HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Today's big mess on 123
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 24, 2006 01:20PM

Thanks to whatever jackass construction crew they got working out there, this morning I was forced to take a cold shower with barely any water pressure, and then was 20 minutes late for work. Route 123 looked like a small river, I wish I got a picture of it, they must've really hit a jackpot when it comes to main water lines. I'll never understand how stuff like that happens, didn't "Miss Utility" come out and mark the lines, lol?

It made me wonder, do these construction companies usually get fined when they screw up stuff like this? I don't mean just the cost reimbursement for repairs, but an actual fine on top of the repair cost. I tried searching the net to see if there's a place where you can dig up fine amounts for stuff like that, anyone know of one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Today's big mess on 123
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:44PM

If you called miss utility your safe. As long as you were not digging on the lines. But as with everything. Mistakes are made. We have so much buried stuff now a days, im surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Posted by: § ()
Date: August 24, 2006 02:57PM

Good advice. Now re-read the original post and see if it's in context. -§

Miss Utility
Posted by: Jester ()
Date: August 24, 2006 03:51PM

The same Miss Utility deal goes for contractors only more paperwork. If you have a record of hitting stuff then they fine you, but it's a long process.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 25, 2006 12:04AM

I bet it was a person of mexican or asian descent driving the backhoe. No I am not racist.

Posted by: Charlie Klan ()
Date: August 25, 2006 08:49AM

There's no mexi's or asians driving backhoes. Everyone knows they only use the hand tools like shovels and such. mexi's aren't smart enough to operate a backhoe and asians can't drive for shit, so who's gonna let them get behind the controls of one of those?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 25, 2006 08:56AM

racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement

I would say you're a racist like the rest of us, KOT.

Date: August 25, 2006 01:45PM

Charlie Klan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> asians can't drive for shit

exactly. Thats why the pipe got broken.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: August 25, 2006 04:05PM

Miss utility marked my yard twice and twice my phone line was cut. They dont even come close to finding the lines. I called the guy in charge and he said at least they didnt hit a power line, someone could have gotten killed. I kind of think he missed the point.
The guys installing fence posts just sliced the side of the electric power line. If the guy had hit the actual line he would have been dead on the spot.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 26, 2006 12:39PM

Tim45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Miss utility marked my yard twice and twice my
> phone line was cut. They dont even come close to
> finding the lines.

yeah, when installing fiber for FIOS, verison people hit a ton of cox's cable lines. i chalk it up to stupidity as im sure they were buring it in the same place.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 26, 2006 08:03PM

my cable got knocked out 9 yes 9 times when a gas line was installed on my street.

A friend of mine suddenly had a large drop in water pressure. So he called up the water people and they come out and dug up his whole front yard (the WHOLE front yard) looking for the pipe. The only way they found it was because they hit the line with the backhoe, making a flood. The line wasn't damaged (before it was hit with a backhoe); to his house anyway, it was the neighbors who had the leak and they thought someone had just left the hose on all night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 08:05PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 27, 2006 05:09AM

i was just read this article and found it to be quite relevant.

Verizon has developed a special knife that uses pressurized air to slice through lawns so fiber optic lines can be buried. The tool cuts through grass, but does not break sprinkler pipes and gas lines. Verizon also goes to great lengths to repair lawns where cables are buried. In Virginia, where the company has installed 4,141 miles of fiber optic cable so far, it has bought 283,147 pounds of grass seed.

it would seem they thought ahead about the whole cutting the gas line and exploding bit.   :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 27, 2006 01:18PM

This is what they used on my street to put the fiber in. They dont break up your driveway, they remove the sidewalk and dig a trench 4 feet down every 4 feet. Pic here: http://www.gwhiteandson.com/moling.html It sounds similar to the knife.

Now, when cox put in fiber several years ago, they used this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_directional_drilling

Verizon puts in many tons of grass seed, but that doesn't mean they fix your lawn or driveway if they bust through it. I saw many dead patches of grass where they put grass seed on a lawn who's owner spread scott's turf bulder weekly on it. He was pretty pissed b/c he didn't want fios anyway. And there was a million complaints about how conrete driveways were patched with asphalt, and it looked sucky. It took them a year to fix it, and they ended up asphalting the entire drive instead of concrete. And since all the workers were SPANISH-SPEAKING-PERSONS (not racist) the people who dont know more than one spanish word (no) can't talk to the workers and tell them how bad it looks, etc.

Posted by: 345 ()
Date: August 28, 2006 12:48PM

Miss Utility sure has talented hands.

Posted by: Messy Mexican ()
Date: March 30, 2016 05:47PM

doo doo butter

Posted by: netbw ()
Date: March 30, 2016 11:12PM

doo doo brown

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.