HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mt. Vernon Monster
Posted by: Local kid ()
Date: February 01, 2014 10:26PM

Anyone remember going to see or listen for the Mt. Vernon Monster? i.e. Sasquatch ? I have seen , smelled and heard it 1980's. Post if you were there and and info. About it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mt. Vernon Monster
Posted by: Monster Hunter ()
Date: February 02, 2014 05:21AM

Local kid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone remember going to see or listen for the Mt.
> Vernon Monster? i.e. Sasquatch ? I have seen ,
> smelled and heard it 1980's. Post if you were
> there and and info. About it.

You came the right place, we have tons of info on this monster...

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/29/50170/1435648.html#msg-1435648

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/29/50170/1144648.html#msg-1144648

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/879497/1032198.html#msg-1032198

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/879497/891338.html#msg-891338
Attachments:
swampmonster1.png

Posted by: Monster Hunter ()
Date: February 02, 2014 05:28AM

This guy has an entire page devoted to tracking these stories and he contributes here on FFU...

http://dapht.blogspot.com/p/mount-vernon-monster.html

MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Posted by: Some historical info ()
Date: February 02, 2014 05:39AM

MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Byline: Sam Hartz
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/alexandr.htm

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - George Washington once slept here, but he might find it harder nowadays. A strange something is at large, wailing or screaming nightly a mile from the ancestral home of the Father of His Country. For nine noisy months, the mystery creature has haunted a patch of woods surrounded by $150,000 homes near Mount Vernon, wrecking the peace and defying spotting and identification. Local teen-agers have caught its act on tape. It goes something like: "ooahkra-ah," or "eeveakgoo-ah." or even "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."

The Mount Vernon Monster, some call it. Others, Bigfoot. More guess: hoot owls, loud frogs, a radio with a stuck button, wild boars, a prankster with a bull horn, or the ghost of George washington's pigs. "One person suggested a peacock". said George Stickman, Fairfax County game warden, who has ruled out bears, bobcats and other fauna found in the vicinity. The peacock theory may not be too exotic. Experts at the nearby Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge said peafowl are often kept as yard pets in the south One could have flown the coop and fluttered to Mount Vernon. "They have a loud, penetrating cry, almost like a scream," said John Aldrich, a retired Fish and Wildlife researcher. Mike Morgan of the National zoo said the birds used to escape frequently when allowed to roam the grounds. Whatever it may be, the creature is elusive as well as vocal. It has foiled police watches, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, volunteer youth patrols and the determined efforts of warden Stickman.

"The thing seems to know when you leave the woods. Then it starts to holler," said Stickman, who staged a fruitless overnight vigil to catch the interloper. Meanwhile, residents continue to discuss the problem at get- togethers, playing tapes and advancing theories. "Maybe it's a wounded animal or bird with damaged vocal cords," said Maggie Oyer, who thinks the sound it makes is a "low wailing." One resident, Thelma Crisp, says she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall which lumbered into the woods after being sighted. Could it be a Bigfoot, trying to reach headquarters of the Fish and Wildlife Service in Washington, 15 miles away? "If its Bigfoot, and there's proof." said a spokesman, "we'd protect it."

Submitted to this website by archive researcher Marlene Trask, North Carolina 1996
Copyright: Kentucky Daily Independent Newspaper
Dated: 5/20/1979

The Mount Vernon Monster (Bigfoot?)
Posted by: More Info ()
Date: February 02, 2014 05:41AM

http://timetravel21.blogspot.com/2011/06/mount-vernon-monster-bigfoot.html

On May 12, 1979, the front page of The Washington Post carried an article entitled,“The Mount Vernon Monster.” For nine months, in 1978 and 1979, a strange creature wailed and screamed nightly in the woods just a mile from historic Mount Vernon. Some people called it “The Mount Vernon Monster”, others “Bigfoot”. Whatever the creature may have been, it was elusive, frustrating capture attempts by the police, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, searches by volunteer youth patrols, and the determined efforts of the Fairfax County game warden to track it down. And thus an urban legend was born.

The story made its’ way into oral history projects, which are now being cited by monster hunters as historical authentication of the creature’s existence, “…one of the game wardens, said ‘The thing seems to know when you leave the woods, then it starts to holler.’ One resident said she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall, which lumbered into the woods after being sighted.”

The howling stopped as abruptly as it began, but the story lives on.

Watch the video here on Sasquatch tracking in VA part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4CvyL7Djs&feature=player_embedded

Re: MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Posted by: Some historical info ()
Date: February 02, 2014 05:43AM

Some historical info Wrote:
> MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
> Byline: Sam Hartz
> http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/alexandr
> .htm
>
> ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - George Washington once
> slept here, but he might find it harder nowadays.
> A strange something is at large, wailing or
> screaming nightly a mile from the ancestral home
> of the Father of His Country. For nine noisy
> months, the mystery creature has haunted a patch
> of woods surrounded by $150,000 homes near Mount
> Vernon, wrecking the peace and defying spotting
> and identification. Local teen-agers have caught
> its act on tape. It goes something like:
> "ooahkra-ah," or "eeveakgoo-ah." or even
> "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."
>
> The Mount Vernon Monster, some call it. Others,
> Bigfoot. More guess: hoot owls, loud frogs, a
> radio with a stuck button, wild boars, a prankster
> with a bull horn, or the ghost of George
> washington's pigs. "One person suggested a
> peacock". said George Stickman, Fairfax County
> game warden, who has ruled out bears, bobcats and
> other fauna found in the vicinity. The peacock
> theory may not be too exotic. Experts at the
> nearby Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge said peafowl are
> often kept as yard pets in the south One could
> have flown the coop and fluttered to Mount Vernon.
> "They have a loud, penetrating cry, almost like a
> scream," said John Aldrich, a retired Fish and
> Wildlife researcher. Mike Morgan of the National
> zoo said the birds used to escape frequently when
> allowed to roam the grounds. Whatever it may be,
> the creature is elusive as well as vocal. It has
> foiled police watches, flyovers by a U.S. Park
> police helicopter, volunteer youth patrols and the
> determined efforts of warden Stickman.
>
> "The thing seems to know when you leave the woods.
> Then it starts to holler," said Stickman, who
> staged a fruitless overnight vigil to catch the
> interloper. Meanwhile, residents continue to
> discuss the problem at get- togethers, playing
> tapes and advancing theories. "Maybe it's a
> wounded animal or bird with damaged vocal cords,"
> said Maggie Oyer, who thinks the sound it makes is
> a "low wailing." One resident, Thelma Crisp, says
> she spotted the monster. She described it as a
> creature about six feet tall which lumbered into
> the woods after being sighted. Could it be a
> Bigfoot, trying to reach headquarters of the Fish
> and Wildlife Service in Washington, 15 miles away?
> "If its Bigfoot, and there's proof." said a
> spokesman, "we'd protect it."
>
> Submitted to this website by archive researcher
> Marlene Trask, North Carolina 1996
> Copyright: Kentucky Daily Independent Newspaper
> Dated: 5/20/1979

An actual scan on this article...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19790518&id=LrkyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=34wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6902,3068735

Posted by: The true history ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:00PM

1. Somebody's pet peacock escaped

2. It made its way to the Mount Vernon area

3. Its piercing, monkey-like call scared the shit out of people

4. Scared residents, unable to identify the peacock's calls, soon came up with stories of a "monster" in the woods

5. As that story spread (and who doesn't love a local legend like that), kids got in on the action

6. Some kids went into the bush to find the monster

7. Other, more enterprising kids, went into the bush to hoax the shit out of the other kids. Dressing up like monsters, blasting recordings, breaking stuff, making noises, etc.

Lesson: Bullshit urban legends can quickly take on a a life of their own.

Posted by: Randal $$ ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:28PM

alright whose dick to I have to suck to get a glimpse of bigfoot.

Posted by: NEED CHUCK HOFFMAN'S HELP! ()
Date: February 04, 2014 07:21AM

I would be curious to see what Chuck Hoffman can dig up on this.

Posted by: Disgruntled Upperclass White Man ()
Date: February 04, 2014 10:36AM

Is that Obango? aka president Barack (Saddam) Hussein directly responsible for 9/11 bin laden Obama. That odd looking creature reminds me of a better time, a less disgruntled time...

Posted by: P6MKh ()
Date: February 04, 2014 08:43PM

The Mt. Vernon Monster is currently seeking refuge in my trousers you assholes

Posted by: Mt. Vernon HS Student ()
Date: February 04, 2014 10:22PM

Does anyone know if it comes near the school? And do you think it knows if school is canceled on Wednesday?

Posted by: Ghost Hunter ()
Date: February 05, 2014 08:05AM

The true history Wrote:
> 1. Somebody's pet peacock escaped
>
> 2. It made its way to the Mount Vernon area
>
> 3. Its piercing, monkey-like call scared the shit
> out of people
>
> 4. Scared residents, unable to identify the
> peacock's calls, soon came up with stories of a
> "monster" in the woods
>
> 5. As that story spread (and who doesn't love a
> local legend like that), kids got in on the
> action
>
> 6. Some kids went into the bush to find the
> monster
>
> 7. Other, more enterprising kids, went into the
> bush to hoax the shit out of the other kids.
> Dressing up like monsters, blasting recordings,
> breaking stuff, making noises, etc.
>
>
> Lesson: Bullshit urban legends can quickly take on
> a a life of their own.

I tend to agree with you on this one. The story goes that the monster appeared after some UFO sightings in the area. Ran around making noises, and scaring people and then there were more UFO sightings and then it disappeared. There were no pictures of it and the sounds I heard on tape, sound very much like a peacock or some other animal. Even back then they had polaroids. Still its an interesting story.

Posted by: sportcat ()
Date: February 05, 2014 10:47AM

http://www.gbriresearch.com/index.php/en/forum/13-stories-of-past-sightings-what-was-that-thing-in-the-woods/563-the-mount-vernon-monster

Growing up in Northern Virginia just outside of Washington DC I had the opportunity to learn allot of American & Military History. And also of the Mount Vernon Monster! In the late 70's a tall hairy creature made it's appearance in the Northern Virgina Suburbs. Occupying an area that was historically protected, and a large military base.

I had always heard of this thing, some believed it was a man in a costume. But after I had a Law Enforcement friend that had a brief encounter with it I was a believer. And at nights calls could be heard from different locations. Meaning their was more than one of them! The calls always sounded to me like a bullfrog and a lioness cross (if that makes sense). I wish I knew then what I know now, I bet that we heard whistles too.

We had a friend that we could sit on his back porch and be far enough away from the city lights and sounds to occasionally hear something. One night we (me and my two best friends) got brave enough to venture out into the woods. Well when I say venture out we actually jumped the gates of the Mount Vernon Country Club and walked on the green - near the woods. And I am pretty sure that we were not at all that quiet. We came upon a slight hill and could see down into a small pond. There we saw squatted a creature - we couldn't tell if it was eating or drinking. But we suspected it was eating frogs. We stood their in awe of whatever it was.

It spotted us, and made for the wood line towards our direction. We decided to exit the woods rather quickly. It paralleled us to our right (we weren't going back in those woods). It followed a creek line and it never did growl or scream, but made a whole lot of noise in the woods. We jumped a gate and came out onto a gravel road - an entry way to an old plantation that had been closed for as long as we can remember. What happened next to this days amazes me. The creature jumped a fence - and when I say jumped I really mean flipped. The fence was an old colonial stone fence, maybe five feet tall. On top of the stone there had been a chain link fence with three strands of barb wire atop that. This thing grabbed the top strand of bard wire and flipped itself over, crossed the gravel driveway and did the exact same thing on the opposite side?! The point it landed it stuck close to the fence, in a crouched walk. Coming towards us. We were just standing there dazed. We had (and I still haven't) seen anything like that. The area it landed was a swampy wet area with plenty of sticks and stones and such. When it stopped it was staring straight at us in a crouched position. That seemed like a perfect time for us to run to the lighted streets and get the hell outta there lol.

I will never forget those eyes and teeth. The eyes were like mirrors, and the teeth were so perfectly white. It was beautiful yet scary at the same time. None of the three of us will ever forget that.

As to what it was - if it was a man, I'm impressed. But I do not believe it was a man in a suit. Knowing now I wish we had gone back in the daylight and looked for hair, prints - anything.... But it was a long long time before we went anywhere near that point.We never left the lighted street. Then only after we got cars would we drive down that driveway.

That was in the early 80's. I can remember it was on a Monday night because we all left at half time (redskins -VS- Giants) and when we got back to our friends house it was well after midnight. And we were late getting home....

Below is a sketch that one of my friends had drawn up by one of his friends. It looks accurate to what we had seen.

Knowing now, I am guessing that it was a young male and a female starting out so to speak and passing through trying to find their own place. The sites and sounds disappeared and as far as I know have never returned.
Attachments:
swampmonster1.png

Posted by: Related Topic ()
Date: February 05, 2014 06:02PM

On a related topic, the team from "Finding Bigfoot" was recently doing an expedition in VA...

Finding Bigfoot Season Two – Virginia is for Bigfoot Lovers
http://cliffbarackman.com/finding-bigfoot/finding-bigfoot-episode-guide/finding-bigfoot-season-two/finding-bigfoot-season-two-virginia-is-for-bigfoot-lovers/

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bw5iiXgR0YM

Even before going to Virginia, I knew the state had a lot of excellent bigfoot habitat. Between the various online databases, there are over 70 reported bigfoot sightings on record. It is my guess that less than one percent of sightings ever get reported to anyone, so that means there is probably quite a bit of activity in the area. I wanted to check it out for myself, firsthand.

The evidence that brought us to Virginia was a video obtained by a man named Chuck Newton. The video is called, “The Beast of Gum Hill” because of a nearby topographical landmark. It shows Chuck riding an ATV up a river bed when a dark, upright figure walks across the river a ways ahead of him. Chuck stops his ATV and points at it while looking back at the camera. In an authentically startled voice, Eric, the videographer, asks, “What was that?!” The two men immediately turned around and rode out of the area, according to the witness.

Beast of Gum Hill Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tNaklppFRTg

Finding Bigfoot in VA
Posted by: Related Topic ()
Date: February 05, 2014 06:16PM

Some more info...

Bigfoot is real. At least that's what veterinarian Melba S. Ketchum claims after a five-year study of more than 100 DNA samples that she believes comes from the elusive hairy beast.

Under Ketchum's direction at DNA Diagnostics in Nacogdoches, Texas, a team of researchers has concluded that the creature may be a human relative that somehow developed around 15,000 years ago as a result of a hybrid cross between Homo sapiens with an unknown primate.

Ketchum's research has yet to stand the scrutiny of independent researchers. While many people have claimed to have seen the creature, its existence has never been confirmed, despite a plethora of photos and footprints. The ongoing search is the subject of Animal Planet's "Finding Bigfoot" television series.

"Well, it came to me, I didn't go after it, that's for sure," Ketchum said of the evidence of Bigfoot's existence in an exclusive interview with The Huffington Post. "I did not believe in these creatures. But my lab did a lot of animal testing, and we did species identification. We didn't have any hits on anything interesting until five years ago."

Ketchum's professional work includes nearly 30 years in genetics research and forensics. After her team attempted DNA sequencing of hair samples from an alleged Bigfoot encounter, they found some unusual things in the hair. But there wasn't enough DNA to conclusively verify what they were seeing.

DNA Diagnostics received more samples to investigate -- including hair, blood, saliva and urine, all reportedly from various Bigfoot sightings.

Watch this "Finding Bigfoot" promo about a reported Sasquatch in a Vermont apple orchard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pg32rmNCrI&feature=player_embedded

Ketchum's team consists of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology. The researcher said she believes that over the past five years, the team has successfully found three Sasquatch nuclear genomes -- an organism's hereditary code -- leading them to suggest that the animal is real and a human hybrid.

Ketchum's study showed that part of the DNA her team sequenced revealed an unknown primate species, she said, which suggests that Bigfoot is a real creature that resulted from this primate "crossing with female Homo sapiens."

"They're not any of the large apes -- they branch off as a separate lineage," Ketchum said. "My personal theory is that it probably branched off and evolved in parallel with the rest of the primate lineage."

The overall results of Ketchum's study will soon be revealed, she said, after a peer-reviewed journal is published. But skeptic Benjamin Radford is dubious about the outcome of this latest attempt to give credibility to the existence of Bigfoot.

"If the data are good and the science is sound, any reputable science journal would jump at the chance to be the first to publish this groundbreaking information," Radford, the deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer magazine, wrote in LiveScience.com.

Radford suggests that if the mitochondrial DNA is identical to Homo sapiens (modern humans), it could mean one of two things.

"The first, endorsed by Ketchum, is that Bigfoot ancestors had sex with women about 15,000 years ago and created a half-human hybrid species currently hiding across North America.

"There is, however, another, simpler interpretation of such results: The samples were contaminated. Whatever the sample originally was -- Bigfoot, bear, human or something else -- it's possible that the people who collected and handled the specimens accidentally introduced their DNA into the sample, which can easily occur with something as innocent as a spit, sneeze or cough," Radford wrote.

Not so, counters Ketchum.

"Early on, we started getting human results on the mitochondrial DNA -- that's maternally inherited and it can show where you're from," Ketchum said. "Different labs had already tested alleged Sasquatch samples, and all of these labs were getting human results, so they just threw it out.

"We split the samples with another forensic lab -- one worked on it manually while the other did it robotically, extracting the DNA -- and we ran several tests to confirm there was no contamination. And we ended up getting human sequences on many samples."

In LiveScience.com, Radford pointed out that since "There is no reference sample of Bigfoot DNA to compare it with, by definition, there cannot be a conclusive match."

Ketchum's work isn't the only ongoing research project aimed at trying to confirm, through DNA, the existence of Bigfoot.

In the U.K., researchers from Oxford University and the Lausanne Museum of Zoology are examining alleged Bigfoot remains to test for unusual DNA. Their results will be submitted to a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

One theory about a possible explanation for Bigfoot or Sasquatch is that it could turn out to be a large primate called Gigantopithecus, 9-foot-tall apes that presumably went extinct around 100,000 years ago.

"My working hypothesis has always been that this is very likely Gigantopithecus extant -- that we have a species that's in the right place at the right time, the right size and some of the right characteristics in the form of Gigantopithecus in East Asia during the late Pleistocene [era] to have expanded into North America," said Jeff Meldrum, a professor of anatomy and anthropology at Idaho State University.

"It's not a matter of belief or wishful thinking -- it's a matter of the preponderance of the evidence, be it eyewitness accounts, footprints or hair that defies identification or attribution to known species," Meldrum told HuffPost.

"We're waiting for the results in studies that are ongoing, looking at potential DNA evidence -- DNA sequences extracted from samples of hair and blood and tissue. All of these things are the basis and motivation for undertaking this kind of approach," he said.

Meldrum, author of Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science, is skeptical of most Bigfoot videos that show up on YouTube.

"In this day and age of cellphones, smartphones and Handycams, why aren't there more pictures? And there are, but it's also a testament to the fact that most people are lousy photographers, even if they're composed long enough to snap a picture in that brief instant of an encounter with something strange and unusual like this."

Watch this news report featuring anthropologist Jeffrey Meldrum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SClOrtpu3ao&feature=player_embedded

If a peer review of Ketchum's findings eventually confirms Bigfoot's existence to the satisfaction of the scientific community, she's adamant about what the next step should be.

"I’d like to see them have the same protections as any other human as far as the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of their own happiness, meaning that they be left alone and not put under a microscope, not hunted, not harassed, not chased through the woods -- leave them alone," she said. "They’ve existed for thousands of years this way and don’t need habitats set aside. They’ve lived under our noses all this time."
Attachments:
imagesVKLXCQF3.jpg

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: February 07, 2014 03:26PM

>On a related topic, the team from "Finding Bigfoot" was recently doing an expedition in VA...

Saw the 'pop-up' version of this episode, which (IIRC) made it clear that even Moneymaker thought this was fake. Moneymaker usually believes just about anything (a broken branch, an obvious boot print) is solid evidence for bigfoot - when he calls bullshit, you know it's bad.

Not for nothing, Related, but Ketchum is a grade-A kook and Jeff Meldrum isn't far from it. Also, there's pretty much no reason at all to suspect that gigantopiths were biped and every reason to suspect that they weren't - the 'reconstrutions' of them as huge hairy humans is, to be as kind as I can be, wishful thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 03:27PM by abelard.

Posted by: NHJTW ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:38PM

abelard Wrote:
> >On a related topic, the team from "Finding
> Bigfoot" was recently doing an expedition in
> VA...
>
> Saw the 'pop-up' version of this episode, which
> (IIRC) made it clear that even Moneymaker thought
> this was fake. Moneymaker usually believes just
> about anything (a broken branch, an obvious boot
> print) is solid evidence for bigfoot - when he
> calls bullshit, you know it's bad.
>
> Not for nothing, Related, but Ketchum is a grade-A
> kook and Jeff Meldrum isn't far from it. Also,
> there's pretty much no reason at all to suspect
> that gigantopiths were biped and every reason to
> suspect that they weren't - the 'reconstrutions'
> of them as huge hairy humans is, to be as kind as
> I can be, wishful thinking.

I think these things are really animals or at least natural animals like apes at all. I have a friend (named Magee) that thinks these things might have been used by some advanced race as "Workers", living underground and coming up from time to time to "Fix" something and then disappear back underground. Think about it...If (and I mean if) these things were real, then how come we've never found a skeleton or the tracks just seem to disappear? The answer is, either they're going underground or beaming back up to some UFO. Either way, I don't think they're some dumb animal or man-apes.

Posted by: Melinda Ardinger ()
Date: February 07, 2014 09:23PM

The real "Monster" here are the Northern Virginians who didn't stop to help this poor, defenseless hulking creature. Poor thing, it's UFO probably crashlanded and no one helped him. Boo! I am so ashamed of you Northern Virginians!
Attachments:
imagesQIQW8HNC.jpg

Date: February 08, 2014 02:17AM

>how come we've never found a skeleton or the tracks just seem to disappear? The answer is, either they're going underground or beaming back up to some UFO.

William of Occam would slice away at this answer which is vastly more complicated than the one which is likely correct: they don't exist. I really wish we lived in a world with relic bipeds in it but there isn't a smidge of evidence that we actually do.

Posted by: NHJTW ()
Date: February 08, 2014 05:57AM

abelard Wrote:
> >how come we've never found a skeleton or the
> tracks just seem to disappear? The answer is,
> either they're going underground or beaming back
> up to some UFO.
>
> William of Occam would slice away at this answer
> which is vastly more complicated than the one
> which is likely correct: they don't exist. I
> really wish we lived in a world with relic bipeds
> in it but there isn't a smidge of evidence that we
> actually do.

There is some evidence, but it's anecdotal evidence at best. Still it would be interesting to find out.

Posted by: 9HUX6 ()
Date: February 08, 2014 05:58AM

Melinda Ardinger Wrote:
> The real "Monster" here are the Northern
> Virginians who didn't stop to help this poor,
> defenseless hulking creature. Poor thing, it's UFO
> probably crashlanded and no one helped him. Boo! I
> am so ashamed of you Northern Virginians!

I think you're the "real" Mt. Vernon Monster. Ensnarling traffic with your gas guzzling, liberal mobile.

Posted by: Curious about the tape ()
Date: February 09, 2014 10:42AM

> For nine noisy months, the mystery creature has haunted a patch
> of woods surrounded by $150,000 homes near Mount
> Vernon, wrecking the peace and defying spotting
> and identification. Local teen-agers have caught
> its act on tape. It goes something like:
> "ooahkra-ah," or "eeveakgoo-ah." or even
> "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."

9 months seems like a long time for a creature to be operating that area without being caught. Does anyone have a copy of the sounds it made? And if so can you post them here?

Date: February 09, 2014 05:24PM

>9 months seems like a long time for a creature to be operating that area without being caught.

I can't believe that nobody flew bullets at it, human faker or squatch or whatever it was. People round these parts have guns and they get excited - pretty sure I wouldn't want to be out there hoaxing. I don't think this adds weight to one side or the other, for what that's worth.

>There is some evidence, but it's anecdotal evidence at best. Still it would be interesting to find out.

One problem (of many) with this 'evidence'; the eyewitness accounts and pictures get 'better' (more specifically 'non-human' and scary looking) as their quality goes down. The grainier (or more suspicious) the shot, the more likely it is to be seen as genuine, just as the brief, ran-though-the-headlights sightings are often the squatchiest, describing an obviously humanoid, albeit fucking huge.

This is an alarming trend, and for what it's worth, not inevitable with human witnesses. With, for instance, UFOs, the better the quality of the sighting (longer, clear day, close up, by pilots, etc), the more likely it is to be judged as genuinely unidentified. And there have been some surprisingly clear and prolonged sightings by qualified observers, like Kelly Johnson.

I'm not sold on UFOs by any stretch but as unlikely shit goes, it seems yards ahead of bigfoot. Just once I'd like to hear of one single sighting of a one by anyone who's spent some time with non-human primates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 06:03PM by abelard.

Posted by: samsquanches ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:46PM

Behold, your monster!

blue_peacock.jpg

Date: February 09, 2014 07:26PM

abelard Wrote:
> >9 months seems like a long time for a creature to
> be operating that area without being caught.
>
> I can't believe that nobody flew bullets at it,
> human faker or squatch or whatever it was. People
> round these parts have guns and they get excited -
> pretty sure I wouldn't want to be out there
> hoaxing. I don't think this adds weight to one
> side or the other, for what that's worth.
>
> >There is some evidence, but it's anecdotal
> evidence at best. Still it would be interesting to
> find out.
>
> One problem (of many) with this 'evidence'; the
> eyewitness accounts and pictures get 'better'
> (more specifically 'non-human' and scary looking)
> as their quality goes down. The grainier
> (or more suspicious) the shot, the more likely it
> is to be seen as genuine, just as the brief,
> ran-though-the-headlights sightings are often the
> squatchiest, describing an obviously humanoid,
> albeit fucking huge.
>
> This is an alarming trend, and for what it's
> worth, not inevitable with human witnesses. With,
> for instance, UFOs, the better the quality of the
> sighting (longer, clear day, close up, by pilots,
> etc), the more likely it is to be judged as
> genuinely unidentified. And there have been some
> surprisingly clear and prolonged sightings by
> qualified observers, like Kelly Johnson.
>
> I'm not sold on UFOs by any stretch but as
> unlikely shit goes, it seems yards ahead of
> bigfoot. Just once I'd like to hear of one single
> sighting of a one by anyone who's spent some time
> with non-human primates.

I've lived in a haunted house and seen a UFO up close (Ghost let me in my house and the UFO was above our property for nearly 20 minutes). I find myself being forced to be a little more open minded about these things than most people.

Date: February 09, 2014 11:33PM

>I find myself being forced to be a little more open minded about these things than most people.

I too have encountered a few strange things along the way, Curious, but the truth is that I'm not sure that personal experience with one odd thing makes any of the others any more or less plausible. I'm also not sure that such experiences have anything to do with being 'open minded'. Gospel truth - I or my colleagues are the folks who'll be called in the moment somebody finds actual evidence of bigfeet, and nobody will be happier to get that call than us. I'm not exactly waiting by the phone for this one, but not because I simply refuse to believe that what I already think might actually be wrong. I'd love to be wrong about this. But in the absence of solid evidence (including tons of stuff that, arguably, should easily have been found by now in abundance), I've gotta say I'm not hopeful. I'm open to the possibility but wishing does not make it so, alas.

I'm also curious about your UFO sighting - do tell, if you've a mind to. I'm slightly more hopeful that there may be something in all that stuff, possibly because it's a bit outside my professional wheelhouse. Love to see one for myself.

Date: February 10, 2014 07:07AM

abelard Wrote:
> I'm also curious about your UFO sighting - do
> tell, if you've a mind to. I'm slightly more
> hopeful that there may be something in all that
> stuff, possibly because it's a bit outside my
> professional wheelhouse. Love to see one for
> myself.

Sure, It happened back in mid-September in 1983 in Amissville VA about a month before we moved back to Fairfax County (Herndon). My family and I were driving home after eating dinner in Warrenton VA. We came home and the UFO was hovering over the wooded area next to our house. Our property was mostly surrounded by Farms, with one neighbor who had Lamas and animals like that next door. Anyway the craft was very large (About as big as the stadium at Nationals Park), and it sat there for about twenty minutes, slowly moving North and then changed direction and headed East and then Southeast. It was similiar in appearance to a a double flying Mayan pyramid (pyramid on top, upside down pyramid on the bottom).

It had multiple lights on it, for each tier or "Step" a line of single lights. In addition in had several groups where there were (3) lights in a cluster (like 3 spotlights grouped together). It made very little sound, other than a hum. The only thing scary about it was the clustered lights (the lights grouped in three's). Those lights would quickly move and shine on anything that moved. We had a very long driveway and at the end of it, we had a mailbox and a tree there. That particular night it was breezy and then towards the end of the sighting it was a little windier. So these lights were constantly "Locking on" and shining on things that were moving. At the time we saw it we weren't even at our driveway yet, the road we lived on snaked around like a mishapen letter "C". So in other words we and all our neighbors could see the UFO, because at the time there were no tall trees in the sections between our houses. Today that's not the case. Anyway, we eventually creeped up to our driveway in the family car,
and that's when the UFO shined its lights on us. It scared the piss out of us but nothing happened. The UFO then slowly moved off in an East and then South east direction away from us.

Several neighbors saw it and talked about in the days that followed. I'm not sure how many actually reported it (we didn't). It really blew my parents' minds at the time. I think I was most calm and collected after the fact.
I spoke to Mrs. Swane from across the street, they owned Hoo Ping Hollow Farm and their families had been in the area since Pre-Civil War times. She told us that the UFO comes about every 50 years. If thats true then the UFO would
appear next in 2033.

The UFO appeared to be old, it had sort of a gold coloring to its hull. On one side it was blacked and charred like it had been burnt (burned on re-entry?). It seemed to be taking its time until our car was right near it, then it left. I was given the impression that it was completely unconcerned with anything interuptting it. I think that this thing had a minimal crew and they were busy doing other things.

We've speculated as to why it was there and came up with a few theories:

1). It was a surveyor ship of some kind, tracking minerals. We had alot of wooden area around our house, the area it was hovering over had a huge rock imbedded in the ground and there was lots and lots of flint around. This was also true in one wooded area directly behind our house

2). The property we were on was somehow significant to them. We did find lots of interesting things there in the 9 years we were there. We found old Civil War materials (old carthridges, wrappings, clothing, and fencing near the left corner of our property in an area that had lots of vines, rocks/boulders, and was overgrown. The last year we were there, I found a small clearing just within the treeline in our backyard on the left (about halfway from the house to the treeline at the back of our yard. (Most of backyard was clear, except there was an area in the middle that had an underground spring that would bubble up now and then. Anyway, in that small clearing we found a bull's skull sitting off to the side of this near perfect circle clearing about 10' x 10'. The grass (inside this treeline now) was a different color green, much lighter than the grass we had on the property. Now we had been there for 9 years and I had explored those woods many times with my family. It was very odd to have missed this during that time. Very weird.

3). The Farms that were around us, and the neighbor next door with the lamas. After hearing about cattle mutilations, we thought maybe they were interested in the cattle. However there were not mutilations at all in our area during the time we were there and as far as I know not after we left. Now, on the other side of the county years later, a friend I went to school with reported several consecutive cattle mutilations on their property and they weren't able to catch whoever or whatever it was doing it. ***Note: I had a pet rabbit that lived outside in a special cage that was made by a friend (the one who sold us the rabbit). This cage was not standard, but large, had heavy metal (I can't think of the type) with (2) cage doors on it. We found the rabbit eaten in front our house almost two weeks to the day we saw the UFO.

Aftermath:

In the next few weeks there was also some weird activity, some people came door to door in our neighborhood asking about the UFO. At the same time, we had (2) new kids ride our bus too that asked us about the UFO on a daily basis. To give you an idea how they would do this, they would start talking and bring up the UFO. We'd quickly change the subject to something like Football. They'd talk about it and then ask about the UFO again. They got on the bus about two stops down from our house (at one of the farms) and we didn't know who they were (small community we knew everyone). They rode our bus for about two weeks and suddenly stopped riding the bus and going to our school. This was right before we moved.

Looking back on it now, I sometimes think they were young looking adults (possibly working undercover) to find out more about the UFO sighting, but this is pure speculation. We moved in October to Herndon and only talk about it once in a while.

Posted by: vJm9y ()
Date: February 11, 2014 06:56AM

Cool UFO story!

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: February 11, 2014 09:37AM

> It goes something like: "ooahkra-ah," or
> "eeveakgoo-ah." or even "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."

I know for a fact it goes "ooh-WAH-AH-AH-AH!" I hear it on DC101 all the time.

I'M A FIVE-STAR MAN!!

Posted by: Curious to know ()
Date: February 12, 2014 08:49AM

I'm curious to know if George Washington or any of his staff ever report anything like Bigfoot or UFOs in the area?

Posted by: BUTT SLASHER ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:04AM

Has anybody ever considered that the "monster" was just a homeless guy, getting high and not wanting any damn kids bothering his ass, while he gets his buzz on?

Posted by: Michelle-O ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:21AM

Bigfeets lives in DC.

Posted by: My Interest in Bigfoot ()
Date: February 18, 2014 09:46AM

Unlike many Bigfoot researchers my interest in Bigfoot didnt start with movies called Sasquatch, The Legend of Bigfoot or The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas. These movies are now considered classics in the Bigfoot field. While growing up in Northwest Connecticut, I cant remember if any these movies ever made it to the local cinema.
My interest in these creatures happened by chance. I had purchased a Whites Eagle Spectrum metal detector to search the hills of Northern Virginia for Civil War relics. It was a new hobby for me, it got me outdoors and I found it enjoyable. I learned many things about the life and times during the Civil War. The manual for the detector stated its best to learn proper use of a detector on your own land Make a fool of yourself in your own backyard before you start digging up other peoples property. I took that saying to heart. Before long, I had potholes all over the place. I did find some Civil War coat buttons, some bullets and even a Confederate stirrup. Later I found out that my backyard was actually on land that the Confederate Calvary occupied for a short time.

It was a short time later I was invited to spend a day metal detecting around some abandoned gold mines located in Culpeper County Virginia. It was mid March and the trees were still barren of leaves. After a fun day of stomping around the woods we headed back to my friends house. It was about 3:30 PM. The three of us were walking down a hard packed logging trail when all of a sudden my friend stopped and stretched out his arms and said stop! I need to add that my friend served three tours of Vietnam as a point man and at that time worked as Special Agent in the US Government. He has sense retired. After stopping he pointed towards the woods and said, follow from my shoulder to the tip of my finger, 75 feet behind that tree is a man! At that point he drew his 9mm pistol that he carried and pointed it at the tree.

I later found out that he had seen this person out of his peripheral vision just before it saw him. Right after eye contact, the person hid beh.nd some trees. Being a special agent, he knew that woods were sometimes used by people to grow drugs and they sometimes stood guard over their area. That was the reason why he raised his pistol. It was soon apparent that this person was not a person at all. Within a few seconds, a large head looked right at us from the side of the tree. It pulled back and a split second later this thingtarted running right in front of us. It ran, and I mean ran from our left to right, arms swinging legs outstretched! Its speed and lack of noise while running contributed to the experience. It continued running and then it used its foot to pivot off a six-inch pine tree. At that point it continued to run away from us, down a hill and then out of sight. As the creature ran away from us, you could see its huge shoulders moving back and forth until it went out of sight.

I have never seen such massive shoulder muscles, the whole body was built for speed and agility. That sighting will always be etched in my mind. We went back the next day to look for anything that could help us understand what this creature was. We did locate a great footprint where the creature placed its foot before it jumped over a small creek. We also found the pine tree where the bark was pushed to the ground. The damage to the tree confirmed the creature did use it to pivot off of when it made the turn. In most other Bigfoot sightings the creature will just turn and walk away from the people. This sighting was different. I think the creature deliberately ran in front of us to draw our attention from what was following behind it. What it was we will never know. It could have been family unit or its mate. But this creature took a big chance by running directly in front of us.

I have spent many long hours hiking and studying the land, we have found several other Bigfoot type footprints, all of them different in size. I have even deployed a video surveillance system that would be activated only when an animal or person passed in front of it. I have gotten lots of deer, birds, and all types of other animals, tut no Bigfoot. There were a few times when something would approach the camera, which was supported seven feet high in a tree. Most of the activations occurred around 1:00 to 2:00 am. I also had a microphone recording as well. You could here something approach the camera and tap the housing that the camera was located. Then a few seconds later you could hear it walk back into the dense woods.

But what really bugged me was that some of the video showed deer looking directly into the camera lens from about twenty feet away. The deer ears would twitch around but would always point towards the camera. I theorized that the deer could hear the camera operating so I purchased an ultrasonic leak detector from the online auction house Ebay.

Ultrasonic leak detectors are used to locate extremely small leaks in pressure vessels.

It was then I found out that the camera I was using did produce ultrasonic sound, it is generated by the horizontal sync on the CCD chip within the camera. Not only the camera I had deployed in the woods, but also most surveillance cameras did the same. Even handheld video cameras produce ultrasonic sound. After experimenting with the detector outdoors, I realized that even walking on grass or walking through the woods produces large amounts of ultrasonic sound. In my opinion, I think animals like deer can hear the ultrasonic sound our electronic cameras produce, even hear us as we carefully walk through the woods. Does this mean Bigfoot can hear into the ultrasonic range, I dont know for sure. But I have a hunch they can.

After a few years of hiking around the countryside I decided that I was really no closer to finding an answer to my mounting questions. So I placed an ad in the Northern Virginia Electric Co-Op. Its a magazine that is mailed to all its members throughout Virginia. I thought an ad might generate a few calls about possible Bigfoot sightings here in Virginia. I was wrong, the first ad produced 26 calls and the second produced 20 calls. Most of the calls were from hunters that had seen these creatures while hunting. I could tell by their voices they had seen the same type of animal that I saw. Many of them would not even tell their spouses or friends out of ridicule. I would spend hours on the phone gathering information about the sightings. Many people had heard of the Sasquatch or Bigfoot in the Pacific Northwest, but could not believe that these creatures could possibly reside alongside us here in Virginia. There were even hunters that stopped hunting after their sighting, they are too scared to travel into the wood again. Other calls included homeowners that had seen the creatures while taking out the trash at night or just driving down country roads in the evening.

I did travel to several of the sighting areas to deploy video surveillance equipment. But many problems arose, such as power outages and equipment breakdown. I would have the cab of my truck loaded with cameras, enclosures, cables and infrared detectors.

This is when I decided to purchase and outfit a vehicle just for my Bigfoot studies. I needed a vehicle that would hold all my electronic surveillance equipment and the batteries to power it all. Sense most of the sightings happen during the nighttime hours I decided the vehicle should be equipped with a shower, bathroom and sleeping quarters.

A motor home would work out just right. But as I was looking for a motor home, I stumbled across a 1989 mobile veterinarian clinic. It was for sale at a local car repair shop because the owner did not want to put anymore money into it. The owner had purchased a new mobile unit and was trying to sell the old one. SOLD!

With a little time and money, I knew I could convert this vehicle into a great research platform. Well, the little time dragged into a year and the money kept adding up.

Its amazing what a 10-second Bigfoot sighting can do. I finally have it finished and have been to sighting areas in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia. Fellow researchers and I even entertained a French film crew for a long weekend. They produced a made for TV documentary called Hunters of Unknown Animals Most of the filming was shot here in Virginia, with other shots in Maryland and Pennsylvania. It was hard work but everyone had fun. I hope it turns out well, filmmakers are well known to turn boring documentaries into spectacular events.

I will place new ads in hopes that even more people will come forth and let me know of their sightings. I will also travel throughout Virginia documenting sighting and talking to lots of great people. Its very difficult for people to explain what they saw, but they know it was some type of unknown creature. I know that these creatures exist and I would like to see one up close, I really want to look into the eyes of one of these animals. Maybe then I can get on with my life. This has been a time consuming and costly hobby for me but I wouldnt trade it for the world!

Also, I would never want any harm to come to these creatures. I think they have been around this planet a lot longer than we have and would hate to see them disappear because of mans ever increasing need for development. I hope they will remain with us for generations to come. Maybe they can teach us a thing or two!

If you're interested, please come check out our website:
http://www.virginiabigfootresearch.org/my_sighting.htm

Posted by: My Interest in Bigfoot ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:01AM

Here in Virginia?

When the name 'bigfoot' is mentioned, most people immediately think, "only in the pacific northwest". Well, that could not be further then the truth. Virginia has some the oldest sightings on record, with some pre-1880's.
With many sightings in the 1970's and again in the 1990's, Virginia is a hotbed of bigfoot activity and a prime area for research.
Attachments:
image002.gif

Posted by: WasInVAnowInDC ()
Date: March 15, 2014 07:14PM

I would like to answer those who exclaim that the screams sometimes heard are a peacock.

Place South Central VA (Piedmont Area)...

When I was 23 coming home from work at 3:00AM in early April when the blue hours start before dawn and street lights grow to a dim glow. All of a sudden I heard an extremely loud AhhiieeEEEK (I've shortened the closet phonetic down to 1/2 a second as to fully capture it would be more than a bit long). Blow a whistle for that long, the ball adds a twirling tweel --- now take that tweel out and it is pitch perfect. What I heard was if you try to make that sound for 2 seconds extending that 1/2. I am not saying it was a Bigfoot but it scared the hell out of me. I heard it twice about two minutes apart. It was close enough that it echoed up and out and came from behind. When I heard it I dropped my house keys in the grass off aways. The last time I again dropped my keys at the door; I never have bent so fast and unlocked a door any quicker.

Now I know all the sounds a peacock makes; much like turkey there's distinct doubling up of it scream and between each a trailing vocal a bit softer like a KahikikowlKahiki (would be similar, but what I heard didn't have that guttural break similar to the tweel it's part of the fowl's anatomy that does the same thing). I know this because I grew up around one. See a neighbor had one in a coop across the road (down off the slope on the other side of the hill) along with about twelve coon dogs near the pen. First off, if the peacock made a sound it would set quite a few of them off. And as I was on the slope's opposite side farther down a rising echo behind me was not possible; the hill's top rides about 2 miles along getting steeper off my side of the hill until it cliff's above a small river.

Anyways, I knew it was not that peacock, but didn't know what it was. There was no trade marks of bear or feline nor of canine howls/growls. After each time the sound was heard all was silent. At 3AM in early April in South central VA small birds start vocalizing. Not even birds. It was creepy.

All I know is I had never heard it so I wasn't sure what I was dealing with but it had to be 25 yards away (which by the way would have put it at the bottom of a slope surrounded by some steeper hills). I didn't see anything nor was I looking. My only concern was that I never heard it before. Say it was just a Bobcat or something, no matter what size it could reach me pretty quick no matter its size.

If Bigfoots do exist or if they are tall tales, my experience does raise my eyebrow. I'd say I'm a skeptic seeing as a new 6 foot tall chimpanzee species was filmed just a few years ago that had been known in native folklore in Africa for over a century. But for me to know it and say that I had an encounter with a Bigfoot I would have had to physically seen it and seen it make that sound. Would that make me credible for scientific proof? I'd say no. I'm not a biologist, hunter, woodsman, etc.

But as far as the peacock theory it is pretty weak with me. Yeah they sound like a woman's scream somewhat but they are identifiably peacock calls. These other reported sounds may or may not be peacocks or whatever. What and how long they heard it and the physical landscape description are needed at least to count out a peacock and identify it so or help identify it.

For myself if you know of something that could make that sound please post what you think. I'm curious to this day what scared me half to death. Oh, it wasn't a fox (I now live in DC and encounter plenty of them around Rock Creek Park) so I've heard them a bit. As to my directional hearing, I heard a Barn Owl just this past Wednesday around 5PM and I was able to spot it downwind from off behind my right up close the trunk of a tree.

Anyways believe or disbelief away. I'm not to judge another person; it's in my genetics.

Posted by: Wackadoo ()
Date: March 15, 2014 07:37PM

My Interest in Bigfoot Wrote:
> Here in Virginia?
>
> With many sightings in the 1970's and again in the
> 1990's, Virginia is a hotbed of bigfoot activity
> and a prime area for research.

Virginia is a hotbed of activity of wackadoos that believe in Bigfoot.

Posted by: 'Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science ()
Date: March 15, 2014 10:20PM

'Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6469070

Anthropologist, author and scientist Jeff Meldrum talks about the evidence for (and against) the existence of Bigfoot. Are there animals hiding in the woods that we know nothing about? Meldrum's new book is Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science.

Go here to listen to this here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6469070
Attachments:
lineupWeb_v4_1231.jpg

Posted by: ????? ()
Date: March 16, 2014 12:16AM

WasInVAnowInDC Wrote:
> I would like to answer those who exclaim that the
> screams sometimes heard are a peacock.
>
> Place South Central VA (Piedmont Area)...
>
> When I was 23 coming home from work at 3:00AM in
> early April when the blue hours start before dawn
> and street lights grow to a dim glow. All of a
> sudden I heard an extremely loud AhhiieeEEEK
> (I've shortened the closet phonetic down to 1/2 a
> second as to fully capture it would be more than a
> bit long). Blow a whistle for that long, the ball
> adds a twirling tweel --- now take that tweel out
> and it is pitch perfect. What I heard was if you
> try to make that sound for 2 seconds extending
> that 1/2. I am not saying it was a Bigfoot but it
> scared the hell out of me. I heard it twice about
> two minutes apart. It was close enough that it
> echoed up and out and came from behind. When I
> heard it I dropped my house keys in the grass off
> aways. The last time I again dropped my keys at
> the door; I never have bent so fast and unlocked a
> door any quicker.
>
> Now I know all the sounds a peacock makes; much
> like turkey there's distinct doubling up of it
> scream and between each a trailing vocal a bit
> softer like a KahikikowlKahiki
> (would be similar, but what I heard didn't have
> that guttural break similar to the tweel it's part
> of the fowl's anatomy that does the same thing). I
> know this because I grew up around one. See a
> neighbor had one in a coop across the road (down
> off the slope on the other side of the hill) along
> with about twelve coon dogs near the pen. First
> off, if the peacock made a sound it would set
> quite a few of them off. And as I was on the
> slope's opposite side farther down a rising echo
> behind me was not possible; the hill's top rides
> about 2 miles along getting steeper off my side of
> the hill until it cliff's above a small river.
>
> Anyways, I knew it was not that peacock, but
> didn't know what it was. There was no trade marks
> of bear or feline nor of canine howls/growls.
> After each time the sound was heard all was
> silent. At 3AM in early April in South central VA
> small birds start vocalizing. Not even birds. It
> was creepy.
>
> All I know is I had never heard it so I wasn't
> sure what I was dealing with but it had to be 25
> yards away (which by the way would have put it at
> the bottom of a slope surrounded by some steeper
> hills). I didn't see anything nor was I looking.
> My only concern was that I never heard it before.
> Say it was just a Bobcat or something, no matter
> what size it could reach me pretty quick no matter
> its size.
>
> If Bigfoots do exist or if they are tall tales, my
> experience does raise my eyebrow. I'd say I'm a
> skeptic seeing as a new 6 foot tall chimpanzee
> species was filmed just a few years ago that had
> been known in native folklore in Africa for over a
> century. But for me to know it and say that I had
> an encounter with a Bigfoot I would have had to
> physically seen it and seen it make that sound.
> Would that make me credible for scientific proof?
> I'd say no. I'm not a biologist, hunter, woodsman,
> etc.
>
> But as far as the peacock theory it is pretty weak
> with me. Yeah they sound like a woman's scream
> somewhat but they are identifiably peacock calls.
> These other reported sounds may or may not be
> peacocks or whatever. What and how long they heard
> it and the physical landscape description are
> needed at least to count out a peacock and
> identify it so or help identify it.
>
> For myself if you know of something that could
> make that sound please post what you think. I'm
> curious to this day what scared me half to death.
> Oh, it wasn't a fox (I now live in DC and
> encounter plenty of them around Rock Creek Park)
> so I've heard them a bit. As to my directional
> hearing, I heard a Barn Owl just this past
> Wednesday around 5PM and I was able to spot it
> downwind from off behind my right up close the
> trunk of a tree.
>
> Anyways believe or disbelief away. I'm not to
> judge another person; it's in my genetics.

What year did this take place?

Posted by: Liberals will believe anything ()
Date: March 17, 2014 03:11PM

Liberals will believe anything..."Free" Health care, open borders, Bigfoot.

Posted by: WasInVAnowInDC ()
Date: May 10, 2014 05:37PM

????? Wrote:
> WasInVAnowInDC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like to answer those who exclaim that
> the
> > screams sometimes heard are a peacock.
> >
> > Place South Central VA (Piedmont Area)...
> >
> > When I was 23 coming home from work at 3:00AM
> in
> > early April when the blue hours start before
> dawn
> > and street lights grow to a dim glow. All of a
> > sudden I heard an extremely loud AhhiieeEEEK
> > (I've shortened the closet phonetic down to 1/2
> a
> > second as to fully capture it would be more than
> a
> > bit long). Blow a whistle for that long, the
> ball
> > adds a twirling tweel --- now take that tweel
> out
> > and it is pitch perfect. What I heard was if
> you
> > try to make that sound for 2 seconds extending
> > that 1/2. I am not saying it was a Bigfoot but
> it
> > scared the hell out of me. I heard it twice
> about
> > two minutes apart. It was close enough that it
> > echoed up and out and came from behind. When I
> > heard it I dropped my house keys in the grass
> off
> > aways. The last time I again dropped my keys at
> > the door; I never have bent so fast and unlocked
> a
> > door any quicker.
> >
> > Now I know all the sounds a peacock makes; much
> > like turkey there's distinct doubling up of it
> > scream and between each a trailing vocal a bit
> > softer like a
> KahikikowlKahiki
> > (would be similar, but what I heard didn't have
> > that guttural break similar to the tweel it's
> part
> > of the fowl's anatomy that does the same thing).
> I
> > know this because I grew up around one. See a
> > neighbor had one in a coop across the road
> (down
> > off the slope on the other side of the hill)
> along
> > with about twelve coon dogs near the pen. First
> > off, if the peacock made a sound it would set
> > quite a few of them off. And as I was on the
> > slope's opposite side farther down a rising
> echo
> > behind me was not possible; the hill's top
> rides
> > about 2 miles along getting steeper off my side
> of
> > the hill until it cliff's above a small river.
> >
> > Anyways, I knew it was not that peacock, but
> > didn't know what it was. There was no trade
> marks
> > of bear or feline nor of canine howls/growls.
> > After each time the sound was heard all was
> > silent. At 3AM in early April in South central
> VA
> > small birds start vocalizing. Not even birds.
> It
> > was creepy.
> >
> > All I know is I had never heard it so I wasn't
> > sure what I was dealing with but it had to be
> 25
> > yards away (which by the way would have put it
> at
> > the bottom of a slope surrounded by some
> steeper
> > hills). I didn't see anything nor was I
> looking.
> > My only concern was that I never heard it
> before.
> > Say it was just a Bobcat or something, no
> matter
> > what size it could reach me pretty quick no
> matter
> > its size.
> >
> > If Bigfoots do exist or if they are tall tales,
> my
> > experience does raise my eyebrow. I'd say I'm a
> > skeptic seeing as a new 6 foot tall chimpanzee
> > species was filmed just a few years ago that
> had
> > been known in native folklore in Africa for over
> a
> > century. But for me to know it and say that I
> had
> > an encounter with a Bigfoot I would have had to
> > physically seen it and seen it make that sound.
> > Would that make me credible for scientific
> proof?
> > I'd say no. I'm not a biologist, hunter,
> woodsman,
> > etc.
> >
> > But as far as the peacock theory it is pretty
> weak
> > with me. Yeah they sound like a woman's scream
> > somewhat but they are identifiably peacock
> calls.
> > These other reported sounds may or may not be
> > peacocks or whatever. What and how long they
> heard
> > it and the physical landscape description are
> > needed at least to count out a peacock and
> > identify it so or help identify it.
> >
> > For myself if you know of something that could
> > make that sound please post what you think. I'm
> > curious to this day what scared me half to
> death.
> > Oh, it wasn't a fox (I now live in DC and
> > encounter plenty of them around Rock Creek
> Park)
> > so I've heard them a bit. As to my directional
> > hearing, I heard a Barn Owl just this past
> > Wednesday around 5PM and I was able to spot it
> > downwind from off behind my right up close the
> > trunk of a tree.
> >
> > Anyways believe or disbelief away. I'm not to
> > judge another person; it's in my genetics.
>
> What year did this take place?

In 1992.

Posted by: Curious to know ()
Date: May 10, 2014 06:48PM

WasInVAnowInDC Wrote:
> ????? Wrote:
> -----
> > WasInVAnowInDC Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I would like to answer those who exclaim that
> > the
> > > screams sometimes heard are a peacock.
> > >
> > > Place South Central VA (Piedmont Area)...
> > >
> > > When I was 23 coming home from work at 3:00AM
> > in
> > > early April when the blue hours start before
> > dawn
> > > and street lights grow to a dim glow. All of
> a
> > > sudden I heard an extremely loud AhhiieeEEEK
> > > (I've shortened the closet phonetic down to
> 1/2
> > a
> > > second as to fully capture it would be more
> than
> > a
> > > bit long). Blow a whistle for that long, the
> > ball
> > > adds a twirling tweel --- now take that tweel
> > out
> > > and it is pitch perfect. What I heard was if
> > you
> > > try to make that sound for 2 seconds
> extending
> > > that 1/2. I am not saying it was a Bigfoot
> but
> > it
> > > scared the hell out of me. I heard it twice
> > about
> > > two minutes apart. It was close enough that
> it
> > > echoed up and out and came from behind. When
> I
> > > heard it I dropped my house keys in the grass
> > off
> > > aways. The last time I again dropped my keys
> at
> > > the door; I never have bent so fast and
> unlocked
> > a
> > > door any quicker.
> > >
> > > Now I know all the sounds a peacock makes;
> much
> > > like turkey there's distinct doubling up of
> it
> > > scream and between each a trailing vocal a
> bit
> > > softer like a
> > KahikikowlKahiki
> > > (would be similar, but what I heard didn't
> have
> > > that guttural break similar to the tweel it's
> > part
> > > of the fowl's anatomy that does the same
> thing).
> > I
> > > know this because I grew up around one. See a
> > > neighbor had one in a coop across the road
> > (down
> > > off the slope on the other side of the hill)
> > along
> > > with about twelve coon dogs near the pen.
> First
> > > off, if the peacock made a sound it would set
> > > quite a few of them off. And as I was on the
> > > slope's opposite side farther down a rising
> > echo
> > > behind me was not possible; the hill's top
> > rides
> > > about 2 miles along getting steeper off my
> side
> > of
> > > the hill until it cliff's above a small
> river.
> > >
> > > Anyways, I knew it was not that peacock, but
> > > didn't know what it was. There was no trade
> > marks
> > > of bear or feline nor of canine howls/growls.
> > > After each time the sound was heard all was
> > > silent. At 3AM in early April in South
> central
> > VA
> > > small birds start vocalizing. Not even birds.
> > It
> > > was creepy.
> > >
> > > All I know is I had never heard it so I
> wasn't
> > > sure what I was dealing with but it had to be
> > 25
> > > yards away (which by the way would have put
> it
> > at
> > > the bottom of a slope surrounded by some
> > steeper
> > > hills). I didn't see anything nor was I
> > looking.
> > > My only concern was that I never heard it
> > before.
> > > Say it was just a Bobcat or something, no
> > matter
> > > what size it could reach me pretty quick no
> > matter
> > > its size.
> > >
> > > If Bigfoots do exist or if they are tall
> tales,
> > my
> > > experience does raise my eyebrow. I'd say I'm
> a
> > > skeptic seeing as a new 6 foot tall
> chimpanzee
> > > species was filmed just a few years ago that
> > had
> > > been known in native folklore in Africa for
> over
> > a
> > > century. But for me to know it and say that I
> > had
> > > an encounter with a Bigfoot I would have had
> to
> > > physically seen it and seen it make that
> sound.
> > > Would that make me credible for scientific
> > proof?
> > > I'd say no. I'm not a biologist, hunter,
> > woodsman,
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > But as far as the peacock theory it is pretty
> > weak
> > > with me. Yeah they sound like a woman's
> scream
> > > somewhat but they are identifiably peacock
> > calls.
> > > These other reported sounds may or may not be
> > > peacocks or whatever. What and how long they
> > heard
> > > it and the physical landscape description are
> > > needed at least to count out a peacock and
> > > identify it so or help identify it.
> > >
> > > For myself if you know of something that
> could
> > > make that sound please post what you think.
> I'm
> > > curious to this day what scared me half to
> > death.
> > > Oh, it wasn't a fox (I now live in DC and
> > > encounter plenty of them around Rock Creek
> > Park)
> > > so I've heard them a bit. As to my
> directional
> > > hearing, I heard a Barn Owl just this past
> > > Wednesday around 5PM and I was able to spot
> it
> > > downwind from off behind my right up close
> the
> > > trunk of a tree.
> > >
> > > Anyways believe or disbelief away. I'm not to
> > > judge another person; it's in my genetics.
> >
> > What year did this take place?
>
> In 1992.

Where is there a peacock in Fairfax County other than a zoo or a farm?

Posted by: DNvwK ()
Date: September 11, 2014 09:11AM

My thoughts exactly.

http://timetravel21.blogspot.com/2011/06/mount-vernon-monster-bigfoot.html

On May 12, 1979, the front page of The Washington Post carried an article entitled,“The Mount Vernon Monster.” For nine months, in 1978 and 1979, a strange creature wailed and screamed nightly in the woods just a mile from historic Mount Vernon. Some people called it “The Mount Vernon Monster”, others “Bigfoot”. Whatever the creature may have been, it was elusive, frustrating capture attempts by the police, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, searches by volunteer youth patrols, and the determined efforts of the Fairfax County game warden to track it down. And thus an urban legend was born.

The story made its’ way into oral history projects, which are now being cited by monster hunters as historical authentication of the creature’s existence, “…one of the game wardens, said ‘The thing seems to know when you leave the woods, then it starts to holler.’ One resident said she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall, which lumbered into the woods after being sighted.”

The howling stopped as abruptly as it began, but the story lives on.
Attachments:
bigfoot-red-eyed-300x300.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.