HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Shower remodel in Master Bath
Posted by: Shower remodel ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:48PM

I'm planning on remodeling the entire master bath except for the shower portion of it, which I'd like to have a contractor do. Right now it is just a tub with shower curtain, but the plan is to have a stand up tiled shower with a glass door.

Couple questions:

1) Planning to do demo myself...what would the estimate be for this type of job?
2) Would I need a permit to move pipes from the low tub position to a standing shower?
3) Any suggestions for great local contractors that you've used?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shower remodel in Master Bath
Posted by: ConTracter ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:52PM

1. Go to Lowes and find out.
2. Not unless you tell someone.
3. Google is your Friend.

Posted by: Loch Ness Monster ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:58PM

1 - about $15k as a start for moderate-grade materials.

2 - technically, yes. you may need an inspection for the plumbing work since it's not a remove-and-replace deal.

3 - Michael & Sons are good, but may be higher than the estimate above. There are 1000s of contractors in the area, so consult the Google and get at least 3 bids.

Posted by: Thanks... ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:10PM

ConTracter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Go to Lowes and find out.
> 2. Not unless you tell someone.
> 3. Google is your Friend.

Lowes wouldn't be doing the labor...I could estimate materials, but don't know what the going rate for labor is. Google and I aren't on speaking terms right now either. Don't tell me who my friends are!

Posted by: 15k? ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:11PM

Loch Ness Monster Wrote:
> 1 - about $15k as a start for moderate-grade
> materials.
>
> 2 - technically, yes. you may need an inspection
> for the plumbing work since it's not a
> remove-and-replace deal.
>
> 3 - Michael & Sons are good, but may be higher
> than the estimate above. There are 1000s of
> contractors in the area, so consult the Google and
> get at least 3 bids.

$15k just for the shower?? I could see $15k for the entire bathroom, but not just the shower portion.

Posted by: Jack Hammer ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:14PM

I'd check out Checkbook Magazine for local contractor ratings, it's probably worth the online subscription cost for a project that size. Also you can do a complaint look up on the Fairfax County Consumer Protection website. Don't know much about Angie's list and I heard the BBB can be bought but they may be worth a try.

Like mentioned by others get a least 3 bids and pin them down on a start and completion date.

Posted by: Paula Villafuerte ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:16PM

I had mine done with a guy named jose he is great!!! and not at all expensive !!!!! Jose Arias 202-812-8906 good luck

Posted by: Pooppp ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:41PM

I avoid any contractor that does radio ads. If they have to spend that much on advertising, just think what your cost is going to be to cover those ads.

Date: January 17, 2014 03:44PM

Pooppp,

I agree with you on that! I use people who my friends refer and they always do a great job and very affordable too

Date: January 17, 2014 03:46PM

I had my bathroom completely renovated and it cost me 7500 and it looks beautiful :)

Posted by: NOT Michael and Sons ()
Date: January 17, 2014 03:49PM

DO NOT use Micheal and Sons...complete rip off with untrained and un professional workers..There is a reason the advertise so much...no repeat business!

Posted by: happy customer ()
Date: January 17, 2014 04:07PM

Metropolitan Bath - they did our entire bath a while back. We had a hard deadline for them to be done a few years back (baby was on the way) and they finished 2 days early.

They were a little more expensive than the others (%10) but they did a great job and were done quickly. They also didn't nickel/dime us like some others have on a few last minute items that should have been obvious but weren't in the orig write-up ("oh you want me to finish/stain that door threshold? $25")

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: January 17, 2014 04:27PM

We used Two Poor Teachers. They were great!

Posted by: Joke? ()
Date: January 18, 2014 09:33AM

Paula Villafuerte Wrote:
> I had mine done with a guy named jose he is
> great!!! and not at all expensive !!!!! Jose Arias
> 202-812-8906 good luck

Can't tell if this is laced with sarcasm or not?? If so, good joke! If not, good joke!

Posted by: Thank you Paula ()
Date: January 18, 2014 12:59PM

I called and he came over to give an estimate thank you.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 18, 2014 01:13PM

1. I don't remember who did ours. They were good, especially the plumber and it turned out nice. However they kept trying to turn the project into something appropriate for a McMansion in Great Falls rather than an 1,800 sq. ft. residence. Result was the job cost more than it should have for what it was. $15k probably isn't out of line with what some would charge, but you should be able to get it done for much less. How much depends on what it is you want.

2. You are supposed to get a permit. You may have to get electrical as well as plumbing. A reputable builder will want to do the work with all necessary permits. You may be able to get by without one if you use a small operation, if you use people working on the side or if you GC it yourself. One thing to remember though is that not getting a permit might make things easier during the construction, but if you need to file an insurance claim or when you sell the property not having a permit might become a problem.

3. Not really. See point 1.

Posted by: Cera ()
Date: January 19, 2014 11:28PM

Definitely Moss Building & Design located in Chantilly. They do fabulous work and have great reviews! Highly recommended

http://www.mossbuildinganddesign.com/

Posted by: Lake Royal Contractor ()
Date: January 20, 2014 05:01AM

Shower remodel Wrote:
> 3) Any suggestions for great local contractors
> that you've used?

There's one in Lake Royal that has some great ideas on how to get "free" contracting work. The only catch is you need to help him load the bodies on his truck for later dumping in the county.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.