HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Scott Ralls, President of NOVA, supports illegal immigration
Posted by: XBDPG ()
Date: September 07, 2017 05:00PM

Dear NOVA Community:

Northern Virginia Community College is home to over 700 students who attend our college under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status which was rescinded on Tuesday by President Trump under a phased out process. These students, often referred to as “Dreamers,” came to the United States as children with their parents, represent multiple national origins, are on each of our campuses, and enrolled in multiple different programs. Many have been among our most influential student leaders and impactful college contributors. They are an important part of our college community and now face a period of significant angst as they await legislative action to determine their future status.

Earlier this week, I expressed my personal support for our Dreamer students through a tweet that read, “I stand with our DREAMERS and will work to secure opportunities for them to graduate from @NOVACommCollege (i.e. Northern Virginia Community College). I want to share with you my own beliefs for making this statement, and ways in which I intend to move forward with support.

My personal beliefs on this issue are influenced by my instincts as an educator, and the feelings I felt when I was a child who frequently moved to various different towns following my parents. As an educator, I believe in the social benefits of broadly accessible educational opportunities, and I believe that our country benefits by providing both the hope and opportunity for a better life to Dreamers.

I also have tremendous empathy for our Dreamer students because as a child I moved four times before I graduated from high school because of my father’s career. Dreamers on average came to the United States at the age of six, the same age that I once moved with my family. I know from personal experience that the natural instinct of children is to be with their parents, even if they do not want to leave behind their friends and the homes that they know. In that respect, I do not believe individuals should be denied the transformative opportunity of education for following the natural instincts of children.

That is why I stand with our Dreamer students and support the statement of our Virginia Community College System Chancellor, Glenn Dubois, who yesterday said:

“I am deeply saddened to see today’s announcement regarding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) in Washington, and my thoughts quickly turn to the more than 1,000 community college students across Virginia whose future hangs in the balance as this policy debate plays out. Further, I join the chorus heard across America calling on Congress to quickly enact sensible and compassionate immigration policy.

“As I’ve said many times: Virginia’s Community Colleges exist to give everyone the opportunity to learn and develop the right skills so lives and communities are strengthened. Our faculty, staff, and students should never question if that mission includes them because it always does.

“We await further results from Washington, and guidance from the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia on what our community colleges can do as we pursue our mission and support the individuals who seek opportunity with us.”

As our Dreamer students await clarity of their future, I will advocate for Federal legislation that the American Association of Community Colleges has previously supported, that will provide a legal resolution for Dreamers to attain the opportunities of higher education and contribute to our nation as citizens. I will seek to identify non-tax funded resources that may be available, should students who began their college careers with in-state status find that they are required to pay a much higher out-of-state tuition rate. And, I will encourage our college staff to continue to seek ways to provide additional support to our students who may be facing the increased anxiety and challenges brought by these recent changes.

I respect the fact that there are those within our college community who may have different perspectives than mine on this issue, but I feel it is important to share the basis for my beliefs and actions.

Sincerely,

Scott Ralls
President

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.