousand dollars, or both.

Posted by: snafu ()
Date: March 06, 2007 10:23PM

Customs doesnt have the time or manpower to check every single car leaving the country. The other areas of the vin are simply stick on and easily duplicated. Some vehicles have multiple vins on the car some have only one in place and no stick on decals.

A ship that sits in a harbor is burning money bigtime. The owners arent going to let that happen. They pressure the government to keep them moving. In that business time is def money.

Don't believe me, go to the Port of Baltimore someday and watch the amount of freight going in and out. Baltimore is not even the biggest of the ports moving cargo.

Others simply drive them across the border into Mexico. Think the border guards have the time to check every cars vin that passes into Mexico.

Date: March 07, 2007 02:09AM

The car-jacking via VIN number is half true, half urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

Posted by: dumbass ()
Date: March 07, 2007 04:39PM

FORMER HOA PRESIDENT -

If the car is believed stolen, or if there is any other reason to believe that the concealed VIN constitutes evidence, the cops can enter the vehicle to search it under the Carroll Doctrine WITHOUT a warrant.

With it being common knowledge that obscured or concealed VIN plates are indicators of theft or alteration, I would say that covering/obscuring the VIN opens you up to a search if seen by the fuzz.

Posted by: Former HOA President ()
Date: March 07, 2007 06:50PM

dumbass Wrote:
> FORMER HOA PRESIDENT -
>
> If the car is believed stolen, or if there is any
> other reason to believe that the concealed VIN
> constitutes evidence, the cops can enter the
> vehicle to search it under the Carroll Doctrine
> WITHOUT a warrant.
>
> With it being common knowledge that obscured or
> concealed VIN plates are indicators of theft or
> alteration, I would say that covering/obscuring
> the VIN opens you up to a search if seen by the
> fuzz.

you missed my point. Simply placing a paper parking permit or some other piece of paper on your dash blocking the VIN is not enough for the cops make a reasonable assumption that the vehicle is stolen. An officer out on his Sunday stroll passing by a vehicle with a blocked vin is by itself, not enough to constitute a search. It may prompt him to run the plates or visually inspect the car etc looking for something more.

You said "any other reason"... My point exactly.

Just to be clear, many newer vehicles have VINs etched in the glass and dealers are offering this as an option for those that don't.

Posted by: dumbass ()
Date: March 09, 2007 04:03PM

We basically said the same thing.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: March 12, 2007 02:03PM

Radiophile Wrote:

> First of all, showing up at a dealer with a VIN
> number and asking for a key - I hope dealers are a
> little skeptical. Second, vehicles being shipped
> overseas are supposed to have VIN numbers checked
> in multiple locations on the vehicle. And lastly
> altering a VIN number is fairly obvious to even
> the people who don't look at them for a living.

Most cars made in the last 10 years have the VIN encoded into the computer and you can see it with the proper tool. I have the OBDscan APEX tool which plugs into a USB port on a Windows PC that will show me the VIN number in the computer, and a whole lot more too. This device cost me all of $130, too.

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: September 09, 2020 06:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.