HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
applying to jobs and lying
Posted by: questioner ()
Date: May 06, 2015 09:53PM

How likely is it for jobs to ask for your college degree? I am applying for entery level jobs, but they are asking for college degree and I don't have one. If anyone in this site works a real job?? Did your job ask you for proof that you graduated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: applying to jobs and lying
Posted by: Not worth it ()
Date: May 06, 2015 10:00PM

No but don't lie

Posted by: Career Counselor ()
Date: May 06, 2015 10:32PM

Same as above: don't lie. Somewhere in either the application disclosures or if you get the job, the new employee documents there will be something that basically says if lied about something on your application and they find out then they can and likely will fire you without any other cause. And it's completely legal for them to do that as at the bottom of nearly every job application is a signature blocking attesting that to your knowledge everything on the form is accurate and correct.

Nearly all applications have a section for you to fill in for education: high school and college if an entry level or wage job and generally just college if a higher position. Don't worry, they won't hold it against you for not having a college degree if the job does not require a college degree.

Good luck with your job search and letting us know what you get.

Posted by: Don't Lie ()
Date: May 06, 2015 10:34PM

The world is a small place and business owners talk to each other. Don't lie.

Posted by: nGnLC ()
Date: May 07, 2015 12:24AM

questioner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How likely is it for jobs to ask for your college
> degree? I am applying for entery level jobs, but
> they are asking for college degree and I don't
> have one. If anyone in this site works a real
> job?? Did your job ask you for proof that you
> graduated?

What kind of job? Some professional employers will ask for transcripts, and most will make some calls to confirm important information. Even if they don't, you will always have the lie hanging over your head. You can find cases of people whose lives were shattered because they entered careers 20 years earlier with fraudulent credentials.

Tell the truth and be done with it.

Posted by: Truthh ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:11PM

Yes they will check

National student clearinghouse is used by like 99% of the companies. All they do is verify your college degree

Posted by: All Knowing One ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:24PM

God always knows.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:32PM

Don't lie. Shit comes out.

My favorite story along these lines:

2001, I'm working at an Internet startup. Sales manager comes over with a resume, says "This guy says he knows you". I look at it--sure enough, it's from a sales guy I had worked with over a decade earlier. I look further: he claims to have been top sales rep at the place where we worked together, 1986-1990.

I look at the sales manager and tell him, "I'm married to the top sales rep at that company from 1986-1990, and I'm pretty sure her name isn't "Bob" [not the actual name]. Needless to say, he wasn't hired. And that's in sales, where stretching the truth a bit is sort of the norm (e.g., "Achieved 200% of quota" -- ok, maybe it was 150%, but that's not going to get you caught).

Funny thing is, the guy was such a yutz that he had called out our connection--had he kept his mouth shut, the first I knew of him applying might have been the day he started!

Posted by: nhwVG ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:50PM

pay attention to whether the employer is lying to you

because they are, about something, i guarantee it

Posted by: HWpuH ()
Date: May 07, 2015 10:30PM

Truthh Wrote:
> Yes they will check
>
> National student clearinghouse is used by like 99%
> of the companies. All they do is verify your
> college degree

I had never heard of this. But it's apparently like a credit bureau for colleges. If you claim a degree you don't have and the employer requires one, you WILL get caught.
http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/about/what_we_do.php

Posted by: Home D BS Artist ()
Date: May 07, 2015 10:56PM

My former employer told me as they were verifying my degree.

Posted by: stupid student! ()
Date: May 07, 2015 11:03PM

Home D BS Artist Wrote:
> My former employer told me as they were verifying
> my degree.

They don't cover every school. Find out which ones they don't (your homework).

Or, tell them you went to a foreign school-McMaster in Canada, U. Westminster in the UK, Queen's College, Dublin, etc.

Posted by: JNy9L ()
Date: May 07, 2015 11:39PM

In this day and age, HR in most companies have documented proecudres requring them to verify education/certifications directly with the institute, or subscribe to a service provider who'd do the verification for them. Most if not all of them do verify education and other credentials if they are tied to remuneration, which they usually are.

In some cases, such as Government contract jobs, lying about such things will result in criminal prosecution when caught, which will happen eventually.

Posted by: Go get a degree, dumba$$ ()
Date: May 08, 2015 12:15AM

They will check, because your possible advancement within the company might be to positions that DO require a college degree, and they won't want to find out at that point that you do not qualify.

Posted by: they will TRY to check ()
Date: May 08, 2015 04:05PM

My degree is from a foreign school. Finally when I applied for the government job, it admitted they could not check it. I made myself written permission through the embassy, it still took six months. Government employment office said without job verification, I'd only start at GS-7.

But, one friend applied in a company. She signed the permission for the background check company. They could not get the degree. The company did not want to wait six months for the embassy process so they just hired her.

So this service of checking degrees is not perfect. If you say you have the foreign degree, you need to speak the language of the foreign school. That is why company believed my friend, she is obviously from this country.

Also it is sad if an American wastes his money to go such a school as Regent University which is just the seminary of the religious right and teaching the age of the earth is 4.000 years. I would not hire such the graduate.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.