HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax: Apt. Complexes NOT plowing the parking lot
Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:14PM

Last winter, I moved to Fairfax, and live at Archstone Monument Park. I was surpised when the apartment complex didn't do anything to get rid of the ice all over the parking lot; no salt, no plows, no day laborers shoveling, etc. I was pretty angry, so I shoveled a bit of my parking spot until I got tired. So....with this recent snow, the parking lot is once again a sheet of ice. People are sliding all over the parking lot...the cars, i mean. I thought it was the responsibility of the leasing office to ensure the parking lot is plowed and/or at least salted? Anyone have a similar problem? As if the rent this FUCKING complex is charging me isn't enough to cover a plow...What the christ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 07:15PM by gabydamage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax: Apt. Complexes NOT plowing the parking lot
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:43PM

Is that the place by Fair Oaks mall? with teh white horse out front?

Posted by: Can you read? ()
Date: December 07, 2007 04:45PM

What does your lease say?

Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: December 08, 2007 04:47PM

Nothing is on the lease regarding snow removal....But, what if someone spins out in the parking lot and hits a parked car? All because the stupid complex is too cheap to clear the snow/ice. I would think they would be partially responsible for such an accident. And, no, it's not the complex with the white horse...I think those are condos.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 12, 2007 11:40AM

While I sympathize with your argument, I wouldn't convict them if I was on the jury. You make the choice to get inside your car in bad weather... and usually one drives on private property at their own risk. Unless the apartment complex took steps that aggravated the street conditions, I don't believe they are responsible for your accident unless they have a contract with you to plow and salt.

Posted by: margie's twisted Panties ()
Date: December 12, 2007 12:09PM

When I lived at Penderbrooke it was part of the Condo Fee's that they maintained the parking lots. That means plowing and putting sand/salt down. However I dont believe apartments are under any obligation to do the same.

Posted by: Ferfux is Sorry ()
Date: December 12, 2007 05:52PM

I'm sorry. I just cant help posting as different people. I'm Ferfux most the time, but,when the troll in me comes out, I use other names. I know I need to grow up so please forgive me.

Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: December 12, 2007 06:36PM

i live across monument dr. from you, gabydamage. our management company didn't plow either, but did make a feeble attempt at throwing sand down on the most ice afflicted areas.

my only guess is there is an earliest date that the plowing company stipulates to property mngmt that which they will plow under contract. any earlier or later is a per job price (higher of course).

maybe early december is too soon to expect decent service for my $280 condo fees.

restonpeace nailed it, private property means drive at your own risk, notwithstanding negligence.

Date: December 12, 2007 10:47PM

"restonpeace nailed it"

You don't know how much I wish you meant something else by that right now...

Posted by: dirtyharry ()
Date: December 13, 2007 06:27AM

A friend of mine fell several years ago and broke her left leg, and right wrist.
Her apartment complex had received many complaints about poor snow removal.She received $90,000 in a out of court settlement.Apartment & condo complexes can be sueded such cases, it happens all the time. So can individuals that choose to not shovel the walks in front of their single family residence.

Date: December 13, 2007 06:38AM

sidewalks are not cars harry. the law is clear on sidewalk snow removal.

Posted by: OHtaxheaven ()
Date: December 13, 2007 04:26PM

I lived in Monument Park, nothing much good to say about it. I lived there in 2005, nothing has changed. The staff at the office rotate out like it is staffed by a temp agency. They took me to court, it was thrown out. unrelated to the court, I asked for them to repair a leak in my apratment, they didn't repond until I supplied them with an estimate for repair from a private contractor. It is a shame. Such a beautiful property, so mis-managed. Unfortunately makes a better bachelor pad than anything else. I am a part time bachelor, full time Dad. (no, I'm native, not a transplant form Atlanta) The only place he could play was the parking lots or dodging dog dirt on the common areas. I amnaged to rent a three bedroom house with garage near by for two hundred more than the rent for my apartment. I asked them to justify the 13% rent hike in one year, they said it was the market. Aparently people are still willing to pay $1500-1700 an month plus utilities and everything else. I'm in a house for 1900 with options for roomates!!! $1000 a month sounds good to me:)

Posted by: Sanded and Salted ()
Date: December 13, 2017 08:53PM

My parking lot is clear.

Posted by: yhxwn ()
Date: December 14, 2017 02:33AM

pay no attention to the clown

it is some julio who's girlfriend is on the maintenance committee trying to legitimize hiring only mexican friends to do un-needed labor at the cost of the renters even after they've said NO

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.