HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
TJ RESULTS HAVE BEEN RELEASED
Posted by: Angel ()
Date: April 01, 2016 06:15PM

Thank you to all who applied to TJHSST. I will part of the welcoming committee you will see next year. I will also be attending the Open House on April 9th. I hope you received an acceptance notification (shown below) and if you are wait-listed, do not despair, for TJ always has spots left after the summer round.
Attachments:
Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 6.36.27 PM.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJ RESULTS HAVE BEEN RELEASED
Posted by: Slantus Occularius ()
Date: April 01, 2016 06:35PM

My boy in. He smart kid. Will make great cardiologist. Come to my Pho restaurant tonight for free Pho.

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: April 01, 2016 06:39PM

I see the first suicide of the season.

Posted by: cL4wG ()
Date: April 01, 2016 06:40PM

Kid didnt make final cut - oh well.

Posted by: congratulations ()
Date: April 01, 2016 06:48PM

All the people that spent 000's cheating congratulations!

Posted by: G. Endive ()
Date: April 01, 2016 07:28PM

congratulations Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All the people that spent 000's cheating
> congratulations!

Congratulations to the students who came for the sports, especially girls soccer.

Date: April 01, 2016 08:15PM

Can one still apply later on?

Posted by: Viets are stupid ()
Date: April 01, 2016 08:18PM

Slantus Occularius Wrote:
> My boy in. He smart kid. Will make great
> cardiologist. Come to my Pho restaurant tonight
> for free Pho.

Viets are dumb, they run Pho restaurants or shady repair shops. Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese are the smart slants.

Posted by: yhXJK ()
Date: April 01, 2016 08:22PM

its all a joke. We know families that literally have their kids in TJ prep starting in 4th grade. You would have to be a certified genius to beat that many students that spend 36 months being trained by adults to excel in those specific tests using answers and admittance information gathered by professionals over time. The school is simply a graduate school for the prep courses.

Posted by: pUEc3 ()
Date: April 01, 2016 09:31PM

the work by these students is NOT better

they are being "fast tracked" to be gov workers

their "records" are being padded with much fanfare to insure their children are assured gov work

the choices of who gets in these classes is not and will SURELY NOT be by intelligence

the choice will be political

it was no secret in the early 90's - just before the sack of shit '95 and the turn-coat "let the illegal voters in" 1998's

that in fx co, a teachers child was SURE TO GET ALLOT better grading by teachers than other students with the same work turned in

another phenomenon of the 90's was that in the 1980's if a parent "helped a child with homework" the school system could give them (a ticket, a court summons, for cheating the school system)

in the 90's kids were turning in things their parents (mostly did, directed) and the media was playing off like "it was fair play" instead of "a serious problem of cheating the wealth of learning, cheating the system and gov, and teaching a child to cheat"

-----------------------------
crime breeds

Posted by: myVpN ()
Date: April 01, 2016 11:25PM

yhXJK Wrote:
> its all a joke. We know families that literally
> have their kids in TJ prep starting in 4th grade.
> You would have to be a certified genius to beat
> that many students that spend 36 months being
> trained by adults to excel in those specific tests
> using answers and admittance information gathered
> by professionals over time. The school is simply
> a graduate school for the prep courses.

+483

Id guess 85% or more of those accepted took extensive prep courses. Angle likes to lie and say she didnt take any but she did.

Posted by: CHEERLEADER for TJ ()
Date: April 02, 2016 12:42AM

I am a cheerleader at TJ! LOVE IT - Favorite cheer to our athletic competitors from other schools is:

That's alright
That's okay
You are going to work
FOR US someday

Gooooooooooooo TJ!

Posted by: Possibly true. ()
Date: April 02, 2016 09:57AM

CHEERLEADER for TJ Wrote:
> I am a cheerleader at TJ! LOVE IT - Favorite
> cheer to our athletic competitors from other
> schools is:
>
> That's alright
> That's okay
> You are going to work
> FOR US someday
>
> Gooooooooooooo TJ!

Possibly true. People that cheat to get into schools as the majority of TJ students do, often do very well in the world of business...

Posted by: Otto the Saxon ()
Date: April 02, 2016 05:24PM

TJ means jack. Look at where their graduates end up. If you want your kids to have a leg up society, move to Great Falls and send your kids to Langley. That's where the people the TJ grads will be working for go to high school.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: April 02, 2016 05:56PM

William and Mary
UV
VT
VCU

The top 4 for TJ grads. Lol.....2nd Tier universities, and that's stretching it.

Date: April 02, 2016 08:26PM

My boy in. He smart Chinese boy. He will be great cardiologist. He work hard in Chinese restaurant. He make good rice, cat/dog, and can do laundry.

Posted by: UnhKmo ()
Date: April 02, 2016 09:40PM

> I will part of the welcoming committee you will see next year.

Uh ok. Nice English. Might want to spend your summer working on that.

Posted by: Didnt pay $$$ ()
Date: April 03, 2016 10:55AM

Didnt pay $$$, didnt roll the dice on investing hundreds of hours of training. My kid did very well but did not have the S. Korean cheat-training. That's all TJ has become - a repository for cheaters based on the South Korean Cheating model.

If dogs could read you could train them to get into TJ given enough time. The reason TJ is over represented by Asians is the fact that they cheat to get in. Parents send kids to TJ prep starting in 4th grade. That gives them 3.5 years to memorize stolen answers and pad their resume. 'Tech Passion' is no more than code for cheaters prosper.

I congratulate the TJ students for winning at any cost but this is not a system that produces innovation or leadership, just the opposite.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/01/21/sat-canceled-in-some-asian-test-centers-because-of-security-breach/

Posted by: You screwed your poor kid over. ()
Date: April 03, 2016 07:51PM

^ should have paid the money and had your kid memorize the test bro. You screwed your poor kid over.

Posted by: Hose. A Martinez ()
Date: April 03, 2016 08:04PM

My boy Juan Valentine Valintine Enrique Remereze Martinez was the point zero zero zero one percent His spic who got admitted to TJ.

Thank you Obama for the Obama phone and Internet which allowed little Juan VVER Martinez to be good studier and beaner that got him into Asian University.

He will be a great soccer player and can cut the grass and paint the walls of the school.

Posted by: foundsomefat ()
Date: April 03, 2016 08:07PM

I thought the county needed some more fat to trim? Why not a private school for Asians costing taxpayers millions?

Posted by: Eric Holder ()
Date: April 03, 2016 08:08PM

Obvious disproportionate race representation.

I'll be filing suit.

Posted by: tisktisk ()
Date: April 03, 2016 08:10PM

Didnt pay $$$ Wrote:
> Didnt pay $$$, didnt roll the dice on investing
> hundreds of hours of training. My kid did very
> well but did not have the S. Korean
> cheat-training. That's all TJ has become - a
> repository for cheaters based on the South Korean
> Cheating model.
>
> If dogs could read you could train them to get
> into TJ given enough time. The reason TJ is over
> represented by Asians is the fact that they cheat
> to get in. Parents send kids to TJ prep starting
> in 4th grade. That gives them 3.5 years to
> memorize stolen answers and pad their resume.
> 'Tech Passion' is no more than code for cheaters
> prosper.
>
> I congratulate the TJ students for winning at any
> cost but this is not a system that produces
> innovation or leadership, just the opposite.
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/w
> p/2016/01/21/sat-canceled-in-some-asian-test-cente
> rs-because-of-security-breach/

you sound to me like a poor loser.

Posted by: cheating scandal that is TJHS ()
Date: April 04, 2016 08:09AM

You screwed your poor kid over. Wrote:
> ^ should have paid the money and had your kid
> memorize the test bro. You screwed your poor kid
> over.

+1000

I think FCPS should just charge tuition and save all the Asians the grief of giving money away to the cheating schools. win-win. PS college admission boards see right through the cheating scandal that is TJHS

Posted by: eEkVu ()
Date: April 04, 2016 09:34AM

My son has been in AAP since 3rd and has always tested in the top 98% percentile on nationally standardized tests. He made it to the final cut to TJ this year but did not get in. His test scores were disproportionately low for him at 70% on the final (2nd round) of testing for TJ. To be so far off on the testing - to go from 98% to 70% suggests to me test preparation by other students specific to the entrance exam is a factor. My son is at the maximum level of math and other courses in 8th grade (AAP in all classes and Honors Geometry). I cannot figure why he would drop a couple full standard deviations when his ranking among the same students is high outside of the actual admissions test.

It is widely known that there are a variety of 'test preparation services' that use banks of previous years questions and successful answers to 'prepare' students. These are professionally taught test prep courses by instructors with years experience in the specific TJ admissions test and admissions process. It is not uncommon for students to spend multiple years preparing for the TJ Admission test.

Being very very smart is not nearly enough to be admitted to TJ. If hundreds of the 1,280 finalists have been studying and preparing the TJ test outside of school with the benefit of previous years questions and successful answers it is unlikely someone not so trained will excel on the test. Bottom like if you think your child would enjoy TJ and is already very smart, start a couple years in advance sending them to a course that uses a vast database of previous years admission exam questions and answers.

The test prep courses offer a 90% acceptance rate whereas the general acceptance rate is about 10%. Being very smart is not what getting into TJ is about - its very smart kids being trained to pass.

Posted by: ^TL;DR ()
Date: April 04, 2016 02:18PM

^TL;DR

Posted by: Apple Tree ()
Date: April 04, 2016 02:34PM

eEkVu Wrote:
> My son has been in AAP since 3rd and has always
> tested in the top 98% percentile on nationally
> standardized tests. He made it to the final cut to
>

If your kid is in the top 98%, that means your spawn is smarter than only 2% of kids nationwide. Sorry to hear that your kid, like you, is severely retarded.

Posted by: WkL4y ()
Date: April 04, 2016 02:51PM

my kid test scores on the last round was 75th percentile of those that took it and he still didnt get in. Guess it was the 'Stem Passion' he lacked.

Posted by: Lefty Gonzalez ()
Date: April 04, 2016 06:30PM

My kid got in. He will be painting and cutting grass at TJ.

My wife is in as well. She is the guest chef on taco Tuesday.

Posted by: Einstein couldnt do that ()
Date: April 05, 2016 07:47AM

Being at TJ hurts your chances to get into a top tier state school unless you are the top TJ cheater and finish in the top 5% of your class. Einstein couldnt do that with the number of exam cheaters they have at TJ.

Posted by: uyhXp ()
Date: April 06, 2016 09:47AM

get over it your kid is stupid

Posted by: access to the labs ()
Date: April 08, 2016 08:54AM

You need the prep courses. Im willing to bet most of those accepted have taken prep. How are naturally smart people supposed to compete with other naturally smart people that have spent months if not years preparing for a test? They cannot. Because there are so few spaces it makes little sense to wing it if you really want to get in.

My son has AAP 4.0 average, finished in the top 25% of the 2nd round testing, is taking Honors Geometry in 8th grade and still didnt get in. He did zero prep and he still finished in the to quarter and Im sure higher than that in GPA and course load. Im not taking anything away from those that do get in but its naive to believe even the smartest young person can test better than someone that spent thousands of dollars to be trained by experts with a decade of test questions and answers. And that is the fact of TJ admissions - most of those that get in have been drilled and trained to pass that test, pad the resume and they have been trained by for-profit 'learning centers' that are test mills. The prep companies dont boast about how much kids 'learn' they boast acceptance rates.

All this asks the question - do you want your child to spend their one and only high school experience with a population of people that gamed the system? Again, its reality, Im not saying they are morally wrong to have gamed the system, but game it they did. Do you want your child pushed into an environment mostly defined but a culture where passing tests is the ultimate goal vs. learning?

In truth, my son did want to get in to get access to the labs. We offered test prep and he declined and we let him decline - its not our life its his. He is happy and has TJ in much better perspective than most adults - ' if they (TJ) dont want me then okay...' He is right, he is a fantastic student that made all but the last cut and tested in the top 480 students but just didnt have the 'STEM passion' (which is code for didnt take professional TJ Prep Courses for a couple years).

PS the kids at TJ dont stop gaming the system once they are accepted by the way.

Posted by: smarter than the rest of us ()
Date: April 11, 2016 07:05AM

very few Asians use this site as evidenced by the lack of comments on this topic - maybe they are smarter than the rest of us...

Posted by: JimboJones ()
Date: April 11, 2016 07:28PM

Do they have affirmative actions for not so smart white children? They are not capable of mentally competing with the asian kids. Smaller eyes means more room for the brain.

Posted by: GetReal ()
Date: April 11, 2016 09:48PM

Those that think Asian kids are smarter are deluding yourselves. This system is gamed completely by the feeder preps originating out of South Korea. Until they change the testing to make it unbreakable, our county kids will never get into this school. What's the demo for SK kids now? Like 75%? Nice.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: April 11, 2016 10:03PM

Saying Asians are smarter is racist.

Posted by: Ray Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2016 10:20PM

Iz gots no worries about black on black violence at TJ.

Posted by: wWbMF ()
Date: April 12, 2016 10:42AM

wWbMF

Posted by: Sum Ting Wong ()
Date: April 12, 2016 05:38PM

Any suicides?

Date: April 12, 2016 07:16PM

Cum to my cat/dog restaurant. My smart daughter will serve you cream of sum yung guy. She will be TJ honor grad. Make good cardiologist.

Posted by: cheating schools ()
Date: April 13, 2016 07:34AM

GetReal Wrote:
> Those that think Asian kids are smarter are
> deluding yourselves. This system is gamed
> completely by the feeder preps originating out of
> South Korea. Until they change the testing to make
> it unbreakable, our county kids will never get
> into this school. What's the demo for SK kids now?
> Like 75%? Nice.

+1000

Its all about going to the cheating schools. Prep programs run by adults using previous years questions and admissions essays and criteria train kids for years on how to get in. A naturally smart hard working student with excellent grades that does NOT take the cheater prep wont get in. The school has been designed for students that pay $000's and memorize answers for years. Very common for kids to start TJ prep courses in 4th grade - that gives them 2 years to memorize the answers, hone essay responses and pad the resume. Asians are not smarter they just do prep.

Posted by: TLDRy ()
Date: April 14, 2016 07:54AM

TLDR

Posted by: TJparent ()
Date: April 14, 2016 11:48PM

TJ prep is not necessary to get in, but it helps kids know what the evaluators are looking for. My kids both practiced for the test by looking at publicly available questions to practice for the essay, and by trying the standardized tests from previous years at science magnet schools in NY -- you can download them for free. They wanted to go to TJ, so they worked at practicing the necessary skills (starting in fall of 8th grade, not 4th...). Both of them were admitted (different years).

I agree that kids whose parents are focussed on getting their kids in have an advantage over those who don't, but some of these same kids are also spending many hours doing math outside the classroom, wondering when they will be challenged *in* the classroom. How should the admissions committee distinguish between kids who are bright and have little to no support at home, and those who take 4 years of prep? The only way is to have an unexpected test that aims to uncover the cognitive abilities of these kids -- and standardized tests are by their nature unable to be unexpected. So they are game-able.

To some extent, like pretty much every aspect of high school life in America, the focus and energy of the parents plays a large role in the success of the student. TJ is not that different than other schools, and far less privileged than some schools where kids have no end of private tutors to get them through their coursework. Also, TJ has no more cheaters than other schools in the area -- there will always be people who cheat, in every situation. TJ kids are academically competitive, so the hard part for some kids there is that they are always in the shadow -- only 10% can be in the top 10%. No kid should go to TJ if it's not what they want. It's a ton of work.

To those of you who didn't get in: the process is not perfect, and the decisions should not be overly interpreted. Also, most kids who don't get in are subsequently very happy they didn't go there (just as most kids who do go there are subsequently happy they are there). Outside of TJ, your child will have more opportunity to shine compared to peers, and to pursue science fairs and extracurricular science in a more serious way.

Posted by: ifandwhen ()
Date: April 15, 2016 08:11AM

TJparent Wrote:
> TJ prep is not necessary to get in, but it helps
> kids know what the evaluators are looking for. My
> kids both practiced for the test by looking at
> publicly available questions to practice for the
> essay, and by trying the standardized tests from
> previous years at science magnet schools in NY --
> you can download them for free. They wanted to go
> to TJ, so they worked at practicing the necessary
> skills (starting in fall of 8th grade, not
> 4th...). Both of them were admitted (different
> years).
>
> I agree that kids whose parents are focussed on
> getting their kids in have an advantage over those
> who don't, but some of these same kids are also
> spending many hours doing math outside the
> classroom, wondering when they will be challenged
> *in* the classroom. How should the admissions
> committee distinguish between kids who are bright
> and have little to no support at home, and those
> who take 4 years of prep? The only way is to have
> an unexpected test that aims to uncover the
> cognitive abilities of these kids -- and
> standardized tests are by their nature unable to
> be unexpected. So they are game-able.
>
> To some extent, like pretty much every aspect of
> high school life in America, the focus and energy
> of the parents plays a large role in the success
> of the student. TJ is not that different than
> other schools, and far less privileged than some
> schools where kids have no end of private tutors
> to get them through their coursework. Also, TJ has
> no more cheaters than other schools in the area --
> there will always be people who cheat, in every
> situation. TJ kids are academically competitive,
> so the hard part for some kids there is that they
> are always in the shadow -- only 10% can be in the
> top 10%. No kid should go to TJ if it's not what
> they want. It's a ton of work.
>
> To those of you who didn't get in: the process is
> not perfect, and the decisions should not be
> overly interpreted. Also, most kids who don't get
> in are subsequently very happy they didn't go
> there (just as most kids who do go there are
> subsequently happy they are there). Outside of TJ,
> your child will have more opportunity to shine
> compared to peers, and to pursue science fairs and
> extracurricular science in a more serious way.

Far too rational for this forum. Your kids are very smart to self prep and get in. They were competing with pros from for profit companies. Congrats. We elected to let our kids decide if and how they wanted to prep.

Posted by: name ()
Date: April 15, 2016 08:44PM

TJ is lame. Most of my friends didn't even apply when they had the chance. Cause no one cares what high school you go to at the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a sassy, sarcastic teenager. I post my real views on things and I don't care what you might think. :) Have a nice day!

Posted by: uGLwd ()
Date: April 16, 2016 01:05PM

uGLwd

Posted by: Reality Check Again ()
Date: January 05, 2018 09:45AM

If a kid (Asian kid, it seems) starts prepping in 4th grade by spending the extra hours doing math practice problems instead of playing or watching tv so be it. And if he parents wants to spend extra money $$$ paying for prep classes instead of going on vacation, that's fine too. What I think people are missing is that Asians are making sacrifices to reach their goals. It is not being handed to them. All this criticism about prep classes, starting young, is just jealousy disguised as moral superiority. If anything in this society was a true meritocracy, we wouldn't have any problems of cheating or scandal, but we are all old enough to realize that is not the real world. Furthermore, all the money and prep can not make a child unqualified, qualified. There has to be some amount of raw intelligence there to work with. Stop bashing the Asians with your pseudo-high ground.

Posted by: Class of 90, son is 2018 ()
Date: January 05, 2018 12:14PM

Surprised at the low number of applicants(2,800)!
What I developed attending there was better than my years in college(UVA).
Not surprised about test prep starting in 4th grade.
Many of those “learning centers” like “kumon” are created by Koreans.

Posted by: Reality Check Again ()
Date: January 05, 2018 01:21PM

Just for the sake of clarification, "Kumon" was created by a Japanese educator. It's a franchise which can be owned by anyone regardless of nationality.

Posted by: recind ()
Date: January 05, 2018 02:46PM

As usual our school for Asians accepts only those that have spent 2-3 years studying previous year's studies in expensive prep classes. Totally gamed and the Asians are the ones determined to get in.

Posted by: Not Kumon but “y3” is korean ()
Date: January 05, 2018 07:16PM

Not kumon, but one called “y3” or something.

Reality Check Again Wrote:
> Just for the sake of clarification, "Kumon" was
> created by a Japanese educator. It's a franchise
> which can be owned by anyone regardless of
> nationality.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.