HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX street sweeping
Posted by: County inaction ()
Date: April 14, 2015 03:34PM

When was the last time you say a gutter in Fairfax county swept of debris? Even D.C. is on the ball by comparison, running sweepers almost every week. Years can go by in Fairfax without a road being swept. The amount of gravel and silt on the roads an in the margins is staggering. VDOT should be handling most of this... is this area being shortchanged?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX street sweeping
Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 05:25PM

You are right, they (not quite sure who did this, but anyways...)used to come by after the last snow and sweep the gutter areas in neighborhood streets. It's been 2 years now, at least.

But since I don't rely on anyone but myself in the end, I took it upon myself to use my backpack leaf blower and blow the sand and silt out of the curbs and cleaned them myself. This was specifically for the area in front of my home, that's all.

Wish my neighbors took more initiative to spruce their own, but who knows. Maybe they are waiting too, for someone to come and clean it up for them.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 14, 2015 05:31PM

I cannot recall ever seeing a street sweeper operating in Fairfax County, except in construction zones. It has always been my assumption that it was the responsibility of the homeowner to handle this.

Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 07:40AM

how bout, you get your fat lazy ass off the couch, put down the bon-bons and go out and sweep your own curb.

Posted by: ocd too ()
Date: April 15, 2015 07:21PM

Agree it's terrible. so bed it looks like storm drains would be blocked in some areas. For example, Burke Lake Road down by the Lake Braddock and the Giant is awful. It would be nice if some sweeping could occur in the worst areas but I imagine the cost would be astronomical considering the miles of roadways. I personally sweep in front of my house. Luckily I live on a road that slopes downhill so most of the dirt gets swept down to storm drain eventually by the rain. Obviously no one could sweep a main roadway so I guess it's better to look up at the spring trees rather than to the vestiges of fall and winter in the gutters.

Posted by: Sanitation Department ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:16PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cannot recall ever seeing a street sweeper
> operating in Fairfax County, except in
> construction zones. It has always been my
> assumption that it was the responsibility of the
> homeowner to handle this.

Correct. Never saw one nor ever saw evidence of one.

The street cleaner is called homeowner with broom. Or if not a broke ass nog, homeowner with leaf blower.

Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:17PM

> The street cleaner is called homeowner with broom.
> Or if not a broke ass nog, homeowner with leaf
> blower.

Chain gang....

Posted by: Tons of fine gravel ()
Date: April 16, 2015 05:17PM

Of course a single homeowner can sweep the road in front of his house, or those of his neighbors. The roads around my house are heavy with road debris- near and in the gutters. I tried sweeping it up. I requires stepping in to traffic with a pushbroom, pulling sand and stones into the gutter, and lifting it into a wheelbarrow or trash can with a coal shovel. I estimate about 50 pounds of crap every ten feet. If I could pick it all, up, what would I do with it? I'd be tempted to deliver it to 12000 Government Center Parkway.

Posted by: JV ()
Date: April 16, 2015 07:32PM

The sand is from all the grit the county "over put" on the roads over the winter. The county needs to sweep it off now. I have been using a leaf blower in my neighborhood to try and get rid of it.

It is a hazard to motorcycles and the county is setting itself up for another lawsuit if they don't get rid of it.

Jay

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.