HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:08AM

tumblr_inline_nh7wpfLZtV1sour8w.jpghaupaw-trolo-o.giffile.php?40,file=192503,filename=obama-d

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 11:07PM by WingNut.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Side View Mirrors and VA State Inspection
Posted by: searcher ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:13AM

Posted by: Brian Peppers ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:27AM

The question- Does Commonwealth motor vehicle law require a passenger side mirror now?

The answer- no

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: December 15, 2010 10:47AM

If it didn't come with one it shouldn't be required. I had an old Carolla back in the day without it and never had any issues.

Posted by: mechanic ()
Date: December 15, 2010 11:56AM

easy to put on..just drill a couple holes..bingo! passenger mirror..

Eun Yang Vs. Annie Yu
Date: December 15, 2010 11:59AM

Awesome, that'll save me twenty bucks.

They really should change that law for the sake of safety, after I sell this car of course.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 11:57AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: December 15, 2010 01:56PM

Boy I'd hate to see your lane changes.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: December 15, 2010 02:09PM

You shouldn't be using side mirrors to change lanes anyway. You're supposed to look over your shoulder.

Eun Yang Vs. Annie Yu
Date: December 15, 2010 03:20PM

I usually just honk and ease my way over.

Date: December 15, 2010 03:46PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You shouldn't be using side mirrors to change
> lanes anyway. You're supposed to look over your
> shoulder.

Haha. What do you think side mirrors are for you nitwit? You must be one of those people who positions them so that they show what's behind you, so that they become redundant with your rear-view mirror and therefore useless.

No, side mirrors are there to eliminate your blind spot. And when positioned properly they do just that, thereby removing the need to look over one's shoulder when changing lanes. If you think looking behind you while you're driving a motor vehicle is safe, you probably text while driving too.

Perhaps you were raised in Maryland. That would explain everything.

Posted by: Reversed Image ()
Date: December 15, 2010 04:22PM

> ...You must be one of those people who positions them so that they show what's
> behind you, so that they become redundant with your rear-view mirror and
> therefore useless...

One of my pet peeves right there.

Posted by: bbw ()
Date: December 15, 2010 04:41PM

Good for you for buying a car cash, payments suck. See if you can register it in Maryland, after 20 years the car becomes historic and you can get historic tags, I dont think you need to get it through inspection then but I might be wrong. Go to a salvage yard and pick one up for $10, there is a place in Stafford that has a huge lot but you pick your own parts. It shouldnt take you longer then 20 minutes to install it, its pretty straight forward.

Posted by: strates ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:23PM

Kilton Wrote:

>
> Haha. What do you think side mirrors are for you
> nitwit? You must be one of those people who
> positions them so that they show what's behind
> you, so that they become redundant with your
> rear-view mirror and therefore useless.
>
> No, side mirrors are there to eliminate your blind
> spot. And when positioned properly they do just
> that, thereby removing the need to look over one's
> shoulder when changing lanes. If you think looking
> behind you while you're driving a motor vehicle is
> safe, you probably text while driving too.
>
> Perhaps you were raised in Maryland. That would
> explain everything.

Perhaps you are one of those people that forces me to slam on my brakes, because you are merging right while I'm in your blind spot.

Back in the day, I almost failed my drivers test for not looking over my shoulder to check my blind spots.

Google seems to agree that you should look over your shoulder... just ask it.
http://video.answers.com/driving-test-lane-changes-155905072

Note: I avoid driving in peoples blind spots, because I know people are capable of changing lanes at any moment in this area.

Date: December 15, 2010 06:32PM

strates Wrote:
>
> Perhaps you are one of those people that forces me
> to slam on my brakes, because you are merging
> right while I'm in your blind spot.

Nope. Nice try at being clever though.

I don't have a blind spot. And adjusting the side mirrors is the first thing I do when I drive a vehicle other than my own.

Mass training for amateurs will always recommend looking over the shoulder because it's easier than explaining precisely how to adjust size mirrors properly. People who actually know how to drive, on the other hand, know better.

Posted by: sticker ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:42PM

I just wish I could buy a sticker good at least through 6/11....I was able to do that successfully about 3 years ago, but the guy's number has since changed and it only cost me like $50! Or at least where I could pay to pass- tired of failing for something where the part alone is like $250 and its not like its my brakes or something critical! I'd rather pay someone $50-75 and keep it moving.....

Eun Yang Vs. Annie Yu
Date: December 15, 2010 10:03PM

sticker Wrote:
> I just wish I could buy a sticker good at least
> through 6/11....I was able to do that successfully
> about 3 years ago, but the guy's number has since
> changed and it only cost me like $50! Or at least
> where I could pay to pass- tired of failing for
> something where the part alone is like $250 and
> its not like its my brakes or something critical!
> I'd rather pay someone $50-75 and keep it
> moving.....

I usually don't do this but...

I've got VA Inspection stickers good until 11/2011.Bootlegs, but really good prints, they'll fool a state trooper. $100 FIRM

I'll be down at Krispy Kreme on Richmond Hwy tomorrow nite from 7 until 9. I'm the redheaded Chinese dude in the kilt and the coonskin cap.

Be discrete!

Posted by: dave ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:07AM

Kilton Wrote:
> strates Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Perhaps you are one of those people that forces
> me
> > to slam on my brakes, because you are merging
> > right while I'm in your blind spot.
>
> Nope. Nice try at being clever though.
>
> I don't have a blind spot. And adjusting the side
> mirrors is the first thing I do when I drive a
> vehicle other than my own.
>
> Mass training for amateurs will always recommend
> looking over the shoulder because it's easier than
> explaining precisely how to adjust size mirrors
> properly. People who actually know how to drive,
> on the other hand, know better.

Mass training will always teach you to glance over your shoulder because there is still a blind spot even when properly set up toolbag. No wonder why fairfax county has so many idiot drivers, especially on I66 b/c they all had the mass training you had.

I agree with you strates. I look in my side view mirrors but i trust what i actually see when i glance over my shoulder. All it takes is the right angle the right size car and the right spot along the side of your car and it will be almost dead in the blind spot, may not happen all the time but that one time will catch you.

Date: December 16, 2010 07:15AM

dave Wrote:
>
> Mass training will always teach you to glance over
> your shoulder because there is still a blind spot
> even when properly set up toolbag.

Nope. This is simply an admission that you're too stupid to position your side mirrors properly. Thank you for your honesty. :-)

Date: December 19, 2010 12:37AM

Kilton Wrote:
> dave Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Mass training will always teach you to glance
> over
> > your shoulder because there is still a blind
> spot
> > even when properly set up toolbag.
>
> Nope. This is simply an admission that you're too
> stupid to position your side mirrors properly.
> Thank you for your honesty. :-)

Here is my honesty, you are an idiot!!!

Now let me dumb down to meet your education level. Directly from wikihow under the warning section. I can find another source on the internet if you like.

Don't adjust mirrors while driving.

Be careful and peek over your shoulder to the side when changing lanes in highways with multiple lanes (more than 2). In most cars, this mirror adjustmet practically eliminates blind spots to a distance of about a lane, while cars (unlike bikes) can be seen from a distance of at least 1.5 lanes. Often, there still is a small blind-spot near the center beam of the car in the next lane, where a bike can be left undetected. One must look over his shoulder to the side to see this. Looking behind is unnecessary.

Looking over your shoulders gives you additional necessary information about the behavior of traffic around you that you can never get from mirrors no matter how well they are placed.

Did you pay attention in drivers education? Well, with the answers i have been reciving from you apparently not.

Date: December 19, 2010 06:23AM

Settle down there butterbean. No reason to use all those exclamation points. It's just the Internet -- why are you getting so emotional? :-)

You can post all the sources you like. I've already explained why the masses say that you must look over your shoulder -- it's the safest bet for the average moron like you who isn't capable of properly adjusting side mirrors. Imagine if Wikihow were to say something like this:

"The reason side mirrors exist is to eliminate one's blind spot. That's why they are there. And when positioned properly, that's what they do. So go ahead and position yours properly so that you don't have to turn your head around every time you want to make a lane change -- it's so much safer this way."

The above make-believe quote is actually the truth of the situation. But Wikihow can't say this, because then thousands of rocket scientists like you would start driving around with improperly-adjusted mirrors, causing accidents as far as the eye could see. Eventually Wikihow would get sued for every penny they have for giving unsafe advice. Is that what you want? Is it? Didn't think so. :-)

Listen bucko. I understand your frustration. Every time someone nearly changes lanes into you it's because they didn't look over their shoulder -- they either only looked at their improperly-adjusted mirror (the more common case) or they didn't look at all. But that doesn't mean it isn't possible to adjust mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Just because most people are incapable of something doesn't make it impossible.

Posted by: Rear View ()
Date: December 19, 2010 06:40AM

Ever since I had a right-hand mirror it's been adjusted to cover space not visible in either the other two mirrors. Almost as importantly, however, for the last 30-ish years I've had a convex mirror as the central one on almost all the cars I've owned, for example http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/2896L.jpg . The things work great and give that "over the shoulder" view without turning around.

Date: December 21, 2010 12:42AM

Kilton Wrote:
> Settle down there butterbean. No reason to use all
> those exclamation points. It's just the Internet
> -- why are you getting so emotional? :-)
>
> You can post all the sources you like. I've
> already explained why the masses say that you must
> look over your shoulder -- it's the safest bet for
> the average moron like you who isn't capable of
> properly adjusting side mirrors. Imagine if
> Wikihow were to say something like this:
>
> "The reason side mirrors exist is to eliminate
> one's blind spot. That's why they are there. And
> when positioned properly, that's what they do. So
> go ahead and position yours properly so that you
> don't have to turn your head around every time you
> want to make a lane change -- it's so much safer
> this way."
>

That would only make sense. What you see directly is not lying to you, but your properly adjusted mirrors may not show everything. I am actually curious how you properly adjust your mirrors since you know how or think you know how?

Date: December 21, 2010 08:21AM

It's actually pretty easy. You just have to be methodological about it.

The best way is in a parking lot. You pull up next to a small parked car (i.e., not some "man's" Suburban) and pull forward until you can't see it in your peripheral vision anymore. Then you adjust your side mirror so that you can see the front portion of the car in the mirror. This takes care of the critical "peripheral vision <-> side mirror" blind spot.

You also have to watch out for another blind spot, however -- the "rear mirror <-> side mirror" blind spot. This is never an issue when the side mirrors are improperly adjusted to show what's behind you, but when adjusting them to fix the 1st blind spot, if you go too far you can introduce this blind spot instead. The goal here is to make sure that as a car which is about to pass you leaves your rear mirror, they enter the side mirror. There should be no gap. You should actually be able to see the vehicle in both mirrors for a short time at the transition point.

Even after these initial parking lot adjustments you'll still have to tweak things a bit while driving until everything is perfect. This is done by watching vehicles in both mirrors while they pass you, making sure both of the aforementioned blind spots are covered. It's important to do this with various sized vehicles before you declare confidence, and to make sure there's enough overlap to cover motorcycles as well. During this verification phase you can lean forward a bit while looking out the side mirrors to double-check the 1st blind spot.

All of this of course assumes that other people aren't driving your car and regularly dicking around with your mirrors (or that you have one of those fancy cars that auto-adjusts your mirrors to a pre-configured state), because it isn't practical to do these steps every time you take the car out. If you share a car with wifey then I don't know what to tell you -- I guess keep looking over your shoulder and praying that turning your head away from the road every time you want to change lanes doesn't eventually get you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 08:21AM by Kilton.

Posted by: what a joke ()
Date: December 21, 2010 08:24AM

I have a back up camera and I use all my mirrors! Easy living.

Posted by: dam ()
Date: December 27, 2010 10:11PM

i got mine done today they are soo strict when it comes to this shit

Posted by: mother ()
Date: December 30, 2010 03:23PM

Virginia does not require the passenger side mirror to pass inspection, regardless of whether the car was manufactured with it or not.

Posted by: CoryT ()
Date: September 30, 2014 02:14PM

WOW people! I cant believe that there are people on here who actually think that your side view mirrors are FOR covering your blind spots. Um, NO! This is why accidents happen, because people are beyond stupid. Side view mirrors are for seeing whats behind you to the right and left, approx 25 feet and beyond. Anything thats at a direct 45 degree angle to your left or right behind you is in your BLIND SPOT. NO SIDE VIEW MIRROR CAN HELP YOUR SEE YOUR BLIND SPOT. This is why its called a BLIND spot. You MUST look over your shoulder to see your blind spot. Whatever "blind" spot you people think youre seeing is NOT your blind spot, hence because you cant see it. OMG this is common sense. This is why that Second Shooting at VA Tech happenend a long time ago. Because the shooter came up to the cops BLIND spot in his car. You think if the cop was able to see his entire view behind him, this event would have happened? No, obviously not.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: September 30, 2014 04:33PM

I use the side mirrors with the Electronic controls to adjust and blind the butthead that drives with High beams on behind me. It also helps when I back my Gas Guzzling 4x4 into a parking spot.

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: September 30, 2014 05:45PM

I agree with Kilton here...it IS possible to adjust ALL of your mirrors in concert such that you will have no rear-ward blindspots. He mentioned this in his post (and yes, I know I'm responding to something nearly 4 years old now...) but it bears repeating...

If a car comes up behind you...you will see that car in the rear-view mirror. And then when it changes lanes, you will see that in the appropriate side-view mirror. If visually everything is a smooth transition from one mirror to another? Then you don't have a blindspot and can rely solely on your mirrors for lane changes and keeping track of vehicles behind and to the side of you without over the shoulder visual checks.

If you're still unsure...Then with your mirrors adjusted properly in the driveway, try and have a friend stand in areas behind and to the side of your car so you can understand where the precise visual limits of your mirrors are.

Mirrors adjusted in concert this way can also help you make passes and lane changes. You change lanes and pass a car...how do you know when it's safe to pull back in front of that car you just passed without cutting him off? Glance in your rear view mirror...when you can see BOTH headlights of the car you are passing in your rear-view mirror (meaning they are far enough to your rear even though they're in the adjacent lane) then you can change lanes again in front of them and complete your pass.

Posted by: 4 more years! ()
Date: October 01, 2014 03:51PM

Love the old thread bumps!

Date: October 01, 2014 05:43PM

NOVA.Dude, +1000. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one out there who understands what side mirrors are for.

It ain't rocket science. :-)

Posted by: how cute for you two ()
Date: October 01, 2014 06:51PM

Looks like an internet love connection!

Posted by: dcp0515 ()
Date: March 30, 2015 07:33PM

You should NOT look over your shoulder! Doing so means you're taking your eyes off of the road in front of you. You should ALWAYS use your rearview and side mirrors, properly adjusted, for all lane changes and backups!

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: March 30, 2015 07:54PM

dcp0515 Wrote:
> You should NOT look over your shoulder! Doing so
> means you're taking your eyes off of the road in
> front of you. You should ALWAYS use your rearview
> and side mirrors, properly adjusted, for all lane
> changes and backups!

And for cripes sake...if you own a car with a blind spot detector? Do not trust these systems. Just because the indicator for the blind spot is off, doesn't mean you aren't going to cut someone off and possibly contribute to an accident. Turn the blind spot detection system off, or pull the bulb on the indicator and adjust your mirrors as indicated above.

No LEO and no judge is going to "let you off of a moving violation" because you claim that your blind spot indicator was off...

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: March 30, 2015 08:11PM

I always use hand signals when turning

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.