HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia I-66 express toll lanes explained.
Posted by: Somali Mann ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:38PM

First of all, VDOT created a website that explains pretty much everything. You can also check the site if TOLLS are in effect, which directions u are going, and which exits u get on and off. All of it LIVE.

http://www.66expresslanes.org

Thats the site and there is also an APP, but haven't tried it.

Now whats not clear to me is, how the carpooling or the 2+ works.

From what I understand, cars with 2+ people are exempted from paying the toll, but u would need to have an EZ pass thingy. How would the overhead cameras know if there are 2+ people in the car?

And if the camers are smart, why make people who never had EZ pass before make them get one?

Can someone 'xplain that more in details about 2+ people?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia I-66 express toll lanes explained.
Posted by: Toll.Bandit ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:45PM

Search this forum for posts by a user named "Lane.Meyer" or "Lane.Myer", I can't remember exactly how he spells his name...

You will have your mind broadened as to the realities of using the Express Lanes.

Posted by: Somali Mann ()
Date: December 14, 2017 06:47PM

Thanks TB, would go do that now.

Posted by: reading readerer ()
Date: December 14, 2017 08:58PM

Somali Mann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I understand, cars with 2+ people are
> exempted from paying the toll, but u would need to
> have an EZ pass thingy. How would the overhead
> cameras know if there are 2+ people in the car?

The cameras don't. You need an EZPass Flex flavor of the EZPass device to go toll-free for HOV, which has a switch you can set to HOV mode or non-HOV. When you go under the gates they charge you (or not) based on the status of that switch.

You need some flavor of EZPass to use the lanes at all during those times.

There aren't any cameras enforcing cheaters using the switch, that's for Virginia State Police to do.

Posted by: Toll.Bandit ()
Date: December 14, 2017 10:34PM

Reading Readerer is correct. There are no cameras on the gantries of either I-66 inside the Beltway or the I-495 Express Lanes. I can't speak to the I-66 construction, but I recall the cost to install infrared cameras on the gantries on I-495 would have been slightly under another $2M. And that's for the hardware, software, support, etc...the whole of it.

Late in the contracting process Virginia ultimately decided to forego the IR cameras stating that the project was already so costly that they wanted to get the lanes open and generating revenue before going back "some years later" and retro-fitting the cameras.

Of course, the TransUrban schmucks and the Fluor Construction scrotes were quick to point out that without the IR cameras, monitoring and enforcing the proper use of the EZ-Pass Flex would be more difficult and fall exclusively on the contracted VASP troopers patrolling those lanes. The IR cameras would be able to scan for bodies in the car and then check that against the Flex setting for that same vehicle to insure compliance and proper collection of tolls. They also added that the cost to retrofit the cameras would ultimately be more expensive than of course installing them as part of the original construction contract.

Another user reported here on this forum last summer that they were driving on the I-495 Express Lanes with 2 kids in carseats in the back. They had their Flex pass in the "HOV" position and yet because the trooper saw nobody upfront in the passenger seat, and could read that the Flex was in the "HOV" position, he pulled that person over. (VASP cruisers working the Express Lanes have an EZ-Pass reading antenna array mounted on the edge of the roof.) He quickly sent them on their way after establishing the vehicle's occupancy, but this is a waste of VASP's time and resources to say nothing of the citizen's inconvenience and mutual assumption of risk for what is an unnecessary traffic stop alongside an interstate. Imagine the outrage if some drunk or someone otherwise losing control (inclement weather, mechanical failure, etc.) and plowing into that scenario?

Posted by: 6 Months and EX Pass Flex Gone ()
Date: December 14, 2017 10:43PM

If you don't set it on HOV in 6 months and ride with the extra passengers.If you don't they hit you up for a extra 10 and give you a EZ Rip your ass device with No HOV capability Every EZ Transponder should allow pay tolls or ride with HOV passengers at the drivers pleasure . More total bullshit

Try to explain it McAwful Loving Lib Dipshits

Posted by: Mike_Hunt ()
Date: December 15, 2017 08:20AM

On two channels this morning, the local news talked about yesterday's $44 maximum fee. Both mentioned a 'town hall' type of meeting between officials and drivers:

NBC4 stated that " ..there will be no 'cap' on the amount of the fee's"

FOX5 stated that " ..and officials are discussing a 'cap' of the fee's"

Posted by: Raven23 ()
Date: December 15, 2017 06:44PM

So you need that transponder at all times? Can 66 be used without transponder on non Hov times?

Posted by: P.O.ed ()
Date: December 15, 2017 06:54PM

Let me explain the tolls. The tolls are courtesy of the Virginia Democrat party, which gave the decision, via a moron governor, to a commission that they new would establish tolls. Why are you lemmings just questioning how it works instead of raising hell? For God’s sake, the damn toll was at $44 this week!

Posted by: OK, wait ()
Date: December 15, 2017 07:53PM

A month ago:

- non-HOV could not drive I-66 inside the Beltway during rush hour
- HOV could drive it, no toll

Today:
- non-HOV can drive I-66 inside the Beltway during rush hour if they pay
- HOV can drive it, no toll

So while the toll is regressive and favors the wealthy (plus those of us who can make our companies pay if we have to drive it for a meeting), nobody is actually worse off -- except, possibly, the HOV folks, who now have to contend with more traffic.

This shouldn't be taken to suggest that I like the idea, even though it's a net plus for me (see above). But most of the whining doesn't really make sense.

Posted by: Larry "Wide Stance" Craig ()
Date: December 15, 2017 08:48PM

OK, wait Wrote:
> A month ago:
>
> - non-HOV could not drive I-66 inside the Beltway
> during rush hour
> - HOV could drive it, no toll
>
> Today:
> - non-HOV can drive I-66 inside the Beltway during
> rush hour if they pay
> - HOV can drive it, no toll
>
> So while the toll is regressive and favors the
> wealthy (plus those of us who can make our
> companies pay if we have to drive it for a
> meeting), nobody is actually worse off -- except,
> possibly, the HOV folks, who now have to contend
> with more traffic.
>
> This shouldn't be taken to suggest that I like the
> idea, even though it's a net plus for me (see
> above). But most of the whining doesn't really
> make sense.

+1

Good summary.

Posted by: 4ucub ()
Date: December 16, 2017 09:22PM

P.O.ed Wrote:
> The tolls are courtesy
> of the Virginia Democrat party, which gave the
> decision, via a moron governor, to a commission
> that they new would establish tolls.

Bull shit. They are one of those instances where Democratic and Republican administrations in the state working with Republican controlled Houses of Delegates and shifting controlled Senates have worked together to screw over the Northern Virginia commuters and taxpayers. Dulles Metro Extension, Beltway Hot Lanes, I-95 Hot Lanes, now inside the Beltway I-66 Hot Lanes, and coming soon I-395 and outside the Beltway I-66 Hot lanes.

Posted by: 4muv3 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 09:31PM

Larry "Wide Stance" Craig Wrote:
> OK, wait Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A month ago:
> >
> > - non-HOV could not drive I-66 inside the
> Beltway
> > during rush hour
> > - HOV could drive it, no toll
> >
> > Today:
> > - non-HOV can drive I-66 inside the Beltway
> during
> > rush hour if they pay
> > - HOV can drive it, no toll
> >
> > So while the toll is regressive and favors the
> > wealthy (plus those of us who can make our
> > companies pay if we have to drive it for a
> > meeting), nobody is actually worse off --
> except,
> > possibly, the HOV folks, who now have to
> contend
> > with more traffic.
> >
> > This shouldn't be taken to suggest that I like
> the
> > idea, even though it's a net plus for me (see
> > above). But most of the whining doesn't really
> > make sense.
>
> +1
>
> Good summary.

Too bad its wrong. With the commencement of the I-66 HOT lanes the restricted hours on I-66 were extended, so anyone who planned their work schedule around the old I-66 restricted hours is screwed. Before I-66 HOT lanes certain hybrid vehicles were allowed to use I-66 during restricted hours. Not any more. Before I-66 HOT lanes a driver travelling to or from Dulles airport was permitted to use I-66 out to the Dulles Access Road during restricted hours. Not any more. This assumes the rules are not changed again. There is talk about extending the HOT lane restricted hours and upping the HOV requirement from HOV-2 to HOV-3.

So it is more than simply having a few more cars on I-66 during the restricted hours.

Posted by: So Many Questions W This Shit ()
Date: December 16, 2017 11:13PM

So you need that transponder at all times? Can 66 be used without transponder on non Hov times?

Yes you can use I66 inside the beltway on off HOV hours with out a transponder, but during HOV hours inside the beltway you have to have a transponder to either charge you toll for the ride, or let you ride free with 2 in the car on I66 inside the beltway

On the beltway and I95 those EZ Pass lanes are optional tool lanes, if you get in them you either pay tolls or have 3 people in the car HOV mode and yes a transponder for both ways

Giant Wegmans others have the transponders at customer service, they are 35 dollars good only for 1 car, you have to go online to establish a account to the transponder and the whole 35 then goes into your EZ pass account for 1 morning ride on I 66 inside the beltway into Arl. plus a fine for not having the full 44 dollar toll in the account. NO EZ Pass Then a ticket and pay the fine as the camera catches your tag or lose your plates

And as posted above, if you get the EZ pass Flex and don't use it in HOV mode in 6 months, they kill it

I guess you can have 1 EZ pass account and 2 or 3 transponders tied to it for different cars you own . If you cant that's more stupidity from Democrats. Don't let them bullshit you its their deal all the way and they will do their dammdest to bullshit you as they always do to cover their fails

Posted by: OK, wait ()
Date: December 17, 2017 08:04PM

4muv3 Wrote:
> Too bad its wrong. With the commencement of the
> I-66 HOT lanes the restricted hours on I-66 were
> extended, so anyone who planned their work
> schedule around the old I-66 restricted hours is
> screwed. Before I-66 HOT lanes certain hybrid
> vehicles were allowed to use I-66 during
> restricted hours. Not any more. Before I-66 HOT
> lanes a driver travelling to or from Dulles
> airport was permitted to use I-66 out to the
> Dulles Access Road during restricted hours. Not
> any more. This assumes the rules are not changed
> again. There is talk about extending the HOT lane
> restricted hours and upping the HOV requirement
> from HOV-2 to HOV-3.
>
> So it is more than simply having a few more cars
> on I-66 during the restricted hours.

Ah. Those subtleties had escaped me (since I don't drive 66 99.9% of the time!). All of them seem counterproductive and dumb. Thanks for clarifying.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.