HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I want to compile a full list of still operating Giant & Safeway stores in NOVA from back in the day which have yet to be remodeled from the outside or the inside?
Posted by: Overnight Shifter. ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:21AM

I think the Safeway off of Fort Hunt Rd still has yet to be remodeled from either the outside or the inside.

Are there any others you can think of?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to compile a full list of still operating Giant & Safeway stores in NOVA from back in the day which have yet to be remodeled from the outside or the inside?
Posted by: shopper2 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 05:24AM

Middleburg Safeway.

Re: I want to compile a full list of still operating Giant & Safeway stores in NOVA from back in the day which have yet to be remodeled from the outside or the inside?
Posted by: mjs ()
Date: July 14, 2015 06:52AM

the old safeway in Mclean on chainbridge... its a smallish store...

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 14, 2015 06:56AM

Little Safeway in south Old Town is kinda funny.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: LOVE EM ()
Date: July 14, 2015 07:31AM

Love the small stores. They have most everything you need, and you can get in and out of EM in 10-15 minutes.

Big stores may have shelves upon shelves of speciality items, but they're counting on customers to buy more stuff because it takes a lot longer to navigate the stores...the longer you stay, they more you'll pay.

Posted by: Joan Kennedy ()
Date: July 14, 2015 07:34AM

The Chesterbrook Safeway in McLean. Talk about a dirty dump!

Posted by: Ft Hunter ()
Date: July 14, 2015 09:39AM

Overnight Shifter. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Safeway off of Fort Hunt Rd still has
> yet to be remodeled from either the outside or the
> inside.
>
> Are there any others you can think of?

Guess again. At least on the inside, it was done 4-5 years ago.

The one on S. Royal in Old Town, on the other hand . . . .

Posted by: GMUguy ()
Date: July 14, 2015 10:19AM

University Mall Giant at 123/Braddock Rd. I think it's the only one left.

Date: July 14, 2015 11:29AM

The Giant in the center of Annandale goes way back

Posted by: twMLv ()
Date: July 14, 2015 11:38AM

The university mall giant at Braddock and 123 is pretty outdated. Still has the red decor. Anyone know if its slated for an update? The rest of the shopping center just got one.

Posted by: Long Time Ago ()
Date: July 14, 2015 11:42AM

Does anyone remember the Safeway Store at the big intersection in Fairfax City? It was there at 29/211 & 50.

It was very close to the Hi-Gear store and about a quarter mile from the Grand Union Store. It closed in 1972 and became a carpet store.

This old Safeway is not to be confused with the old Safeway in the University Shopping Center that moved across the street to it's new location in 1978.

Posted by: I agree. ()
Date: July 14, 2015 01:44PM

LOVE EM Wrote:
> Love the small stores. They have most everything
> you need, and you can get in and out of EM in
> 10-15 minutes.
>
> Big stores may have shelves upon shelves of
> speciality items, but they're counting on
> customers to buy more stuff because it takes a lot
> longer to navigate the stores...the longer you
> stay, they more you'll pay.

I agree.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:29PM

Ft Hunter Wrote:
> The one on S. Royal in Old Town, on the other hand
> . . . .

Didn't that close earlier this year? My guess is that the owner was just waiting for the lease to expire.

Posted by: 4YnKJ ()
Date: July 14, 2015 05:08PM

Manassas Giant off Sudley Road across from Dudley Martin Chevrolet.

Posted by: hHMwk ()
Date: July 14, 2015 06:18PM

Great Falls Safeway

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 14, 2015 06:46PM

Sorry. Giant in Old Town that closed was on N. Royal.

Posted by: Sambo ()
Date: July 15, 2015 10:34PM

The Giant on Monroe Ave in Del Ray (Alexandria) is pretty old school.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.