HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
***Good Mechanic in the area good with fixing Dodge SUV door locks?
Posted by: Need a good mechanic ()
Date: March 06, 2014 05:47PM

Hoping someone can point me in the direction of a mechanic in the area that is good with fixing broken Dodge Durango door locks. My wife broke the lock on one of the doors to our 2000 Dodge Durango. We've taken it around to different places in the area. The mechanics we've seen so far want to charge us $100 just to look at it.

All I need is for the mechanic to take the panelling off the door, get into it, and fix the mechanical lock. No need to fix the electronic lock, the manual lock would be just fine. We're short on money, but am hoping that we can find a mechanic that can fix it for about $400 or in that range.

I've reached out to people on this site before and have never been disappointed. Hoping to repeat history again today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ***Good Mechanic in the area good with fixing Dodge SUV door locks?
Posted by: diy ()
Date: March 06, 2014 06:55PM

Nobody is going to fool with one of those pieces of shit for cheap. Do it yourself.

Door panels can be a pain it the ass to remove because there are hidden screws or other types of fasteners. You also need to know where to pry, etc.

YouTube is invaluable for that information. Punch in "fix Durango door lock" or something like that and there will probably be numerous videos of somebody doing it. I would never have gotten my Toyota door panel off without fucking it up if it weren't YouTube!

If you need parts, they should be readily available on-line. Stuff you'd never find locally is easy to find on the 'net.

Posted by: enpEN ()
Date: March 06, 2014 07:16PM

Disassembly/Reassembly of door panels is a pain in the ass. That's the reason for the cost.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 06, 2014 07:36PM

diy has it about it right. Check the Youtubez and then impress your girl with what a fucking stud fix it dude you are.

Seriously though, if you have a $400 budget, I can't see you not getting it done for that. In fact, I'd get it done for less than $200 I bet. I bet you can too.

Personally for the shit I don't do myself, I have two different classes of mechanic- one with a regular shop and the other who works mobile or out of his home.

Build relationships with mechanics and keep them.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: local ()
Date: March 06, 2014 08:05PM

As the OPs said, hit youtube for info, gotta be there. Also get a Chilton oror Haynes manual for your car. There is allot you can do your self, or at the least after looking up the solution you can be informed when you approach a pro for work and repairs. If you decide to tackle the door repair, and it should be fairly easy, be sure to purchase new panel clips as they always seem to break when you take the panel off. And they are cheap and sometimes can be purchased at local auto parts stores. I've done it myself with locks, latches and window regulators, easy enough to do bro. Good luck, try n keep mama happy! You may get some if you do it yourself!

Posted by: happy customer ()
Date: March 06, 2014 08:19PM

Graham Road Exxon-Graham Road at Rt. 50. Ask for Long. Master at taking doors off, fixing switches etc.

Posted by: ill be helpful and not troll ()
Date: March 06, 2014 08:23PM

enpEN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disassembly/Reassembly of door panels is a pain in
> the ass. That's the reason for the cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLDPRjlcko

"How to Remove Replace Front Door Panel - 99 Durango - 98-03"

It's 4 screws, really not a pain in the ass.

Date: March 07, 2014 07:31PM

Thanks everyone, as always I appreciate the suggestions!

Posted by: PvDPb ()
Date: March 07, 2014 10:06PM

>Chilton oror Haynes manual

alldatadiy.com -- they are usually a bit better

> It's 4 screws, really not a pain in the ass.

4 screws, alignment pins when reinstalling, wires to switches and make sure you don't scratch anything. not to mention disassemble, find broken part, reassemble, drive to store, buy part, disassemble, replace part, reassemble. it's a drag. no, it's not as tedious as chiselling out the rivets on the ball joints.

other stuff is so much easier. order, remove, replace.

Posted by: X4dpb ()
Date: March 07, 2014 11:02PM

first you have to figure out or explain what 'broke the lock' means. Did she break the key in the lock? Break the cylinder? Break the actuator?

Once you narrow it down google the problem and you find things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rEtG40d1E

Now Im assuming you could not figure that out so it may mean you are unable to perform simple repairs. Anyone can do basic repairs. Is it always fast and easy the first time - no. That is why some pay mechanics 80 plus bucks an hour (and 100 bucks to diagnose). I am no mechanic but Ive changed a half dozen window actuators thanks to google (that job sucks). Working in the door panel is not always bad. My town car took me hours to get the window regulators replaced due to poor fit of aftermarket parts, drilling rivets trips to the auto store etc.

Ive done brakes, O2 sensors, radiators, accessory belts, plugs, wires coils steering and water pumps springs, ignition locks brake switches oil changes air shocks. I did it all with no experience no training learning from the internet tubes. It is always a lot cheaper to do it yourself and it can be satisfying.

Posted by: C3CvM ()
Date: March 08, 2014 03:01PM

we next time you steal a car learn not to break the locks

Posted by: VvweW ()
Date: March 08, 2014 03:03PM

if you know how to do it (and you have internet) and think it's not worth $100

then do it.

fake thread
fake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake threadfake thread

Posted by: nLKvE ()
Date: March 08, 2014 06:44PM

>half dozen window actuators thanks to google (that job sucks).

yeah that is a particularly "difficult" repair. i am almost positive that these things are installed before the door is welded together. in my current car, i had to drill access holes before i could drill out the rivets. what fucking lunatic designed that?

Posted by: u7Eeb ()
Date: March 08, 2014 06:58PM

nLKvE Wrote:
> >half dozen window actuators thanks to google
> (that job sucks).
>
> yeah that is a particularly "difficult" repair. i
> am almost positive that these things are installed
> before the door is welded together. in my current
> car, i had to drill access holes before i could
> drill out the rivets. what fucking lunatic
> designed that?

They do that to encourage you to come back to the dealership for expensive repairs.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: March 08, 2014 08:22PM

Look for a Spanish garage. They work cheap and they are usually very good.

Date: March 09, 2014 05:05AM

X4dpb Wrote:
> first you have to figure out or explain what
> 'broke the lock' means. Did she break the key in
> the lock? Break the cylinder? Break the
> actuator?
>
> Once you narrow it down google the problem and
> you find things like this
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rEtG40d1E
>
> Now Im assuming you could not figure that out so
> it may mean you are unable to perform simple
> repairs. Anyone can do basic repairs. Is it
> always fast and easy the first time - no. That is
> why some pay mechanics 80 plus bucks an hour (and
> 100 bucks to diagnose). I am no mechanic but Ive
> changed a half dozen window actuators thanks to
> google (that job sucks). Working in the door
> panel is not always bad. My town car took me
> hours to get the window regulators replaced due to
> poor fit of aftermarket parts, drilling rivets
> trips to the auto store etc.
>
> Ive done brakes, O2 sensors, radiators, accessory
> belts, plugs, wires coils steering and water pumps
> springs, ignition locks brake switches oil changes
> air shocks. I did it all with no experience no
> training learning from the internet tubes. It is
> always a lot cheaper to do it yourself and it can
> be satisfying.

I'm not good with automotive stuff at all. I can get into the door no problem (thanks Youtube) but knowing which part #'s to replace, and how to do them, is another problem.

Posted by: YouTube DYI ()
Date: March 09, 2014 05:17AM

YouTube the problem and DIY and save your money. Mechanics are just going to rip you off and it's probably a very simple fix. My husband is constantly fixing things with the cars, our power equipment we use for summer ect..... by going to YouTube and finding how to fix stuff himself and he has saved thousands.

Date: March 09, 2014 07:18AM

YouTube DYI Wrote:
> YouTube the problem and DIY and save your money.
> Mechanics are just going to rip you off and it's
> probably a very simple fix. My husband is
> constantly fixing things with the cars, our power
> equipment we use for summer ect..... by going to
> YouTube and finding how to fix stuff himself and
> he has saved thousands.

I should also mention that I'm on travel a lot, so getting a mechanic to do the work is very helpful to us.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.