HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
is installing garage door hard ? the wires came off the the door slammed into the crete
Posted by: jack realton ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:01PM

Is installing garage door hard?

I know someone was moving in/out the same day. I hit the door opener to close it was unplucked. Unhooked the latch to do it manually - sshhhhhhhh WHAM ! Doors are slighly warped now, but maybe usable.

Had to be someone messing with the door during moving i just know it. But i know one side was a 1/8 higher than other do to damage on a different day.

The clopay people just installed that door a few years ago. the said bad installation is not covered. so much for clopay lifetime warrantee.

I looked at it and wires are unwound and unhooked on both sides.

Can it really be deadly re-installing a garage door or is that just hype?
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is installing garage door hard ? the wires came off the the door slammed into the crete
Posted by: jack realton ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:05PM

I forgot to say the wife is complaining her car is in the garage. The door is way to heave to lift. I let her take mine just to stop hearing it!

Should I just disassemble it to make it lighter and the the leaves to the top? Or call a pro? Anyone know a reliable installer that won't quote a whole new system?

Re: is installing garage door hard ? the wires came off the the door slammed into the crete
Posted by: greetings Sven ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:07PM

good job taking your meds today

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:12PM

First thing you have to do is get it square with the opening. Then you can bring it up by hand.If you don't want to do it yourself call Over Head door and they will get it strait.

There is a big spring attached to the door that can go crazy if not handled properly so be careful. Once the pressure is of the spring the door will be free so it will be heavy and come down hard so watch the kiddies and pets.

I suggest you put it on the HO insurance and call a pro.

Nip

Posted by: my thought too ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:19PM

greetings Sven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good job taking your meds today

+1

Capitalization and punctuation used

Only 2 posts in a row instead of 3+

No mentions of democrats coming to kill him.

Keep up the work sven, I'm so proud of you.

Posted by: slinky ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:44PM

The spring could kill you. Call a pro

Posted by: Jack Meoff ()
Date: April 07, 2015 10:47PM

Is installing garage door hard?

I know someone was moving in/out the same day. I hit the door opener to close it was unplucked. Unhooked the latch to do it manually - sshhhhhhhh WHAM ! Doors are slighly warped now, but maybe usable.

Had to be someone messing with the door during moving i just know it. But i know one side was a 1/8 higher than other do to damage on a different day.

The clopay people just installed that door a few years ago. the said bad installation is not covered. so much for clopay lifetime warrantee.

I looked at it and wires are unwound and unhooked on both sides.

Can it really be deadly re-installing a garage door or is that just hype?

Homo posts what?

Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: April 08, 2015 11:36AM

lifetime warranty- no company woudl warrant their products for improper installation.

but you need to be very careful with the coil wrapped springs... Even with the garage door is up whenthe spring are at their least tension. they are still a PITA to work with.

if the cables broke. they are easy enough to replace... but if the spring is broken. call a garage door guy...

Posted by: (the old) JC ()
Date: April 08, 2015 11:40AM

it's definitely doable for a homeowner, if you're comfortable with this kinda "fix it" type stuff. there are tons of videos on youtube about dealing with torsion springs, and i know they helped me out.

if your cable's all messed up now, they may have gotten all kinked up and need to be replaced.

i'd recommend calling someone and just watching what they do and asking questions. never a bad idea to pay to get the door fixed, and learn some stuff along the way.

Posted by: LppEj ()
Date: April 08, 2015 06:20PM

my thought too Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> greetings Sven Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > good job taking your meds today
>
>
> +1
>
> Capitalization and punctuation used
>
> Only 2 posts in a row instead of 3+
>
> No mentions of democrats coming to kill him.
>
>
> Keep up the work sven, I'm so proud of you.

attempt to trick failed !

Posted by: Do It Yourself And Pay More ()
Date: April 08, 2015 07:11PM

Hire a pro. Your best thinking got the door into the fucked situation that it is now in.

But go ahead and try to fix it your self to save a buck. It will only cost double to fix your double fuck up.

Posted by: you're welcome ()
Date: April 08, 2015 11:40PM

Call Cardinal Garage Doors. They're good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.