HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Neighbors, Pools, Trees & the Whole 9 Yards
Posted by: homeownerfc ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:05PM

Our adjacent neighbors are neither friendly nor neighborly. Our property -- including trees and shrubs -- long predates the subdivision they live in. In typical Fairfax fashion, the developer maxed the size of the homes on the lots, cut down most of the existing trees, and pushed lot development right up to the property line, automatically creating tree/shrub overhang issues. Our neighbors then put in a pool right up to the property line. For YEARS, the pool has been a problem. On multiple occasions they have partly or fully drained it onto our property. They never take responsibility and never apologize. Following the most recent flooding issue, a workman on their property told us that there was a broken drainage pipe that was the cause of the problem. The neighbor denied it and suggested that we take care of the problem by building a swale to carry water away from our yard. We have already spent many thousands of dollars attempting to deal with their drainage and are disinclined to do more. After the latest flood, our neghbors appear to have installed a french drain that channels under their side fence and terminates above ground in "neutral" ground abutting the subdivision dry pond. This appears to us to simply move their water out of their back yard and dump it next to us, where it will eventually drain back into our yard. We doubt they had a permit to do this, and are now in the process of filing a formal complaint with the County.

While denying responsibility for their repeated flooding of our yard, our charming neighbors are very quick to "ask" (demand) that we take care of maintaining our trees and shrubs that border their property. We are diligent in doing so and have just spent thousands taking care of our trees, including several that overhang their property. One issue for them has been poison ivy growing up several pine trees that abut their swimming pool, about which they have contacted us at least a half-dozen times in the past 2 months. In fact, the company we hired to prune our trees did -- at our request and expense -- remove poison ivy from the pines, but apparently not to our neighbors' satisfaction, as they have already called again to complain that nothing was done and they are unable to enjoy their pool because alleged debris falls into it. We've bent over backwards to address their concerns, even allowing them to completely remove several vertical feet of branches from the pine trees to minimize the problem. All to no avail.

How does one deal with neighbors like this? As noted, we are -- in our view of course -- quite responsive to their concerns about branch overhang and proper tree and shrub maintenance, while they blow us off about their repeated pool drainage and flooding of our yard. It's no small irony that every time they flood our yard they are undoubtedly damaging our trees and shrubs, contributing to the problem they complain about.

While we absolutely recognize our responsibility to maintain our trees and shrubs and have done so within the limits of time and budget, we're fed up with them, particularly in the imperious way in which they make their demands while refusing to take care of their pool drainage.

Has anyone out there dealt with similar neighbor issues? We'd be grateful for suggestions . . .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Neighbors, Pools, Trees & the Whole 9 Yards
Posted by: Noyoudint ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:26PM

Really?

I have a neighbor with a pool. He screwed with me and I told him the next time he does, I'll fucking kill him. Problem solved.
Attachments:
snoring.jpg

Posted by: Compliance ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:42PM

Call the county if you can't deal with them directly. They'll come out and assess the situation as far as the drainage matter. I'm not sure where you are 'in the process' as you mention, but that's one of the first steps.

In general, you can't do things like put in drains that alter natural flow and cause trouble for a down-stream property. That would include something as you describe that may stop on their side but affects your side. If there are violations, then they'll cite them. If not, then you'll have to deal with the drainage issue somehow on your side some other way. Having the county say that there's no violation doesn't necessarily eliminate any other actions on your part but it's a whole lot cheaper than lawyers, etc., to start.

Posted by: Been There, Done That ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:48PM

Oh yes, I think we've all had to deal with neighbors like this. You have been way too accommodating - which means that they have now come to expect that you will give in to their every demand.

First, I would look into whether that pool and drain were constructed with permits and in accordance with local code. If not, call the county.

Second, your responsibility for your trees ends at the property line. If the trees overhang their pool and it bothers them, they can trim them if they want to (as long as they don't damage the trees). THIS IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. I've been on the receiving end of fallen limbs and debris and I didn't like it, but that's the law. It's one thing to be neighborly and try to accommodate the people you share space with - but you are being taken advantage of.

An anecdote...we had a huge tree on our property fall on a neighbor's property. Although we were not required to legally, we offered to pay half of the cost of removal. The neighbor then stiffed us once the tree was removed. Lesson learned.

Another anecdote...I came home early from work one day and found a pool service draining our neighbor's pool onto our property. Turned out the neighbor told them to do this, and they'd been doing it for years. That practice ended that year.

I've owned a number of properties over the years and had to deal with at least one PITA neighbor in all of them. I've learned to get tough with these people - or they'll walk all over you. The law is your friend - use it. And someone in your household is going to have to grow a spine. There are times when you have to confront a neighbor directly (in a calm and rational manner). Or the resentment will eat you alive. Good luck.

Posted by: Cgycghhgf ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:50PM

Move. Problem solved.

Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: June 06, 2014 02:03PM

Piss in their pool at night.

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: June 06, 2014 02:10PM

Been There, Done That Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An anecdote...we had a huge tree on our property
> fall on a neighbor's property. Although we were
> not required to legally, we offered to pay half of
> the cost of removal. The neighbor then stiffed us
> once the tree was removed. Lesson learned.

What should have happened: You should have called your homeowner's insurance company and reported the event. They would have asked that you go out and take pictures of the fallen tree and any resulting damage from various angles. The tree service company should then have prepared two bills, one for the work in your yard and one for the work in your neighbor's yard. Each of you should then have sent those bills to your homeowners insurance companies. End of story.

Posted by: Woody Peckerwood ()
Date: June 06, 2014 02:15PM

Actually... Wrote:
> Been There, Done That Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > An anecdote...we had a huge tree on our
> property
> > fall on a neighbor's property. Although we were
> > not required to legally, we offered to pay half
> of
> > the cost of removal. The neighbor then stiffed
> us
> > once the tree was removed. Lesson learned.
>
> What should have happened: You should have called
> your homeowner's insurance company and reported
> the event. They would have asked that you go out
> and take pictures of the fallen tree and any
> resulting damage from various angles. The tree
> service company should then have prepared two
> bills, one for the work in your yard and one for
> the work in your neighbor's yard. Each of you
> should then have sent those bills to your
> homeowners insurance companies. End of story.

Most homeowner's insurance doesn't cover trees unless they damage the house or some other structure.

Posted by: Been There, Done That ()
Date: June 06, 2014 02:26PM

^ Yup. That's what we found out.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:25PM

Mine provides some protection for trees, but it is limited.

Posted by: Can't Believe It ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:30PM

No troll posts yet? Don't know whether to be disappointed or happy about that.

Posted by: oblig ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:55PM

Your neighbor has been hiring illegal aliens and drowning them in his pool at the conclusion of the job...

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:56PM

> Most homeowner's insurance doesn't cover trees
> unless they damage the house or some other
> structure.

A homeowner should know what his or her homeowner's policy covers in advance. If the lot includes actual trees and tree removal is not adequately covered, a rider should be added to provide such coverage. Quite cheap up front. Otherwise, the homeowner should understand that he or she is self-insuring for such risks. Plainly, after the fact is not the right time to be learning about this.

Meanwhile, even under standard policies almost any man-made object will count as a structure. A fence, a shed, a trellis, a pergola. This being a world of upscale suburbia, the chances of a significant tree falling and not hitting such a thing are slim. Standard policies also cover removal costs if a driveway or handicapped access is blocked.

Posted by: Law Man ()
Date: June 06, 2014 03:59PM

oblig Wrote:
> Your neighbor has been hiring illegal aliens and
> drowning them in his pool at the conclusion of the
> job...

This has already been noted by law enforcement thanks to a helicopter circling over Centreville.

Posted by: cDMde ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:10PM

Confrontation is not always the answer but it sounds like you've been extremely soft in dealing with this. It must leave you wondering how the situation would be now if you had a bit more of a backbone in previous interactions. You're free to do as you wish but I would have been very stern and met their attitude with my own. You've let them trample you in the past, why would they assume the future will be any different?

Posted by: Insomniac ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:10PM

Law Man Wrote:
> This has already been noted by law enforcement
> thanks to a helicopter circling over Centreville.

I heard that helicopters are being replaced by drones. Maybe that will reduce the noise levels and I can finally get some sleep!

Posted by: MbbMH ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:11PM

Wait, so you've shelled out thousands of dollars to appease your dickhead neighbors?

Posted by: LTX9v ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:17PM

cDMde Wrote:
> It must leave you wondering how the situation would
> be now if you had a bit more of a backbone in previous
> interactions.

Backbones are what some people automatically turn to as brain-substitutes. Tough guys tend to have the air let out of their tires a lot. Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: DMDXJ ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:19PM

This isn't a tough guy, threaten to break your legs scenario.

It's a not being a bitch, I'm not going to shell out money just because you think I should scenario. I specifically said confrontation is not the solution. But clearly this neighbor is taking advantage of someone who's clearly uncomfortable standing up for themselves and for what is right.

Posted by: SteveL ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:26PM

LTX9v Wrote:
> cDMde Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It must leave you wondering how the situation
> would
> > be now if you had a bit more of a backbone in
> previous
> > interactions.
>
> Backbones are what some people automatically turn
> to as brain-substitutes. Tough guys tend to have
> the air let out of their tires a lot. Be careful
> what you wish for.

a backbone is EXACTLY what this guy needs. Just because you're an adult doesn't mean you can't let someone know that there's a level of respect expected.

Posted by: Whatever... ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:26PM

Truth, justice, and the American way over there, man of steel? Check the county records. They are public. Spot a potential problem? Get a free consult with an attorney. Otherwise, work things out or don't, then move or don't.

Posted by: LcNvx ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:27PM

homeownerfc Wrote:
> While denying responsibility for their repeated
> flooding of our yard, our charming neighbors are
> very quick to "ask" (demand) that we take care of
> maintaining our trees and shrubs that border their
> property.

...and that's your fault. Why would you just bend over and take it in the ass like that?

Posted by: ok? ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:30PM

Handle it the way that it would have been handled 100 years ago, before everything went so PC. Fuck that dude's pool UP!

Posted by: supporter ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:34PM

homeownerfc Wrote:
> Our adjacent neighbors are neither friendly nor
> neighborly. Our property -- including trees and
> shrubs -- long predates the subdivision they live
> in. In typical Fairfax fashion, the developer
> maxed the size of the homes on the lots, cut down
> most of the existing trees, and pushed lot.....
Call the county. We had the same problem with pool drainage. You are not obligated to trim trees or p.o.

Posted by: .... ()
Date: June 06, 2014 04:38PM

Get a jew lawyer and sue.

Duh.

Posted by: Pool Problems ()
Date: June 06, 2014 06:45PM

Stop being a victim and do something about it. Jesus you're a walking, talking, slobbering vagina...Blah, Blah, Blah.
Attachments:
45153061.jpg

Posted by: homeownerfc ()
Date: June 06, 2014 07:24PM

Compliance Wrote:
> Call the county if you can't deal with them
> directly. They'll come out and assess the
> situation as far as the drainage matter. I'm not
> sure where you are 'in the process' as you
> mention, but that's one of the first steps.
>
> In general, you can't do things like put in drains
> that alter natural flow and cause trouble for a
> down-stream property. That would include
> something as you describe that may stop on their
> side but affects your side. If there are
> violations, then they'll cite them. If not, then
> you'll have to deal with the drainage issue
> somehow on your side some other way. Having the
> county say that there's no violation doesn't
> necessarily eliminate any other actions on your
> part but it's a whole lot cheaper than lawyers,
> etc., to start.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

As to the trolls, of which there are waaaay too many, homeowners do in fact have responsibilities for taking care of overhanging trees, which we have. Being a decent neighbor does not mean we're spineless.

Threatening to kill someone? Yeah, right. I'm suuuuuure that happened.

Posted by: CK64x ()
Date: June 06, 2014 09:50PM

Your responsibility with regard to trees ends at the property line. If the branches overhang their property they are entitled to cut them back (to the property line).

If the poison-ivy is (attached to the trunks on your property) is shedding debris into their pool -- call the local church. You have a miracle on your hands. Even then, if they don't like it, the answer to them is the same as their build a swale answer to you -- build a fence.

Posted by: monekywrench ()
Date: July 07, 2014 06:51PM

Your greivance sounds plausible but how many of your trees are troubling other neighbors. Do your trees cause material damage to their property. Are you in a storm water area to start with.

You cannot go relying on some temporary worker who hardly speaks English as a witness to what you perceive the cause of the problem.

How old is the house you live in, did you change the grading of the land that separates you from your neighbors.

Could the grading of your property be the cause the problem?

By all means go and file a complaint with the county but make sure that your facts are straight.

Sincerely

Monekywrech

Posted by: pWkE7 ()
Date: July 07, 2014 07:12PM

Not allowed to drain a pool to the outside or storm sewer. Take a pic and report them to the county
They will be fined. Dickhead neighbors killed my grass when they drained over chloronated pool in my yard. County nailed their asses. After the county fines them, use that as a basis to sue them for damages. Mine ha to pay for cost of repairs to my lawn. Just over $3k for new sod and labor

Posted by: adave ()
Date: July 07, 2014 07:36PM

really the only good revenge in this situation is to sleep with his wife.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: July 07, 2014 10:42PM

I can tell you after dealing with our Local Pool in Fairfax, The correct process to drain a pool is not add any chemicals for atleast 7 days, the water then drains onto the grass and flows away, It is Illegal to dump it into the Sewage Sewer, the county does not want to Treat excess water. I dont know what the process is if it effects your property. Our pool drains into Hidden Pond a little ways downstream. I would get a river flowing through my Carport from the neighbors gutters, I just swaled it away from my carport, subtle as adding some topsoil and Sod and claiming I was fixing my yard, but I was actually diverting it to the street as to not effect my property. Trees if they hang over into your property you are allowed to trim that plane that is on your property. White Pine when trimmed DO NOT grow back.

Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: July 08, 2014 01:12PM

You can legally trim trees/shurbs to the property line... provided such that you do not cause damage/death to the tree/shrub...

Posted by: Kardiac17 ()
Date: July 08, 2014 01:28PM

Time to lawyer up!

Posted by: Fairfax County Links on this ()
Date: July 08, 2014 01:47PM

homeownerfc Wrote:
> Our adjacent neighbors are neither friendly nor
> neighborly. Our property -- including trees and
> shrubs -- long predates the subdivision they live
> in. In typical Fairfax fashion, the developer
> maxed the size of the homes on the lots, cut down
> most of the existing trees, and pushed lot
> development right up to the property line,
> automatically creating tree/shrub overhang issues.
> Our neighbors then put in a pool right up to the
> property line. For YEARS, the pool has been a
> problem. On multiple occasions they have partly
> or fully drained it onto our property. They never
> take responsibility and never apologize.
> Following the most recent flooding issue, a
> workman on their property told us that there was a
> broken drainage pipe that was the cause of the
> problem. The neighbor denied it and suggested
> that we take care of the problem by building a
> swale to carry water away from our yard. We have
> already spent many thousands of dollars attempting
> to deal with their drainage and are disinclined to
> do more. After the latest flood, our neghbors
> appear to have installed a french drain that
> channels under their side fence and terminates
> above ground in "neutral" ground abutting the
> subdivision dry pond. This appears to us to
> simply move their water out of their back yard and
> dump it next to us, where it will eventually drain
> back into our yard. We doubt they had a permit to
> do this, and are now in the process of filing a
> formal complaint with the County.
>
> While denying responsibility for their repeated
> flooding of our yard, our charming neighbors are
> very quick to "ask" (demand) that we take care of
> maintaining our trees and shrubs that border their
> property. We are diligent in doing so and have
> just spent thousands taking care of our trees,
> including several that overhang their property.
> One issue for them has been poison ivy growing up
> several pine trees that abut their swimming pool,
> about which they have contacted us at least a
> half-dozen times in the past 2 months. In fact,
> the company we hired to prune our trees did -- at
> our request and expense -- remove poison ivy from
> the pines, but apparently not to our neighbors'
> satisfaction, as they have already called again to
> complain that nothing was done and they are unable
> to enjoy their pool because alleged debris falls
> into it. We've bent over backwards to address
> their concerns, even allowing them to completely
> remove several vertical feet of branches from the
> pine trees to minimize the problem. All to no
> avail.
>
> How does one deal with neighbors like this? As
> noted, we are -- in our view of course -- quite
> responsive to their concerns about branch overhang
> and proper tree and shrub maintenance, while they
> blow us off about their repeated pool drainage and
> flooding of our yard. It's no small irony that
> every time they flood our yard they are
> undoubtedly damaging our trees and shrubs,
> contributing to the problem they complain about.
>
>
> While we absolutely recognize our responsibility
> to maintain our trees and shrubs and have done so
> within the limits of time and budget, we're fed up
> with them, particularly in the imperious way in
> which they make their demands while refusing to
> take care of their pool drainage.
>
> Has anyone out there dealt with similar neighbor
> issues? We'd be grateful for suggestions . . .

Here is a link from the Fairfax county government on this very subject...

FAQs: Residential Swimming Pools
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/navbar/faqs/res_pools.htm

This last item from this page will interest you...

What is the proper way to discharge swimming pool water on your property?

Swimming pool water can have a negative effect on the environment and on your neighbor’s property. Before pumping water from a swimming pool, the water should not contain any chlorine, the pH should be neutral and the discharged water should not go into your neighbor's yard. More information can be found on the Proper Discharge of Swimming Pool Water website or by contacting the Stormwater Planning Division at 703-324-5500, TTY 711. Commercial swimming pool operators should contact the Health Department at 703-246-2300, TTY 711.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tree Care and Tree Removal
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/navbar/faqs/treecare.htm

How should I prune my trees?

Using proper pruning techniques is extremely important to the long-term health and viability of trees. Always use clean, sharp tools when making cuts. Pruning is best accomplished during the tree's dormant season before new growth begins. Pruning of young trees should be aimed at establishing a healthy growth pattern for the new tree. Pruning of mature trees is best limited to removal of dead or hazardous limbs. Topping a tree is NOT proper pruning, and is not conducive to the long-term health of the tree. See below for information on why topping is bad for a tree. For more information on how to properly prune a tree, you may also visit the Virginia Department of Forestry.

Why does the pruning practice known as topping hurt trees?

"Topping" of trees is perhaps the most harmful pruning practice known. By removing a large portion of the tree's upper leaves, new problems can be created. Topped trees are more likely to suffer from stress and become vulnerable to sun damage, insects, disease and storms. If you have a tree that has grown too large, there are ways to correctly prune to reduce the tree crown without damaging the health of the tree. The rapid re-growth of shoots on a topped tree is an indication of stress and a weakened state of health. For appropriate methods to reduce the height or spread of a tree, an arborist can determine the best approach to pruning to preserve the tree's natural beauty, health and safety for the surrounding environment.

How can I manage trees and turf and promote the continued health of both?

Trees and grass are healthier when they are not forced to compete with each other. Both provide benefits to the environment, but when placed next to each other can result in problems to both species. Grass at the base of a tree is often weak and thin. The shade provided by the tree is not suitable for many types of grasses. In addition, the roots of the tree, which are closer to the surface, can disrupt the growth pattern of grasses. In return, grasses take away many nutrients and much needed moisture, causing trees to weaken and produce poor growth. Trees may also be damaged by lawn equipment, causing wounds that allow disease and insects a point of entry. The best approach is generally to allow a mulched area around the perimeter of the drip line of the tree. This keeps grass from competing with the tree for vital nutrients and moisture and reduces likelihood of damage to both species.

Why is proper mulching of trees important and what are the proper techniques?

Proper mulching helps maintain moisture in dry summer months, reduces weeds that draw away necessary nutrients, acts as an insulation against extreme heat and cold, and provides an aesthetically pleasing base for landscaping. Improper mulching, however, can be the cause of stress and decline in a tree. For instance, mulch that is too deep and piled high against the trunk of a tree may actually prevent the tree from receiving adequate amounts of oxygen and water, cause excessive moisture to be retained causing roots to rot, and may harbor insects and other pests. Mulch should generally be applied in a 2"-4" layer around the base of the tree, extending outward towards the dripline. Avoid mulching directly against the base of the tree; allow several inches between the base of the tree and the surrounding mulch. Whenever possible, use organic mulches to provide beneficial nutrients.

My tree looks stressed and strange; what's wrong with it?

A healthy tree has many built-in methods of resisting normal insect and disease invasions. A tree may become stressed from physical changes in the root zone or from other environmental factors that affect the basic requirements of the tree, including light, oxygen to the roots, water and the balance of essential nutrients. A stressed tree then becomes more vulnerable and unable to sustain the needed resistance to insect and disease invasion. Identifying causes of tree stress and mitigating them early can help a tree to resist or fight harmful agents. A certified tree professional can identify causes of stress and make recommendations to mitigate the stressful situation, and detail any treatments. For more information on identifying common insect and disease symptoms in trees visit the Virginia Department of Forestry.

Can I remove trees on my property?

There are no laws or regulations in Virginia that prohibit you from removing individual trees on your own property. Harvesting of timber on your property, however, is regulated by the Virginia Department of Forestry and any land disturbing activity (removing trees and stumps) on more than 2500 square feet of your property requires a permit from Fairfax County. In Fairfax County, some areas on private property are designated as Resource Protection Areas, Conservation Easements or Environmental Quality Corridors. In general, you are permitted to remove trees that are dead, dying or diseased in these areas, provided you remove them by hand and replace them with similar vegetation. In these situations, an Urban Forest Management Division representative will evaluate the tree(s) and determine whether it meets the criteria for removal, and then provide recommendations for replacement. If you want to remove a healthy tree(s) from these areas, you would need to be sure of the restrictions specific to your conservation easement or Environmental Quality Corridor. This information should be available in your property records. In the case of a Resource Protection Area, the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance provides information about tree removal restrictions in these areas. To find out if you have a conservation easement, Resource Protection Area or Environmental Quality Corridor on your property, use the Fairfax County Digital Map Viewer.

Who do I contact if my neighbor is illegally cutting down trees?

If you believe that your neighbor is removing trees or disturbing land illegally, visit the Reporting Land Development Concerns page for information on how to report such activities.

Who should I hire to take care of or remove trees on my property?

There are many tree removal contractors and arborists working in our area. An arborist is a specialist in the care of trees. A certified arborist is an experienced professional who has passed an extensive industry-approved examination covering all aspects of tree care. Certified arborists must continue their education to maintain their certification, so they are more likely to be up to date on the latest arboricultural standards and techniques. Keep in mind that good arborists will only perform accepted arboricultural practices. For instance, topping trees is not an industry accepted practice and you should be wary of any arborist who advertises such services.

The condition of your trees can have a significant affect on the value and safety of your property. Therefore, it is in your best interest to be an informed consumer when seeking the services of an arborist. Find out how to hire an arborist.

More Questions?

For more information, contact the Fairfax County Urban Forest Management Division at 703-324-1770, TTY 711, or by email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hazardous Trees on Private Property
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/environmental/privateproperty.htm

Fairfax County has no legal authority to require the removal of hazardous tree(s) that are located on private property unless the tree(s) threaten the public at large (public streets, sidewalks, school yards and parks). If the Urban Forest Management Division determines that the tree(s) are a threat to the public, then the owner of the property is required to have the tree(s) removed.

When there is a dispute between neighbors about a hazardous tree, this is a civil issue and Fairfax County will not take action in these situations.

When a hazardous tree is located on private property and is not threatening any public areas, then Fairfax County will not require the removal of the tree, but recommends that the property owner contact a tree removal contractor or arborist for advice on how to handle the situation. Possible solutions may include pruning, providing external support for weakened trees, providing remedial care or removing the affected tree. Find out how to hire an arborist.

If you want to remove a tree on your property, you will need to find out if there are any conservation easements, Resource Protection Areas or Environmental Quality Corridors on your property. You can check your property plat to find out if you have any of these areas designated on your property. In general, trees that are determined to be dead, diseased and/or dying can be removed from these areas by hand, but must be replaced with similar vegetation. A representative of the Urban Forest Management Division will evaluate the tree(s) in this situation and provide recommendations for replacement. If you are concerned about a tree on your property and you think it may be in a Resource Protection Area, Environmental Quality Corridor or conservation easement, contact the Urban Forest Management Division at 703-324-1770, TTY 711 or by e-mail.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.