HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Urban Archeologist: 100 years ago a movie was 15 Cents!!
Posted by: The Urban Archeologist ()
Date: July 03, 2014 08:59AM

The Urban Archeologist: 100 years ago a movie was 15 Cents!!
What movie will you see this weekend?
http://fallschurch.patch.com/groups/the-urban-archeologist/p/the-urban-archeologist100-years-ago-a-movie-was-15-cents_2ca5b34213684334215

In 1914, 15 cents was a lot of money. I remember my father telling me what he got for 15 cents at a movie theater as a boy, and the list of perks went on for a while. Those were the days.

Today, for not much more you can find memories of those movies at a local estate sale or antique shop. It's worth the trip, because if you hit it right you can also find a piece of local history.

The movie flyer for "Officer 666" from 1914 is a real gem, it offers four pages, including pictures and the entire story (spoiler alert!) on the back. The front claims the movie is in 5 parts, which could mean it is a serial, or maybe 5 reels long.

when a piece of ephemera lists the location, that in this case no longer exists, it becomes evidence. It is now a piece to research and share with the local historical society in the hopes that I can find out more about it.

Along with these movie fliers were also some playbills from 1928.
Attachments:
d1272bd74929254db67f1015b0340af4.png
5ebb26d69e2f9a2fc62daaeb1b0b53ee.png
d4311a64f6a1924f1862952ea020911a.png

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.