HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DC Cannabis and Fairfax County
Posted by: Spicoli ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:42AM

How will the legalization of Cannabis in DC effect Fairfax County? Will the ready supply from home growers and clubs cause the quality of cannabis in FFX to go up? Will the price go down? Will Arlington police lay in wait at the bridges with drug sniffing dogs to nab Fairfax residence importing cannabis?

What about job screening? Will Fairfax (and DC) employers be able to fire or not hire people that test positive for cannabis use? Can you fire someone for use of a legal substance while not on the job?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC Cannabis and Fairfax County
Posted by: Everything you need to know ()
Date: February 27, 2015 11:46AM

Posted by: evilstoner ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:17PM

I think potheads in VA have a reason to be more paranoid cause the cops will be even more on the lookout for those scary potsmokers.
Im curious to know when VA finally legalizes it too, if they will create another monopoly for themselves like ABC.
This state has some high taxes and theyre also able to monopolize their own for profit businesses? Wasnt till I moved to the northeast that I saw first hand how people exist for the government and not the way it should be.

Peace

Posted by: 18th Amendment ()
Date: February 27, 2015 01:42PM

evilstoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think potheads in VA have a reason to be more
> paranoid cause the cops will be even more on the
> lookout for those scary potsmokers.
> Im curious to know when VA finally legalizes it
> too, if they will create another monopoly for
> themselves like ABC.
> This state has some high taxes and theyre also
> able to monopolize their own for profit
> businesses? Wasnt till I moved to the northeast
> that I saw first hand how people exist for the
> government and not the way it should be.
>
> Peace

'potheads' really? Is everyone that drinks 'a drunk?'

I dont know where you moved from but I assume you came from some bastion of Libertarianism - Id be curious to know where. The ABC is a vestige of the repeal of prohibition. I agree it is BS sin-tax usury on the face of it. In reality alcohol and cigarettes are undertaxed based on the amount each costs society in terms of health care cost and lost production.

On another note it is interesting to see that when the 18th Amendment banned alcohol underground drinking establishments boomed and nearly doubled the number of bars existing before prohibition.

ABC in the Commonwealth was created to do what DC is being prevented from doing - regulating a legalized recreational drug. They created the ABC after the repeal of the 18th Amendment.

"The committee recommended a combination monopoly and license system patterned after the system then used in Quebec, Canada. The plan called for all hard liquors to be sold by the State with lighter beverages to be dispensed by licensees of the State. The committee also recommended that the system be administered by a three-man Alcoholic Beverage Control Board with certain powers to enforce liquor control in the State."

History of ABC here http://www.abc.virginia.gov/admin/hist1.htm

Prohibition http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_textbook.cfm?smtID=2&psid=3383

Posted by: k kron ()
Date: February 27, 2015 05:46PM

Purchasing or selling weed isn't legal in DC yet. Just smoking and growing up to six plants

Posted by: potential growers. ()
Date: February 27, 2015 07:07PM

k kron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Purchasing or selling weed isn't legal in DC yet.
> Just smoking and growing up to six plants

Thanks Capt. Obvious. How will free home grown killer weed effect NOVA? There will be a large supply across the river it has to have some impact. John Q public can now produce and 'give away' the yield of 3 mature plants every 4-6 weeks (flowering period) - half a pound every 6 weeks of chronic for indoors. That is a lot of product dumped in the market when you add up all the potential growers.

Posted by: Sorry Kids ()
Date: February 27, 2015 07:42PM

Sorry kids, even in DC you can't possess if under age 21. That eliminates 70% of the user community being permitted to possess the tiny amount allowed.

In Fairfax, if caught, you are arrested, regardless of age. No change here.

Listen to the grown-ups: Even if almost-legal, it's mostly to sooth the uneducated masses. If you want one of the gazillion jobs in companies that screen or maintain security clearances on their employees, you don't want this anywhere in your record or online profile.

Posted by: wake up america ()
Date: February 27, 2015 09:54PM

Uneducated masses? The uneducated masses are the ones against legalisation. The effect on marijuana prohibition is the same as alcohol prohibition in the 1920's. Granted, its still illegal in va and I won't encourage anyone to break the law, but the pros for legalisation far outweigh the cons. People just enjoy delagating how to live your lives to others. And you would be amazed at how many older professional types smoke on occasion. Its like most anything that's enjoyable (alcohol, junk food), no harm if used in moderation.

Posted by: Hate the smell ()
Date: February 28, 2015 08:21AM

The smell of burning weed makes me sick. Can I sue my neighbor for environmental pollution when the smell permeates the common walls?

Posted by: outlaw so many other plants ()
Date: February 28, 2015 08:30AM

because we have needed to outlaw so many other plants - cannabis is no exception...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.