HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
"Good Fortune" grand opening in centreville
Posted by: good fortune ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:29AM

For those that love super fresh produce, fruits and seafood, the new oriental store "Good fortune" opened on Friday on Westfields Blvd. We went to check it out and the store looks great, and they must carry every single brand of apples, oranges, grapes that are grown. The fruits and veggies are literally fresh off the vine or out of the ground and the prices are dirt cheap. A head of iceberg lettuce cost .48 cents compared to $1.99 at Giant. The variety of seafood just amazed me, not to mention the size of some of the stuff. They have these crabs and lobsters that look like they've been on mass doses of steroids, I've never seen anything like it. The back of the store where all the seafood is located, is designed so that these gigantic "Tilapia" swim in super long tanks below all the other fresh seafood which sits in iced steel containers above the Tilapia. Its very impressive and again super fresh. They have every type of food imaginable, that alot of people would never even consider eating, just every single part of the animal you could think of. Its very fascinating, I felt like I was in another Country for sure. The seafood is well priced as well. I found that the most expensive foods were actually all the American foods, which were comparable in cost to Giant, but the fruits, veggies, seafood and oriental foods were very well priced. The have a deli and carry the same brands as Giant, such as "boars head", and they too are much cheaper than giant for example the "boars head" hard salami is $6.99 per pound compared to $8.99 @ giant.

I just hope they stay in business longer than the last oriental store that was there, although the last store had run into some legal issues which shut them down. It certainly wasnt a issue with staying busy because they were always packed.. oh, they also have a food court, but good luck reading what is being served as its all written in a different language. Its buffet style.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Good Fortune" grand opening in centreville
Posted by: I Thought ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:37AM

When seeing the subject line here, I was sure that "Good Fortune" was yet another Asian rub-n-tug in that area.

Posted by: Fliedlice ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:50AM

OP do you have the address?

Posted by: good fortune ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:21AM

5111 Westfields blvd, Centreville Va 20120. Its in the Sully Station Plaza.

Posted by: Alison ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:33AM

It's located where Safeway used to be, in the same shopping center as Ace Hardware and near the Centreville Police Station. This will definitely give Giant a run for their money but it doesn't compare to Lotte Plaza in Chantilly, Lotte is much bigger. There used to be an Asian grocery store in Centreville off Rt 28 but they closed up, Asian stores are SO MUCH cheaper and offer things you won't find anywhere like exotic fruits/veggies and REALLY fresh fish.

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:47AM

A lot of the lettuce is bad though. It's best to go when they put out the new shipment, usually on Friday nights.

Posted by: eMn6b ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:32AM

Can Americans shop there? I mean, white people.

Posted by: here we go again ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:55AM

Will it stink as bad its predecessor there?, the last Asian market at the same location smelled like a fisherman's wharf. We tried it once and almost puked.

Posted by: truthguyyeahh ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:03PM

OP has a vested stake in the success of the joint....or works for the marketing dept.

Date: March 30, 2014 12:05PM

FWIW, there's going to be a Good Fortune supermarket opening up in Eden Center also.

There was a sign long ago saying coming in 2013, but probably permit issues. Skeleton of the building seems almost done. Not sure how they will manage the marking situation, although they pushed back the façade of the building way back to align with the rest of the strip mall.

Posted by: why racist ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:37PM

"Oriental" is a racist term, you are supposed to say "Asian".

Posted by: Good fortune ()
Date: March 30, 2014 02:09PM

Oh how wrong you are..... I am simply a person that lives across the street from the store and have waited a long time for this place to open so I can get my hands on all the fresh fruits and veggies. I have absolutely nothing to do with the marketing nor am I invested. I just happen to love the prices as well as the many different types of food that the regular grocery stores would never think of carrying.

An answer to the question about the store smelling like a fish market..... yes it does smell, but you adjust and the pay off is super fresh food.

To each his own with the opinion on "oriental" being a racist word, I beg to differ on your thinking this. Oriental/Asian it's all the same. I can think of much worse words that would define racism when referring to this store and "oriental" isn't even close to being on the list.

Posted by: Not a Chinaman's Chance! ()
Date: March 30, 2014 02:20PM

why racist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Oriental" is a racist term, you are supposed to
> say "Asian".

I call them gooks, only occasionally using the term slope or chink.

So the area rugs in my house are Asian carpets?

Posted by: get your FONZ card out ()
Date: March 30, 2014 04:05PM

Good fortune Wrote:
> Oh how wrong you are..... I am simply a person
> that lives across the street from the store and
> have waited a long time for this place to open so
> I can get my hands on all the fresh fruits and
> veggies. I have absolutely nothing to do with the
> marketing nor am I invested. I just happen to
> love the prices as well as the many different
> types of food that the regular grocery stores
> would never think of carrying.
>
> An answer to the question about the store smelling
> like a fish market..... yes it does smell, but you
> adjust and the pay off is super fresh food.
>
> To each his own with the opinion on "oriental"
> being a racist word, I beg to differ on your
> thinking this. Oriental/Asian it's all the same. I
> can think of much worse words that would define
> racism when referring to this store and "oriental"
> isn't even close to being on the list.

I don't have to have anything that fresh to see it swimming or crawling around before I buy it

Posted by: weird ()
Date: March 30, 2014 04:38PM

I went there on opening day 1. it smell horrible, like someone had died 2. The floor was very dirty 3. There was nasty things all around like salted jelly fish 4. I can almost guarantee they are going to get shut down within a year, because it is not clean and it looks like an aquarium in there. 5. There were people walking around who don't speak any English and decide to stand in the way or walk very slowly

Posted by: Smells Like Rotting Tuna ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:08PM

Good fortune Wrote:
> > An answer to the question about the store smelling
> like a fish market..... yes it does smell, but you
> adjust and the pay off is super fresh food.

The smell is because Oriental cultures, women in particular, don't hold personal hygiene in very high regard. If the women working there would cleanse their crotches on a regular basis, the store would not reek as it does.
Attachments:
Korean Women.jpg

Posted by: Sum Ding Wong ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:17PM

Smells Like Rotting Tuna Wrote:
> Good fortune Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > An answer to the question about the store
> smelling
> > like a fish market..... yes it does smell, but
> you
> > adjust and the pay off is super fresh food.
>
> The smell is because Oriental cultures, women in
> particular, don't hold personal hygiene in very
> high regard. If the women working there would
> cleanse their crotches on a regular basis, the
> store would not reek as it does.
Attachments:
That’s Racist Asian.gif

Posted by: But What If... ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:34PM

Is it racist if it's true?

Posted by: Drunkard ()
Date: March 30, 2014 08:48PM

Do they sell Franzia there?

Date: March 30, 2014 08:55PM

weird Wrote:
> I went there on opening day 1. it smell horrible,
> like someone had died 2. The floor was very dirty
> 3. There was nasty things all around like salted
> jelly fish 4. I can almost guarantee they are
> going to get shut down within a year, because it
> is not clean and it looks like an aquarium in
> there. 5. There were people walking around who
> don't speak any English and decide to stand in the
> way or walk very slowly

Not true.

Great wall in Merrifield is much worse than what you just described, and it's been in business for over 8 years. In fact, it survived a lawsuit that charged it for selling turtles and frogs.

Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:17AM

here we go again Wrote:
> Will it stink as bad its predecessor there?, the
> last Asian market at the same location smelled
> like a fisherman's wharf. We tried it once and
> almost puked.

They all smell like that -- they open-air sell raw fish.

Posted by: like2eat@theY ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:20AM

Attachments:
horyshet.jpg

Posted by: Fulltime Eater ()
Date: March 31, 2014 04:56PM

here we go again Wrote:
> Will it stink as bad its predecessor there?, the
> last Asian market at the same location smelled
> like a fisherman's wharf. We tried it once and
> almost puked.

I just got back from there - the place "smelled" like Giant on Stone Road. The post somewhere above saying "dirty", "stinky", etc is simply a lie. Not only was the place clean, it had multiple workers roaming around actively sweeping, etc (3-ish PM).

In fact, I was SURPRISED at the lack of standard asian market smell - they have either done their homework on what is and isn't appealing to the general population (the parent company is huge) or it'll simply take some time to develop the "ambiance" caused by dried squid and lots of interesting spices.

They had a TON of food items on the shelves - so much I don't know how they plan to sell it all, unless they can ship it to another store before expiration.

The lobster tank was outrageously full - REALLY full. I mean =REALLY FULL=. If you like lobster, I'd bet they're going to have a sale soon.

I wish the store total success - we need something like this to buy milk, etc and the added benefit of ridiculously fresh and inexpensive veggies is a treat. I do not believe their meat selection can last - you have to see their butcher area to understand.

The last store in this place went out of business in, like, a total of only 6 months of being open - crazy. But it actually didn't have many people entering it - not at ALL unlike the previous totally-nonbusy Safeway. Right now THIS store seems to have some pretty good traffic, even though the Sully Station Shopping Center itself looks like it was designed to discourage customers - hard to enter, impossible to see the full set of stores because of its convex shape.

=========

I think the new store should have all its employees park in the spaces in front of the store to give the impression of popularity that is so necessary with such things - they can move to the side lot when the business is solidly in place.

And the Food Court - looks just like Great Wall on Gallows - should have ALL the food labelings in English FIRST, with Chinese et al added - right now the labelings are pretty much all Chinese (though, of course, you can see the food that's being labeled). I do not know if the Food Court is part of the grocery store - the grocery store has good readable labels in English etc.

Posted by: No Coolies Need Apply ()
Date: April 01, 2014 05:27PM

Fulltime Eater Wrote:
> I just got back from there - the place "smelled"
> like Giant on Stone Road. The post somewhere above
> saying "dirty", "stinky", etc is simply a lie. Not
> only was the place clean, it had multiple workers
> roaming around actively sweeping, etc (3-ish PM).

> And the Food Court - looks just like Great Wall on
> Gallows - should have ALL the food labelings in
> English FIRST, with Chinese et al added - right
> now the labelings are pretty much all Chinese
> (though, of course, you can see the food that's
> being labeled). I do not know if the Food Court is
> part of the grocery store - the grocery store has
> good readable labels in English etc.

It still smells like rotting tuna from the workers.

And label in English only! If you like Chinese, go back to China as there's a whole fucking country with billions who will converse with you in that babble!
Attachments:
75b7dca370ebc1c5_smelly-foods.jpg

Posted by: Silkies15 ()
Date: April 07, 2014 11:04AM

Shopped once, But would not go back for shopping any more! The produce are not A quality~!! e.g., Green beans are tough, vegetables are old with yellow spots on the leaves… Now, just going to through them away.

Posted by: Silkies15 ()
Date: April 07, 2014 11:12AM

A lot of produce is bad!! Well, I decide to choose Lotte Plaza…!

Posted by: Sully Station resident ()
Date: April 09, 2014 11:28AM

I am surprised by the hostile attitude many of you seem to have toward this Chinese grocery store. I would think peoples' attitudes would be more welcoming in such a diverse setting as Centreville. Alas.

I shopped at Good Fortune on the opening day and was very pleased with the offerings. Yes, it does have a slight odor (similar to the old GrandMart at 28 and 29), but that is to be expected with their large fresh seafood section. I do not think it is a sign of uncleanliness. Those crabs in the tanks are monsters!

The produce selection is excellent. As with many Asian grocery stores you might have to do a little picking over to get the best items, but the prices are very good.

I will still do the bulk of my shopping at Wegman's, but I am glad to have this grocery store nearby, too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.