HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WTOP: No AirBnBs in Fairfax County. AirBnB: Except for over 200 listed on our site
Posted by: WTOP Fake News ()
Date: September 01, 2017 05:42PM

In a stunning example of fake news, Kristi King of WTOP wrote:

WASHINGTON — Fairfax County, Virginia, is considering whether (or how) to regulate private short-term rentals, such as those facilitated by websites like Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, FlipKey and Roomarama.

Right now, short-term rentals aren’t allowed.

“The zoning ordinance does offer a bed-and-Breakfast special exception, but that requires approval from the board of supervisors,” said Donna Pesto, Fairfax County’s deputy zoning administrator. “We don’t have any of those.”

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2017/09/fairfax-regulating-airbnb-rentals/

That may be because Fairfax County charges a modest fee of $16,375.00 just to apply to create a Bed and Breakfast.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/shorttermrentals/shorttermrentals-faqs.htm

If Kristi had checked the AirBnB website, she would have found over 200 short-term rentals, with prices as low as $29 for "Amazing comfort at a great price."

This would be the same Fairfax County that looks the other way when 27 "related" illegal immigrants cram into a two-bedroom.

May be time for Fairfax to consider an ordinance for horses that have already left the barn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTOP: No AirBnBs in Fairfax County. AirBnB: Except for over 200 listed on our site
Posted by: Traveling Salesman ()
Date: September 01, 2017 05:59PM

What's your favorite AirBnB in Fairfax County?

Mine is the house in Great Falls for $1,225 a night.

Re: WTOP: No AirBnBs in Fairfax County. AirBnB: Except for over 200 listed on our site
Posted by: kbwjk ()
Date: September 01, 2017 06:43PM

> If Kristi had checked the AirBnB website, she
> would have found over 200 short-term rentals, with
> prices as low as $29 for "Amazing comfort at a
> great price."
>
> This would be the same Fairfax County that looks
> the other way when 27 "related" illegal immigrants
> cram into a two-bedroom.

Many of those who whine about the illegal rooming houses for illegal immigrants are the same ones who would view Fairfax efforts to crack down on AirBnB or regulate AirBnB operations as improper government interference. Yet the justification for regulating one is the same as the justification for regulating the other.

Posted by: Good Luck With That ()
Date: September 01, 2017 06:54PM

We have an airbnb in our neighborhood. The HOA knocked on the door one day and the tenant showed them a 31-day lease. He was gone the next day.

Posted by: not quite the same ()
Date: September 01, 2017 07:04PM

kbwjk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > If Kristi had checked the AirBnB website, she
> > would have found over 200 short-term rentals,
> with
> > prices as low as $29 for "Amazing comfort at a
> > great price."
> >
> > This would be the same Fairfax County that
> looks
> > the other way when 27 "related" illegal
> immigrants
> > cram into a two-bedroom.
>
> Many of those who whine about the illegal rooming
> houses for illegal immigrants are the same ones
> who would view Fairfax efforts to crack down on
> AirBnB or regulate AirBnB operations as improper
> government interference. Yet the justification
> for regulating one is the same as the
> justification for regulating the other.

Short term rentals are quite different from stuffing 20 people in 1 house.

I'll take an airbnb rental home next to me over an illegal flop house any day. You have to maintain a home reasonably well to have it on airbnb, and as a renter you have to be respectful in order to keep your feedback positive.

Posted by: The same ()
Date: September 01, 2017 07:30PM

Bull shit. Offer a low rate and people will stay there even if it is less than optimal. Safety issues can be just as much a concern for short term renters as they are for those crammed into overcrowded homes and apartments. Neighbors can be adversely affected from your short term rental activity, especially if done on a constant basis.

Posted by: Queen Sharon B ()
Date: September 01, 2017 07:31PM

I would allow them if and only if I can tax all revenue at about 50%.

Posted by: Uber Gigilo ()
Date: September 02, 2017 05:54AM

No one in any decent neighborhood wants transient stays at a house.
I owned multiple houses and would rent each room to someone I found off Craigslist. Each room would b $400-$450/ month with $1600 total every month.
My mortgage was $1200.

The crafty neighbors would befriend the "new guys" just to collide on ways to get rid of them.

Now, as an older homeowner, I feel bad for all the problems I caused for the other neighbors.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.