HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Nags Head
Posted by: Bill ()
Date: May 13, 2006 05:23PM

Heading down to Nags Head in a few weeks. Wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on places to eat, things to do, etc. We will be staying in the Kill Devil Hills area.

Also, anyone know of a public pool in the area? The kids are a little to young for the ocean.
Any hot spots for wireless access. Our rental has no internet connection and we will need to check email at least a couple times while there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nags Head
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 13, 2006 05:37PM

I used to vacation in kill devil hills back in the early 80's

I wonder if the bumper boats are still around there

I know you didn't ask for it, but you can take these cool plane rides over the various shipwrecks in the area. Check that shit out. That place is shipwreck central.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 13, 2006 05:40PM

j

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 04:23AM by inkahootz.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: May 13, 2006 05:50PM

Kelly's is about the only bar that i've been to that's not packed with leathery old dudes. Outer Banks Brewing Company (i think that's the name) can be good sometimes too. I dont think there are any public pools, but lots of ones in subdivisions you may be able to sneak into. One of the houses near my parents' place has an open wifi connection so they are out there randomly. The public library in KDH has internet you can use for 15 minute slots if that's all you need.

Edit: Maybe you're a little old for the bar scene, but there's plenty of good restaurants all over there. Bas Cedar? or Tale of the Whale, both on the causeway, are my personal favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2006 05:54PM by mad max, JD.

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: May 13, 2006 06:34PM

Whenever I go down I always eat at Goombay's. It's on Virginia Dare or whatever it's called, the road that runs right by the beach, around MP 6. Pigman's Barbeque is badass, on the west side of the Bypass (158?) a little further down, I think between 11 and 13. The Outer Banks Brewing Station is the best bar scene I know of, pretty close to Pigman's. Big but not clubby. Quagmire's, on the same road as Goombay's is pretty good for either eating or drinking as well, not far from Goombay's, but last summer they were talking about it closing so I'm not sure if it's still there.

I really need to make a trip or two this summer. Have fun.

Posted by: TrickieL ()
Date: May 13, 2006 06:42PM

We love the restaurants Tortuga's and Mama Kwan's. Also kids love climbing that huge sand dune called Jockey's Ridge. It gets them tired too. Last year I found internet access at a book store past Jockey's Ridge at a shopping center. The center is on the same side of the road as Jockey's Ridge. Sorry I cannot remember the name of it. We also love the restaurant red Drum on the road near the water about Mile post 10.
Another thing we liked was going to The Lost Colony, not the play just the grounds. It's in Manteo. We also took a kayak tour with a guide. Kids could ride in a double kayak , one with each parent. The tour was on a small creek and we even saw a snake!!! Eating at the Nag's head Pier is very reasonable cost wise and there are lots of kids. Plus you can rent a fishing pole and take them fishing. We also loved Coquina beach down past Nagshead. It was very uncrowded and we even saw dolphins. They have showers too. It's on the roade to Hatteras. I hope you have fun.

Trickie

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: May 13, 2006 11:06PM

Lock those little fuckers in their room and go get tanked in the hot tub.

Posted by: lex ()
Date: May 14, 2006 09:30AM

there was a nice lil mom and pop breakfast place out on one of the fishing piers, i think it was avalon, not sure. don't reccomend awful arthurs. as to the kids being too young, they'll still get a kick outta playin in the sand all day long. get a lil kiddy wading pool if they're too little for the ocean, and set it up on the beach and it should only take a few buckets of water to fill it. as long as they're walking (ie. mobile) they're really not too little for the beach, sandcastles and collecting shells.

Posted by: Caroline ()
Date: May 14, 2006 09:58PM

While on the subject, I will be going down to Nags Head for the first time around june 20 to visit a friend and I'm just curious if anyone can offer the best/fastest route there or time to leave (I know the weekends are awful b/c everyone is leaving/coming) and any good travel tips when heading down there (i.e. police infested areas)

Thanks for any input,
~Caroline

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 14, 2006 10:19PM

drug use and public sex are encouraged

the best time to go is 2 AM

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 14, 2006 10:51PM

Had some great breakfasts at The Dunes a few weeks ago in Nags Head. Real greasy spoon type breakfasts, big omelettes and amazing home fries.

Posted by: Wi Fi 4 U ()
Date: August 07, 2016 11:16PM

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heading down to Nags Head in a few weeks. Wanted
> to see if anyone had recommendations on places to
> eat, things to do, etc. We will be staying in the
> Kill Devil Hills area.
>
> Also, anyone know of a public pool in the area?
> The kids are a little to young for the ocean.
> Any hot spots for wireless access. Our rental has
> no internet connection and we will need to check
> email at least a couple times while there.

Free Wi Fi is every where

Posted by: no more ()
Date: August 08, 2016 01:31AM

I gave up on nags head several years ago. Most of the restaurant's were sub par. The last house I rented was 2 blocks off the beach and was poorly kept up and too expensive. The cop's gave u s crap about lighting fireworks on the 4th of July on the beach, and had the city's truck hauling their fireworks blow up killing the drivers. Maybe they should have been worring about their own stuff. South Carolina and Georgia beaches are cheaper, they have many restaurant's that are really good, and it's only a couple of hours further down the road.

Posted by: Nags Head Since 1967 ()
Date: August 08, 2016 10:46AM

Nags Head was ruined by the assholes from NY NJ PA.

Posted by: spell check ()
Date: August 08, 2016 11:37AM

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. What's up with the 10 year old thread revivals lately?

Also, you spelled the beach wrong. You meant to say Fag's Head

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.