HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Sears closing???
Posted by: InquiringMinds1212 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 05:30PM

Hey folks, is Sears closing at Fair Oaks mall?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Sears closing???
Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: August 23, 2018 06:13PM

Yep it sure is. There is another message thread about it. Kinda surprised it’s lasted this long.

Posted by: Retail Schmetail ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:38PM

Yes, indeed - surprised it lasted this long too. I do realize the consolidated the store to one single floor in the past, but it's been about 5 years since I last shopped there.

I'm sure in about 10 more years, we'll be discussing the closure of the Fair Oaks mall. With the changes in on-line buying, the death-watch for malls marches on.

Posted by: xeecx ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:58PM

Never trust New York City with your money. Are you invested in Sears? They're selling you out.

For example. Sears had a mail catalog that was simply infamous - people on the street could tell you what was and wasn't in the catelog and it was sometimes used as "a reader".

Internet comes in, Sears gets in early with online sales - earlier than Ebay (and then amazon when it came on the scene). Infact even linux users were seeking / using online credit card sales and sales websites before ebay and amazon first appeared (VERY typical for PC - the people who make somethign popular are rarely the people who end up with the money).

SEARS? They use low bandwidth so shopping is uselessly slow. They junk it with ads so the average PC couldn't keep up (despite that sears didn't sell PC). They were continually off line. They never challenged ebay.

THEY PLANNED THIS EXIT - for the $$$$. NYC can make money off a win or a loose if they know about it ahead of time

Posted by: nevcc ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:05PM

the way sears was stocked in the 80's fit perfectly with the shopper's need: a one shop stop

however: sears has not changed it's format to fit the times, and chose to put many item in their store that are "slow to leave the shelf". this is compounded by the fact many of these same items are "likely ebay purchases" modernly. in the 80's that worked toward being a one stop shop

today the ONLY way that would work is to have "leaders" (ads that get customers in stores in hopes the buy more than they came for)

however: sears is (was, in many cases) in shopping malls. they have to be extremely careful what they choose to sell and how they get people "to the mall".

let's take their tool line. they could sell "a sears brand" customers are really unsure of, a made in china junk (currently that is what they sell), or Makita ("a known good tool")

you won't find a Makita tool in Sears

So what you see is all "unsafe choices" made for big mark up. If I'm going to stop one place to shop I am going to resent it if i think everything around me is chosen for markup: AND LEAVE.

Posted by: nc4kp ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:16PM

thing about tools: in the 80's sears had made in usa tools

a Lisle tool (total crap would hardly last one use) was better still than a chinese tool (would not even do the job) in the 80's

Sears sole made in usa "sears brand" wrenches: they were good but not excellent (not snap-on wrenches), but for the 80's they were the best you'd get for that money

YOU WERE SAFE TO GO TO GET TOOLS AT SEARS (snap-on would be suggested, but not everyone uses wrenches enough to justify how much better they make jobs go)

IT WAS A SAFE BET TO SAY: I'LL GO TO SEARS, THEY'LL HAVE WHAT I NEED

If I'm looking at made in china wrenches at Sears (I know they're at homedepot anyhow), HOW CAN I TRUST NEW YORK CITY ON THIS marked-up china tool? I can't.

MY REACTION IS I'LL PUT OFF DOING THE WORK UNTIL I CAN ORDER A SAFE QUALITY CHOICE FROM EBAY.

Point is: there's competition. and marking up chinese crap COULD spell the end of Sears. and they could be doing it intently - they could be hedged against it staying open

Posted by: jwxec ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:30PM

Someone on FFU said Sears just remodeled.

either they remodeled so they could sell, or the whole remodeling contract was: a CORRUPT FX CO DEAL TO EMPLOY ILLEGALS and bankrupt the location

Posted by: tkk7k ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:40PM

it's not just sears that has to be DOUBLE wary of what they carry on the shelves

HOMEDEPOT. at one time (early 2000's) they always had only 1/2 of what was needed to finish the job. i either scheduled jobs further out so i could order it all online or went to lowes. i stopped going

HOMEDEPOT: if contractors know they have only crap (meaning tools for contractors, not materials selling to ripped off customers), contractors won't even bother going

homedepot - to stay in business - has to stay on top of price and selection or contractors will simply "work around them" and buy only low profit high volume products there (like sand)

Posted by: Retail anylist ()
Date: August 24, 2018 08:34AM

The sears out at Apple Blossom mall in Winchester has sales so strong that they can barely keep up. Sears is talking about expanding that store. I wonder why Fair Oaks has been sucking so bad. Probably a better class of people in Winchester.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.