HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
5 Things to Know About Fireworks in Fairfax County
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: July 02, 2017 11:13AM

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news2/5-things-to-know-about-fireworks/

The Fourth of July would not be the same without those breathtaking fireworks.

However, those beautiful fireworks can turn your holiday into a tragedy within seconds. Many people are injured each year in Fairfax County due to fireworks. Some are injured seriously and left with permanent damage.

We want you and your family/friends to celebrate safely, so here are some tips:

1.) Illegal Fireworks
Many fireworks are not available in Northern Virginia because they are illegal. Firecrackers, cherry bombs and skyrockets are just a few examples of fireworks which may be purchased in other areas, but are illegal here. Since even the possession of unapproved fireworks is prohibited in Fairfax County, such fireworks will be confiscated and you can be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of a $2,500 fine and/or one year in jail.

Any firework, which explodes, emits a flame or sparks higher than 12 feet, or performs as a projectile is prohibited by the Fairfax County Fire Prevention Code.

View List of 2017 Permissible Fireworks

2.) Watch What Happens
Watch this demonstration video to see the harm and damage (to watermelons and mannequins!) from errant or poorly placed fireworks:

3.) Keep a Safe Distance
If you’re setting off legal fireworks, keep all bystanders at least 25 feet away and light only one firework at a time.

More Safety Tips From the Fire and Rescue Department

4.) The Danger of Sparklers
Maybe you consider sparklers innocent and safe, but sparklers actually account for the majority of injuries. Pieces can break off and burn bystanders. Young children should not use sparklers because they can reach a temperature as high as 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. The video above shows some examples of mannequins quickly burning due to a sparkler.

5.) Be Considerate
Some people, including young children, elderly people and veterans, don’t like the loud sounds and bangs from fireworks. Pets aren’t usually fans, either. Think about those people and furry pals as you plan to celebrate — or you can skip your own fireworks and attend a celebration at Lake Fairfax (Reston) or Lorton on July 1, or in McLean on July 4.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 Things to Know About Fireworks in Fairfax County
Posted by: WVJMB ()
Date: July 04, 2017 10:43AM

6. If your neighborhood has a lot of trees, as mine does, the neighborhood association may be even stricter than the county ordinance. Here, even sparklers cannot be used within the neighborhood.

Posted by: and another thing ()
Date: July 04, 2017 04:06PM

Be considerate of your neighbors that work the early morning hours. My neighbors last night were shooting off fireworks till almost 11:30pm and I had to get up at 4:00am today for work. Damn near fell asleep at my desk today.

Posted by: Sparky.McBoomy ()
Date: July 04, 2017 04:49PM

10 acres...I shoot what I want, when I want...FCPD ain't done shit to us in 63 years of ownership/residency.

Posted by: It doesn't matter ()
Date: July 04, 2017 07:28PM

7. It doesn't matter if neighbors are shooting barrages of illegal fireworks that are landing on your roof or woods. Fairfax County police will never come and issue a citation. Never.

Posted by: Boom - Boom, Out go the lights ()
Date: July 04, 2017 08:31PM

8. Stay away from any Fairfax County sponsored fireworks display. Remember a few years back when many people were injured at a local high school display?

Posted by: Fa Kinae ()
Date: July 05, 2017 05:04AM

It doesn't matter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 7. It doesn't matter if neighbors are shooting
> barrages of illegal fireworks that are landing on
> your roof or woods. Fairfax County police will
> never come and issue a citation. Never.

7a. Never EVER.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.