HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can I still plant grass seed?
Posted by: G2015 ()
Date: September 26, 2015 08:47PM

Is it too late to plant grass seed this year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I still plant grass seed?
Posted by: Instrustions ()
Date: September 26, 2015 08:49PM

No

Posted by: Instrustions ()
Date: September 26, 2015 08:50PM

Opps
Yes you can
Misread

Posted by: Silver ()
Date: September 26, 2015 09:17PM

Best time to plant is early winter, prior to a snow storm.

Posted by: Check THEIR lawn b4 you listen ()
Date: September 26, 2015 09:24PM

The people who tell you the ONE RIGHT WAY to plant and the ONE RIGHT TIME to plant are the often the ones who's lawns look like shit.

It depends on a variety of factors--location, existing lawn, etc. Read, learn from reputable sources and go for it.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: September 26, 2015 09:49PM

read the label on the grass seed.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: September 26, 2015 10:07PM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> read the label on the grass seed.

Don't you mean the bag???

Writing on the seeds is way to small.

Posted by: DAJAX Unsigned ()
Date: September 26, 2015 11:32PM

Fall is the BEST Time To plant Grass Seed. You need to prepare the ground right. Roto tillering a bit on the surface is best but who has one without a garden and some $$ to rent so Rake Rake Rake. Wet the ground well so its not hard, sow seed, then cover and work seed in a bit with a scant amount of soil and cover with straw. Water Water Water after sowing seed. All new grass needs Lots of water! Water Ever Day till its growing good It can take 3 weeks. Then you can taper off as it will be getting cooler. It will be Good.

The big problem around here is that when growing grass in summer people don't water the grass enough. Remember preparing the ground!

Posted by: Better Call Saul ()
Date: September 27, 2015 12:13AM

A little late, but not too late. You want the new grass to establish as much as possible (8-12 weeks) before it goes dormant for winter (usually around Thanksgiving). You should still be fine until the end of the month.

Posted by: Plugs McGee ()
Date: September 27, 2015 11:49AM

It's not really late at all. You've still got another 2-3 weeks to do it. It only takes 3 weeks or so to establish. We won't get our first hard freezes until the beginning of November (the first frost or two won't hurt it).

The recent rain helps.

Keep it moist of the pattern turns again and don't trod over it and give it time.

You'll be fine!

NOTE - This applies to our typical cool-season grasses or mixes. If you're doing something like Zoysia, yes wait till spring. But you didn't say you were doing that (seed doesn't imply zoysia plugs).

Posted by: GrASSman ()
Date: September 27, 2015 01:09PM

It's not too late, but getting close. Don't worry about the air temperatures, it's the soil temperatures that make the grass germinate. You should get little sprouts in a week if you put the seed down and keep it moist (not soaking wet).

THe best time to plant cool season grasses is in the fall, sometime between the last week of August and the weekend after labor day. That ensures rapid germination due to the warm soil AND gives you enough time to re-seed any patches that didn't take.

Posted by: G2015 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 02:44PM

I'm doing a patch of real hard soil. Fortunately the rain the last couple of days helped soften it up and I was able to rake up some. How thick do I need to apply?

Posted by: Works for Me ()
Date: September 27, 2015 03:03PM

G2015 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm doing a patch of real hard soil. Fortunately
> the rain the last couple of days helped soften it
> up and I was able to rake up some. How thick do I
> need to apply?

I do this every year because I get some dead spots annually. Thanks, shitty Virginia clay soils!

Rough up the soil. If it's a small patch, go buy a handheld spreader and disperse the seed accordingly. If it's a big area, use a drop or broadcast spreader and follow the recommended setting. Or just put some in your hand and spread it unscientifically. Just get a nice even coverage in the spot and a few inches beyond all along the perimeter. Then apply a thin layer (1/2 - 1") of compost over the seed and then just gentley water daily, preferably in the morning. Check in the late afternoon and if compost is dry, gentley water again. Repeat for about 2 weeks.

You can add starter fertilizer after you put down the compost if you want to, but the compost has enough nutrients to help feed the grass.

Posted by: Waittillaterr ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:29PM

Wait til fall

Posted by: Better Call Saul ()
Date: September 28, 2015 11:47AM

Also, once the grass has come in, water infrequently but deeply (~ 1 hour) so the roots get deep. Shallow rooted grass will be more likely to perish in stressful conditions. Often people keep throwing on a little water here and there like they did with the seed, but this is not what you want to do once the grass has come in.

If you are a little late, go with a perennial rye grass mix because it germinates quickly vs. other varieties.

Posted by: v3JpV ()
Date: September 28, 2015 02:09PM

NO its the best time! Make sure to scarify the soil, seed, roll (important rentals available) and cover with straw from garden center. Water 2x daily till soil saturated to 2-3 inches. 2 weeks you will have an amazing lawn. You may wish to fertilize with seed starter (phosphorous) when you seed. Ideally you would have tested the soil before to know which amendments to make but this will work fine.

Posted by: dependson? ()
Date: September 28, 2015 04:47PM

what kind of grass?

Posted by: Armageddon ()
Date: September 29, 2015 05:17PM

No, it's not too late, but it will all be in the Potomac River by Sunday.

Posted by: Sal Governale ()
Date: September 30, 2015 08:00PM

Like others said, now is the best time. I did it over the past couple years and got a great looking lawn before it went dormant and in the spring it was good. Didn't have to worry about weeds and crabgrass. I rented and aerator and ran it over my yard twice, front to back and then side to side. Then threw down seed and then covered with black topsoil. Water every morning and grass was coming up withing 5 days.

Reseeded 2 nights ago because it was going to rain. Hopefully last nights rain didn't wash it away to much. Also threw down some fertilizer and lime, Miracle Grow for my bushes. MG is like crack for bushes, especially barberrys and hollys.

Posted by: NotSoGreen ()
Date: September 30, 2015 08:09PM

I have a patch about 3' x 3' in the middle of an otherwise healthy lawn where I just can't get grass to stay alive -- even if I re-seed it at the end of each summer and get it started and lush before the winter. Not an area where dogs pee on it, so what could be the problem? Solution?

Posted by: DAJAX ()
Date: September 30, 2015 08:59PM

The prob could be a patch where the soil is thin , rocky under it. Rake it really good, you have got to get in there at least 1 inch more is better , put some topsoil down and seed it working the seed just into the soil then cover with straw and ..well let the rain take care of it for now. Straw keeps birds from eating the seed, keeps rain from washing it all over the place and when the rain quits keeps moisture in. You may have trouble finding a small amount . Merrifield garden may be of some help.. No straw? Work it in and sprinkle some topsoil over, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch that's all.

This rain will be a big help with all starting grass. I just did a patch about 6' X 10'. unless its a "Gully Washer" Gulp..Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained. One Must Be Brave!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.