HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dog Neglect?
Posted by: James Anderson ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:33PM

Just looking for some insight into this situation, not sure if it warrants action or if I'm being overly concerned. There is a small, young (Pomeranian breed I believe), very cute dog who last year I used to see on walks in our neighborhood frequently. The past few months however is has been kept in their small townhome fenced back yard frequently most of the day and night. A few neighbor friends that live nearby this dog's home expressed concerned that about it being left out, regardless of weather (rain, cold, heat). Now it's the beginning of May and have not had any extreme weather days since this has been brought to my attention (temp has ranged from mid 50's to mid 80's but staying mostly between 60-80 degrees. The dog seems in good health, but unsure of what changed from taking the dog out to just leaving it out back all the time. They do have an upper deck so during rain there would presumably be some shelter close to the house.

I encourage dogs being able to be outdoors a large amount of time but would personally always allow a way for it to come back inside if it wanted, which this is not the case here. Is this dog neglect? Am I being overly concerned? I am wondering if I will have to wait until the temperatures begin to reach the high 80s and 90s to where the dog would be unable to safely regulate it's own body temperature to notify someone. If this was just a few hours I wouldn't be concerned but based on concerned neighbors I would say between 8am-12pm it's outside all or most of the time, perhaps even overnight. Your thoughts and insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dog Neglect?
Posted by: Dog abusers need to die ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:40PM

Call the County and report those pieces of shit before its too late.

Posted by: Dog Expert ()
Date: May 03, 2017 11:04PM

Mind your own business. Poms are raised as bait dogs for the fighters and need lots of time in the weather to toughen up.

Most animal rescue leagues oppose the use of doggie doors to allow dogs to freely reenter houses.

So unless the dog is barking after 10 pm, this is none of your business.

Posted by: Chimp out monitor ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:11AM

They can't get a doggie door because a nigger may come through the hole. So there's that.

They are probably done with the dog and just leave it out all the time. At some point, a hawk will probably get it.

Posted by: 6bmMD ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:56AM

Report it to an animal rescue group. They can ask the owner if they want to get rid of the dog, and give it up for adoption. The original owner may have died and the rest of the renters or family don't care to keep it as "a loved part of the family." Or the person who originally took care of it may have gotten sick and gone to a care facility and could no longer take care of the dog--no one else there who wants to continue with it.

Turn it in and at best the new owners will be educated as to how east it would be to take care of the situation by giving it up for fostering or renewal of owner to someone else.

At worse, they will admit they can no longer care for it and don't care about its welfare.

Posted by: What's the harm in asking them? ()
Date: May 04, 2017 10:04AM

Maybe there's something wrong with the owner or the dog that prevent it from being walked like it used to be. Have you ever thought about asking the owner?

Posted by: justreport ()
Date: May 04, 2017 03:45PM

Just report it anonymously online so they can check in.

Posted by: James Anderson ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:51PM

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of what everyone has said has crossed my mind, maybe the original owner died, got sick or moved. The dog hardly ever barks but a few times had been barking past midnight. In those instances other neighbors did go to their door and despite there obviously being someone home no one answered those nights or the next day, so polite inquiries went unfulfilled.

Also I think even when approaching neighbors politely about something that sometimes they be crazy and it makes you a target for them. I could usually care less what any of my neighbors do with the exception of animal neglect or cruelty. Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I suppose reporting anonymously to an animal rescue group or the county would be the best bet if the situation continues, especially as the weather gets warmer. Thanks again.

Posted by: My Best Advice ()
Date: May 04, 2017 09:58PM

James Anderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the feedback. A lot of what everyone
> has said has crossed my mind, maybe the original
> owner died, got sick or moved. The dog hardly ever
> barks but a few times had been barking past
> midnight. In those instances other neighbors did
> go to their door and despite there obviously being
> someone home no one answered those nights or the
> next day, so polite inquiries went unfulfilled.
>
> Also I think even when approaching neighbors
> politely about something that sometimes they be
> crazy and it makes you a target for them. I could
> usually care less what any of my neighbors do with
> the exception of animal neglect or cruelty. Thanks
> for the thoughts everyone, I suppose reporting
> anonymously to an animal rescue group or the
> county would be the best bet if the situation
> continues, especially as the weather gets warmer.
> Thanks again.

I would go on FFXU and ask all the basement dwelling retards what your best option is. I would also ask on here any personal life or investment advice as this site is an awesome pool of knowledge about anything you need!

Posted by: wahtt ()
Date: May 07, 2017 07:57AM

If it's only out four hours like you say, I don't think it's a concern.

Posted by: Pom ()
Date: May 08, 2017 03:37AM

wahtt Wrote:
> If it's only out four hours like you say, I don't
> think it's a concern.

Poms are too small to be left that long. Toy breeds are meant for indoors. A bigger animal might get to them.

Posted by: wahtt ()
Date: May 08, 2017 10:43AM

Pom Wrote:
> wahtt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If it's only out four hours like you say, I don't
> > think it's a concern.
>
> Poms are too small to be left that long. Toy
> breeds are meant for indoors. A bigger animal
> might get to them.

Perhaps, but 8a to noon in a fenced yard just doesn't seem to rise the level of abuse. I doubt the cops would bother responding to that, may even get a shrug from animal rights folks as long as the dog was otherwise sheltered and fed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.