HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lake Braddock basketball coach takes his case on "Controversial call" to league officials
Posted by: High School Sports ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:05PM

Controversial call raises questions about VHSL
Lake Braddock basketball coach takes his case to league officials
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140115/SPORTS/140119418/1076/fairfax-board-signs-off-on-centreville-roundabout/Controversial-call-raises-questions-about-VHSL&template=fairfaxTimes

Grant Gittens’s buzzer beater last Friday night did more than lift Annandale to an unlikely double overtime victory against Conference 7 rival Lake Braddock. Before his three-point heave sent frenzied students pouring onto the court in celebration, the senior guard ignited an even greater uproar the moment he touched the ball.

The play still echoing through the halls of both schools began under Annandale’s basket with 0.2 seconds left to play in double overtime. His team leading 78-77, Lake Braddock coach Brian Metress had just called timeout to confirm with the referee that the only shot Annandale could get off in time was a tip. According to Metress, the referee confirmed it, and Bruins assistant Cornell Felton reconfirmed it with the official two more times before the players got into position for the final play.

Metress, now in his 30th year coaching high school ball in Northern Virginia, had encountered this scenario before. It summoned a rule that took hold at the high school, college and professional levels when shot clocks were modified to include tenths of a second in the early 1990s. According to Section 5-2-5 of the National Federation of High Schools rule book, “When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, the player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation, only a tap could score.”

After reiterating that rule to his team, Metress sent his five tallest players onto the court, three of them standing at least 6-feet-6-inches.

“I said, ‘Nobody leaves the lane,’” Metress recalled on Monday. “‘Don’t guard anybody on the three point line, don’t guard anybody on a jump shot. Only guard the guys who they might throw a lob to.’”

On the other side, second-year Annandale coach Matt Behne instructed two of his best leapers to prepare themselves for a lob into the paint. He sent another player onto the far wing and told Gittens to stand on the other wing near junior point guard Austin Hall, who would throw the inbound pass.

“You put guys in a position, you tell them what to do, but they’re high school kids, they’re teenagers,” Behne said Tuesday, confirming that he and his players were aware of the aforementioned rule. “It’s a pressure situation. They’re going to try to follow what you say, but you teach guys in basketball to be proactive instead of reactive because it’s all about seeing something and making a change. You have to do that on the fly as you play offense and defense. My guy saw five guys defending the one guy we wanted to get the ball to, and he made a decision.”

Without hesitation, Hall tossed the ball to Gittens, putting it on his dominant left hand so that he could quickly hoist a shot. The moment he did that, Metress waived his arms and began walking toward midcourt to shake hands with Behne. He was surprised to see the ball ripple the net, but he was far more surprised to see the referee he had spoken to earlier signal that the basket was good before jogging toward the dressing room.

Metress knew that the outcome of the game could only be decided on the court in the moments after the final whistle. He remained on the floor waiting for an official to return, but the four men in stripes had packed it in for good.

“Every one of our players, fans and parents knew the rule. Everybody in the gym knew the rule,” Metress said. “I actually took a poll with my Latin students today. Eight of 25 Latin students knew the rule that you can’t score a jumper with under 0.3.”

The result was final, but Lake Braddock spent the ensuing days doing everything in its power to change it. Their failure to do so begged questions about the Virginia High School League’s stance on rectifying errors in judgement.

On Saturday morning Lake Braddock Director of Student Activities Mark Martino got on the phone with a senior member of the Cardinal Basketball Officials Association, which reviewed several still shots and video clips of the controversial play. The CBOA admitted its four officials at Friday’s game had made a mistake.

“I think it’s clear that the basket should not have been allowed to count,” a senior CBOA member said Tuesday. “[The officials] were absolutely aware of the rule. That’s part of the problem here is where the disconnect went. At what point did we forget that there was 0.2 left on the clock and that we could not have a catch-and-shoot situation?”

Though they admitted to the mistake, the CBOA could do nothing to alter the game’s outcome. Martino took the matter up with the VHSL on Monday, but their response was even more discouraging. The VHSL representative pointed to a longstanding rule in the organization’s handbook, which states in Section 32-1-1, “No protests will be considered which are based upon the real or alleged failure of contest officials to interpret or apply game or contest rules properly, or to render correct decisions in matters of judgement.”

The handbook goes on to say that an official’s final decision cannot be overturned by the league unless it is determined that the official “incorrectly permitted a contest to be suspended, a tie to be broken, or a tie to stand in contradiction to the game rules adopted by the league.” For instance, if instead of playing a four-minute overtime period as required by rule, officials decided that the first team to score in the OT would be the winner, that would be a situation in which the league could intercede.

Joyce Sisson, the VHSL’s Assistant Director for Athletics in charge of the basketball officials program, expressed regret that the error was made but insisted her hands were tied.

“My response was that there really wasn’t anything the league could do about it,” said Sisson, who refereed high school basketball for 25 years. “Obviously it was an official’s error, but our handbook doesn’t allow for protests in that situation.”

Metress contends that the real issue at stake is not the official’s judgement error on the buzzer beater; rather, he believes the officials violated handbook rules when they neglected to resolve differences of opinion during the game. Metress points to the part of Section 32-1-1 that reads, “Differences of opinion which arise during the progress of the contest must be considered on the spot.”

Metress claims that his staff’s attempt to waive off Gittens’s shot as it was in the air constituted a difference of opinion during the game. In Metress’s view, the officials’ refusal to acknowledge that difference of opinion denied his team the only remedy sanctioned by the league for such situations.

Still, the VHSL stuck firmly with its initial position that nothing could be done. When asked whether VHSL officials might be open to re-examining its policy, Sisson suggested it would be unlikely.

“You really just open yourself up to the proverbial Pandora’s box when you start looking at games and deciding that officials made a mistake and that the other team should have won,” Sisson said. “I think it just opens you up to all kinds of possibilities where you’re second-guessing officials in a time that there’s a close contest or a controversial call. Our handbook is very specific about the things that you could change, and none of those things happened in this case.”

Lake Braddock coach Brian Metress protested the outcome of Friday’s game against Annandale but ran into a wall with the VHSL.
Attachments:
AR-140119418.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lake Braddock basketball coach takes his case on "Controversial call" to league officials
Posted by: J Wooed ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:36PM

Metress is an excellent coach. He teaches his players the right way to play the game.

Re: Lake Braddock basketball coach takes his case on "Controversial call" to league officials
Posted by: protester ()
Date: January 16, 2014 03:43PM

That's just plain wrong. If the coach HADN'T called a time out and just clarified the rule with the ref, and then the ref made the wrong call you could say the coach is out of luck. But the coach chose the players he put on the floor based on confirming with the ref what the rule was. The fact the the refs fled the scene would lead you to believe they knew they made a mistake. Why can't a ref do the right thing and self-correct a bad call. Or at least the refs should have had a conference and re-confirm what each saw and what the rule is.

Posted by: rule ()
Date: January 16, 2014 08:13PM

I don't really get the rule. Why is the type of shot restricted under .3s ????

Posted by: refdaddy ()
Date: January 16, 2014 08:36PM

Cecil should send this crew to work 5th grade girl's games for the balance of the season.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to remedy the incorrect outcome of the game. Kudos to Coach Metress for not throwing a conniption fit in the face of such utter incompetence. If I were in his position I would be on this forum asking help to make my bail for aggravated assault against the officiating crew.

Date: January 16, 2014 09:02PM

All rule sets (NFHS, NCAA and NBA) are identical on this ruling...
If the ball is put in play after a TO with less than 3/10ths of a second showing on the clock, the only allowable action is a 'tip'. Any controlled action such as a 'catch and shoot' is deemed, BY RULE, to have taken longer than the remaining 3/10th of a second and cannot possibly result in a valid score.

The proper action of the officials is, as soon as the ball is caught and not tipped, to sound the whistle thereby negating the basket. Unfortunately, this crew had a brain fart and allowed the basket to count.

Posted by: Spilt Milk ()
Date: January 16, 2014 09:45PM

Shouldn't have hired that bitch to coach girls a few years ago.

Posted by: Chess.Club ()
Date: January 16, 2014 11:28PM

What's..."basketball"?

Posted by: Joe Forte ()
Date: January 17, 2014 08:19AM

There's video of the final play on this page...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2197008/33-will-gregorits#

Posted by: Dribbler ()
Date: January 17, 2014 08:21AM

Joe Forte Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's video of the final play on this page...
>
> http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2197008/33-will-gregor
> its#

Thanks for posting!

Posted by: No Einstein ()
Date: January 17, 2014 09:02AM

The theory being not humanly probable to completely catch and release a shot within .3 of a second. The rule allows for a tip(open palm re-direction) of the ball towards the goal. In that case the ball will not rest in the shooters hands. It is not probable that you can catch a ball and biomechanically release the ball with the wrist motion needed to direct the ball in a particular direction in under .3 of a second. Just my 2 cents. Although I am totally not a fan of Braddock, they were robbed.

Posted by: LogicPlease ()
Date: January 17, 2014 10:09AM

Do they teach anything in school anymore?

The theory of the rule is that it is not humanly POSSIBLE (meaning impossible) to get a catch and shot off in .3 seconds. If it were not PROBABLE (which by definition means it is possible) then they would not have taken it out of the hands of the refs and made it a tip only rule.

Date: January 17, 2014 10:33AM

I may be a little slow but I don't see anything but a still shot taken prior to the play. Another link?

Posted by: The Internet is easy ()
Date: January 17, 2014 12:00PM

refdaddy Wrote:
> I may be a little slow but I don't see anything
> but a still shot taken prior to the play. Another
> link?

Scroll down two inches.

Posted by: to LogicPlease ()
Date: January 17, 2014 12:38PM

But in reality Braddock lost because three ref's and a clock operator made the impossible possible which is why I chose the word probable in the first place you wanna be mr spock logic freak. HAHAHAHAhaha. Braddock lost on what you noted as impossible. With human error lots of things thought to be impossible can happen. They do teach us how to draw brilliant folks like you into the discussion. I know I am just a dumb jock but I fully understand the words chosen in my post.
The only true way to show it is completely impossible is to get every human on earth to attempt the quick catch and release, if all fail then yes it would be impossible. Maybe I did learn a couple things in school.

Posted by: Iwilltypeslowly ()
Date: January 17, 2014 01:05PM

to LogicPlease Wrote:
> But in reality Braddock lost because three ref's
> and a clock operator made the impossible possible
> which is why I chose the word probable in the
> first place you wanna be mr spock logic freak.
> HAHAHAHAhaha. Braddock lost on what you noted as
> impossible. With human error lots of things
> thought to be impossible can happen. They do
> teach us how to draw brilliant folks like you into
> the discussion. I know I am just a dumb jock but I
> fully understand the words chosen in my post.
> The only true way to show it is completely
> impossible is to get every human on earth to
> attempt the quick catch and release, if all fail
> then yes it would be impossible. Maybe I did learn
> a couple things in school.

So lacking in logic and can't read, what a shame. I did not say it was impossible to do it in .3 seconds. I said the THEORY of the rule was that is was impossible. If it was believed (by the rules committee) to be improbable (and thus possible) they would not have made it a rule. There may be some human on earth that could do this, but the rules committee didn't think so.

Grow up!

Posted by: Mr. Set the record straight ()
Date: January 17, 2014 01:20PM

The official in the picture with Metress was not one of the three officials on this game. This picture was taken from another game.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: January 20, 2014 05:10AM

Mr. Set the record straight Wrote:
> The official in the picture with Metress was not
> one of the three officials on this game. This
> picture was taken from another game.

Who cares?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.