HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Help with bad practices at work (retail job edition)
Posted by: gottaq4u ()
Date: October 24, 2019 10:43AM

Ok, so I just took a "holiday" job for a major retailer you all probably shop at. I have a 9-5 but wanted extra cash for xmas and such (reminder its only 8 weeks away!!)

Said retailer's training process is to watch videos, then do quizzes at the end. This is important stuff- dealing with how to deal with chemical spills, medical emergencies, and the like. Also store processes pertaining to their particular department in health and safety. OSHA stuff about ladders and such as well. Also- cashier training. You need to be able to read the screens to know the next step to take to process a refund, etc. A manager needs to sign off that EVERY PERSON IN THE STORE who works there took said training.

I have noticed said managers in said job "allegedly" (since we are not supposed to have camera phones out while doing computer work so i cannot record them to get proof so i will use this term so I don't get sued) helping new staff that does not speak/read clear english and spanish (the two languages the learning program is in- and most of the employees obviously speak neither language) complete the quizzes, only requiring the employee to watch the video.

So what I am saying is "allegedly" said manager(s) are helping non-english or very bad english speaking employees get pas the on-boarding process by literally taking the tests for the employee so they can get them out onto the floor faster. Employee is in the seat while manager tells the employee "the answer to that question is "C" to get them thru the test faster if they don't know. I had to take the tests straight on and passed fine. Any person who speaks basic english and has common sense should be able to pass- but these people failed 2-3x and the manager sits in on the 4th try to make SURE they pass by GIVING THEM THE ANSWERS. The average person takes 2-3 days to get thru the computer modules then can go on the floor. These persons have been working at the computer programs from before i got there from what i overheard...but they are still employed even though they wash out on basic tests???

What can I do about this? I can also say "allegedly" higher management and HR knows about this but turns their heads because they don't want to have to go thru the hiring process again because not many people want to work for the low salary they are paying. Not like too many "Chad and Stacies" are applying it's more "Mohammad and Maria" who do not speak good english and some admit they had help on the online assements to even get the job "strongly agree/disagree" type questions.

Not to mention it would quickly be known it was me who blabbed- as the only person in the room who is not of their race(s). They do not know i speak a good amount of 2 other languages which was being used by the managers to help said employees so even when they switched languages i could understand the jist of what was being said. I am happy to speak with anyone, but when i say hello and try to strike up a simple conversation about the weather, they quickly go "no english sorry"...and i simply smile and walk away ok sorry for bothering you....but am confused because this person got hired as customer service--- how will they help the customers if they can't get past hello- much less understand what the customer needs??

What should I do about this?? The moment i report it i know they will fire me quickly and might even try to sue but I swear to you all on the Underground this is TRUE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with bad practices at work (retail job edition)
Posted by: Answerer of OP questions ()
Date: October 24, 2019 11:15AM

The mid mgt's doing this b\c sen. mgt. told them to. They don't care what the employees know or if they can do anything. They just want them out there fast. So no, it won't do any good. Just get yourself put on trash detail & don't worry about it. You'll get the same pay as those other people and you can screw off or pretend to be busy all the time.

It's been going on for years. Don't waste your time telling anybody. Mgt. at all levels is already aware of this.

I had the same thing when I was in HS and fresh out of coll. at entry level reg, job. I needed a 2nd job here & there, so I got the same kind you got. I could tell right away that the jun. mgrs were just doing what their bosses told them to. I just asked to get put on mop and trash detail & they gladly put me there. All I did was mop the floor, take out trash bags and sweep. That took about 3 hrs of an 8 hr. day or 2 out of a 5 hr. day. The rest of the time, I just kept a mop & bucket or broom and dust pan handy. If somebody came around, I just started mopping or pushing a broom I also kept full trash bags stashed in places around the store. If somebody came around, I just grabbed the trash bag and headed for the dumpster with it. If I got caught away from everything, I just headed for my nearest trash bag stash. If somebody asked, I just told them I was about to take out the trash bag when suddenly I had to take a majorly bigly serious crap & was just coming from the BR and was now going to get that trash bag & take it out. Worked every time.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.