HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should I give up a 15-minute commute to a shitty job I hate for a 45+ commute to a job I'll like?
Posted by: jobjobber ()
Date: November 16, 2017 08:05PM

Currently commuting from Huntington to Franconia, takes all of 15 minutes on a bad day if I get behind all the school buses and other dipshits on S. Kings or Rt 1. But I hate the job and it's full of assholes.

Salary and benefits being equal or close: should I accept a job in Tyson's? How much worse is that commute (Alexandria - Rt. 1/Telegraph Rd/Eisenhower Ave to Rt 7 or 123 or Gallows & up to nearby the mall) going to get as the years go by?

I know I could buy an EZ-pass and pay $15 for the HOT lanes some days... is it worth it for job satisfaction? Or do I stay where I am and enjoy the fact that no matter how shitty my day is, I'm home before I have time to think about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I give up a 15-minute commute to a shitty job I hate for a 45+ commute to a job I'll like?
Posted by: wally ()
Date: November 16, 2017 08:11PM

Take the job you'll like. Seriously.

Re: Should I give up a 15-minute commute to a shitty job I hate for a 45+ commute to a job I'll like?
Posted by: Long commuter, happy employee ()
Date: November 16, 2017 09:12PM

wally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take the job you'll like. Seriously.

Speaking from experience, I agree with above.

Nearly 13 years ago, I faced the exact same dilemma—and the 45-minute (one way) commute has gotten longer with population growth.

But people who tried to dissuade me from taking what seemed (from known facts plus employee testimonials) to be the better job were wrong.

I am still so grateful to work with nice people who collaborate well and for an org with a mission that makes me feel good about what I do every day. Those of us who work spend a lot of our waking hours at our jobs; so choose one that makes you happy during those hours.

Posted by: UJYMP ()
Date: November 16, 2017 09:23PM

Tyson's is a shit hole of traffic, it is only getting worse and will continue to compound as the area grows. Tysons is the 10th largest Business District in the country and will be moving up a notch or two.

My wife works there, less than 6 miles from the house. It takes her 20-30 minutes on average to get home in the evenings and this is not even using I-495, if she used I-495 she would never get home. Getting to work tends to be better, but there are some mornings where it is 20-25 minutes.

Wait until the Christmas month and bad weather, it just gets worse.

Most places you have to pay to park, lunch options are expensive and take a long time and if you need to go anywhere at lunch, expect 90 minutes.

Tysons just sucks.

Posted by: Indeed ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:17PM

UJYMP Wrote:
> Tyson's is a shit hole of traffic, it is only
> getting worse and will continue to compound as the
> area grows. Tysons is the 10th largest Business
> District in the country and will be moving up a
> notch or two.
>
> My wife works there, less than 6 miles from the
> house. It takes her 20-30 minutes on average to
> get home in the evenings and this is not even
> using I-495, if she used I-495 she would never get
> home. Getting to work tends to be better, but
> there are some mornings where it is 20-25 minutes.
>
>
> Wait until the Christmas month and bad weather, it
> just gets worse.
>
> Most places you have to pay to park, lunch options
> are expensive and take a long time and if you need
> to go anywhere at lunch, expect 90 minutes.
>
> Tysons just sucks.

Indeed. TWENTY years ago I was working there, on Spring Hill, which then was one light away from Pike 7 Plaza (where Mr. Smith's was). A few weeks before Christmas, one of our folks went to lunch, didn't return for over two hours. When she finally turned up, we asked where she'd been. Turns out she spent 45 minutes trying to get out of that parking lot, finally gave up, parked, and walked back.

I can only imagine what it's gonna be like now, with the service roads gone. They always provided a bit of relief for the Tyson's pros who knew their way around!

Posted by: Waste of Money ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:11PM

Commuting in NOVA is not for the weak. It will age you prematurely. Figure 5 years to 1

Posted by: Common Senses ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:38AM

Take the job and move closer.

Posted by: D6HPF ()
Date: November 18, 2017 08:57AM

Common Senses Wrote:
> Take the job and move closer.

Sure, what would be more frustration is having a 10 minute walk to work that would take 25 minutes to drive. Tysons is not really a "walkable" area as it is marketed as.

You could get a 2 bedroom apartment in the VITA apartments for $3800 a month! Or you could live in the Rotunda which my friends from Fairfax Fire & Rescue is like a 3rd world country. Or heaven forbid the Adaire which is a crap place with crap residents in a crap location because you are stuck inside the Devil's Triangle of Route 7, Route 123 and Route 267 (Dulles Toll Road) you will never get in or out if this area at certain times of day. Then there is Pimmit Hills or Peachtree which again, not sure I would want to live in.

Housing in the Tysons area is not cheap an you would soon not want to live there because it is just a nightmare to drive.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.