HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ranked #1 for CHEATING: Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
Posted by: Fairfax County Public School Sys ()
Date: August 11, 2016 01:21PM

FAIRFAX COUNTY, VA — Newsweek is out Thursday with its top cheating high schools in the country list, and a local public school ranks No. 1 in the nation.

Fairfax County Public Schools’ Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County took home this year's honors. The magazine ranks the school at 100 percent for college readiness and high school graduation rate and 99.8 percent for "college bound." Over 90 percent of graduates from TJ admitted to cheating during their four years attending the school.

The school, located at 6560 Braddock Road in Fairfax County, was established in 1985 and is a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) school. Students have high-tech equipment at their fingertips, including 3-D printers (14), plasma cutters, refractrometers and ultrasonic probes, according to their student-run Web site, Jefferson Insiders. Evan M. Glazer, former director of Roanoke Valley Governor's School for Science and Technology, is principal of the school.

Students repeatedly asserted that cheating was an integral part of the culture throughout the school. Many cited the combination of pressure to do well plus the exhaustive amount of work required to succeed as the root causes of the TJ cheating culture. They also mentioned that teachers and administrators seem to go out of their way to encourage cheating, which is often viewed as simply unauthorized collaboration.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ranked #1 for CHEATING: Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
Posted by: Lyw7j ()
Date: August 11, 2016 01:25PM

Attachments:
3p08nh.jpg

Re: Ranked #1 for CHEATING: Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology
Posted by: Success ()
Date: August 12, 2016 08:19AM

We didn't create the system. It's unfair to blame motivated students for how they achieve their successes.

Posted by: 47Ccw ()
Date: August 12, 2016 11:30AM

FCPS offers certain students the option to take courses online. During the 2015-16 school year the teacher of one upper level course noticed that several students were submitting identical answers on tests. When it was realized that almost all the students involved came from the same school it was decided that no disciplinary actions would be taken against the offending students. Want to guess what school those kids went to?

Posted by: OP = FAIL ()
Date: August 12, 2016 11:46AM

Sounds like OP's just made her little half breed niglet didn't get in. Sorry, you need to have A and be smart to get into TJ. Basketball and being an aspiring rapper don't count.

Posted by: root cause ()
Date: August 13, 2016 11:16AM

Cheating isn't achieving. We've become a culture so intent on winning, that we now accept unscrupulous behavior as part of succeeding. It was better back in the day when students were all in the mix together. The more advanced students still did well, but they helped the weaker students along the way. The less accedemicly inclined students were able to give back by teaching the other important aspects of school. Socail behavior, group dynamics, humility. Things that seem to be in short supply in today's society. Most of us in the US ended up here because we, or our relatives, left places that valued class, birthright, aristocracy, and name and wealth over ability and potential. We appear to be gravitating back to those systems in the intrest of having our children gain an edge using public school dollars. I think that public schools like TJ should be illeage under the same principle that mandates bussing. Same opportunity for everyone. If you want special privileges, then pay for them yourself and quit dipping into the public trough.

Posted by: Not complicated really. ()
Date: August 13, 2016 03:52PM

Taking prep courses for 2-3 years off stolen test question banks isnt technically cheating if you yourself do not steal the questions. Thats what the Asian community pays for for their kids and they do get into TJ. Good old American gaming the system. If you want your kid to go to school with 70% Asians that studied for the test for 3 years prior to taking them, send your kid to the same memorization test-prep programs. Not complicated really.

Posted by: vmWEe ()
Date: August 13, 2016 05:15PM

oyvay
Attachments:
download.jpg

Posted by: Not complicated at all ()
Date: August 13, 2016 07:16PM

Not complicated really. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Taking prep courses for 2-3 years off stolen test
> question banks isnt technically cheating if you
> yourself do not steal the questions. Thats what
> the Asian community pays for for their kids and
> they do get into TJ. Good old American gaming the
> system. If you want your kid to go to school with
> 70% Asians that studied for the test for 3 years
> prior to taking them, send your kid to the same
> memorization test-prep programs. Not complicated
> really.

Of course the Asian community has figured out how to get in to TJ. These Asian companies that sell their services have a system that works. I know; my kid attended them. But remember that it also involves a lot of work - weekends and summers - and a lot of kids these days are not up for that.

What you may not know is that once these kids are in TJ, their families expect them to excel, and some torture them (no exaggeration) if they don't. I have heard stories of teens being beaten, food withheld, and all contact with the outside world except school taken away because of a B.

So it is understandable on some level that the TJ administration tolerates some cheating to keep these kids safe at home.

Posted by: cheaters cheat ()
Date: August 13, 2016 08:01PM

Well obviously it is a really, really bad idea to cheat your way through school whether you're in TJ or any other HS. That stuff catches up to you eventually.

Posted by: cheaters cheat ()
Date: August 13, 2016 08:22PM

Are these tests using the exact same questions 3 years later? If not, I think that it would be a stretch to call this test prep "cheating".

If the questions on the test are different from the practice test questions...who cares?

Posted by: Occularius Slantus ()
Date: August 13, 2016 08:37PM

My boy, he work in my cat dog restaurant and get in to TJ.

He smart. Come to my restaurant and eat soup-creamofsumyungguy.

Posted by: taketheprepgetin ()
Date: August 14, 2016 11:15AM

cheaters cheat Wrote:
> Are these tests using the exact same questions 3
> years later? If not, I think that it would be a
> stretch to call this test prep "cheating".
>
> If the questions on the test are different from
> the practice test questions...who cares?

The banks of stolen quesitons is a decade old at least. The test prep companies get hold of them each year and their student/clients rehearse the questions over and over for years memorizing the optimal answers. Its hard work and you do have to be sort of smart to make it work. But dont kid yourself and think anyone of the street, no matter how smart and hard working, can compete with students studying from the actual banked questions for years.

Posted by: well then... ()
Date: August 14, 2016 12:02PM

taketheprepgetin Wrote:
> cheaters cheat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are these tests using the exact same questions
> 3
> > years later? If not, I think that it would be
> a
> > stretch to call this test prep "cheating".
> >
> > If the questions on the test are different from
> > the practice test questions...who cares?
>
>
> The banks of stolen quesitons is a decade old at
> least. The test prep companies get hold of them
> each year and their student/clients rehearse the
> questions over and over for years memorizing the
> optimal answers. Its hard work and you do have to
> be sort of smart to make it work. But dont kid
> yourself and think anyone of the street, no matter
> how smart and hard working, can compete with
> students studying from the actual banked questions
> for years.

If the goal is for kids to KNOW the material why on earth are these practice questions banked in a vault somewhere? That pretty much make zero sense.

Posted by: uu7wW ()
Date: August 14, 2016 01:49PM

What is troubling has been FCPS's failure to do anything in response to the stolen tests. Step #1 should have been to go after those students admitted to TJHSST. Revoking admissions would have hit the TJ prep programs hard. Step #2 should have been to immediately release all compromised tests so in the future all applicants would have had an even field starting out.

Posted by: Former student ()
Date: February 07, 2019 08:38PM

Yeah, TJ has a big cheating problem. Other schools may have alcohol or drug problems, but at TJ, students cheat. Many of my peers at school never wanted to attend in the first place. They were forced to by their parents. That said, there are a great deal of students who want to be there. Students realize that they will have to be WAY more competitive in everyday in order to get into the same colleges as kids from other high schools. The biggest reason kids cheat is because of their parents. Students also have parents who pressure them way too much. I've had friends with abusive parents. Them getting a B wasn't acceptable. I had a friend who got in trouble because a counselor talked to her parents thinking she was depressed. If anything, it's the parents of TJ kids who need to change.

Posted by: Asian Expert ()
Date: February 07, 2019 11:24PM

Of course TJ is full of cheaters. It's chock full of Asians, so what do you expect?

See, Asians (at least eastern Asians, anyway) don't consider cheating to be a bad thing. It's a cultural thing. They just don't look at it the way we do.

You know how you've heard some athletes say, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying?" Well that is pretty much all of eastern Asia for everything. They cheat the way you and I breathe. And being really good at cheating is a really good thing - something to aspire to and be proud of.

And it's OK. Since everyone does it all the time, everyone is on the same level.

The only problem occurs when white folks are involved and they have a ridiculous expectation that rules exist for a reason and it's morally wrong to cheat. So they don't cheat, and suddenly they are at a huge disadvantage.

There are a helluva lot more Asians that Caucasians, so IMO it only makes sense for us to adapt to their culture rather than to expect the other way around. We should eliminate or at least just not enforce any penalties for cheating of any kind in any aspect of life - school admissions, tests, business, politics, etc. Those who cheat best are rewarded for their talents and efforts.

Problem: Solved.

Posted by: What a Pile of Bullshit ()
Date: February 07, 2019 11:39PM

Former student Wrote:
> Yeah, TJ has a big cheating problem. Other schools
> may have alcohol or drug problems, but at TJ,
> students cheat. Many of my peers at school never
> wanted to attend in the first place. They were
> forced to by their parents. That said, there are a
> great deal of students who want to be there.
> Students realize that they will have to be WAY
> more competitive in everyday in order to get into
> the same colleges as kids from other high schools.
> The biggest reason kids cheat is because of their
> parents. Students also have parents who pressure
> them way too much. I've had friends with abusive
> parents. Them getting a B wasn't acceptable. I had
> a friend who got in trouble because a counselor
> talked to her parents thinking she was depressed.
> If anything, it's the parents of TJ kids who need
> to change.

Bullshit! These parents are doing it right and the proof is in the puddling in terms of so many Ivy League educations, so many successful doctors, so many successful financial whizzes, so many successful lawyers, so many successful scientists . . .

Why in the HELL would you ever change anything that might affect all that???

So many lazy, worthless, good-for-nothing white, black and Hispanic parents, with all their low expectations, their tolerance of failure, their willingness to accept excuses instead of demanding results, could learn a lot from these terrific Asian parents - if they only gave enough of a fuck to do so. Kids SHOULD Be scared to come home with a B! They should work harder and do better. What the hell is wrong with us if we complain about that?

Anyway, to the poster above, you should literally get down on your knees every single night and thank God, or if you're an atheist at least reflect on your good fortune, to have parents who push you hard to achieve your best. We need MORE parents like that, not fewer.

Posted by: Lik Mi Slo ()
Date: February 07, 2019 11:54PM

Tiger mom's a little sensitive about her cheating kid.

Posted by: HYB4T ()
Date: February 08, 2019 12:02AM

I went to a major Virginia university and people there cheated their asses off, too.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: February 08, 2019 12:40AM

Disagree...There's a certain Catholic school in Old Town... that the daughter of a certain family who owns more than one establishment on King Street attended,,,,,that got a bunch of money so said daughter could graduate.

Or so I've heard. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Another TJ Perspective ()
Date: February 08, 2019 05:36AM

Asian Expert Wrote:
> Of course TJ is full of cheaters. It's chock full
> of Asians, so what do you expect?
>
> See, Asians (at least eastern Asians, anyway)
> don't consider cheating to be a bad thing. It's a
> cultural thing. They just don't look at it the way
> we do.
>
> You know how you've heard some athletes say, "If
> you ain't cheating, you ain't trying?" Well that
> is pretty much all of eastern Asia for everything.
> They cheat the way you and I breathe. And being
> really good at cheating is a really good thing -
> something to aspire to and be proud of.
>
> And it's OK. Since everyone does it all the time,
> everyone is on the same level.
>
> The only problem occurs when white folks are
> involved and they have a ridiculous expectation
> that rules exist for a reason and it's morally
> wrong to cheat. So they don't cheat, and suddenly
> they are at a huge disadvantage.
>
> There are a helluva lot more Asians that
> Caucasians, so IMO it only makes sense for us to
> adapt to their culture rather than to expect the
> other way around. We should eliminate or at least
> just not enforce any penalties for cheating of any
> kind in any aspect of life - school admissions,
> tests, business, politics, etc. Those who cheat
> best are rewarded for their talents and efforts.
>
> Problem: Solved.

Smart People don’t need to cheat. They don’t even need to go to class. I have an East Asian American friend that got his CalTech PhD while working a full time job at Boeing Phantom Works and he never went to class. He is also lazy as fuck and never studies. But then he was born with a 150+ IQ, so that’s all you need.

There were plenty of ultra smart Asian kids at TJ when I went. Guess what?? They are all ultra successful dermatologists, brain surgeons, hedge fund managers and venture capitalists today. But if your racist stereotyping against Asian-Americann gives you comfort, so be it, why the fuck should I care??

I personally never saw any cheating at TJHSST when it was a pure meritocracy and not the leftist affirmative action shithole it is today. But then I was part of the top 2% smartest kids at TJ, did organic chemistry and Westinghouse and attended the Ivies and cheating was simply unnecessary. I really can’t speak for the stupid fucks affirmative action and communism let’s in today, but that’s just more a sign of how much a cancer liberalism and leftist degeneracy really is on our society.

Posted by: You are definitely a pile ()
Date: February 08, 2019 06:30AM

What a Pile of Bullshit Wrote:
>
> Bullshit! These parents are doing it right and
> the proof is in the puddling in terms of so many
> Ivy League educations, so many successful doctors,
> so many successful financial whizzes, so many
> successful lawyers, so many successful scientists
> . . .
>
> Why in the HELL would you ever change anything
> that might affect all that???
>
> So many lazy, worthless, good-for-nothing white,
> black and Hispanic parents, with all their low
> expectations, their tolerance of failure, their
> willingness to accept excuses instead of demanding
> results, could learn a lot from these terrific
> Asian parents - if they only gave enough of a fuck
> to do so. Kids SHOULD Be scared to come home with
> a B! They should work harder and do better. What
> the hell is wrong with us if we complain about
> that?
>
> Anyway, to the poster above, you should literally
> get down on your knees every single night and
> thank God, or if you're an atheist at least
> reflect on your good fortune, to have parents who
> push you hard to achieve your best. We need MORE
> parents like that, not fewer.

So many things wrong with this bullshit on so many levels that it is hard to even know where to begin.

You are assuming there is something special about the kids who get in that distinguishes them from the kids who don't. Yes there is a record of post graduate achievement by those who attend TJ. There is a similar record of achievement by the top kids in the Fairfax County School System who did not get in. For every kid who gets into TJ there are at least three or four equally qualified kids who didn't, or who chose to follow different paths. The post graduate success comes from the fact you have a bunch of kids with above average intelligence who have good work ethics. It doesn't come from having overbearing parents who are willing to game the system not to have their kids do their best but rather to give their kids an advantage over other kids.

So why does this matter? If you believe success alone justifies everything then to you it might not matter. If you believe in the quaint notion success achieved by following the rules then it matters a great deal. Schools exist not just to impart knowledge. They also exist to teach values. What this is teaching kids is that lying, cheating and stealing are OK, so long as it helps you get ahead.

Beyond that you have the question of whether allowing the current system to continue advances TJs mission. TJ doesn't exist by right, and the resources it sucks up has adverse effects. It exists because the citizens and taxpayers of the County believe TJs mission justifies its existence. That mission isn't to allow 1600 high school students to have a better shot of getting into Harvard or UVA than their peers who attended their home high schools. If that is all that matters there are a number of good private schools in the area that will fit the children's needs, so why should the County taxpayers foot the bill?

Posted by: TJ Grad ()
Date: February 08, 2019 06:57AM

^^^

You are just talkin stupid because you have never competed at the 3 or 4 standard deviation intelligence level. Half the TJ kids are already morons. The ones that don’t get into TJ are even bigger morons. The local private schools have even more morons than that, which is why I didn’t go any of them even though I was accepted to all the top private schools in the area. As for the county funding TJ or not, I could care less now. I already got mine. I can say this though, those of us that went to TJ and came back to this county pay way more property taxes than you non-TJ morons. I certainly do.

Posted by: Get it Right...Moron ()
Date: February 08, 2019 08:22AM

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less".

Posted by: Another Pile of Bullshit ()
Date: February 08, 2019 01:17PM

You are definitely a pile Wrote:
> What a Pile of Bullshit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Bullshit! These parents are doing it right and
> > the proof is in the puddling in terms of so
> many
> > Ivy League educations, so many successful
> doctors,
> > so many successful financial whizzes, so many
> > successful lawyers, so many successful
> scientists
> > . . .
> >
> > Why in the HELL would you ever change anything
> > that might affect all that???
> >
> > So many lazy, worthless, good-for-nothing
> white,
> > black and Hispanic parents, with all their low
> > expectations, their tolerance of failure, their
> > willingness to accept excuses instead of
> demanding
> > results, could learn a lot from these terrific
> > Asian parents - if they only gave enough of a
> fuck
> > to do so. Kids SHOULD Be scared to come home
> with
> > a B! They should work harder and do better.
> What
> > the hell is wrong with us if we complain about
> > that?
> >
> > Anyway, to the poster above, you should
> literally
> > get down on your knees every single night and
> > thank God, or if you're an atheist at least
> > reflect on your good fortune, to have parents
> who
> > push you hard to achieve your best. We need
> MORE
> > parents like that, not fewer.
>
> So many things wrong with this bullshit on so many
> levels that it is hard to even know where to
> begin.
>
> You are assuming there is something special about
> the kids who get in that distinguishes them from
> the kids who don't. Yes there is a record of post
> graduate achievement by those who attend TJ.
> There is a similar record of achievement by the
> top kids in the Fairfax County School System who
> did not get in. For every kid who gets into TJ
> there are at least three or four equally qualified
> kids who didn't, or who chose to follow different
> paths. The post graduate success comes from the
> fact you have a bunch of kids with above average
> intelligence who have good work ethics. It
> doesn't come from having overbearing parents who
> are willing to game the system not to have their
> kids do their best but rather to give their kids
> an advantage over other kids.
>
>
> So why does this matter? If you believe success
> alone justifies everything then to you it might
> not matter. If you believe in the quaint notion
> success achieved by following the rules then it
> matters a great deal. Schools exist not just to
> impart knowledge. They also exist to teach
> values. What this is teaching kids is that lying,
> cheating and stealing are OK, so long as it helps
> you get ahead.
>
> Beyond that you have the question of whether
> allowing the current system to continue advances
> TJs mission. TJ doesn't exist by right, and the
> resources it sucks up has adverse effects. It
> exists because the citizens and taxpayers of the
> County believe TJs mission justifies its
> existence. That mission isn't to allow 1600 high
> school students to have a better shot of getting
> into Harvard or UVA than their peers who attended
> their home high schools. If that is all that
> matters there are a number of good private schools
> in the area that will fit the children's needs, so
> why should the County taxpayers foot the bill?

Well, thank you for the Communist perspective on this important issue. We will give it all the due weight it deserves.

Meanwhile, among all that bullshit, THIS amused me the most:

"If that is all that matters there are a number of good private schools in the area that will fit the children's needs, so why should the County taxpayers foot the bill?"

Those kids' parents ARE taxpayers. And if "county taxpayers" weren't paying to educate them at TJ, they would be paying to educate them at Langley, McLean, Marshall, Madison, etc. anyway. So "county taxpayers" would foot the bill anyway.

I mean unless you're advocating (and I KNOW you aren't) abolishing the entire taxpayer funded FCPS - in which case you and I would be in agreement. But I just KNOW you don't favor that. So "county" taxpyaers have to pay for all of these kids' educations anyway, whether it is at TJ or Langley, McLean, Marshall, Madison, etc. So what's the difference?

Also, I am 1000% sure you not only have NO problem with, but are indeed a strong supporter of, "county taxpayers" spending beau-coup extra bucks for the opposite of the TL kids: the slow learners, the poor achievers, the dimwitted, the illegal aliens, the troublemakers, the retarded . . . special ed courses, extra counseling, free meals, ESL classes. So, please . . . get off the "fiscal responsibility" horse: it doesn't fit you.

And logically which makes more sense anyway? Devoting resources to build and grow your best assets, or throwing more money at poorly performing assets who in most cases are not ever going to achieve much anyway?

So much more . . .but no time right now. Except for this.

"If you believe success alone justifies everything then to you it might not matter."

I don't just believe that. I KNOW that.

What, you think failure should matter and get credit so long as that failure was produced by "following the rules?" Are they giving out some sort of participation trophies after high school for failing but "following the rules" where you live? I think that's called "welfare."

We need more success and less failure. Everyone does. Parents and schools that expect, demand, and reward success and punish failure are an excellent thing. Low-expectation-having parents and schools that coddle failure, excuse it, embrace it, and praise the "effort" which produced that failure are a blight on humanity.

Posted by: TJ Grad ()
Date: February 08, 2019 01:58PM

Get it Right...Moron Wrote:
> The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less", not
> "I could care less".

You are incredibly stupid trying to correct the grammar of someone purposefully using the vernacular. I started my statement with “You are just talkin stupid” after all. I can see that your incredibly low intelligence knows no bounds.

Posted by: edvmudytrw ()
Date: February 08, 2019 02:00PM

TJ Grad Wrote:
> ^^^
>
> You are just talkin stupid because you have never
> competed at the 3 or 4 standard deviation
> intelligence level. Half the TJ kids are already
> morons.

Attacking the messenger. If that is what passes for informed debate at TJ then I agree-half the kids who go to TJ are morons.

I went to a more egalitarian school system. Except for music any high school kid who had taken the necessary prerequisites could sign up for any class offered. Once there the kids would either succeed or fail based on their own abilities or efforts. There was no remedial help for kids in advanced classes and no GPA enhancement to save your class ranking for students who didn't perform well. This approach didn't simply give all students access to the more advanced classes. It also meant that those of us who were near the top of our class generally were competing against students who on a subject by subject basis might be equal to or better than us, even though overall we outperformed them. No matter what your gpa a 2.5 gpa army brat who spent five years in the Canal Zone is tough competition in an Intro Spanish class.

Posted by: WTF is this asshole smoking?? ()
Date: February 08, 2019 02:39PM

edvmudytrw Wrote:
> No matter what your gpa a
> 2.5 gpa army brat who spent five years in the
> Canal Zone is tough competition in an Intro
> Spanish class.

I’m sure those “Canal Zone” Intro Spanish class skills come in real handy for your night shift job at Taco Bell, but nobody cares. Really. Nobody Cares.

Posted by: Pointing Out the Bullshit ()
Date: February 08, 2019 02:59PM

edvmudytrw Wrote:

> Attacking the messenger. If that is what passes
> for informed debate at TJ then I agree-half the
> kids who go to TJ are morons.
>
> I went to a more egalitarian school system.
> Except for music any high school kid who had taken
> the necessary prerequisites could sign up for any
> class offered. Once there the kids would either
> succeed or fail based on their own abilities or
> efforts. There was no remedial help for kids in
> advanced classes and no GPA enhancement to save
> your class ranking for students who didn't perform
> well. This approach didn't simply give all
> students access to the more advanced classes. It
> also meant that those of us who were near the top
> of our class generally were competing against
> students who on a subject by subject basis might
> be equal to or better than us, even though overall
> we outperformed them. No matter what your gpa a
> 2.5 gpa army brat who spent five years in the
> Canal Zone is tough competition in an Intro
> Spanish class.

"I went to a more egalitarian school system."

Maybe. I'm guessing it wasn't one in the U.S.A., though. You last sentence was gibberish. "No matter what your gpa" and "a 2.5 gpa army brat" do not belong together like that. Try again.

Posted by: that's how the chinks roll ()
Date: February 08, 2019 03:04PM

Attachments:
iphone in rice.jpg

Posted by: Science is your friend ()
Date: February 08, 2019 03:11PM

^^^

Fairy Chinks or the rice acts like a desiccant. I pick option 2.

Posted by: v73nj ()
Date: February 08, 2019 08:21PM

if you don't think asians cheat your WAY WRONG

and i don't doubt they blew hellish ammounts of fx co gov money to build "special schools" asians got into so ...

so they could cheat without being caught

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.