HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dirt Bikes / ATVs on CraigsList w/o Title
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 15, 2013 10:48PM

My initial thought of buying a titled vehicle off of CraigsList without a title is that it would be unwise. I see many sellers listing as "bill of sale only." Some even say "No title, but have a copy of the title."

Has anybody here dealt with buying without a title? How hard is it to check the VIN prior to sale? I know that, even with a title in hand, VA checks the national database against stolen VINs - so how do you check beforehand?

If you go to transfer an off-road bike you bought without a title and all you have is a bill of sale, what does the VA DMV do about that? Do people even bother getting titles to off-road vehicles?

I know that papers can get lost. Are these just lazy sellers? It seems sketchy to carry a few thousand dollars cash to meet somebody to buy a bike w/o a title.

I'm avoiding them for now, but it seems to be common based on the number of ads that state their lack of a title.

I bought one dirt bike off of CraigsList several years ago w/o a title, but the model year was before VA issued titles to dirt bikes. It could be stolen and I wouldn't know it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dirt Bikes / ATVs on CraigsList w/o Title
Posted by: j4wuj ()
Date: June 15, 2013 11:35PM

If you buy it without a title or BOS and ranger dick-head ran the vin and it comes back stolen you will be doing weekends. Regardless you will be arrested on the spot, I know of 2 people who bought hot dirt bikes off cl without paperwork and got royaly fucked even with good attorneys. Im not buying shit without a copy of a DL/bos/title/tracking emails ect when it comes to power sports. I go by the assumtion they are all stolen unless they are the original owner and I meet them at their house and they sign all sorts of paperwork.

Posted by: A ()
Date: December 04, 2013 07:21PM

Depends on where you live and what you want to do with the bike. For example, if you are a CA resident and you want to ride the bike on state land in CA, you will be outta luck if you don't have the paperwork straight. They could impound the bike if they catch you riding. But if you are a resident from a different state that doesn't title bikes, then you will have no problem regardless of where you travel to for riding.

Here's a good example (it also lists which states have no titling for dirtbikes): http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294#visitor

If you're buying an untitled bike, the world is not ending and it probably isn't stolen... Many states don't title dirtbikes. Anyway, if you're worried about it, call the police station and ask them to run the VIN. That plus a bill of sale is all that's done in many states. If you need to title it to use it, that could be a hassle (depending on your specific situation). But if you don't ride state land (you ride mx tracks instead) or if you live in a different state that doesn't title, then who cares...

Posted by: Small Wee Wee ()
Date: December 04, 2013 07:26PM

It is your money, risk, and choice.

Good Luck

Posted by: Craig Slist ()
Date: December 04, 2013 07:29PM

totally legit

~Craig~

Posted by: ED KING ()
Date: December 05, 2016 07:07PM

BOUGHT A DIRT BIKE FROM A GUY WITH BILL OF SALE ONLY BUT THE BIKE IS NOT IN OS NAME IAM OUT OF LUCK

Posted by: 9Y4ND ()
Date: December 05, 2016 07:57PM

Most of those are DC nogs and they most likely stolen property.

Hope you dont get shot and robbed when you go pick it up

Posted by: NogWatch ()
Date: December 05, 2016 08:54PM

9Y4ND Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of those are DC nogs and they most likely stolen property.
>
> Hope you dont get shot and robbed when you go pick it up

That's a possibility, but it seems like this might be a way the nogs are buying the bikes in order to terrorize the streets of DC, Arlington, PGC, and the Beltway (besides stealing them). Nogs don't give a shit about paperwork, just straight cash homey.

Posted by: richbois ()
Date: December 05, 2016 11:34PM

Can be legit...I have bought many vehicles off craigslist...just do not even look in DC or PG for dirtbikes....and stay away from niggers.....really not the time too be PC.

Posted by: 20-20 Vision ()
Date: December 06, 2016 12:21AM

Glad I'm not the only who sees that this is clearly nigger business. Cops need to start ramming and killing those savages instead of current "no pursuit" policies.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.