HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lee District Basketball Association needs to be fired
Posted by: Concerned Bball Parent ()
Date: February 10, 2012 09:41AM

LDBA - Lee District Basketball Association is supposed to be a community organization for neighborhood boys and girls interested in playing basketball. In recent years the girls division has been allowed to deteriorate to the point where it no longer exists. The board does not have daughters interested in playing so they could care less about that side of the program. I know of several AAU and high school coaches who offered to run clinics and help coach to encourage interest from girls in the community. All of those requests were either rejected our unanswered. Registration fees have increased over the last 2 years to compensate for the lack of girls fees. The person running the league as an adminstrator gets paid and so does her friend that does the referee scheduling. Enough background my question is where would you voice a complaint about this? The board will not listen and their lack of action has caused the girls league to fall apart. They are a nonprofit organization receiving county funds. Clearly this is a title 9 violation. Girls basketball across the county has improved and more and more are playing the sport. Why should the residents of the Franconia area have to go to Mount Vernon or Springfield to play when some of these people are getting paid to run LDBA into the ground. How do we get rid of them. I know people who will do it for free.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lee District Basketball Association needs to be fired
Posted by: maine ()
Date: February 10, 2012 03:36PM

Start another league and volunteer your time. I have never heard of youth sports leagues paying adult administrators.

Posted by: coach ()
Date: February 11, 2012 02:03PM

We used to play there but after it went to two age groups for girls 7-10 and 11&up we went to play for Cardinal AAU. It's a lot more expensive. They have 2 or 3 teams at every age group so at least my girls can play with their own age. I think the admin fee was something like $500 a month that she is paid year round.

Posted by: @ Maine ()
Date: February 11, 2012 02:33PM

CYA now has a well paid executive.

Posted by: ???$$$ ()
Date: February 16, 2012 11:17PM

I was a referee for them but it took months after the season to get paid. It was ridiculous. After years of service the select commissioner stepped down. Don't know the full story on that one. Something over money. If you start a new league please pay the refs on time.

Posted by: harbor53 ()
Date: February 17, 2012 12:50PM

LDBA is a terrible league. It is very poorly administered and very secretive. Someone is making $$. The players have dropped to about 250 kids when 5 years ago there were close to 600, no girls leagues at all now. There is a reason the numbers keep decreasing. It should be reported to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors; Jeff McKay is the rep for the Lee District area. Also, contact Fairfax County Parks and Recreation. In most places, youth sports organizations (YSOs) don't own their own facilities; they use taxpayer-funded fields, diamonds, tracks, pools, and courts instead. In order to use them they have to obtain permits. This makes them subject to public oversight by the permit-issuing authority, County of Fairfax.

http://www.momsteam.com/successful-parenting/missing-gate-receipts-reminder-need-oversight-youth-sports-organizations

Posted by: H20Fan ()
Date: February 17, 2012 01:47PM

Lee-Mount Vernon Sports Club (LMVSC) is up and coming with its basketball program, to compliment its solid reputation for soccer. LMVSC is in the process of wrapping up their 3rd basketball season. It offers a growing girls program, and travel/select teams at various ages for boys and girls. LMVSC also puts a cap on the registration fee for families with multiple players.

Posted by: Fairfax Resident ()
Date: February 17, 2012 06:50PM

???$$$ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was a referee for them but it took months after
> the season to get paid. It was ridiculous.
> After years of service the select commissioner
> stepped down. Don't know the full story on that
> one. Something over money. If you start a new
> league please pay the refs on time.

Word on the street has it the league commissioner of LDBA had some IRS trouble by pocketing some of the money and not claiming those monies on taxes.

Posted by: SMDH ()
Date: February 17, 2012 09:50PM

It wasn't the commissioner, it was the league's administrator that supposedly had some IRS issues.

Posted by: WTF!!! ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:21PM

Why should the kids from the Lee District area have to go to Mount Vernon for basketball? I haven't heard that word on the street but if it's true why is she still there? I wonder if the rest of the board knows. Maybe taking this to the county supervisor is the best thing to do. I don't mind someone getting paid to run a league as long as it's known to everyone that part of your fee goes to that. If you charge $125 a player and $10 goes to the administrator that seems fair. But at LDBA all they did was raise the price of registration every year so the fee to the admin running the league could stay the same. And that's wrong. If they had 600 and now 250 every single one of them needs to be fired.

Posted by: Ben Willey ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:13PM

I work with LMVSC. We have no administrators, offcers, or employees of any type (absolutely none) who are paid based on a percentage of registrations or registration fees. Our administrator salaries have not been increased a penny in more than three years. I suspect you have good intentions and maybe some questions you would like to have answered, but the facts of your posting are just plain wrong (unless I am misundertanding you).

Feel free to contact me. I will be glad to talk with you, explain what ever might be bothering you, or meet with you and answer any questions you might have. I know all the people in the LMVSC administration. They are, to a person, fine people striving to do top rate work to keep soccer and basketball available for the kids who play on all the teams. There really are no hidden agendas.

Posted by: Maine ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:54PM

Youth sports leagues should be run by non-paid volunteers. Did the assocation's 501(c)(3) application reflect that a league administrator would be paid?

Ben Willey Wrote:
> I work with LMVSC. We have no administrators,
> offcers, or employees of any type (absolutely
> none) who are paid based on a percentage of
> registrations or registration fees. Our
> administrator salaries have not been increased a
> penny in more than three years. I suspect you have
> good intentions and maybe some questions you would
> like to have answered, but the facts of your
> posting are just plain wrong (unless I am
> misundertanding you).
>
> Feel free to contact me. I will be glad to talk
> with you, explain what ever might be bothering
> you, or meet with you and answer any questions you
> might have. I know all the people in the LMVSC
> administration. They are, to a person, fine
> people striving to do top rate work to keep soccer
> and basketball available for the kids who play on
> all the teams. There really are no hidden
> agendas.

Posted by: Fairfax Resident ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:02PM

Ben Willey Wrote:
> I work with LMVSC. We have no administrators,
> offcers, or employees of any type (absolutely
> none) who are paid based on a percentage of
> registrations or registration fees. Our
> administrator salaries have not been increased a
> penny in more than three years. I suspect you have
> good intentions and maybe some questions you would
> like to have answered, but the facts of your
> posting are just plain wrong (unless I am
> misundertanding you).
>
> Feel free to contact me. I will be glad to talk
> with you, explain what ever might be bothering
> you, or meet with you and answer any questions you
> might have. I know all the people in the LMVSC
> administration. They are, to a person, fine
> people striving to do top rate work to keep soccer
> and basketball available for the kids who play on
> all the teams. There really are no hidden
> agendas.

This thread is about LDBA, not LMVSC. What is misleading about the previous post in regards to LDBA? Please state why LMVSC is the better alternative since you "work with" LMVSC.

Posted by: Community Parent ()
Date: March 13, 2012 12:08AM

I don't recommend having your son/daughter play there. There has been a history unreported income which is the reason for the drop in registered players. Parents have done there homework which I have to applaud. I unfortunately, paid a $158.00 registration fee to play there and then my son made another team and we asked for a refund (less than a week after I paid). I was charged $40.00 in admin fees. I think we made the best decision by not playing there.

Posted by: Community Resident (JR) ()
Date: July 19, 2012 08:20AM

I made the switch from LDBA to LMVSC an not only myself but my son couldnt be happier and the fact that they use the same facilities mostly makes it all the better, Make the switch...i dont kno about all the admin things you are speaking of and really dont care its about the quality of LMVSC

#LMVSC/VAB

Posted by: EllenP ()
Date: July 19, 2012 09:17PM

I skipped making that switch. We left LDBA and went to cardinal basketball. Like a previous poster said why go to a soccer league. Cardinal cost about $100 more but great coaches and lots more games. But I would like it if the LDBA people just stepped down entirely. Not one person on the board has an athletic child if you can't teach your own kid how can you teach someone else's? Before the current regime tookover there were lots of athletes developed in that league. Now they just chase them off. How do you get someone to step down from a community league?

Posted by: HS Mom ()
Date: November 24, 2012 05:47PM

Mr. Wiley, since you said to contact you if we have any questions, I'd like to know why LDBA charges high school students $180 to register, more than any other league, and then notifies players that registration is closed even though the division will have only 3 teams, each with 7 players. That appears to mean that each team will have a bye every other week and will repeatedly play the same 2 teams for the entire season. That is very little play and very little competition for what-I-consider a very large fee!

Based on these circumstances I think a player should be able to withdraw from the league without having to pay a $40 admin fee. Do you agree?

Posted by: 2016 ()
Date: January 26, 2017 08:42PM

2016 an nothing has changed except the price is. Ow $185. Keep your kids away from the league please.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.