HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My car is registered in MD because fucking your taxes
Posted by: Strangerdanger ()
Date: July 31, 2016 06:58PM

The Washington Post: In Virginia, thousands of cars are illegally registered with out-of-state plates. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwiK661iw

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My car is registered in MD because fucking your taxes
Posted by: pmGen ()
Date: July 31, 2016 07:56PM

Make it easier for undocumented people to get drivers licenses here.

Meanwhile, report Maryland tags you see more than once to 703-222-8234.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: July 31, 2016 08:02PM

My roads are fucking dope-ass smooth because I choose to live in VA, register my cars here and pay all relevant taxes here. Get in line, get out or start keeping a supply of spare tires on hand...

Posted by: Scaners ()
Date: July 31, 2016 08:34PM

The license plate scanners catch these.

Posted by: pjhK3 ()
Date: July 31, 2016 11:26PM

"The license plate scanners catch these."

They cannot do anything about this because so many Marylanders have jobs in Virginia. The neighbors where the residents park have to take down the license plate number, description of the car, and the address where the owner lives after the car has been seen for several months parking there regularly. Only then will the Va tax perople look into it.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:22AM

Virginia has long resisted granting driver’s licenses to such individuals, or to anyone who can’t prove they legally reside in the state.

im ok with this...

Posted by: pmGen ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:53AM

pjhK3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They cannot do anything about this because so many
> Marylanders have jobs in Virginia.

LOL! It isn't illegal to live in Maryland and work in Virginia. It's illegal to live in Virginia and domicile a car here while licensing it in Maryland by pretending to live there instead.

> The neighbors where the residents park have to take down the
> license plate number, description of the car, and the address
> where the owner lives after the car has been seen for several
> months parking there regularly. Only then will the Va tax
> perople look into it.

Stop being such a douche. It takes less than a minute to run a license plate check. Make, model, and color are helpful, but the plate number itself is the only info actually needed. Security patrols at Metro and Mall parking lots routinely compile lists of out-of-state plate numbers and repeats on those lists are routinely checked out. The County recovers hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of back taxes and fines through these patrols and also from citizen complaints. You can do it too! Turn in a tax cheat today!

>>> 703-222-8234 <<<

Posted by: 9/11 held VA Driver's licenses ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:56AM

mjs Wrote:
> Virginia has long resisted granting driver’s
> licenses to such individuals, or to anyone who
> can’t prove they legally reside in the state.
>
> im ok with this...

And yet most of the terrorists on 9/11 held VA Driver's licenses - they got them in Arlington at four mile run...

Posted by: GbDV6 ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:59AM

mjs Wrote:

Mostly since 9/11. Various of those bad guys had gotten VA license, so the knee-jerk reaction was to way over-react.

> im ok with this...

Then you must be ok with the meals tax as a way to make up for the revenue that's simply being thrown away here.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 01, 2016 12:07PM

mjs Wrote:

From what I've heard if you are in the U.S. legally and are not unemployed and living in a motel or on a friend's couch it is fairly easy to get a driver's license in Virginia, assuming you can pass the test. The usual (illegal) reasons for registering the car out of state are 1) to avoid personal property tax, 2) to avoid annual safety inspections, and 3) to avoid bi-annual emissions inspections if you live in NoVa. I've also heard that people will register out of state for insurance reasons, but I thought both DC and Maryland mandated auto insurance as well.

Posted by: eNxvx ()
Date: August 01, 2016 12:11PM

For most people, auto insurance is quite a bit more expensive in MD and DC than in VA.

Posted by: Enjoy your ticket ()
Date: August 01, 2016 03:26PM

I actually just report idiot vehicles though such as SUVs, pickups and sometimes minivans. Here is how you can report people too:

Fairfax: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/taxevaders/AddRecord.aspx

Arlington: https://taxes.arlingtonva.us/vehicles/report-tax-evader/vehicle-tax-evader-tip-form/

Posted by: Car Tax Probolems ()
Date: August 01, 2016 03:41PM

Taxing the living crap out of new cars is not good tax policy. We are hurting our own economy by stiffling new car sales, we are discouraging purchases of greener high-tech cars which already have a "hybrid" premium the owner must burden, and we are making residents unhappy as evidenced by the issues the policy is causing for the last decades. It's just another way in which Virginia is dysfunctional, which we ought to try to fix. Most states are dysfunctional in some way, so this is just one of our favorite Virginia ways to mess things up.

Posted by: poopd ()
Date: August 01, 2016 06:29PM

luckily I drive older model cars so the taxes are under 100 bucks ea. It would suck to own an expensive car and pay a thousand in taxes.

Posted by: k7kt6 ()
Date: August 01, 2016 07:30PM

GbDV6 Wrote:
> mjs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Virginia has long resisted granting driver’s
> > licenses to such individuals, or to anyone who
> > can’t prove they legally reside in the state.
>
> Mostly since 9/11. Various of those bad guys had
> gotten VA license, so the knee-jerk reaction was
> to way over-react.
>
> > im ok with this...
>
> Then you must be ok with the meals tax as a way to
> make up for the revenue that's simply being thrown
> away here.

The only people not ok with cracking down on illegally registered license plates are those who are not paying Virginia taxes and no one wants to hear what your cheating ass has to say.

Posted by: id required ()
Date: August 01, 2016 10:42PM

Illegals can't register or get a driver's license in va. They can in Maryland. Part of this is because most of the 911 hijackers obtained their id's from Arlington and Tyson's dmvs. So the fixed it so it wouldn't happen again. But oc course liberal democrat Maryland still allows this. Maybe next round they'll go there.

Posted by: OhReally ()
Date: August 02, 2016 02:42AM

You register the vehicle somewhere else because you can't pay the $100 plus in change a year LOL. Pathetic. Go on 495 north and there's always a broken down vehicle near Silver Spring because derelicts can't take care of their vehicles. I'll take VA over the ridiculous taxes of MD. Do the math. Stay out of VA if you are a buster--we don't want you.

Posted by: triptych ()
Date: August 03, 2016 01:20PM

Many of the illegals I have witnessed living in Virginia live in group houses, unknown and uncounted, unregistered and paid in cash under the table by their contract businesses. They work as contractors in various places when they can get work parts of the year. They will register and / or buy their old cars in Maryland from trusted dealers or individuals they know, so their MD tags stay on the vehicle when they actually move to Virginia. If you have friends/family in various places it is easy to get away with this sort of tax evasion if your friends/extended family just lets you use their address to do your required state DMV business from.

I have witnessed a self-employed individual living in Virginia get away with this for years by moving around NOVA from room rental to room rental, renting his vehicles instead of buying them, and using a re-mailer out west somewhere to forward his real mail to him a bag at a time. If he gets a ticket, he uses his western home state drivers license, and as he has parents there uses their address to renew it. He has gotten away with this for years as he is in his own independant sales. Don't know how far up the chain the tax avoidance goes, but in this situation he has carved out his own little fiefdom.

When I first moved into Northern Virginia, I had not been here a month before I got a letter from the DMV and local tax folks about registering my vehicle and getting a sticker, inspection, etc. for it. However, I had a regular and legitimate job, meaning that as soon as I was hired they notify Virginia tax dept and you get notified that you have so many days to get a new license etc. I also
was living in a regular apartment, and it is highly probable that the apartment management notifies the state that you are living there.

I was simply amazed at the "surveillance society" existing in Virginia, having moved here from a state that did absolutely none of this type of thing due to no income or car taxes existing there.

Posted by: Yup F U VA ()
Date: August 03, 2016 05:01PM

Since moving to VA a few years ago, I see no redeeming features living here and paying high taxes. What the jobs? lol Aint nothing worth living in this hellhole.

Posted by: F U VA Can Leave Anytime ()
Date: August 03, 2016 08:03PM

To F U VA, and OP, I speak on behalf of all Virginians: Please leave now!

Don't look back, or you'll turn into a pillar of salt. Just leave. Then, Virginia will have improved a little bit.

We don't want you. You add nothing to our beautiful state. Just go. You can go back to Maryland, as long as you go to the shitty counties (Prince Georges, Howard, and Baltimore Counties). Otherwise, don't bespoil the beautiful parts of Maryland.

Just move to New Jersey. That's where you belong.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:13PM

As a life long resident of Virginia, I can honestly say that I've never been a fan of the personal property tax on cars. If you remember when Gillmore was governor, e set in motion the eventual phasing out of the car tax. It worked for a few years. Democrat controlled counties brought it back little at a time. He was a republican. A few democrats governor's later, it's back in full force. You want democrats running your government, you get the results. So stop bitching for ehat you voted for. The republicans didn't want it, and ee just quietly pay and wonder why you get what you vote for then acted supprised? Intellectual children.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 03, 2016 09:48PM

It is a myth that Gilmore set in motion the phasing out of the car tax. What he did was set in motion a plan to SHIFT who paid a certain portion of the car tax (the tax on up to the first $20k in value on nonbusiness vehicles) from the car owner to the state treasury. It was a system that might work so long as the state government ran surpluses. In hard times it would create a conflict between the state and the localities.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.