HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bright light in sky around 2:00 am 4-21-06 over Dulles airport?
Posted by: Late Night Adventures ()
Date: April 21, 2006 03:06AM

So I happened to be outside in Herndon right off of 28 standing in a housing complex. Out of the corner of my eye I see a bright light, about two fists above the tree line. When I first saw it was at the south end of the Dulles runways. The light was greenish blueish in tint and behind the clouds so it was fuzzy moving very very quickly towards the north end and off over the Leesburg area. IT WAS COMPELTELY SLIENT. From the time that I first saw it to the time it went out was about 4 seconds. At the point when it went out; I stood in awe for a seconds then looked at my friend. We could have sworn that we heard a faint noise after it had gone out. Nothing like a bang or an explosion, more subtle like it fizzled out.

Anyone else see this? I'm looking for validity so if anyone else knows or saw what I'm talking about please help me regain my sanity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bright light in sky around 2:00 am 4-21-06 over Dulles airport?
Posted by: your dumb ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:19AM

its called a shooting star

Posted by: the irony ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:20AM

yup 'your' dumb

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:41AM

i believe what he's trying to say is:
file.php?0,file=70

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: your dump ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:45AM

yea yea

Posted by: My Bad ()
Date: April 21, 2006 07:03AM

I ate at Taco Bell last night and then got really wasted and some buddies and me were lighting our farts with candles. Ol' Jimmy ripped one off that damn near melted the siding on his house. That musta been what you saw.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:07AM

Blueish greenish light?

Well, if it was moving south to north it was probably a green wingtip (Nav) light from an aircraft. Aircraft Nav lights are green on the right side, and red on the left. So if you were viewing from 28 (east of Dulles) and watching it move south to north, that's the wingtip you would've seen. The light could've disappeared because the aircraft landed or was making a turn on approach/departure. Whatever noise you heard afterwards was probably something from 28.

It also might have been the beacon, which has a greenish/bluish lens on wone side and a clear lens on the other) though I believe those rotate clockwise, thus the movement would've appeared north to south from your vantage point.

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: April 21, 2006 12:20PM

As Mr hand (fast times at Ridgemont High) would say,
WHAT ARE YOU?? ON DOPE??

Posted by: Smobien ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:03PM

This is the reason I dont post here anymore. Too many sarcastic faggots.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:20PM

Yeah, but you just did post here, didn't you? you non-sarcastic straight bitch

Posted by: Smobien ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:37PM

Thanks for proving my point.

Would you like a ban to go along with that?

Posted by: Toying with Fire ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:44PM

I like how someone brings a simple request and immediately everyone dismisses it as retarded. BR was the only one to post something related to the topic. The rest of you need to shut the fuck up and get a life get and off this forum. Either post something related to the topic or go find a topic relating to retards and farts. Gravis may your trench coat and sunglasses shield you from the world's harmful UV rays and forever cloud your preception.

Posted by: BR very interesting ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:58PM

All those are great points, but it seemed to be moving too quick for an airplane just taking off. Also it was silent, I was about 1/2 mile from 28 and the runway on the other side of 28. So I figured if it was a plane I would have heard the turbo fan engines. The light that guards the fuel yard I ruled out as a possibility only cuz I could see it in my direct line of sight also as it went around it was hitting the top of the town homes. The wing tip theory I need to think about.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 21, 2006 03:28PM

eh... i just wanted to use that picture... it's for a t-shirt. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: BR ()
Date: April 21, 2006 03:31PM

It could've been a smaller single prop and not necessarily a jet....it could've even been a helicopter. If you were a half mile to 3/4 miles from the runway, those could easily be inaudible.

Not trying to rag on you or anything, but south to north movement, viewed from your position to the east, and greenish bluish light just off an airport just screams starboard nav light to me.

Did it look like it was gaining altitude, or was traveling fairly steadily as far as you could tell?

Posted by: Some guy ()
Date: April 21, 2006 03:38PM

See there is the kicker no it did not seem to be gaining altitude rather it seemed to be loosing altitude. It was moving at a steady pace but quick none the less enough time for me and the people I was with to stop mid sentence look at it then about 4 sec later it was gone.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: April 21, 2006 08:24PM

I see a lot of things when I'm wasted at 2 in the morning, standing in a housing complex outside of Herndon.

It could have been a shooting star. Or, it could have been the ludes eating away your last molecule of sanity, you freak.

Posted by: Kang ()
Date: April 22, 2006 01:42AM

It was me and my people making a run at landing our intergalactic space ship near your Earth capital, but you and your group of people discovered our infiltration so we had to quickly abort. Don't worry, we'll be back. Hopefully that super smart "some guy" won't be so vigilant next time.

Posted by: thomas ()
Date: April 27, 2006 02:10AM

I saw it too actually. I think it might have been earlier ... my friends and I came into Hampton Forest (neighbourhood off Route 29) and saw a light behind the trees in the Western sky. We didn't see it there for very long, but it might have been visible before we got there. I know after I went home two of them went into the woods to look after it but they didnt find anything.

It was bright as hell. it brought a midnight level of darkness into like an almost dusk/dawn, but with white light

oh. and we weren't drunk/high.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2006 02:11AM by thomas.

Posted by: thomas ()
Date: April 27, 2006 02:16AM

we know another guy who wasn't with us who saw the same thing near the Centreville-Fairfax border. (around Hampton Forest). they also saw an ambulance going that way but that doesn't really mean much.

Posted by: Mudpie ()
Date: April 27, 2006 09:25AM

Next time...put the crackpipe down and think twice before lighting it!

Posted by: The Hale - Bopp Aliens ()
Date: April 27, 2006 09:25PM

It was us. We came for the Heaven's Gate folks. We were late. Sorry. Have you seen them? We went by their place in Southern California, but some Jewish plastic surgeon and his third trophy wife were living there.

Just hope they didn't do anything rash. Last time we came, some dumbasses we were supposed to meet up with drank some kool-aid thinking we wanted them to kill themselves or something. Idiots.

Oh, nevermind. We need to get going or we will be late to Suri's christening.

Posted by: joe ()
Date: May 04, 2006 06:05PM

I saw the same thing. Then these FBI people took me away. I can't tell you the rest of the story.... I'm not allowed to.

Posted by: Daniel ()
Date: May 08, 2006 06:48PM

It could have been an Iridium satellite or ISS. Check:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: May 08, 2006 08:30PM

I doubt it was an Iridium flare or an ISS flash at 2AM - the angle of the sun would be way off; those usually occur around dusk or dawn. I double-checked the local astronomy club postings and no-one reported any meteor activity on the 21st. I doubt aircraft nav lights would be that bright, but landing lights are.

Posted by: Daniel ()
Date: May 08, 2006 08:52PM

you sure about that. this shows flares anywhere between 11pm and 3am.

Date Local
Time Intensity
( Mag) Alt. Azimuth Distance to
flare centre Intensity at
flare centre
(Mag.) Satellite
09 May 03:38:03 -1 17° 116° (ESE) 99.1 km (E) -7 Iridium 39
09 May 03:47:29 -1 22° 117° (ESE) 91.3 km (W) -7 Iridium 80
09 May 05:52:23 -8 71° 204° (SSW) 0.5 km (W) -8 Iridium 62
09 May 23:28:38 -1 12° 246° (WSW) 137.7 km (E) -6 Iridium 29
10 May 03:41:19 -6 21° 119° (ESE) 20.4 km (W) -7 Iridium 81
10 May 05:46:18 -1 72° 203° (SSW) 26.8 km (E) -8 Iridium 65
10 May 23:22:46 -1 13° 248° (WSW) 148.8 km (E) -6 Iridium 32
10 May 23:31:37 -4 10° 249° (WSW) 53.1 km (E) -6 Iridium 33

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: May 09, 2006 06:59AM

Daniel - I stand corrected. I didn't think a LEO constellation would have enough altitude to create flares that late.

What's interesting is that of those you list, the fifth one is shown as a magnitude -6 at 3:41AM - that's incredibly bright for that time of night. By comparison, Venus is currently at mag -4, and Jupiter is at -2.4.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: September 15, 2016 01:35PM

I saw it too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.