HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What is FCPS teaching our kids?
Posted by: Nice Guy ()
Date: February 11, 2015 10:04PM

Today I was nice enough to Babysit my neighbors kids for FREE!! They are in 5th and 3rd grade.. Today I asked them what they did in school today, and they both said "Nothing" and then I asked them if they knew what Roman numerals are and they said they didn't. I asked them if they could read cursive they said NOPE. What are they teaching them? The 5th grader said her teacher yeslls a lot and she mean. I check her name out and she earning about 70k. so why are we paying a lady 70,000 to yell at an 11 year old and not teach them how to write in cursive or roman numerals?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is FCPS teaching our kids?
Posted by: When in Rome ()
Date: February 11, 2015 10:08PM

1. Kids are little shits
2. There is literally no point in cursive just like algebra
3. Are we in Rome?

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: February 11, 2015 10:09PM

For one, they’re not your kids; and for two, I don’t believe you’re a “Nice Guy”. More likely you are a bitchy woman digging up trash for something else to bitch about. Any more questions?

Posted by: she mean ()
Date: February 11, 2015 10:19PM

You're also either slow or an ESL patient

Posted by: she mean ()
Date: February 11, 2015 10:19PM

You're also either slow or an ESL patient

Posted by: lookoutbelow ()
Date: February 11, 2015 11:42PM

It's a troll

Posted by: Jewvee ()
Date: February 11, 2015 11:58PM

Ya think?

Posted by: h6Cnx ()
Date: February 12, 2015 10:40AM

Unfortunately cursive is no longer taught in most schools.

I think it would still be helpful if the Elementary Schools put up the cursive alphabet in front of the room so as the kids are daydreaming or looking past the teacher they can still pick up and learn what cursive looks like.

But with SOL/Common Core type of planning, although VA does not officially follow Common Core, they do cater to it, some things are going out the window.

As for Roman Numerals, not sure where they stand on this, my kids know about them and they are helpful to know for many reasons.

The problem these days is kids are taught to the test rather than to think and given building blocks to build on and to develop problem solving skills.

Posted by: nothingnew ()
Date: February 12, 2015 11:15AM

a. I have kids (and friends kids) in FCPS and I have learned that just because they say a teacher "yelled" at them... well, that can mean anything. In some cases, it just means the teacher cracked down on them or is just not an easy grader and has high expectations. Or they occasionally raise their voice. Or we did discover that in one situation the teacher really was yelling and apparently had some anger issues. But to take your neighbor's kids comments and turn it into an attack on a teacher you don't know is unwise.

b. Cursive is useless and inefficient and outdated - in the age of technology, typing is far more practical and needed than handwriting.

c. My kids learned Roman numerals in FCPS - so either your neighbors kids didn't retain it or haven't learned it yet.

Posted by: duh001 ()
Date: February 12, 2015 11:15AM

The white kids are given books to read while the illegal alien roaches and rodent spawn are taught the bare minimum of what they need to pass the SOL. If you think kids are going to learn something in fcps, you are a delusional idiot.

It's all about bringing the illegal alien roaches and rodent spawn up to the minimum so they can vote democrat and get free stuff from the government.

Posted by: xtchr ()
Date: February 12, 2015 01:20PM

The kids have to learn Roman numerals. Otherwise, how will they know which Super Bowl it is? (Next year, Super Bowl L. What the hell is that?) As for cursive, the kids don't need to know how to write at all. Mostly they type on their keyboards. The rest of the time they are just filling in little bubbles on the standardized test answer sheets.

Posted by: Ask Boosterthon ()
Date: February 13, 2015 08:01PM

According to a contract found on the FCPS site, a contract has been let to have Boosterthon teach character lessons. Since many of the Boosterthon people are former fraternity members, this probably means an emphasis on goofing off and humiliating others. The humiliation part is part and parcel of Boosterthon fundraising.

Posted by: BillyBobJo ()
Date: February 13, 2015 10:09PM

FFX CUTY doesn't need to teach the white kids anything, there parents make enough money to support them for life. The only thing those schools teach is english to the foreigners and gang life for the illegals.

Posted by: Former Taxpayer ()
Date: February 13, 2015 10:38PM

I moved out of that hell hole when I saw this at my neighborhood school
Attachments:
B9vzc0JIgAAyQBC.jpg

Posted by: goat fucking raghead ()
Date: February 14, 2015 01:31AM

I'm sure they're all too busy learning about the pedo prophet and Islam.

Posted by: seen it ()
Date: February 14, 2015 08:03AM

Elective classes are a joke and when subs fill in the dvd player gets a workout. Actually instructional time over a semester is 50 percent if your lucky.

Posted by: pride goeth before the fall ()
Date: February 14, 2015 08:58AM

We had a neighbor like the OP. He used to quiz our kids about goings-ion at elementary school. He is a graduate of a well-known Catholic university, and his kids attended Catholic schools. I am a public university graduate and our kids attended public schools. His kids eneded up at Christopher Newport and VCU. Ours ended up turning down offers of Rodman Scholar at UVa and Monroe Scholar at William and Mary, among many others. The OP should ask our former neighbor how superior he feels now.

Date: February 14, 2015 03:15PM

cursive does seem irrelevant in today's world, but it still seems like a part of educational culture will be gone for ever. No more signatures seems odd.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: February 14, 2015 04:35PM

As a teacher, I will often hear students say things like, "We do nothing in that class," or "We learned nothing." Just recently, I gave a midterm exam only to have one very low level student say, "None of those questions were on the review packet." Hmm, well I guess everyone else must have walked in knowing everything or STUDIED. Go figure! Students make comments like that all of the time, "We learned nothing," "We do nothing," etc. Those statements are meaningless to me as I've come to realize that what that student really means is, if you're not walking them through their work every minute of the class, doing hands on activities, or getting on them about missed assignments, then they did "nothing" that day. Generally, lower level students make those comments and it's because they don't understand lecturing, taking notes, and doing independent work. They associate learning with walking them through things for 90 minutes. They don't understand the concept of discussions, lectures, or notes. To them, that is doing "nothing." If you give them an assignment after lecturing for 20 minutes, they sit there and go, " I don't know how to do it. You didn't us anything." Where as a higher level students, can think, process, and retain, during those 20 minutes, enough to apply what you were talking about and complete the assignment on their own. I see it every year, and it's always the lower level students who say, "we do nothing." Sorry to break that to you, but they think 100% teacher hand held learning for 90 minutes is learning.

Posted by: ABC ()
Date: February 15, 2015 04:50PM

New law requires anti-bullying training

By Ashley McLeod, Capital News Service
05/10/12

Thousands of students in schools across the country are subjected to bullying by their peers on a daily basis. Now Virginia is doing something about the problem.

During its 2012 session, the General Assembly passed legislation requiring teachers and other school personnel to receive training on anti-bullying tactics. Gov. Bob McDonnell has signed the legislation into law; it will take effect in July.

Lawmakers approved two identical measures – Senate Bill 271 and House Bill 504. They will require the Virginia Center for School Safety to provide employees in Virginia schools with training on how to stop bullying. State officials say such training has become necessary as bullying has become more common.

“Recent school safety audits conducted by the Virginia Center for School Safety show that it is a top concern of students in elementary, middle and high schools,” said Donna Michaelis, manager of campus and school safety at the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services, which operates the center.

“Approximately one-quarter of school principals agreed or strongly agreed that bullying is a problem at their school.”

Delegate Rosalyn Dance, D-Petersburg, introduced HB 504 with support from McDonnell. After being shown a draft of the bill by Virginia Secretary of Public Safety Marla Graff Decker, Dance agreed to sponsor the legislation.

“Having read the bill and reviewing the negative impact of bullying around the country – verbal and physical abuse that had led to death from murder or suicide – I knew this was a situation waiting for a voice to speak to the issue here in Virginia,” Dance said.

She said the training will give teachers a better understanding of what bullying is. They will learn how to spot behaviors (by both the victim and the perpetrator) associated with bullying. Moreover, school employees will learn intervention and prevention techniques.

The training also will cover alternative punishments for those who bully, other than expulsion or suspension.

At the General Assembly’s request, the Virginia Department of Education last year conducted a study to determine whether policy changes were needed to combat bullying in schools. This year’s legislation was passed in response to that study.

Michaelis said the anti-bullying training also will include information on the rising problem of cyberbullying. Online bullying – using social media, cellphones and other technology – and has led to suicides in some parts of the country.

The Virginia Center for School Safety currently offers a wide range of courses for teachers to attend regarding bullying prevention, conflict management and other topics. It will combine the new training into existing programs.

“The center offers approximately 50-75 trainings per year as well as two major conferences targeting school and campus safety professionals,” Michaelis said. “It is anticipated that they can incorporate aspects of these practices into existing anti-bullying training.”

While the center will train school personnel on how to deal with bullying, everyone – including parents and students – must be involved in addressing the problem, officials say.

“It is the responsibility of school divisions to provide training to teachers and all staff on preventing bullying and establishing a school climate of safety and freedom from bullying,” said Cynthia Cave, director of student services at the Virginia Department of Education.

“We provide technical assistance and on-site professional development activities to individual schools, school divisions and parents regarding specific issues concerning bullying.”

The new law underscores the importance of preventing bullying and bullying-related suicides among young people.

“Everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect and should not have to live in fear of someone harming them just because of the way they look, act or view the world we live in,” Dance said.

On the web
You can find the Virginia Department of Education’s report about anti-bullying policies in the state’s public schools at http://tinyurl.com/bullying-study

The new law mandating anti-bullying training for school personnel is at http://tinyurl.com/bullying-law

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.