HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Burke Lake Golf Course Driving Range
Posted by: CCCCCCd ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:29AM

Does anyone know the details about what the county is planning to do as far as renovating the Burke Lake Driving range? I have heard a sports bar and grill and a two level driving range, as well as adding another 100 parking spaces (I guess from the park area).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burke Lake Golf Course Driving Range
Posted by: Lamb Chop ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:39AM

Lamb Center South Campus Extension.

Posted by: NOVA.Dude ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:04AM

It's caught in bureaucracy...it's probably a few years off yet but, there are no immediate plans to make any renovations to the Burke Lake Golf Course Driving Range. It was talked about many times throughout 2014 but, the county's budget committee has identified several other projects elsewhere as being of a higher priority.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:17AM

No such plans. Only renovation is to add more sand to the sand traps.

Posted by: Bad Idea ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:28AM

These are not improvements. Don't turn a pleasant place into Top Golf. Burke Lake is pretty scenic most of the year and double decker driving ranges look like shit.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: January 13, 2015 01:52PM

I always aim for the vehicle trying to retrieve the balls. It's kind of like a golf Zamboni.

Posted by: afe fsdf ()
Date: February 04, 2015 09:54AM

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/plandev/burke-lake-golf-ppea.htm

proposal for driving range.

Does not seem in keeping with a park setting.

Posted by: Silas.Burke ()
Date: February 04, 2015 10:09AM

Thanks for posting the link, "afe".

Can someone please explain to me what an unsolicited bid means? I thought in order for any public funds to be spent, there had to be a formal decision by the existing legislature to the effect of, "We want this project. We've voted for this project. Let's put together an RFP and bid it out." And then there's a bid process and a bid review process and then the legislature selects a bid and the project begins.

Burke Lake Park and Burke Lake Golf Course are very hallowed ground in my family. That's where I learned to play golf in the 70's. That's where I played my first round of golf with my Dad and in a few years when my son learns the game that's where I hope my Dad and I can take him.

What I always liked about it is that it's basically the same place I remember since 1974. I guess it's like Johnny Cade said when he quoted Robert Frost, "Nothing gold can stay..."

This is going to ruin a real gem of NOVA. They're going to turn it into Top Golf. There'll be bad 90's grunge rock, overpriced and overcooked food, overpriced warm, short poured beer served by unattractive staff and video game hitting stations.

Posted by: i no ()
Date: February 04, 2015 05:39PM

An unsolicited bid is common by smart businesses and salespeople.
Say you built a better mousetrap. Instead of waiting for a procurement announcement, you go the the got, put on a great dog and pony show, and tell them abc agency has mice but only your mousetrap can catch this variety.
You get to write the bid and specs and have an outstanding chance ofwinning the award.
Its how are won and lost.

Posted by: i no ()
Date: February 04, 2015 05:41PM

Damn autocorrect.

You go to the govt and put on...

Its how empires are won and lost.

Posted by: Pe7mL ()
Date: February 04, 2015 06:30PM

Silas.Burke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> This is going to ruin a real gem of NOVA. They're
> going to turn it into Top Golf. There'll be bad
> 90's grunge rock, overpriced and overcooked food,
> overpriced warm, short poured beer served by
> unattractive staff and video game hitting
> stations.

Exactly. Same group that developed Top Golf in Alexandria.

So much for buying a couple of buckets of balls and chilling for a while with your buds or the kids.

Posted by: Sleeper ()
Date: February 04, 2015 06:43PM

CCCCCCd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know the details about what the county
> is planning to do as far as renovating the Burke
> Lake Driving range? I have heard a sports bar and
> grill and a two level driving range, as well as
> adding another 100 parking spaces (I guess from
> the park area).

They are breaking ground in the spring to build a series mattress stores and using Vienna as a model.

Posted by: LB ()
Date: February 15, 2015 12:14PM

The "unsolicited" proposal is for KC Management to renovate the existing golf driving range into a double-deck electronically scored monstrosity. They will then fully operate it, determine pricing, etc. as a private enterprise on public land. Costs will definitely skyrocket.

Then they plan to build a restaurant and event room that they will operate on their own and how they want. It will quickly become a party venue.

They also plan to take a chunk out of the existing entrance area to the park and pave it over for almost 300 more parking spaces. They are going to put up these huge unseemly nets that will destroy the view over the front end of the park.

They envision a lot of money to be made here at fairly little expense, all they have to do is buy some county supervisors to approve it. Meanwhile the regular users of the park get shafted.

What a deal.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.