HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Questions on employer in Reston
Posted by: Red Dawn ()
Date: September 07, 2015 03:08PM

This forum looks to be the most active on the site, so I'm posting here. My apologies if anyone is annoyed by that.

I have a job offer at Serco in Reston. I know it's a government contractor so I'm taking that into consideration.

Anyone with the scoop on what it's like to work there? How is the pay? Benefits? Culture? Management?

Can you have fun at the office or is it all political bullshit and PC land?

It's an IT position if that matters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on employer in Reston
Posted by: m0r0n4l3rt ()
Date: September 08, 2015 02:22AM

How could you have a job offer and not be familiar with salary and benefits? That's the first thing that makes this post odd. The second is that someone with an active offer would then post on this forum. That also makes little to know sense. I doubt they have dozens of outstanding job offers in the Reston office for IT positions. They are going to see this post and rescind that offer.

Posted by: GMMYNG ()
Date: September 08, 2015 02:38AM

m0r0n4l3rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How could you have a job offer and not be familiar
> with salary and benefits? That's the first thing
> that makes this post odd. The second is that
> someone with an active offer would then post on
> this forum. That also makes little to know sense.
> I doubt they have dozens of outstanding job offers
> in the Reston office for IT positions. They are
> going to see this post and rescind that offer.

The employer could have approached him and made the offer before he was familiar with the company. That situation has happened to me several times. Why would they rescind an offer because he is researching the company? He is just doing due diligence. He might want to choose his language more carefully though, e.g. "political bullshit".

Posted by: Observing Observer ()
Date: September 08, 2015 05:50AM

"The employer could have approached him and made the offer before he was familiar with the company. That situation has happened to me several times. Why would they rescind an offer because he is researching the company? He is just doing due diligence. He might want to choose his language more carefully though, e.g. "political bullshit".

Maybe because he is asking on FAIRFAX UNDERGROUND? The biggest cesspool of misinformation on the internet? Maybe?

Posted by: Calling BS ()
Date: September 08, 2015 07:26AM

Serco used to be on Library Lane in Reston, but they closed that location last Spring.

Date: September 08, 2015 10:56AM

Thank you GMMYNG and Observing Observer. At least there are a couple people here with some intelligence.

And thanks to Calling BS for trying to offer some help.

Anyone else? I can look on Glassdoor and other places online, but those sites tend to be flooded by company moles.

Posted by: govt contractor ()
Date: September 08, 2015 04:04PM

Reputable firm, very large company, international but also much work in the US. Take the job.

Date: September 08, 2015 04:24PM

govt contractor - many thanks my friend!

Posted by: Kontrakter ()
Date: September 08, 2015 06:38PM

Never worked for them but have competed against them. Serco kind of has a reputation for bidding low prices and aren't really considered top tier or prestigious or anything. I don't think there is anything unbelievably horrible about them but nothing special.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.