HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Please explain me this (re: Jobs)
Posted by: studying crooks ()
Date: April 24, 2017 09:52AM

Why do they want you to take a drug test for shitty grunt work (meaning things like Walmart, manual labor such as Labor ready, etc) yet people working in an office/corporate job are RARELY tested (Unless it's government contracted).

We will pay you $8 an hour for this part-time 20 hour a week job and you have to work when we tell you to open-close (no chance to work a 2nd job), no benefits, but you have to piss in this cup and no matter your qualifications, if you fail no job for you! If you speak up or complain, you're fired!

Don't they have literally 100's of workers and have to pay to piss test everyone- doesn't that get expensive quick @$50 a pop (lab costs i heard) and half will still fail???

OR....

We will pay you $60k a year to push these papers for us, one mistake can cost the company millions, but hey we trust you (aka since you are my cousin and got hired thru nepotism) so you're hired! NO background/drug test/driving record check done at ALL. Person could have embezzled money on their last job, new job likely won't find out.

I have heard of people smoking a joint 6 weeks ago and still failing yet those on heroin/meth/coke can pass in 2-3 days....so those that work on wall street can do coke friday and saturday, abstain sunday and pass their test monday...

Just trying to figure this out here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please explain me this (re: Jobs)
Posted by: Gruntled ()
Date: April 24, 2017 10:21AM

Maybe it has something to do with how easy it is to steal. I've never been a drug addict, so I don't know how easy it is to stay off of heroin/meth/coke for 2-3 days.

In a white-collar job, you probably have more checks and balances to keep you in line, and you aren't typically dealing with cash or large amounts of merchandise. Not so if you work at Walmart or some other retailer, where they typically don't have enough security to watch every employee's exit.

I couldn't tell you the demographics of drug use, so I can't compare usage statistics between blue and white-collar jobs. The companies I've worked for have only a few drug users that I know of (I know because they got fired when caught or reported an arrest, and the job required maintaining a secret clearance). I've never worked for a company that required a piss test.

Posted by: My employees steal me blind! ()
Date: April 24, 2017 10:27AM

That's why I have to keep increasing my costs to people who shop at my stores.

Posted by: H3CYy ()
Date: April 24, 2017 10:35AM

I'm white collar, and over nearly thirty years of working various places, I much prefer employers with zero-tolerance policies that back it up with testing.

Nobody should ever have to put up with users' typical bullshit in the workplace.

Posted by: Bacciami il culo ()
Date: April 24, 2017 10:39AM

That's it. No cash in the white collar jobs. In the grunt jobs, there's cash or immediate damage to merchandise. If you can't steal cash to support a habit, you work on the dock, you steal merchandise and sell it, or you come to work high and bash up the goods.

Sure, you come to your white collar job high and you make a typo that costs the company millions, but nobody thinks of that.

Posted by: Simpleton ()
Date: April 24, 2017 01:34PM

Because people who work in higher paying jobs are more trust worthy.

Posted by: 7htKT ()
Date: April 24, 2017 05:41PM

Simpleton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because people who work in higher paying jobs are
> more trust worthy.

I kinda can see your point- all the middle eastern (muslim?) people I see working at retail stores now (my local grocery store/best buy/walmart/etc has a FLOOD of them working and not many whites or blacks are seen except in management.

To counter though- the person who previously held an office job, has a degree, but has to work retail for the time being to get their rent paid until they get another office job again is not to be trusted?

Just saying not EVERYONE working retail is a scumbag. Some are there not because they want to be, but because it pays the bills or they are in school and can't commit to a monday-friday 9-5 schedule.

Posted by: Choices ()
Date: April 24, 2017 05:47PM

Their company - Their rules.

I see you have 3 choices:

1. Piss in the bottle and stay away from drugs.

2. Refuse the drug test and remain unemployed.

3. Start your own company, and run it as you please.

Posted by: nog hauler rider ()
Date: April 24, 2017 06:50PM

The point is just to "weed out" the niggers and stoners.

Posted by: AFL-CIO ()
Date: April 25, 2017 12:43AM

studying crooks Wrote:
> Why do they want you to take a drug test for
> shitty grunt work (meaning things like Walmart,
> manual labor such as Labor ready, etc) yet people
> working in an office/corporate job are RARELY
> tested (Unless it's government contracted).
>
> We will pay you $8 an hour for this part-time 20
> hour a week job and you have to work when we tell
> you to open-close (no chance to work a 2nd job),
> no benefits, but you have to piss in this cup and
> no matter your qualifications, if you fail no job
> for you! If you speak up or complain, you're
> fired!
>
> Don't they have literally 100's of workers and
> have to pay to piss test everyone- doesn't that
> get expensive quick @$50 a pop (lab costs i heard)
> and half will still fail???
>
>
>
> OR....
>
> We will pay you $60k a year to push these papers
> for us, one mistake can cost the company millions,
> but hey we trust you (aka since you are my cousin
> and got hired thru nepotism) so you're hired! NO
> background/drug test/driving record check done at
> ALL. Person could have embezzled money on their
> last job, new job likely won't find out.
>
>
> I have heard of people smoking a joint 6 weeks ago
> and still failing yet those on heroin/meth/coke
> can pass in 2-3 days....so those that work on wall
> street can do coke friday and saturday, abstain
> sunday and pass their test monday...
>
> Just trying to figure this out here.

It's about corporate liability insurance. Companies won't sell policies to employers who do not require testing when public or worker safety may be at risk.

Date: April 25, 2017 08:24AM

My employees steal me blind! Wrote:
> That's why I have to keep increasing my costs to
> people who shop at my stores.

...I get that, but what does that have to do with a drug test? So you're saying the guy who just smoked a joint at a party is going to automatically steal? I'd be more worried about the hard drug users....they are the ones who NEED their drug of choice and will rob their mother to get well again. A weed user who runs out, they shrug and move on until they have more cash, the addiction is mental, not physical as it is with hard drugs.

Increase your security- better cameras, make employees lock all personal belongings in their lockers so they don't have a large purse or bag to walk around and steal with, offer cash rewards for those that report their fellow employees stealing, RFID tag EVERYTHING even the bottles of water and have someone posted by the door to check any alarms off...issue employees fitted pants with no pockets and sleek polo shirts so they have nowhere to hide stuff (seen this one too, clever!) you as the employer has several options here.

but then again- you will whine it costs too much and would have to raise prices AGAIN because you are too cheap to have proper security.

If i knew I had $10 million of merchandise every year to sell, and $500,000 walked out the door every year....I'd invest $250,000 which should be plenty to deter further theft.

I know an unarmed guard from a major security company in VA costs about $20-25 an hour and the company makes sure there is someone there at the hours you specify.

A 4-camera color nightvision wireless recording system can be had on Amazon for $400. click here to see for yourself you could even use NEST cameras in a pinch. Plenty of options, go wired to bring the cost down a bit. Order it as a person, the minute you say "business" they will buy the same kit on amazon and charge you the shop owner $800 for it. If my 12 year old helped me set it up in my own home you have no excuse.

Just throwing this out there, I understand employees steal, there is always one "bad apple" on every crew, but if you do nothing to prevent it, you can only blame YOURSELF.

And for those that say the drug test is to weed out blacks....welp you are catching white people in that dragnet as well, just as many whites use marijuana as blacks, they are just more discreet about it. If one can't pass that is on the person themselves, not just because of their skin color, just saying.

/steps off soapbox

Date: April 25, 2017 08:26AM

AFL-CIO Wrote:
> studying crooks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why do they want you to take a drug test for
> > shitty grunt work (meaning things like Walmart,
> > manual labor such as Labor ready, etc) yet
> people
> > working in an office/corporate job are RARELY
> > tested (Unless it's government contracted).
> >
> >
>
> It's about corporate liability insurance.
> Companies won't sell policies to employers who do
> not require testing when public or worker safety
> may be at risk.

...thank you, this does make sense to me. So the insurance and drug testing industries came together and made this up to be able to charge more...the business HAS to have insurance so in order to buy it they HAVE to get everyone drugtested. Smart for the insurance company and quest labs or whatever, the employer has to eat the cost for the tests, and they recoup some money by paying the desperate employee as close to minimum wage as possible, all in the name of shareholder profit.

Thanks again I did not think of this.

Posted by: larree ()
Date: April 25, 2017 09:07PM

Some companies test everyone. I work for a Govt contractor and make around $175k and yes I had to pass a drug test before I could start. So did my boss.

Posted by: Real Reason ()
Date: April 25, 2017 09:20PM

The real reason is workers comp insurance. Much lower injury rates at places that drug test. As much as 30-40 percent fewer accidents.

Posted by: Business Owner ()
Date: April 25, 2017 10:36PM

We drug test all employees. Including professionals. Including owners. Driving is a requirement for all company employees, and the last thing we want is for some employee to get into an accident and then find out the employee was drunk or high. We get a break on our liability insurance for doing this.

Also while low level employees may be more likely to cause problems when using drugs, higher level employees have access to more money and assets, so the potential losses from them are greater. We can afford having some low level employee empty petty cash far easier than we can having the bookkeeper loot the company for tens of thousands of dollars before her crime is uncovered. And we owners have even more ability to cause mischief.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.